For you Geneticists

• Thread starter Sunbiz1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
johnursery

johnursery

@Capulator, Brother, you really need to do a little more research, I know of half a dozen breeders that are trying to stabilize the hermie traits of quite a few landrace strains, remember this, when they are in the wild, their main goal is to reproduce and make seed, so with landrace genetics, alot of them will pollinate themselves if they don't sense a male nearby, hermaphrodites are a thing of nature, but I have seen so many people/so-called breeders use sprays, GA-3, STS, Colloidal Silver to reverse a plant, and that just seems to me, you're almost asking for problems...

I can see if someone wants to try and preserve a clone only elite strain, but it seems to weaken the link in the genetic chain. I believe in the ol' fashioned way of breeding, boy on girl. but rest assured there are not too many strains that won't hermie if given the right situations, environmental factors, try letting ANY of your prized strains flower for a couple/few extra weeks and see what happens, that's how I made my ONLY batch of feminized seeds, I left a Nevilles Haze in flower for almost 15 weeks, it didn't drop any balls, but the nanners in the buds at 14 weeks were full of female pollen and it hit everything I put in there....and ALL those seeds are female, Do they hermie? yes, but not until after most folks would've already harvested them. she throws late-life nanners almost always.....
My point being, "Landraces will hermie just as bad if not worse in some cases" just my 2 cents.

Name changing sucks, I always try to name my hybrids/poly-hybrids with a name that reflects the parents or lineage, I mean what would you call a hybrid made up of Blue Cheese x Empress Kush (Chemdog D x Headband/OG kush)? I named it "Blue Geez", sometimes it's hard to come up with a marketable name and stay true to the combined genetics, but for these clubs to just outright change the name to something that sounds cool is just completely f****d.....but, whatcha gonna do?:sign0065:

I like this thread, except for the J.H. reference, and I'm with MotherLode on the "Ocean Grown" for the OG, I heard that years ago, almost 10 years ago. and I am also sick of the whole Chem, OGKush, Diesel debate....They all came from Chemdog's bag of 13 seeds or however many was in that bag from the Dead show.....Lol
Peace to all,
Freak - Cabin Fever :harvest:

P.S. My next few strains will be "Good" weed, "Really Good" weed and "Extremely Good" weed....lol

could you let me in on who's breeding to stabalize hermi traits so i can avoid there gear like the plague lol....its good to know who does and doesnt use hermis in there gear

S

Sunbiz1

yeah thats an excellent point

Read all 16 chapters last night/this AM, it was time very well spent. I had completely forgotten why I grew up despising the DuPont Corp, Jack reminded me.

I have a question for all if I may:

On a very windy day, how far away would an industrial hemp field have to be located from a medical grow so as NOT to do the obvious?.

How far can pollen travel?.

S

Sunbiz1

http://www.gardenology.org/wiki/Plant_sexuality

http://independent.academia.edu/Lau...NG_AND_BIPARENTAL_INBREEDING_AMONG_SEX_MORPHS

Some cool info here on breeding, especially the stuff about inbreeding depression.

@freak: thank you for pushing me in to some research. I spent about 8 hours yesterday researching hemaphrodites.

If you happen to have any further links regarding hermaphrodites handy, I would enjoy reading them. I haven't updated my thread on it in a while, been waiting for later flowering stages.

Peace

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Check out the Cannabis Breeders Bible, and Marijuana Botany. Both great books and they explain a lot of valuable info!

Cheers,
Crom

A

AliasAO

Check out the Cannabis Breeders Bible, and Marijuana Botany. Both great books and they explain a lot of valuable info!

Cheers,
Crom

Yo crom, If you had to recommend just one breeding book which would you go with?

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
The Breeders bible is all breeding. The Marijuana Botany book is excellent, older, excellent author as well. If you want to know about "just" breeding get the bible, if you want an overall good read, history,and with breeding information get Marijuana Botany. Get both eventually, trust me great resources.

Cheers,
Crom

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Maybe if you took a hermie prone sativa and hit it with a real stable indica or sativa that never seems to intersex? Hmm I have found ways to grow plants that tend to hermie. My SSSDH pops nuts around 2.5-3 weeks,IME, so that is when I lollipop. All the lower sites get the male flowers. When I remove those larf producing areas I remove 90% of all the male flowers. I also like to spray the plants in that early transition/bloom phase to kill any pollen that may have made it early or whatever. This has helped me dramatically reduce seeded buds when I run that particular pheno. It sucks, but the smoke is great! I make it into oil either way so the seeds don't get used or smoked. Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Crom

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

The first wave of cannabis into our culture was the direct result of an interesting (and uniquely American character) named Neal Cassady.

There was an earlier time when the only available smoke was through your local Mexican neighborhood or near the docks. Gene Krupa and his fellow Jazzmen were the heralds of this era.

Neal Cassady was one of the most important figures in the entire history of cannabis. He personally introduced weed by the traincar to California when he worked on the railroads, buying it wholesale in old Mexico and handing it out free to anyone deemed hip on his travels. Much later he was the driver of Ken Kesey and the Merry Prankster's Magic Bus. The man has a story worth learning. I intend on naming a future strain after him (after stabilization and proper breeding are completed).

The hobby growers of the hippy era had little genetic diversity to work with. The Vietnam War directly influenced the cannabis culture by exposing so many men from so many walks to the herb, discrediting a generation of propaganda in the process. They had Columbian, Mexican, Thai, and Jamaican strains to work with. These became the progenators of our current market's produce.

Around the late seventies California was introduced to the second wave of genetics. Mainly from Afghanistan, India, Vietnam, and the mideast these strains were bred into the previous genepool successfully; producing many of our still-today finest spice. Anything named Kush was first bred during this period. Skunk also rose here.

The current third wave of genetic diversity includes many African and Ruderalis strains, along with any other hidden corner of the world with landrace-potential cannabis growing.

The history in this country alone in the last fifty years is enough to make your head spin (damn I hate cliches). Imagine if every strain that you bought was labelled with the landrace origins only. Would you want to buy Afghani x Mexico x Columbia, or just the strain name of Skunk 1? The names lessen confusion; they don't increase it. They're for you laymen's benefit after all...

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Only thing that sux is there isn't pictures, that I saw when scanning through the chapters, but the info looks right.

Top Bottom