First time using flood and drain hydroponics, I need help!!!!

• Thread starter EL APACHE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hiboy

hiboy

To flush set your ph at your desired level in your flushing container (the rez) and pump water from there thru a hose or some sort and let it flow for a minute or so at each rw cube. Reset your rez with your desired nutes at a lower strength (half) and water in 12 hrs.
hiboy

EL APACHE

EL APACHE

Thanx hiboy. I will do that. I don't think my plants are locked out but I will feel much better knowing that they are getting a fresh start with the proper water, nutes and PH.
Thanx agen Hiboy

stickyicky

stickyicky

I wonder if I should flush? Now I noticed 3 plants starting to droop and get a slight yellow tint on the bigger leafs. And how should I flush them?

I flush/leach drain to waste myself. I also add a little h202 to help clean things out. Great results using this method.

My lemons like it too!

DSCN4237
DSCN4181
DSCN4177
DSCN4259
DSCN4260
DSCN4186
EL APACHE

EL APACHE

So I flushed out 3 days ago, with tap water at 5.5ph. I let it sit for 15 hrs and started my feeding 2 hrs after light cycle started. It has been 2 days since feeding, but I notice the rockwool is still dripping wet. So do I feed? Or wait 1 day to allow the rockwool do dry up some more?
I did notice that they started to reach out for the light much better. I also notices some roots really streaching out more.
I also noticed that with the tap water I have a build up of some kind in my Rez.. That's why I had wished to use R/O water from the start. At my house we have some real hard water, but I do have a filter on my tap. My ppm is at 265 out the tap.
So if I would like to use R\O water, what do I need to add besides cal-mag? And at what ppm would I need to get it to? Before I add my nutes? I have a 25 gal Rez.:bongsmi:

Giddeon

Giddeon

I was going about it all wrong!! I was using r/o water. So now I have tap water going. My ppm was at 250 out of the tap. And my ph was at 5. After added my nutes. I hope I didn't cause damage to my herbs.
So what shoud my humidity be at. I'm doing all this in a 4x4 tent, 600 air cooled.

Humidity is all really what works best for you. The general "safe zone" is between 60 - 70% for veg and 40 - 60% in bloom. I personally run my room at 75 - 80% in veg and 60 - 70% in flower. I also have certain precautionary items so I won't develop a mold or PM problem running a higher RH.

F

farmerRay

keep it low to start with... most would say flood times and durations depend on plant size. but i think farmer jon should explain to the newbs how screening improves yields.

EL APACHE

EL APACHE

keep it low to start with... most would say flood times and durations depend on plant size. but i think farmer jon should explain to the newbs how screening improves yields.

Please Farmer John!!!!!! explain screening!

K

killa killa kk

I use coco too!! I like the root protection and less prone to algae on bottom of tray. If I don't use coco, I fill my table w/ approx. 3" thick layer of hydroton. I like how hydroton dries out on top and you can water less, cuz down below hydroton is holding plenty of nutes at all times for the ladies. You don't "dry out" your medium. Hydroponics man! Make sure to aerate the rez too!! Welcome Farmer!!

Good Luck

I have some roots sticking out of the bottom of my 6 inch pots..is it still ok to cover the bottom of the tray with hydroton and set the pots on top??

stickyicky

stickyicky

I have some roots sticking out of the bottom of my 6 inch pots..is it still ok to cover the bottom of the tray with hydroton and set the pots on top??

I would make sure the pot is flooded at least half way up. If you set it on top of rock your not gonna get enough height. You can set the pots on the tray, cover w/ hydroton (round!) and overcome the jossling around of roots no problem. If flowering it's gonna cause a little shock. Transplanting always will! I would do it. Just be genteel. Make sure to pack the table so rock is'nt rollin around your roots when flooding.

Good Luck!

stickyicky

stickyicky

Please Farmer John!!!!!! explain screening!

I think he's referring to the picture of the table below. Placing a grid/screen over the top will give support and keep plants in their lanes so to speak. Really a must with short purples IMO. Super Grape Ape is the plant below.

EL APACHE

EL APACHE

Thanx sticky! All your info has been so helpfull!!!!
So do u have any info for me about me wanting to use R/O water? My Rez gets full of crap that comes out of my tap water.

stickyicky

stickyicky

So do u have any info for me about me wanting to use R/O water? My Rez gets full of crap that comes out of my tap water.

I use R/O and I have 40ppm water with ph @ 8. after filter I'm starting at 0. and ph @6.4. If nothing else just to get rid of chlorine is enough reason to use a filter.

M

Mr.Newcastle

Putting your rez in a dark cool area (outside your tent), I have found to be great for the rez and the nutes inside of it. Also, 48plus hours of your tap water aerated prior to using the water for plants is a good thing. Peace.

stickyicky

stickyicky

I found using inoculants and microbials not only gives my roots steroids, it also keeps the rez super clean. I can go min. 2-wks. between rez. changes. Many other benefits from using bennies (haha). I use Earth Nectar/Earth Ambrosia
I use the ambrosia for foliar spray too.

Use R/O if any doubt!!

kushluvr

kushluvr

Dude forget the coco matts and just stack your cubes on top of one another. Matts are not a clean set up, imo,
hiboy

I agree.......... dont use the mats!!!..................get another cube instead! I'd do it like this though, put the cubes in hydroton!!!!!!!! and put enough hydroton in the baskets that the bottom 25% of the cube gets wet, thats it, no more of the cube need to be wet once there roots coming out the bottom, then cover the cube with more hydroton!

Here is a good example!........

kushluvr

kushluvr

Yes it okay..........see!..........only put the pots 25% sunkin in the hydroton! I started flowering these girls last friday!

IMG 1580
IMG 1579
EL APACHE

EL APACHE

I found using inoculants and microbials not only gives my roots steroids, it also keeps the rez super clean. I can go min. 2-wks. between rez. changes. Many other benefits from using bennies (haha). I use Earth Nectar/Earth Ambrosia
I use the ambrosia for foliar spray too.

Use R/O if any doubt!!

Thanx sticky! I have started with the RO water and I haven't had crap all over my Rez.
So this past Sunday was my 2 week of veg and I have seen only like 2-3 inches of growth. Am I on track? I did notice that some roots where coming out of my 6 inch cubes. So how long or big do I let my girls get before I can top them? I want to maximize my yeald for the small space I have. I only have 9 plants total in a 4x4 tent. And by the way this is my first grow ever so I'm totally lost here;). Any help will be apriciated.

kushluvr

kushluvr

Thanx sticky! I have started with the RO water and I haven't had crap all over my Rez.
So this past Sunday was my 2 week of veg and I have seen only like 2-3 inches of growth. Am I on track? I did notice that some roots where coming out of my 6 inch cubes. So how long or big do I let my girls get before I can top them? I want to maximize my yeald for the small space I have. I only have 9 plants total in a 4x4 tent. And by the way this is my first grow ever so I'm totally lost here;). Any help will be apriciated.

you need either another block or hydroton to lift the plants up a little. you only want the roots 25% up the cube to get wet now! by doing this the roots will now start to grow large because their growing downward looking for water/nutes!

Lets see some pics bro, thats the best way to help you!

Once there 6" tall I top them, just pinch of the very top flower going out and walllaa.......4-5 new tops!

KUSH

EL APACHE

EL APACHE

you need either another block or hydroton to lift the plants up a little. you only want the roots 25% up the cube to get wet now! by doing this the roots will now start to grow large because their growing downward looking for water/nutes!

Once there 6" tall I top them, just pinch of the very top flower going out and walllaa.......4-5 new tops!

KUSH

So here is my simple set up. I have 7 GDP and 3 OG Kush. the two in the back turned a little yellow cuz i had the lamp too close. after i backed it off they started to get the green color back. they are in 6 inch rockwool and i was planing on placing them over some hydroton, and also placing hydroton all around them.? what do you recomend i do with this set up i have? im also under a 600 hps.

Plants
EL APACHE

EL APACHE

KUSH

So here is my simple set up. I have 7 GDP and 3 OG Kush. the two in the back turned a little yellow cuz i had the lamp too close. after i backed it off they started to get the green color back. they are in 6 inch rockwool and i was planing on placing them over some hydroton, and also placing hydroton all around them.? what do you recomend i do with this set up i have? im also under a 600 hps.

so can i just peel half of the plastic from the bottom half of my rockwool and place some hydroton under the cube and then place hydroton all around the cube? or do i need to get some baskets and place the cube into it? im hoping i can get a good yeald so what ever i need to do i will.....

Top Bottom