For Those Of You Using Led, Here Ya Go.

• Thread starter Foxlink
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Foxlink

Foxlink

There are setups all over the place now, and I know of just one; https://kindledgrowlights.com (I'm sure there are others, but this is the only one I have physically seen.) They are in several sizes, but below:playful:, is the science involved with the UV lighting.

Info from:
Much research has been done on the effects of various light wavelengths on plant growth. We know that different photosynthetic pigments within plants utilize different wavelengths and we know that plants use those various wavelengths to accomplish different growth and development processes.

Advancements in LED technology have made it possible to build LEDs that emit light in very specific spectra to achieve very specific outcomes in plant growth. We can design different lighting spectra that enable the regulation of flowering time and the regulation of biomass accumulation and stem elongation. We can also effect plants’ primary and secondary metabolism, which are directly associated with the food quality of vegetables. And we can affect other plant growth functions, as well.

Let’s learn more about the benefits of different spectra.

Ultraviolet light (10nm-400nm)
Though overexposure to UV light is dangerous for the flora, small amounts of near-UV light can have beneficial effects. In many cases, UV light is a very important contributor for plant colors, tastes and aromas. This is an indication of near-UV light effect on metabolic processes. Studies show that 385 nm UV light promotes the accumulation of phenolic compounds, enhances antioxidant activity of plant extracts, but does not have any significant effect on growth processes.

Blue light (430nm-450nm)
The 450nm spectrum enables cryptochromes and phototropins to mediate plant responses such as phototropic curvature, inhibition of elongation growth, chloroplast movement, stomatal opening and seedling growth regulation. It affects chlorophyll formation, photosynthesis processes, and through the cryptochrome and phytochrome system, raises the photomorphogenetic response.

These wavelengths encourage vegetative growth through strong root growth and intense photosynthesis and are often used as supplemental light for seedlings and young plants during the vegetative stage of their growth cycle, especially when “stretching” must be reduced or eliminated.

Green light (500nm-550nm)
Green light is sometimes used as a tool for eliciting specific plant responses such as stomatal control, phototropism, photomorphogenic growth and environmental signaling. When combined with blue, red and far-red wavelengths, green light completes a comprehensive spectral treatment for understanding plant physiological activity.

Red light (640nm-680nm)
Red light affects phytochrome reversibility and is the most important for photosynthesis, flowering and fruiting regulation. These wavelengths encourage stem growth, flowering and fruit production, and chlorophyll production. A study titled “Influence of Light Wavelengths on Growth of Tomato” by Hery Suyanto et.al., for example, demonstrated that tomato plants showed the most growth in the vegetative phase under 650nm light. In the germination phase, irradiation of 680nm spurred the greatest growth rate.

The 624nm region has the highest photosynthetic relative quantum yield for a range of plants. At the same time, its action on red-absorbing phytochrome is considerably weaker compared to that of 660 nm red light and can be used to balance the phytochrome equilibrium towards lower values (closer to those of daylight) than those achievable with 660 nm red light, especially when used together with 730 nm red light.

The 660nm wavelength has a very strong photosynthetic action and also exhibits the highest action on red-absorbing phytochrome regulated germination, flowering and other processes. Most effective for light cycle extension or night interruption to induce flowering of long-day plants or to prevent flowering of short-day plants. Most energy-efficient source for photosynthesis among all available supplemental LEDs.

Far red (730nm)
Although the 730nm wavelength is outside the photosynthetically active range, it has the strongest action on the far-red absorbing form of phytochrome, converting it back to the red-absorbing form. It becomes necessary for plants requiring relatively low values of the phytochrome photoequilibrium to flower. Can be used at the end of each light cycle to promote flowering in short-day plants.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Pure marketing BS, ie Pseudo-Science. As Ken Dog said white light does all that, and more

Foxlink

Foxlink

White light contains all of those spectrums... And more.

Pure marketing BS, ie Pseudo-Science. As Ken Dog said white light does all that, and more

Ken, 'white' light is what our human eyes can see.
PhatNuggz, I don't OWN a KindLed, nor do I have the money to get one. I was just trying to show options vs only one. I have the T5 setup, but I know about (and would like to have the money to have one) a LED setup.

ken dog

ken dog

There's no doubt that Kind LEDs are great lights... The price however, is prohibitive.

In my opinion, LED lights are throwaways... And spending more than $300 on any one unit seems a little extravagant.

And quite honestly, what bothered me about the OP was the mention of green light being an important part of the spectrum with regards to growing cannabis... I am not convinced of that.

All that said, I believe Kind to be the best LED out there with regards to small and versatile units, longevity, and 3 yr. guarantee.

Foxlink

Foxlink

There's no doubt that Kind LEDs are great lights... The price however, is prohibitive.

In my opinion, LED lights are throwaways... And spending more than $300 on any one unit seems a little extravagant.

That I can completely agree with (as far as throw aways, I'm not sure, but time will tell.) that Kind LED lights are extremely expensive. When they K3 ones first came out, they were over $1K, now they are 'old news' and still expensive but not as effective or as efficient the K5 ones-now those are almost $2K (the biggest one they have only has a 5' X 5' footprint). The newest ones are better, but next year or next, they may be as you said- throwaways. I was just trying to show other options instead of just one (the T5 set up I have from Hortilux).

keiksweat

keiksweat

Kind led are shite for the money.there using Chinese chips like mars,but charging Cree money like apache..kendog,I agree with the throw away bit.i use 2 cheapo mars reflector series.and ill run them into the ground,then re load.I can grow some quality buds with these shit panels,so is it worth taking out a mortgage for two apaches',or something similar..

ken dog

ken dog

Nope... Not worth it.

Just make sure you get the proper wavelength for what you want.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz, I don't OWN a KindLed, nor do I have the money to get one. I was just trying to show options vs only one. I have the T5 setup, but I know about (and would like to have the money to have one) a LED setup.

Have you visited my Transcend Lighting thread? 8 @ 30w LED hot5

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

even when they're BAD options?

ken dog

ken dog

There is really no bad option when it comes to LEDs... They all use the same bulbs.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

KD don't now where you got your led education from, but I hope no one pays attention to it

Warmhands

Warmhands

Hey everyone try googling for commercial led lights. I found a Cree cxb led light made in the U.S with a ten year warranty :opps:
It's $370

Please tell me what you think. Do you think it would work for flowering? Thank you.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Kind uses 5watt led chips which are less efficient, run hotter and burn out sooner than 3 watt chips because of the heat.
I would go for a COB before I got a chip light, COB has the best light distribution, runs the coolest and lasts the longest. It also costs the most...
http://www.ledlightplant.com/cob-64pcs3w-series-c-7_10/

Top Bottom