Fox Farm vs Pro-Mix vs Roots Organic

• Thread starter TapwaterKiller
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
waayne

waayne

All the pallets of FF I ever got from Cali were fine>>>I never had problems with that soil. The pallet I got that was shipped from North Carolina was completely different from their past Ocean Forest product >>>and yes it was defective>>and yes I got poor customer service from them...and no, you don't have to believe a word I say :evilgrin0040:

Bublonichronic

Bublonichronic

All the pallets of FF I ever got from Cali were fine>>>I never had problems with that soil. The pallet I got that was shipped from North Carolina was completely different from their past Ocean Forest product >>>and yes it was defective>>and yes I got poor customer service from them...and no, you don't have to believe a word I say :evilgrin0040:

im not sayin i dont believe you man...but i did call FoxFarm, and they did confirm they only have 1 facility where they produce the soil...so if you got a pallet from North Caroline thats fucking weird.....and maybe the soil was sitting out in rain for a long time or somthing, and you should have been taken care of by the company, im not tryn to argue with you man...

waayne

waayne

Bro they do have one soil facility now, but when Willy, the original owner went nationwide with his soil line, a plant was opened and operated in NC. for a short while and with all the problems they were having there they eventually shut it down..
if I would have known at the time what I do now I would have hung on to the shipping label and documents for proof.....

I had great results with their Ocean Forest until then..
I have not used their product in about 2 years so I don't know how it is of today>>I can only tell you of my experience..
I still use Light Warrior for seedlings so don't think I'm a FF hater
I tested their soil benes last year>>you can check my thread on it if you like and you'll see I was testing their benes before they were released to their dealers>>>>I still have a couple of friends there ;)

C

CT Guy

isnt there a difference between saying "oh i had a bad experience because of***** problem i had".....and being like "i had a bad experience, so they must have changed their ingrediens or used up their good stuff and the company is getting worse"

all i ask for was where he got this "hearsay"....and no, his "friends" word on fox farms humis deposit dosent mean shit to me, expecially since i have NEVER had a problem...maybe some fungus gnats, lol.....but if its good for you, good, dont use it...it really makes no difference to me guy

You are aware that your word is just "hearsay" as well. :)

Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff because I can make a living soil that's 1000X better and I think there's better commercial soils to be found/made locally. But I'm glad you're doing well with it.

Are they even considered 100% organic? Do they have a real organic cert, or just OMRI?

Bublonichronic

Bublonichronic

You are aware that your word is just "hearsay" as well. :)

Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff because I can make a living soil that's 1000X better and I think there's better commercial soils to be found/made locally. But I'm glad you're doing well with it.

Are they even considered 100% organic? Do they have a real organic cert, or just OMRI?

what have i said? other than i like it, which yes, i am aware thats a opinion, lol....and i did call them, you dont have to believe me, and i wouldnt blaime you....and about how organic it is...i think its safe to say were getting off the original topic and just looking for anything... so i tryd to make my point about how rumors CAN and DO start on the internet..., im sorry i didnt make sense to you guys...peace

EDIT:WOW... fox farm is making me eat my words, and it dont taste good....but i literally just called them 3 times, 2 times on the 1800# and and once on the 707 line....the first person told me no such facility in NC all soil is made in california....second person told me they do have a storage facility out in NC, and the third i talked to said yes they do make soil out there, and it does use different bark or whatever, and the facility is still runing today....so i def believe you that the customer service is terrible wayne:fighting0085:

G

GrimloxK

Bro they do have one soil facility now, but when Willy, the original owner went nationwide with his soil line, a plant was opened and operated in NC. for a short while and with all the problems they were having there they eventually shut it down..
if I would have known at the time what I do now I would have hung on to the shipping label and documents for proof.....

I had great results with their Ocean Forest until then..
I have not used their product in about 2 years so I don't know how it is of today>>I can only tell you of my experience..
I still use Light Warrior for seedlings so don't think I'm a FF hater
I tested their soil benes last year>>you can check my thread on it if you like and you'll see I was testing their benes before they were released to their dealers>>>>I still have a couple of friends there ;)

Waayne...how do you find the light warrior working with the seedlings? I'm thinking about using it on my 2nd grow for my seedlings then transfering them over to a mix of FF light warrior and roots organics pottings soil.

waayne

waayne

Grimlox I have good success with Light Warrior as a seed starter.
I use it straight out of the bag.

I would definitely cut the Roots with some Light Warrior and
I'd also add some Perlite to the mix.

I find that Roots tends to be a little rich straight out of the bag for some strains.

B

Buddy Hemphill

Grimlox I have good success with Light Warrior as a seed starter.
I use it straight out of the bag.

I would definitely cut the Roots with some Light Warrior and
I'd also add some Perlite to the mix.

I find that Roots tends to be a little rich straight out of the bag for some strains.

Roots 707...light warrior...chunky perlite...

You can start with light to medium feedings, depending on strain, from day 1.

G

GrimloxK

No 707 for me, I have the roots potting soil.

Do you think it would be straight to put my seed in a solo cup of Light warrior with the bottom inch or so of roots potting soil?

Me reason is that by the time the seedling as developed a couple leaf sets they would be looking for some type of nutrition so when the roots hit the potting soil, they'll be good and then switch them over to a 1 gallon container...?

Also in regards to feedings like Buddy was saying...should I just wait till it enters the veg stage? Or should I just wait until the plant asks for feedings?

Right now I was planning on fortifying my 1 gallon container of roots soil cut with Light warrior with some azomite, dolomite lime, and Bio Ag VAM-endo spores.

But I do have the roots organics nute line as well, and some neptunes seaweed fertilizer.

B

Buddy Hemphill

No 707 for me, I have the roots potting soil.

Do you think it would be straight to put my seed in a solo cup of Light warrior with the bottom inch or so of roots potting soil?

Me reason is that by the time the seedling as developed a couple leaf sets they would be looking for some type of nutrition so when the roots hit the potting soil, they'll be good and then switch them over to a 1 gallon container...?

Also in regards to feedings like Buddy was saying...should I just wait till it enters the veg stage? Or should I just wait until the plant asks for feedings?

Right now I was planning on fortifying my 1 gallon container of roots soil cut with Light warrior with some azomite, dolomite lime, and Bio Ag VAM-endo spores.

But I do have the roots organics nute line as well, and some neptunes seaweed fertilizer.

I think by the time the plant ate everything in a solo cup of light warrior, it would be time to transplant it anyway.

I tried putting supersoil in the bottom of a 3 gallon smart pot. Supersoil is great in 5-7 gallon pots, but the roots get to hot soil too quickly in a 3 gallon container.

If you have a light feeder it might not need more than light warrior and light nutes for a while.

HumboldtDr

HumboldtDr

Whats your ailment?
Supporter
used FFOF for years, been pretty plesased. but all this talk has inspired me to get my soil tested. its been 2 years, same dirt. glad my tea co.(beneficial tea co) do that for me.

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
I use peat in lieu of coco for a few reasons. It seems to hold and distribute nutrients better over time. Its cheaper. And it comes in a brick which makes it harder for critters to make a home. Havent found anything in my peat. Knock on wood!

S

Smokeyjojackson

I just went back to Fox Farm because I got tired of constantly battling the bugs that seem to come in Roots Organic. This last batch was full of thrips.

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

I just went back to Fox Farm because I got tired of constantly battling the bugs that seem to come in Roots Organic. This last batch was full of thrips.

Seconded, my last few bags of RO have been full of thrips and ahpids! I didnt have these fuckers a grow ago! Tore down my tent, disinfected everything and moved rooms because of those fuckers!

Im using light warrior for my seeds in veg now, but am not sure wht ill switch to when the time comes for a lil hotter of a mix!

Jolly Mon

Jolly Mon

Most soil made in nor cal. have had their fare share of problems. everybobdy is trying to make some $$ while they can. Plus most all places that make it are within a few miles of the beach .

B

Buddy Hemphill

OK ...this is prolly for a different thread.

But alot of roots/FF guys are on this thread.

Whats the difference (in reality) between 707...and Promix that has been lightly ammended?

Promix is sealed. I wont buy it if there is a tear in the bag.

It smells like pesticide when I open it. ( a plus in my book )

I always cut ANY soil 30%ish (depending on factory perlite amount) with perlite anyway.

I always feed a good strong EWC a few days before my plants go in anyway to make sure microbial life is going before they hit the dirt.

I use 707 because of the LACK of nutrients, so that I can do my thing with the nutes.

I guess the question is...what advantage is Roots over microbe innoculated Promix? .... Just the fact that I can get away with plain water thru most of veg and some of flower?

I know that this is a kind of a trick question...but my point is...Isn't knowing I would be getting clean soil from promix enough to adjust my program to Promix ? ....and get away from the 'organic' mixes that seem to be having SERIOUS quality control issues with bugs...

FWIW....thats what I am doing next run. Fuck all this buggy soil. I started in pure promix/perlite.. and it looks like thats where I am going to again.

G

giantsfan24

I've been using FF soil exclusively and it's been awesome for me. Their customer service has been outstanding when I've had any issue at all.

PM isn't a soil issue is it? I thought that was a humidity and vegetation issue. I got it in my first grow due to high humidity but in my current grow, I haven't had any issues.

My only problem is not anticipating the cal/mag deficiency early but that's corrected now and my grow is going great.

No bugs at all.

namaste

Top Bottom