Fogponics. As good or better than Hydro?

• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Are you extracting CBN or partaking high CBN buds?
CBN is degraded THC, so it's rather we wanna aim for maxing THC and preventing the CBN buildup (it mostly starts building up towards the end of flower, with amber trichomes indicating the start of ths).
The CBN will have an effect more resembling CBD, not THC, so with high-THC strains some folks enjoy to let it ripen to add some CBN and reduce THC a little, to have less a headrace high...

@Moe.Red
looking good everything so far, excited to see how it'll develop further

Moshmen

Moshmen

Let's talk nutes.

So it seems clear that 200PPM is too low. I honestly was not expecting that. But that's why we experiment.

Right now, the fog is sweating the roots then dripping off and collecting in the tote. So it is fogponics up top and DWC in the bottom 3 inches by the end of the week as the root tips slowly become submerged. The water in the totes they are in is highly oxygenated. I have 3 options available:

Add a drain to the totes and just kiss the nute runoff goodbye $$$
Remove the inner glass fish tank res and just embrace the fact that the bottom 3 inches will be DWC
Continue what I am doing periodically removing collected tote water.

From a vitality standpoint, #1 seens the best but the most costly. #2 seems the logical choice. Thoughts?

I have not used any silica products so far.
I'm about to run out of this GH 3 part, and I want to switch up to gain more control.
I have only dosed benies when they were seedlings.

What would you do if you were me? We have 4 separate nute delivery systems and all other grow parameters are the same, using clones, we could maybe learn some stuff in a side by side?

@Aqua Man @Anthem @Dr.Green55 @who is a nute expert?
Well def not me - but what about draining the runoff back to the rez , running it under UV at a point to kill anything unwanted ? Or would that add to much expense? Couple valves , timers a small container to collect in and run the UV , then after timed UV session back to the rez waste nothing ?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Ok, I just had to research what cbn is. So I see strains that list their average THC and CBD content, what is the range of CBN across some common cultivars?
Cbn is interesting for sure
The plant does not produce CBN it is a compound that results from the degradation of THCa. This happens naturally over time so bud cured for 6 months will have it.

It is depressive on the nervous system so it helps sleep and anxiety.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Well def not me - but what about draining the runoff back to the rez , running it under UV at a point to kill anything unwanted ? Or would that add to much expense? Couple valves , timers a small container to collect in and run the UV , then after timed UV session back to the rez waste nothing ?
Yes that could work.

I’m thinking I might put in a false bottom on one tote to try it. I’ll give it a try and post it up.

Anthem

Anthem

Let's talk nutes.

So it seems clear that 200PPM is too low. I honestly was not expecting that. But that's why we experiment.

Right now, the fog is sweating the roots then dripping off and collecting in the tote. So it is fogponics up top and DWC in the bottom 3 inches by the end of the week as the root tips slowly become submerged. The water in the totes they are in is highly oxygenated. I have 3 options available:

Add a drain to the totes and just kiss the nute runoff goodbye $$$
Remove the inner glass fish tank res and just embrace the fact that the bottom 3 inches will be DWC
Continue what I am doing periodically removing collected tote water.

From a vitality standpoint, #1 seens the best but the most costly. #2 seems the logical choice. Thoughts?

I have not used any silica products so far.
I'm about to run out of this GH 3 part, and I want to switch up to gain more control.
I have only dosed benies when they were seedlings.

What would you do if you were me? We have 4 separate nute delivery systems and all other grow parameters are the same, using clones, we could maybe learn some stuff in a side by side?

@Aqua Man @Anthem @Dr.Green55 @who is a nute expert?
Moe,
If you want more control over the NPK and such values I would got with a three part. This separates out the calcium and magnesium as well as sulfur. For me that means Jacks for Ro. I switched to it from a 2 part about 10 months ago and I am happy. The GH 3 part liquid has nothing wrong with to. Good product just more money. I use it for moms because I am lazy.
Consider looking at @billfarthin's ballin on a budget. I am now basically following that formula. With your set up I would imagine you will has some calcium def. around day 10 of flower if you follow the jacks recipe. This can be avoided by using Pure Cal thru week 2 of flower, than switch back to Calcium nitrate. Apart from that you can use a little bit more PK in week 4-6.
@Aquaman is telling you the truth about Fulvic and Monosilic. Fulvic you can get from the guy over in Joplin or Mr Fulvic. Mr Fulvic is more expensive but retains the amino acids from the manufacturing process. Also Mr Fulvic ships for free. The dry stuff is way cheaper but does not have all of the advantages of Mr Fulvic. Monosilic is pretty much a must to save time, the stems are much stronger with it. I would use Silicium if I could get it for a reasonable price. I believe it has some additional PGRs in it as well because it out preforms Power SI or Front Row Ag. I have not had the front row ag or Power SI tested but I believe they are derived in the same manner. Run silica thru week 3 and you should have some nice finished product.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So here is what I have come up with for a desired state:

Screen Shot 2022 10 15 at 95122 AM

The outer box with the 2 holes in the side represents the tote.

The perforated table is the solution, I think. The round puck in the bottom is the fogger. Thats the larger rectangular cutout. The smaller cutout and the matching hole in the tote are for the float valve to gravity feed from the nute res. The other hole in the left end is for a drain with a valve. With that valve I could adjust the drain to waste to be whatever value I want, or open it up to empty the tote.

I don't think a piece of plexiglass that size will fit in my laser cutter to make those holes, so I gotta refine this before I make myself crazy building it. Do I need drain holes?

My thought on all this is I can precisely control the nute mixture while also holding O2, and keeping the roots out of the standing water to prevent the DWC type roots and force the fine hairs?

EDIT here is a better image of just the table sitting on the bottom of the tote

Screen Shot 2022 10 15 at 103202 AM

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

Moe,
If you want more control over the NPK and such values I would got with a three part. This separates out the calcium and magnesium as well as sulfur. For me that means Jacks for Ro. I switched to it from a 2 part about 10 months ago and I am happy. The GH 3 part liquid has nothing wrong with to. Good product just more money. I use it for moms because I am lazy.
Consider looking at @billfarthin's ballin on a budget. I am now basically following that formula. With your set up I would imagine you will has some calcium def. around day 10 of flower if you follow the jacks recipe. This can be avoided by using Pure Cal thru week 2 of flower, than switch back to Calcium nitrate. Apart from that you can use a little bit more PK in week 4-6.
@Aquaman is telling you the truth about Fulvic and Monosilic. Fulvic you can get from the guy over in Joplin or Mr Fulvic. Mr Fulvic is more expensive but retains the amino acids from the manufacturing process. Also Mr Fulvic ships for free. The dry stuff is way cheaper but does not have all of the advantages of Mr Fulvic. Monosilic is pretty much a must to save time, the stems are much stronger with it. I would use Silicium if I could get it for a reasonable price. I believe it has some additional PGRs in it as well because it out preforms Power SI or Front Row Ag. I have not had the front row ag or Power SI tested but I believe they are derived in the same manner. Run silica thru week 3 and you should have some nice finished product.
And if you run the pure cal run it at 2.85 grams per gallon and bump up the epsom salt by about 10 percent. you need to keep that ratio uncheck to prevent nutrient issues.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Moe,
Perfect. Thanks for that. I'll start digging and ordering.

I'll have a chance to start over with clones soon, that is when I will be adopting this method for the whole grow. Since there will be ability to do side by sides with cannabinoid testing at the end, anything you think worth experimenting with? N levels come to mind.

Anthem

Anthem

Perfect. Thanks for that. I'll start digging and ordering.

I'll have a chance to start over with clones soon, that is when I will be adopting this method for the whole grow. Since there will be ability to do side by sides with cannabinoid testing at the end, anything you think worth experimenting with? N levels come to mind.
Jacks has a couple products I like. They have a Clone seedling formula I really like. They also have a week 1 of flower product that speeds up bud set by about 2 to 3 days. When I have used this product I also use Grow More no N cal mag as the jacks does not contain Calcium.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Killin the design over there !
If I made you one of these could you see using it? A single system is 2x4

You and @growsince79 are getting clones from this run too. I’m taking multiple clones from each plant tomorrow morning then flipping to flower to weed out the dudes. I want 8 females to put back in this system and you guys can have the rest. The phenos on these plants are all the same. Pretty cool running IBLs

Do you want males?

Moshmen

Moshmen

If I made you one of these could you see using it? A single system is 2x4

You and @growsince79 are getting clones from this run too. I’m taking multiple clones from each plant tomorrow morning then flipping to flower to weed out the dudes. I want 8 females to put back in this system and you guys can have the rest. The phenos on these plants are all the same. Pretty cool running IBLs

Do you want males?
Yes I would be interested in a male as well fem first though 🙏.

I’ve been thinking about moving to rockwool and going automated - bought wool and everything then put it on hold want to see how this is going to work? Very impressive so far ! Anc ur just getting started - after a few runs in that system it will set it and try and keep your hands off it ! Lol

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yes I would be interested in a male as well fem first though 🙏.

I’ve been thinking about moving to rockwool and going automated - bought wool and everything then put it on hold want to see how this is going to work? Very impressive so far ! Anc ur just getting started - after a few runs in that system it will set it and try and keep your hands off it ! Lol
Don't wait for me brother. I have not made it thru a whole grow without making changes. I need to settle on a complete solution which will take experimentation for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom