For you Geneticists

• Thread starter Sunbiz1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Come on. OG standing for Organic Grown has to be a joke.

All these strains you see today came from a handful of strains. They are Hybrids that give you a little hint of what the amazing weed it was created from was like. I don't know if anyone likes that dude called the nose but one thing he has correct is most of the stuff that goes around is just a lame cross of a cross. Even cup entries are a bunch of similar crosses that fail to bring something special or different to the table. It's sad but true. A lot more to the story tho.....Progress has been made and and it's not all bad.

fred

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I know Im such a smartass you cant always tell if Im bullshitting or shitting the bed

but yes thats what it stands for

Blaze

Blaze

The name game can be really annoying for sure, especially when you have like 10 strains that are all the same with different names. I've also seen a lot of unscrupulous growers change or make up names to what ever the hot strain is at the moment to make sales.

I've done a fair amount of breeding and I can see that at times there is a need to name a new strain or a new cross or a specific pheno, etc. When testing new crosses it can get really confusing for the testers, especially if the crosses are similar. For example if you give a stoner three packs and they are labeled [(OR-Bx3) x GB-H 07], [OR-Bx2) x GB-H 07], and [OR-Bx3 x GB-H 06], there is going to be a lot of mix ups and mislabeling and confusion. People remember simple things, like "Guava Kush" or "Blueberry Pie" a lot easier than they do a string of letters and number noting the plant's genetic make up.

I was really against naming stuff for a long time but I've started to name my better ones out of ease and clarity. Using the notations of what the strain actually is tended to create a lot of mix ups. I started getting feed back on strains and crosses that didn't exist, because 80% of the people I gave them to got the notations mixed up!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
the best is when you take your casey jones to a club and next time you come back you see it in a jar labeled kushberry wreck

true story

S

Sunbiz1

Ocean Grown

What exactly is this?. If I were shopping here, I wouldn't have a clue and there is no description from what I can see....assuming it's a purple indica?.

This also brings up a related topic. What happens to the original strains when the mediums are changed?. I know for a fact that I'll be getting a different end product from the same seed in a few months. The first being my indoor/outdoor controlled environment and the second being the guerrilla grow. This is the reason I won't try Hawaiian again unless I have soil from the islands.

I wonder how many strains were created purely by accident?, I would wager quite a few.

S

Sunbiz1

The name game can be really annoying for sure, especially when you have like 10 strains that are all the same with different names. I've also seen a lot of unscrupulous growers change or make up names to what ever the hot strain is at the moment to make sales.

I've done a fair amount of breeding and I can see that at times there is a need to name a new strain or a new cross or a specific pheno, etc. When testing new crosses it can get really confusing for the testers, especially if the crosses are similar. For example if you give a stoner three packs and they are labeled [(OR-Bx3) x GB-H 07], [OR-Bx2) x GB-H 07], and [OR-Bx3 x GB-H 06], there is going to be a lot of mix ups and mislabeling and confusion. People remember simple things, like "Guava Kush" or "Blueberry Pie" a lot easier than they do a string of letters and number noting the plant's genetic make up.

I was really against naming stuff for a long time but I've started to name my better ones out of ease and clarity. Using the notations of what the strain actually is tended to create a lot of mix ups. I started getting feed back on strains and crosses that didn't exist, because 80% of the people I gave them to got the notations mixed up!

Sounds like they needed a chart, I know I would. Several years ago, I was given a kush plant by a friend. I'm not big on indica dominant strains, so I played amateur hour and put a male sativa near her outdoors. She hermied, then I grew the seeds. The end result was what I had hoped for, a kush flavor and smell with a sativa dominated high. For all I know, I may have used some of your genetics...I certainly hope so.

Peace!

A

AliasAO

the best is when you take your casey jones to a club and next time you come back you see it in a jar labeled kushberry wreck

true story

Shit.. my question is what did you do next??

Tell me you asked somebody...

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
To Grow Hawaiian Weed

The same as it is when grown in Hawaii you will not need Hawaiian soil. But you will need the Hawaiian sun and throw in the weather as well. One thing I know is that we all enjoy "GOOD" weed, I like that name

mal

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
The same as it is when grown in Hawaii you will not need Hawaiian soil. But you will need the Hawaiian sun and throw in the weather as well. One thing I know is that we all enjoy "GOOD" weed, I like that name

mal

I think that is my favorite name. "GOOD" weed.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Its DEFINITELY Ocean Grown.

Came from a lemon thai "secret ingredient" strain and crossed with a paki (KUSH mountain range)...

Created by the ocean, and called OG for OCEAN GROWN MOUNTAIN BUDS.

COPIED FROM THE WORLD WIDE WEB FOR A CONCISE DEFINITION:

Hybrid seed is created by crossing two highly inbred cultivars. When the two inbred parents are crossed with each other, the result is F1 hybrid seed. The seed companies have to repeat this exact same cross every year to produce F1 hybrid seed, such as ‘Bolero’ marigolds, or ‘Early Girl’ tomatoes.

If you cross 2 herbs, and grow out the offspring, and you mate a male and female from said offspring, you will have a BATCH OF F-1 hybrids (might be good, might be shit)

You can name it whatever you want at that point, because you made it. Whether it was an accident or not..

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Its DEFINITELY Ocean Grown.

Came from a lemon thai "secret ingredient" strain and crossed with a paki (KUSH mountain range)...

Created by the ocean, and called OG for OCEAN GROWN MOUNTAIN BUDS.

COPIED FROM THE WORLD WIDE WEB FOR A CONCISE DEFINITION:

Hybrid seed is created by crossing two highly inbred cultivars. When the two inbred parents are crossed with each other, the result is F1 hybrid seed. The seed companies have to repeat this exact same cross every year to produce F1 hybrid seed, such as ‘Bolero’ marigolds, or ‘Early Girl’ tomatoes.

If you cross 2 herbs, and grow out the offspring, and you mate a male and female from said offspring, you will have a BATCH OF F-1 hybrids (might be good, might be shit)

You can name it whatever you want at that point, because you made it. Whether it was an accident or not..

ocean grown, ya right.. funny.:giggle:giggle:giggle

um yeah seriously - its Ocean Grown

this has been discussed at length, many times on many boards

im so super serious

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

yeah, it stands for Ocean Grown.
@ capulator
"Came from a lemon thai "secret ingredient" strain and crossed with a paki (KUSH mountain range)...

Created by the ocean, and called OG for OCEAN GROWN MOUNTAIN BUDS. "
is the lemon thai what was crossed into what was known as "OG Kush" in the 90's in cali? I ask because I've been trying to cull down my gene pool but would be sad to get rid of something that parented some of my favorite strains.

E

Empire

i know its been debated time and time again.. but its all hearsay. and always will be. maybe we should contact swerve and ask him muhahaha

just kidding. ocean grown. original ganster. whatever.. it could stand for obamas greed for all i care.

if og came from a s1 of Chemdog 91, how can it be a secret lemon thai/ paki kush?

yah. internet hearsay. my point exactly.

Top Bottom