Fogponics. As good or better than Hydro?

• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Everybody is very happy.

View attachment 1283828
View attachment 1283829View attachment 1283829

I'm leaning these heavily blue. This is a very tall plant in nature. Outdoors, 15 feet is no problem. I am trying to train them to stay short with a heavy dose of blue spectrum. These lights are the ones I use for microgreens. Did a bunch of testing on lighting meant specifically for seedlings - which is what microgreens are - this was the best light. It is currently at 50% on 24H.
A really good example of what i say in my watering thread… tap root will grow straight down before spreading out.

Something ppl dont often realize is that roots from clones are much different than they are from seed… the dont have a traditional tap root like seeds.

sorry off topic but figured it was a good opportunity to point out the difference because they meed slightly different considerations when starting out

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

A really good example of what i say in my watering thread… tap root will grow straight down before spreading out.

Something ppl dont often realize is that roots from clones are much different than they are from seed… the dont have a traditional tap root like seeds.

sorry off topic but figured it was a good opportunity to point out the difference because they meed slightly different considerations when starting out
Man, I was gonna call you on this tonight! Do I need to give it some resistance? Simulate hitting the bottom of the solo cup?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Could put a 1/4 barb on both sides of that collar and just use a cap with a barb and dial the flow rate down to a trickle… i cant say for sure but i feel like a const trickle would be absolutely fine. Like a mini recirculation system. Or you could incorporate a cheap 1/4 solenoid to top water at whatever frequency you like until the roots are ready
I should have replied to this post on the design thing. I don't think I need anything looking at this picture.

Sorry, I'm getting caught up from being logged off a while and answering things out of order.

380008DD 9A3E 400C 948C AFDA7B715BAA

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Man, I was gonna call you on this tonight! Do I need to give it some resistance? Simulate hitting the bottom of the solo cup?
Nope faster its in the fog the better… Seeds have an advantage here… and clones benefit imo for hydro, fog and aero from a smaller starting container.

If you remember out discussion back when on i wanted to go with the smallest possible amount of media… i still think given my observations even smaller than 3.5” would be beneficial for clones while seeds it makes less impact

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Nope faster its in the fog the better… Seeds have an advantage here… and clones benefit imo for hydro, fog and aero from a smaller starting container.

If you remember out discussion back when on i wanted to go with the smallest possible amount of media… i still think given my observations even smaller than 3.5” would be beneficial for clones while seeds it makes less impact
I'll print you some rings to adapt your system to smaller pots next run.

My next thing will be cloning the best of these seedlings after I sex them, so I probably need to downsize too. You gonna add perlite next go too?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'll print you some rings to adapt your system to smaller pots next run.

My next thing will be cloning the best of these seedlings after I sex them, so I probably need to downsize too. You gonna add perlite next go too?
Yeah large chunky and prob 50/50

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Isn't that tap root gonna keep going until it hits the bottom? Like 15 inches?

I wonder how what happens below like that impacts the height of the plant?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Isn't that tap root gonna keep going until it hits the bottom? Like 15 inches?

I wonder how what happens below like that impacts the height of the plant?
Yeah but the buried part will also throw out more roots in time much like a clone… its no issue if it site in the bottom and it will happe to both clone and seedling

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Although id be curious to see the impact of a root prune in the tap root. I haven’t studied this enough to have an educated opinion bit it is possible and id say likely it could have the same effect as topping???

🤔🤔🤔
That's what I was thinking based on nothing lol. Once I got my clones I need, we can experiment on these.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I think we may be onto something that may be advantageous…. but then again maybe not. Well so much for sleeping tonight lol
I love it when your brain lites up off something stupid I say and you come back 6 hours later with a breakthru.

It would be interesting if I could turn this Durban Poison into a kush shaped form. Shit like this could possibly help. I've got 8' ceilings in my tents, most people don't have that kind of room.

beluga

beluga

Can you take a page from bonsai with the root pruning?

I've never kept bonsai well enough to see the anecdotal effects root pruning has on it, but I'd have to assume some Japanese botanists probably have that and some. I wonder if there's something you could apply here.

This is another area I've been keeping tabs on for my dream garden. Glad to have you guys on it.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Can you take a page from bonsai with the root pruning?

I've never kept bonsai well enough to see the anecdotal effects root pruning has on it, but I'd have to assume some Japanese botanists probably have that and some. I wonder if there's something you could apply here.

This is another area I've been keeping tabs on for my dream garden. Glad to have you guys on it.
Very nice man. Didn’t even think of that

O

OntarioGoldenHash

Are you using food safe grade filaments in your 3d prints? Thanks.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

A few updates today.

This is another plant that is showing very different root structure.

B8154FD2 9A3F 4435 8BE4 3DB33F8D00F8

The roots are great, but the cotyletons are starting to curl, meaning time to add nutes. So tonight they get a res change, a feeding, and a nice dose of beneficials all around. I'd like to see a nice colony of fungi on that root system.

So far I see no time benefit to this method over standard clone techniques like aeroponics. Over growing in rock wool in a dome, it's easily 2X faster to get to this stage.

Here is the last of the fan mounts being printed out. Then it's time to wire these 4 fogponics tubs up.

331AA5BD 7549 42F8 B193 E04DC5AD986D

One hour 1 minute remaining. For those of you in Oz like MadMax, that is 1 hour and 1 minute. Celsius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom