Flushing is a bad practice based on flawed science.

• Thread starter YarraSparra
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gooey

Herb nailed it imo "forced senescence". I've had numerous plants that were fed all the way through flower turn all shades of purple, red, yellow, orange etc. They were ripe, most people don't run their plants until they are naturally ripe. I'm all for not over feeding and I think flushing is a misnomer as already mentioned. Good talk everyone, we're all in this together.

Milkman28

Milkman28

How poorly grown are your herbs if you can't tell the difference between flushed and unflushed flowers??? Gotta have the fade or its garbage IME.
Hi Walter, please explain the fade. I'm in 1'st flower, looking good, getting greedy. I want them to be the best they can be.

Milkman28

Milkman28

IMG 2758

indonesia

indonesia

I would like to question the practicality of flushing for the last week. Actually, I am openly challenging the entire notion of it (hehe, just for a bit of fun) but seriously now... it’s in dire need of revisiting.

I will list some points that not only challenge the absurd impracticality and illogicality of this myth, but point out how the pseudoscience behind it is fundamentally flawed (as is all pseudoscience) and can be countered by what is known about basic plant biology.

1. Robbing plants of essential nutrients at any stage of their life cycle is NOT beneficial for growth. I challenge anyone to provide a single peer reviewed paper from a reputable journal that provides evidence suggesting otherwise.

2. If this was practical, wouldn’t you expect all big agricultural hydroponic growers adopt the same practice?

3. Plants take minerals into their tissues, from their roots via the treachery elements; i.e. xylem. Once these minerals are in the plant, they are there to stay, the plant does not expel them, unless it’s through senescence-driven abscission of leaf petioles. From the treachery elements nutrients are translocated into the phloem - the plant’s ‘blood supply’ - after being integrated into various biomolecules, or are used for various metabolic functions. Where is the logic in thinking the plant ‘uses’ these up in that last week of flushing, in order to avoid smoking them? All the N P K Fe Mg Ca etc. is still there.

4. For arguments sake say we counter the last point by suggesting these minerals in their ‘raw form’ will taste ‘hasher’ or ‘nastier’ in the form of pyrolytic breakdown products (formed when weed is burned) than artifacts of larger biomolecules of which these minerals/macro nutrients are now a part of, for example phosphorylated PO43-. Even if this was the case it still doesn’t correlate with the myth, as the transports steam in the treachery elements is measured in minutes not a week. i.e. a PO43- molecule does not wait around in these vessels for a week before subsequent translocation and modification.

5. If there was any truth to this myth, then plants grown in soil would always taste worse than plants grown in hydro. Why? Because obviously soil is not an inert medium you can flush for a week. And a plant CANNOT distinguish between a PO43- molecule that comes from soil from that of a PO43- molecule that comes from hydro solution (which also debunks another myth, but we’ll leave that one).

6. Are there studies that have conducted double blind trials to investigate if flushed weed tastes any ‘sweeter’ than unflushed weed. Again, need peer reviewed papers. And doesn’t have to be weed, can be strawberries or any other type of fruit.

7. What is the proposed mechanism to support this myth, and how is it consistent with fundamental plant biology.

8. How does starving the plant of food in the last week increase thc production in the trichome? Papers?

9. Given, under certain conditions stressed plants upregulate certain defence compounds, but they will almost certainly produce less inflorescence weight per watt of light. Growth is always retarded under stress - not promoted. Nutrient starvation is a form of stress. Looking for peer reviewed papers that suggest otherwise.

Those of you set in your ways, each to their own and best of luck to you. Those who are willing to change their views in light of new evidence, or lack thereof, be ready for increased yields by feeding those hungry ladies right up until the second you chop.

YS
i feed little to nothing thru bloom. agreed about the flushing, its not natural. but if you dont feed you obviously dont need a flush. super soil recipes havent done me wrong yet. people try to say it varies strain to strain, but ive been all over the spectrum with this soil mix its awesome.

indonesia

indonesia

Man i can't wait, just don't know witch two weeks are the last two weeks?:)
depending on the strain. most indicas take 50-60 days. more sativa dominants are gonna be 9-10 weeks. i usually let everything go 65. theres a 6-10ish day window of peak harvest so 65 has always been safe for me. im more of a sativa guy personally, but i like to bang em out quick so hybrids/indicas are the for me. to each his own obviously

chuckchill

chuckchill

Ha,well i never thaught any1, would have the nuts to open this door:-)lol.I HEAR! ITS DUE TO THE PLANT USING THE NUTES THATS LEFT IN SOIL!. ,BUT? THE NECTAR OF THE GODS LINE! THEYHAVE A ,LIQUID BONE MEAL,OF 0,10.0! + THE GUY RECOMENDZ IT AS A ,FLUSH AGENT,HE SAYS ITS MAKING THE PLANT UPTAKE,ROCKS?.LOL.IDK. + LEAVES THEM DENCE! NOT SPONGY LIKE U SOMETIMES GET WEN WATER FLUSHING. BUT I.ALLWAYS FLUSH FOR 21,DAYS!. ,BUT I DONT KNOW HOW MANY PEEPS KNOW . THIS. ITS ,MT SECRET:-).I STOPPED FLUSHING WITH WATER + NOW USE ADVANCEDS B,52+ LIQUID CARBO LOAD. ITS A ,NATURALL BHUD HARDENER.100% ORGANIC.+ ILL GIVE ME GIRLS SENSIZYME FOR MY LAST 2! WATERINGS. FULL DOSE WITH RUN OF.30+ %. + ITS AMAZING. NO BAD TASTES. IF OWT IT ,TASTES BETTER!IDK HOW.MAYBEE THE YEAST ETC.WEN SUM 1,IN MY AREA SAMPLES MY BUDS.+ OIL FOR THAT MATTER. ,THEY ,ALLWAYS SAY:-) THIS IS UR SMOKE #(&? MAN AINT IT. ITS GOT ITS OWN TASTE.NOT ALL THE SAME BUT EVERYONE KNOWS ,WEN ITS MY SMOKE. .IM GLAD I FOUND THIS!.IM GONNA GO ON UR RECOMENDATION:-) WITH HALF MY GEAR + SEE UR POINT. COS U COULD BE ,CORRECT!.IDK.LOL. BUT U COULD BE MAKIN US MORE OZ,S PER PLANT?.ILL HAVE TO TEST IT.
PEACE.+ THANK U MAN. IM GONNA FINISH OF UR THREAD.
PEACE
C.C
I would like to question the practicality of flushing for the last week. Actually, I am openly challenging the entire notion of it (hehe, just for a bit of fun) but seriously now... it’s in dire need of revisiting.

I will list some points that not only challenge the absurd impracticality and illogicality of this myth, but point out how the pseudoscience behind it is fundamentally flawed (as is all pseudoscience) and can be countered by what is known about basic plant biology.

1. Robbing plants of essential nutrients at any stage of their life cycle is NOT beneficial for growth. I challenge anyone to provide a single peer reviewed paper from a reputable journal that provides evidence suggesting otherwise.

2. If this was practical, wouldn’t you expect all big agricultural hydroponic growers adopt the same practice?

3. Plants take minerals into their tissues, from their roots via the treachery elements; i.e. xylem. Once these minerals are in the plant, they are there to stay, the plant does not expel them, unless it’s through senescence-driven abscission of leaf petioles. From the treachery elements nutrients are translocated into the phloem - the plant’s ‘blood supply’ - after being integrated into various biomolecules, or are used for various metabolic functions. Where is the logic in thinking the plant ‘uses’ these up in that last week of flushing, in order to avoid smoking them? All the N P K Fe Mg Ca etc. is still there.

4. For arguments sake say we counter the last point by suggesting these minerals in their ‘raw form’ will taste ‘hasher’ or ‘nastier’ in the form of pyrolytic breakdown products (formed when weed is burned) than artifacts of larger biomolecules of which these minerals/macro nutrients are now a part of, for example phosphorylated PO43-. Even if this was the case it still doesn’t correlate with the myth, as the transports steam in the treachery elements is measured in minutes not a week. i.e. a PO43- molecule does not wait around in these vessels for a week before subsequent translocation and modification.

5. If there was any truth to this myth, then plants grown in soil would always taste worse than plants grown in hydro. Why? Because obviously soil is not an inert medium you can flush for a week. And a plant CANNOT distinguish between a PO43- molecule that comes from soil from that of a PO43- molecule that comes from hydro solution (which also debunks another myth, but we’ll leave that one).

6. Are there studies that have conducted double blind trials to investigate if flushed weed tastes any ‘sweeter’ than unflushed weed. Again, need peer reviewed papers. And doesn’t have to be weed, can be strawberries or any other type of fruit.

7. What is the proposed mechanism to support this myth, and how is it consistent with fundamental plant biology.

8. How does starving the plant of food in the last week increase thc production in the trichome? Papers?

9. Given, under certain conditions stressed plants upregulate certain defence compounds, but they will almost certainly produce less inflorescence weight per watt of light. Growth is always retarded under stress - not promoted. Nutrient starvation is a form of stress. Looking for peer reviewed papers that suggest otherwise.

Those of you set in your ways, each to their own and best of luck to you. Those who are willing to change their views in light of new evidence, or lack thereof, be ready for increased yields by feeding those hungry ladies right up until the second you chop.

YS

chuckchill

chuckchill

Cover crops? lol.sorry can u clue me in pls?.
c.c
I guess a lot of overfeeding can go on and probably does with a lot of cannabis growers, but outdoors if overfeeding it is, like you said, salts going into groundwater which is horrible. It can take a long time to figure out that fine line of how much water and how much food.

I do know growers still though, that are using as much as 50 gallons h2o per day per plant, they get huge production but I can get the same production with just 10.

My next move...Cover crops for the win!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Ha,well i never thaught any1, would have the nuts to open this door:)lol.I HEAR! ITS DUE TO THE PLANT USING THE NUTES THATS LEFT IN SOIL!. ,BUT? THE NECTAR OF THE GODS LINE! THEYHAVE A ,LIQUID BONE MEAL,OF 0,10.0! + THE GUY RECOMENDZ IT AS A ,FLUSH AGENT,HE SAYS ITS MAKING THE PLANT UPTAKE,ROCKS?.LOL.IDK. + LEAVES THEM DENCE! NOT SPONGY LIKE U SOMETIMES GET WEN WATER FLUSHING. BUT I.ALLWAYS FLUSH FOR 21,DAYS!. ,BUT I DONT KNOW HOW MANY PEEPS KNOW . THIS. ITS ,MT SECRET:).I STOPPED FLUSHING WITH WATER + NOW USE ADVANCEDS B,52+ LIQUID CARBO LOAD. ITS A ,NATURALL BHUD HARDENER.100% ORGANIC.+ ILL GIVE ME GIRLS SENSIZYME FOR MY LAST 2! WATERINGS. FULL DOSE WITH RUN OF.30+ %. + ITS AMAZING. NO BAD TASTES. IF OWT IT ,TASTES BETTER!IDK HOW.MAYBEE THE YEAST ETC.WEN SUM 1,IN MY AREA SAMPLES MY BUDS.+ OIL FOR THAT MATTER. ,THEY ,ALLWAYS SAY:) THIS IS UR SMOKE #(&? MAN AINT IT. ITS GOT ITS OWN TASTE.NOT ALL THE SAME BUT EVERYONE KNOWS ,WEN ITS MY SMOKE. .IM GLAD I FOUND THIS!.IM GONNA GO ON UR RECOMENDATION:) WITH HALF MY GEAR + SEE UR POINT. COS U COULD BE ,CORRECT!.IDK.LOL. BUT U COULD BE MAKIN US MORE OZ,S PER PLANT?.ILL HAVE TO TEST IT.
PEACE
C.C
b-52 is synthetic ass it gets and the point of flushing is fornplant to transport stored food instead or from roots

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Cover crops? lol.sorry can u clue me in pls?.
c.c
Cover crops, crops used to cover the ground. It's also related to green manuring, where you grow those crops, then at a particular point in growth you chop them down and leave the residue to decompose, thus adding more organic matter to the soil profile. There's a lot that can be done, and to be considered, within the realm of cover crops. EG, trap crops, which are plants that are used to trap pests as part of a good IPM regimen (IPM=integrated pest management).

william76

william76

Ha,well i never thaught any1, would have the nuts to open this door:)lol.I HEAR! ITS DUE TO THE PLANT USING THE NUTES THATS LEFT IN SOIL!. ,BUT? THE NECTAR OF THE GODS LINE! THEYHAVE A ,LIQUID BONE MEAL,OF 0,10.0! + THE GUY RECOMENDZ IT AS A ,FLUSH AGENT,HE SAYS ITS MAKING THE PLANT UPTAKE,ROCKS?.LOL.IDK. + LEAVES THEM DENCE! NOT SPONGY LIKE U SOMETIMES GET WEN WATER FLUSHING. BUT I.ALLWAYS FLUSH FOR 21,DAYS!. ,BUT I DONT KNOW HOW MANY PEEPS KNOW . THIS. ITS ,MT SECRET:).I STOPPED FLUSHING WITH WATER + NOW USE ADVANCEDS B,52+ LIQUID CARBO LOAD. ITS A ,NATURALL BHUD HARDENER.100% ORGANIC.+ ILL GIVE ME GIRLS SENSIZYME FOR MY LAST 2! WATERINGS. FULL DOSE WITH RUN OF.30+ %. + ITS AMAZING. NO BAD TASTES. IF OWT IT ,TASTES BETTER!IDK HOW.MAYBEE THE YEAST ETC.WEN SUM 1,IN MY AREA SAMPLES MY BUDS.+ OIL FOR THAT MATTER. ,THEY ,ALLWAYS SAY:) THIS IS UR SMOKE #(&? MAN AINT IT. ITS GOT ITS OWN TASTE.NOT ALL THE SAME BUT EVERYONE KNOWS ,WEN ITS MY SMOKE. .IM GLAD I FOUND THIS!.IM GONNA GO ON UR RECOMENDATION:) WITH HALF MY GEAR + SEE UR POINT. COS U COULD BE ,CORRECT!.IDK.LOL. BUT U COULD BE MAKIN US MORE OZ,S PER PLANT?.ILL HAVE TO TEST IT.
PEACE
C.C
Your better flushing man,some of these chemicals have flavourings,so buds can taste good but still be full of chemicals,I think. What a lot of people dont realize,whenyou flush your also preparing the plant to die which is natural(senescence) if that's the right word,if you keep feeding the plant will keep going,the fade and pistils going brown,this is also signs of. It too,flushing also kickstarts this process so flushing actually does. 2 things uses up any nutes and helps towards the natural dieing proscess,so I'd flush,but each to his own,76

william76

william76

I've been introducing aphids and spidermite colonies in the advent of them coming I've seen great success in the colonization of predatory bugs in my plants. Why anyone would want to kill these fine creatures is besides me. This thread needs deleted along with several others
Yea,well I've tried,im sick of it too if peeps want to smoke chemicals then that's up to them,76

S

SinisterOG

Feed water at least the last 14 days. Don't feed too much or too often. Keep the ph above 6 in most soilless medias. Why do people have to make it so hard? Container size and a plants vigor among other things also influence the amount of time they want plain water. All you newbs on here need to realize there's more than one way to achieve a high quality end product but pushing nutes is not one of them.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

I've been introducing aphids and spidermite colonies in the advent of them coming I've seen great success in the colonization of predatory bugs in my plants. Why anyone would want to kill these fine creatures is besides me. This thread needs deleted along with several others
Aphids? hgmmm. i like some nematodes

chuckchill

chuckchill

i cant be puffin on scetchy chems when im organic can i?. i dont dump + pump owt on my shit. guess ill keep flushing cos its correct about not feeding them at the last 2,weeks. they feed themselves.

chuckchill

chuckchill

+
This fucking thread! Still no proof jsut hearsay. Long live the newbs and wanna be scientists not willing to back up any claims!!
?EVENIF! I WAS A ,NEWB! ID STILL HAVE TO LEARN . HOW WOULD I DO THAT * GET 100% ACURATE INFO! OOHH RIGHT .COME O U! UR JUST CAUSING PEOPLE TO WANT TO LEAVE SIR!MADAMN ,WTF EVER.
PEACE OUT.
CHUCK FUKIN CHILL.

Top Bottom