• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
yeah, it stands for Ocean Grown.
@ capulator
"Came from a lemon thai "secret ingredient" strain and crossed with a paki (KUSH mountain range)...

Created by the ocean, and called OG for OCEAN GROWN MOUNTAIN BUDS. "
is the lemon thai what was crossed into what was known as "OG Kush" in the 90's in cali? I ask because I've been trying to cull down my gene pool but would be sad to get rid of something that parented some of my favorite strains.

As far as I know yes. Got given away when the creator fell in love and moved I think to Australia, and I believe it became sfv (san fernando valley)..cut... At least that's the legend amongst the locals.

S

Sunbiz1

Come on. OG standing for Organic Grown has to be a joke.

All these strains you see today came from a handful of strains. They are Hybrids that give you a little hint of what the amazing weed it was created from was like. I don't know if anyone likes that dude called the nose but one thing he has correct is most of the stuff that goes around is just a lame cross of a cross. Even cup entries are a bunch of similar crosses that fail to bring something special or different to the table. It's sad but true. A lot more to the story tho.....Progress has been made and and it's not all bad.

fred

"They are Hybrids that give you a little hint of what the amazing weed it was created from was like."

Are the originals better?. And if so, why even try improving upon them?. Or is this simply a means of satisfying the US consumer's neverending appetite for something "new"?.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Do you like NYC diesel?
Sour Diesel?
LA con?
OG?

These are all hybrids, and in some cases, complete accidents...

I think that if you can keep the same name to the same hybrid you are good. It will always help identify the plant, and the cross. The problem is, people change names for convenience, and dispensaries change names for sales.

Landraces also hybridize. I have three colombian girls that are all different. All came from the wild. Its all about evolution.

If you want stable genetics (less hermies)... go back to landraces. You will get a male, or female, but rarely a herm.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sorry about that Sea,

As I already mentioned, it was a poor example to have utilized. Particularly since that strain has the qualities I like, plus he just passed away last year I believe. I simply pulled it out of my hat at the time. OG would have been a better illustration(or the dozens of others I have not a clue on), I assume it's short for organic gardening?.

If I offended anyone else, I apologize.

Take care of that thumb...ouch.
No worries, Sunbiz.

Ocean Grown

OG is Outlaw Grower
Damn it! Here *I've* been laboring under the impression that OG stood for Original Gangsta.
facepalm.gif

Honestly, for this old gal, ocean grown sounds *so* much better.

S

Sunbiz1

Do you like NYC diesel?
Sour Diesel?
LA con?
OG?

These are all hybrids, and in some cases, complete accidents...

I think that if you can keep the same name to the same hybrid you are good. It will always help identify the plant, and the cross. The problem is, people change names for convenience, and dispensaries change names for sales.

Landraces also hybridize. I have three colombian girls that are all different. All came from the wild. Its all about evolution.

If you want stable genetics (less hermies)... go back to landraces. You will get a male, or female, but rarely a herm.

From yesterday:

Think I'll name mine Chicago Fire.
:banana1sv6:

Freak

Freak

Breeder
Supporter
@Capulator, Brother, you really need to do a little more research, I know of half a dozen breeders that are trying to stabilize the hermie traits of quite a few landrace strains, remember this, when they are in the wild, their main goal is to reproduce and make seed, so with landrace genetics, alot of them will pollinate themselves if they don't sense a male nearby, hermaphrodites are a thing of nature, but I have seen so many people/so-called breeders use sprays, GA-3, STS, Colloidal Silver to reverse a plant, and that just seems to me, you're almost asking for problems...

I can see if someone wants to try and preserve a clone only elite strain, but it seems to weaken the link in the genetic chain. I believe in the ol' fashioned way of breeding, boy on girl. but rest assured there are not too many strains that won't hermie if given the right situations, environmental factors, try letting ANY of your prized strains flower for a couple/few extra weeks and see what happens, that's how I made my ONLY batch of feminized seeds, I left a Nevilles Haze in flower for almost 15 weeks, it didn't drop any balls, but the nanners in the buds at 14 weeks were full of female pollen and it hit everything I put in there....and ALL those seeds are female, Do they hermie? yes, but not until after most folks would've already harvested them. she throws late-life nanners almost always.....
My point being, "Landraces will hermie just as bad if not worse in some cases" just my 2 cents.

Name changing sucks, I always try to name my hybrids/poly-hybrids with a name that reflects the parents or lineage, I mean what would you call a hybrid made up of Blue Cheese x Empress Kush (Chemdog D x Headband/OG kush)? I named it "Blue Geez", sometimes it's hard to come up with a marketable name and stay true to the combined genetics, but for these clubs to just outright change the name to something that sounds cool is just completely f****d.....but, whatcha gonna do?:sign0065:

I like this thread, except for the J.H. reference, and I'm with MotherLode on the "Ocean Grown" for the OG, I heard that years ago, almost 10 years ago. and I am also sick of the whole Chem, OGKush, Diesel debate....They all came from Chemdog's bag of 13 seeds or however many was in that bag from the Dead show.....Lol
Peace to all,
Freak - Cabin Fever :harvest:

P.S. My next few strains will be "Good" weed, "Really Good" weed and "Extremely Good" weed....lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can you imagine how all this is going to change once we really get into sequencing cannabis DNA? Before we know it we'll be able to do like we can with our dogs, send in a sample, have it sequenced and they'll tell you what breeds make up your mutt.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Thanks for that info freak.. I never knew any of that about Chemdog's 13 bag seeds. Its nice to hear some of the actual history of all this. I know there is a lot of BS and misinfo floating around.

Freak

Freak

Breeder
Supporter
SeaMaiden, I am so doing that for my rescue dog, she looks half Pitbull and half Jack Russell with a little bit of snoopy tossed in.
Thanks
Freak

S

Sunbiz1

@Capulator, Brother, you really need to do a little more research, I know of half a dozen breeders that are trying to stabilize the hermie traits of quite a few landrace strains, remember this, when they are in the wild, their main goal is to reproduce and make seed, so with landrace genetics, alot of them will pollinate themselves if they don't sense a male nearby, hermaphrodites are a thing of nature, but I have seen so many people/so-called breeders use sprays, GA-3, STS, Colloidal Silver to reverse a plant, and that just seems to me, you're almost asking for problems...

I can see if someone wants to try and preserve a clone only elite strain, but it seems to weaken the link in the genetic chain. I believe in the ol' fashioned way of breeding, boy on girl. but rest assured there are not too many strains that won't hermie if given the right situations, environmental factors, try letting ANY of your prized strains flower for a couple/few extra weeks and see what happens, that's how I made my ONLY batch of feminized seeds, I left a Nevilles Haze in flower for almost 15 weeks, it didn't drop any balls, but the nanners in the buds at 14 weeks were full of female pollen and it hit everything I put in there....and ALL those seeds are female, Do they hermie? yes, but not until after most folks would've already harvested them. she throws late-life nanners almost always.....
My point being, "Landraces will hermie just as bad if not worse in some cases" just my 2 cents.

Name changing sucks, I always try to name my hybrids/poly-hybrids with a name that reflects the parents or lineage, I mean what would you call a hybrid made up of Blue Cheese x Empress Kush (Chemdog D x Headband/OG kush)? I named it "Blue Geez", sometimes it's hard to come up with a marketable name and stay true to the combined genetics, but for these clubs to just outright change the name to something that sounds cool is just completely f****d.....but, whatcha gonna do?:sign0065:

I like this thread, except for the J.H. reference, and I'm with MotherLode on the "Ocean Grown" for the OG, I heard that years ago, almost 10 years ago. and I am also sick of the whole Chem, OGKush, Diesel debate....They all came from Chemdog's bag of 13 seeds or however many was in that bag from the Dead show.....Lol
Peace to all,

P.S. My next few strains will be "Good" weed, "Really Good" weed and "Extremely Good" weed....lol

I'll edit the JH reference, it was sarcasm in poor taste. However, I'm sure if I grew that strain in different mediums I would come out with different end products. If only I could simulate the more exotic habitats(valleys in South America, Thailand, Jamaica etc)that created the originals...then I would be an even happier grower.

Thank you for the posting, very informative.

S

Sunbiz1

Apparently there is a time limit here to edit...can't change old Jack back.

A

AliasAO

Thanks for that info freak.. I never knew any of that about Chemdog's 13 bag seeds. Its nice to hear some of the actual history of all this. I know there is a lot of BS and misinfo floating around.

Had this in my subscibed threads, check it out:

Interesting little story. Like a fairytale story for the MJ community. lol

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Thank you AliasAO i know what i will be reading tonight. :)

E

egon420

man do you know cannabis at all? and blueberry is one of the best strains ever and it came from the bullshit we used to smoke back in the day that your talking about

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter

I can see if someone wants to try and preserve a clone only elite strain, but it seems to weaken the link in the genetic chain. I believe in the ol' fashioned way of breeding, boy on girl. but rest assured there are not too many strains that won't hermie if given the right situations, environmental factors, try letting ANY of your prized strains flower for a couple/few extra weeks and see what happens, that's how I made my ONLY batch of feminized seeds, I left a Nevilles Haze in flower for almost 15 weeks, it didn't drop any balls, but the nanners in the buds at 14 weeks were full of female pollen and it hit everything I put iny there....and ALL those seeds are female, Do they hermie? yes, but not until after most folks would've already harvested them. she throws late-life nanners almost always.....

Peace to all,

I'll get on that research. Thanks, brother. I guess all that talk about original genetics aka landraces being more stable is just talk. any plant will herm if you stress it enough. Also, plants want to reproduce whether they are in the wild or in a CE. Do you really think that in the wild it is common for a female to herm if there is no male around? Generally where there is a female in the wild, there is a male...

S

Sunbiz1

man do you know cannabis at all? and blueberry is one of the best strains ever and it came from the bullshit we used to smoke back in the day that your talking about

Is this a debate regarding what strain provides the best end result...or simply an ego response?.

As I mentioned to open this thread, there is nothing new under the sun. Back in 1985, I paid $250/per Oz of Hawaain)sp). It came vacuum sealed off a US Navy ship at the time stationed in the islands.

Chill dude

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter

Is this a debate regarding what strain provides the best end result...or simply an ego response?.

As I mentioned to open this thread, there is nothing new under the sun. Back in 1985, I paid $250/per Oz of Hawaain)sp). It came vacuum sealed off a US Navy ship at the time stationed in the islands.

Chill dude

+1 chill

thats a pretty bad atttitude for your first post here

C

CAPO

Apparently there is a time limit here to edit...can't change old Jack back.

no worries Sunbiz....we all know ya meant no harm...I can forgive ya.
I gotta say though, If ya ever met Jack and shook his hand, you certainly would remember him as I do...he was just one of those vibrant characters.
Plus on a good note, the strain Jack Herer was not created by Jack...it was someone honoring him. He never was a "strain" promoter or any of that jazz..he simply will go down in the history books as Jack Herer..."The Emperor of Hemp"!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
on a good note, the strain Jack Herer was not created by Jack...it was someone honoring him. He never was a "strain" promoter or any of that jazz..he simply will go down in the history books as Jack Herer..."The Emperor of Hemp"!

yeah thats an excellent point

S

Sunbiz1

no worries Sunbiz....we all know ya meant no harm...I can forgive ya.
I gotta say though, If ya ever met Jack and shook his hand, you certainly would remember him as I do...he was just one of those vibrant characters.
Plus on a good note, the strain Jack Herer was not created by Jack...it was someone honoring him. He never was a "strain" promoter or any of that jazz..he simply will go down in the history books as Jack Herer..."The Emperor of Hemp"!

I walked into a hydroponics store earlier today, there was guy working the counter covered in tattoos. He had never heard of using molasses during flowering let alone Jack. I walked out after viewing a hydroponic system I could probably make out of a rubbermaid container and a pump etc. for less than half their retail price.

http://www.jackherer.com/

I'll now shut-up and read.

Top Bottom