Flushing plants has no value?

• Thread starter Oldschool61
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

They starve wine grapes in spain so the plant increases its flavour and scent just before death, im of the school of thought where if you give it a slow death in the last few days the plant will respond by increasing terps so animals and pollinators will find it
Good point. Another thing to think about: does different soil and nutes affect the taste? I think the answer is intuitively obvious; of course it does. Therefor, why wouldn't flushing/starving have at least some difference?

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

My issue with the test results from flush/not flush, is that the companies doing the testing are either fertilizer companies, or a lab connected to them. And those companies don't make money by telling you not to use products. I think the testing needs to be blind, and done independently by a quality lab, and their methods need to be mentioned.

E

elusiveshame

I've heard that with peanut butter and a banana tea you can get them tasting like a peanut butter and banana sandwich but I'm old I've heard lots of stupid things........sorry I can't help myself.....lol🤣
Someone here claims they put cereal in their soil and their plant absorbs the flavor. I really don't buy it myself, nor can I imagine 1.) wasting cereal, and 2.) smoking cereal, but hey, whatever works for some folks.

simonkay

simonkay

Good point. Another thing to think about: does different soil and nutes affect the taste? I think the answer is intuitively obvious; of course it does. Therefor, why wouldn't flushing/starving have at least some difference?
Check out dr bruce bugbee on YouTube he explains flushing is for ppl who overdosed their plants, a normal feed schedule should already taper off in the final weeks leaving little in the soil. He goes onto explain the longer its in water the quicker the plant dies (using food from leaves quicker) thus loosing a bit of strength if in water too long. But i personally find snapping the main branch and leaving in water or v.weak solution helps pump up the smell (poss increas terps production before plant death)

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Back in the day stealth growing with miracle grow I flushed a lot. It's been decades but I remember putting the pots on the tub and running water with the shower head until it came out clear. If I didn't they would not look good leafs droopy and not over watered. It was just a build up.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

I really don't think applying flavors to the dirt will do anything, think about it, that food would have to be broken down by bacteria, fungus, the whole lot. And that is done slowly, the plants roots don't have teeth to chew up fruity pebbles or heaven forbid the hard ass, sharp ass captain crunch.

So 5 or 6 weeks Into it, it might be broken down, and the plants feeding off of it in raw nutritional form, which is npk.

If plants absorbed flavor, why doesn't weed taste like molasses? Thousands and thousands of pounds a year are grown using molasses

E

elusiveshame

I really don't think applying flavors to the dirt will do anything, think about it, that food would have to be broken down by bacteria, fungus, the whole lot. And that is done slowly, the plants roots don't have teeth to chew up fruity pebbles or heaven forbid the hard ass, sharp ass captain crunch.

So 5 or 6 weeks Into it, it might be broken down, and the plants feeding off of it in raw nutritional form, which is npk.

If plants absorbed flavor, why doesn't weed taste like molasses? Thousands and thousands of pounds a year are grown using molasses

Oh I 100% agree with you. It sounds like bro science to me. Plus, why wouldn’t there be actual kiwis that tasted like strawberries? Big Fruit keeping them delicious combos a secret?

simonkay

simonkay

I did read somewhere online that fermented fruit juice helped i did wonder if that's what they mean and if it actually works. Might try on one plant one day

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

@simonkay I'd be leary of using fermented juice, the byproduct is alcohol, and that could create all kinds of issues if it didn't kill the plant outright. If it was just the fermented mash, I could see that being beneficial, but fermented juice itself is wine

simonkay

simonkay

Screenshot 2023 02 16 14 12 19 571 comandroidchrome

Found this might start looking into closer to harvest

simonkay

simonkay

@simonkay I'd be leary of using fermented juice, the byproduct is alcohol, and that could create all kinds of issues if it didn't kill the plant outright. If it was just the fermented mash, I could see that being beneficial, but fermented juice itself is wine
For sure thats why ill only maybe sacrifice one plant when i got enough going.
The recipe says to ferment for just over 2 weeks with molasses. I wonder how much alcohol is produced in that time? Again something I'll look more into and post if i find anything solid

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I’m doing this for my family so I can experiment a bit. I haven’t flushed yet before harvest. I also leave some tight sugar leaves on my buds when trimming.

Compared to dispensary or other sources the taste doesn’t seem bad but mine looks like home grown rather than store bought.

What I am considering is flushing it before harvest so when I go to reuse the soil it’s already had a flushing prior to my reconditioning it. Easier if it’s still in the pot with the plant soaking up whatever’s leftover. Maybe.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

For sure thats why ill only maybe sacrifice one plant when i got enough going.

The recipe says to ferment for just over 2 weeks with molasses. I wonder how much alcohol is produced in that time? Again something I'll look more into and post if i find anything solid

I've never used any mash (fruit/corn/rye,) or anything that produces alcohol, I usually cooked it after fermentation 😆 🤣 😂 but the mash we would just dump out in a field for the cows to eat, but the grass literally grew greener and the weeds grew tall where we would dump it. So I would definitely be interested to read up on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom