Flipping the lights off right before harvest?

• Thread starter Blakeja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blakeja

Blakeja

Hi guys,

I have read a couple times about turning lights off for 24 dark or 48hrs maybe? right before harvest. I’m curious what the intention is here? More thricome production? Purple hues? Terps?
Any notable evidence ?
I’m also curious how you achieved the notable difference

Many thanks,
Blake

First run , Week 7 unknown clones
6A81F4F8 227A 49C3 BFE5 C7A90326BC72
57F41763 63D1 4134 8DE1 71282A7B416D

Madbud

Madbud

Hi guys,

I have read a couple times about turning lights off for 24 dark or 48hrs maybe? right before harvest. I’m curious what the intention is here? More thricome production? Purple hues? Terps?
Any notable evidence ?
I’m also curious how you achieved the notable difference

Many thanks,
Blake

First run , Week 7 unknown clones
View attachment 1042244View attachment 1042245
Its about having less chlorophyll, show me the science

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

I've heard it is about increased trichome production, but it is bro science, yet mine are in 24-48 hours of darkness right now.

I also have the thought that the metabolism of the plant is slower, it isn't pumping water or transpiring as much, so it gets a little rest before chop. This may or may not play a role in improving the cure.

Blakeja

Blakeja

I've heard it is about increased trichome production, but it is bro science, yet mine are in 24-48 hours of darkness right now.

I also have the thought that the metabolism of the plant is slower, it isn't pumping water or transpiring as much, so it gets a little rest before chop. This may or may not play a role in improving the cure.

thanks for sharing, would you mind sharing your results post darkness ? any notable changes under scope etc.

Thanks again everyone,
Blake

Blakeja

Blakeja

To really test the theory place a paper bag over a cola for two days before harvesting a plant.

I wonder if this would be a feasible option since the rest of the plant will be receiving light maybe the affects would not take place or if they do to a lesser degree?

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

thanks for sharing, would you mind sharing your results post darkness ? any notable changes under scope etc.

Thanks again everyone,
Blake
It's all psychological. There may be something to the way the cannabinoids react, but how much can really happen in an extra 12 hours of darkness? If it was such a game changer, why has no one documented the easily noticeable before and after? I question it, but yet, I still do it. Again, I think the rest helps.

Blakeja

Blakeja

It's all psychological. There may be something to the way the cannabinoids react, but how much can really happen in an extra 12 hours of darkness? If it was such a game changer, why has no one documented the easily noticeable before and after? I question it, but yet, I still do it. Again, I think the rest helps.

24 or 48?

Blakeja

Blakeja

I’ve experimented with this, I don’t see a noticeable difference even with 48 hours darkness. Best harvest tip I have is flushing with real cold water (around 10°C) I’ve seen noticeable improvement from this 🤟🏻

what sort of noticeable improvements? Would this not slow down growth during the later weeks?

HeavyLungs

HeavyLungs

what sort of noticeable improvements? Would this not slow down growth during the later weeks?
No it didn’t slow things down, it’s telling the plant that winter or cold weather is coming and to finish up.. she pushes out more trichs, buds hardened up slightly more and were much stickier. Also brings out the purple which adds to look 😝.. I usually do 3 good flushes in the last 10 days then harvest

HeavyLungs

HeavyLungs

No it didn’t slow things down, it’s telling the plant that winter or cold weather is coming and to finish up.. she pushes out more trichs, buds hardened up slightly more and were much stickier. Also brings out the purple which adds to look 😝.. I usually do 3 good flushes in the last 10 days then harvest
I should have mentioned that this is for the final flush only

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just my thoughts after a few discussions on this.

1. Light and heat degrade trichs etc. So a dark period allows for repair and highest content.

2. During the calvin cycle plants move excess starches/carbohydrates to the rootzone. Ever taste burning sugars or starches? This helps reduce excess starches and sugars and should help with the smoothness.

3. This is a new thought to me.

Extra sugars and starches MAY be beneficial to flavor and aroma after a proper dry and cure especially as they are also converted to terpenes etc during the cure. But this would be dependant ONLY on the fact a proper dry and especially CURE. Like I say this is a new thought and not one I have heard of before but just some late night random, can't sleep thinking.

Madbud

Madbud

This isn’t rocket science, all we need to do is cover a couple branches two days before chop then compare trichs. I got rain coming tomorrow but should be able to chop after that. Start the clock🧐

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This isn’t rocket science, all we need to do is cover a couple branches two days before chop then compare trichs. I got rain coming tomorrow but should be able to chop after that. Start the clock🧐View attachment 1042862View attachment 1042863
Kinda but not really because then half the plant is still photosynthesizing and processes between that and the calvin cycle differ. Not rocket science but not so simple either its not something thats easily quantifiable.

lilnew

lilnew

Kinda but not really because then half the plant is still photosynthesizing and processes between that and the calvin cycle differ. Not rocket science but not so simple either its not something thats easily quantifiable.
i remember someone posted a lab result showing 48 hrs of darkness before harvest increase the THC content

Top Bottom