Frankster's Diagnostic Helpline; post your problem child here.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MTLEADER

MTLEADER

Yea, banjo's sounds fun. Picking is cool stuff IMO, so many different styles to play. No I'm certainly not too old to learn.
Man, this last batch is so damn oily, I have too roll them a bit smaller and looser so they don't get too bad.

I'm really happy with this last run. Really hitting on all cylinders. very complex narcotic stone. hits you right in the head, bam. 🥴
Instruments need to be finely tuned to be appreciated; lots of care for items; an investment if you really want to submerge yourself into learning. I suppose you can get pretty darn good with simple acoustic, no doubt. But musical equipment is like anything else, once you immerse yourself in it completely, it gets more expensive to maintain.
I taught myself how to play guitar with a poster of "TAB" (finger placement on fretboard) cant read sheet music. Played an acoustic to build finger strength and played right to my fingers bleeding to build callus on them also. If you ever do start to learn guitar pick up a Taylor acoustic or an Les Paul. Looking at around $400-$500 for those specific brands and wont really need a replacement unless you can a ford a Gibson after you learn to play. It is very enjoyable to learn and to play. Once you do learn the cords you'll find that you really hear your favorite songs in a different ear then it's funny.

MTLEADER

MTLEADER

Here I got a plant for you to look at normally @ComfterblyNumb helps me out with my grow but I'm sure he is busy packing or on there move. It is a normal photo plant in FFOF soil 3 gallon pot using recharge, sticky icky, fish shit and earth dust base and bloom. I was using my well water buy it is way to alkaline so switched to distilled water. The autos I have growing with it have not had issues like this just small growth but that is because I am learning how to grow right now and not trying anything fancy yet just, trying to get them to survive. I think it might be over watering or a lack of sulfur but do want to know for sure if I can.

IMG 20220328 105956b
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

I’m really not an organic dude but I know all the stuff your using should give you a successful harvest. That being said the plant looks totally locked out. I know ppl say you don’t have to worry about ph in soil but I would give it a good watering with water ph’d to about 6.0. And maybe dim or back off light or stick in corner, whatever to reduce light intensity.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I 've been hit with 110/120v hundreds of times...220v....a bunch & 347v a few times.....I worked in the ship yards for years both wiring and working for the temp light and ventilation crew. supplying the trades with power,lighting, fans & ducting for ventilating the welding throughout the ships...hundreds of welders required a lot of ventilation and we always worked hot....can't shut off everything on the way overloaded circuits.

The last place I worked in the hospital doing electrical maintenance the lighting was 120 v & 347v.......all the hallway, stairwell & office lighting was 347v...with 4 -5 -6-7 offices on a single lighting circuit I couldn't shut them all down to fix a light so I'd cut the hot, cap it and disconnect....fix what ever was wrong and re connect the hot last.....trouble is there is a lot of load on the circuits with all the lights still on and if you break the circuit you have the whole load in your hands. I try and just pigtail the marrett and not fry myself stripping and recapping the connection.....didn't always work

I got hit twice in a row with 347v...knocked me off my 6 ft ladder, dropped down to the floor, got up not wanting to make a scene, shook it off and got back up to reconnect...now nervous and sweaty I did it again fkin whack..down off the ladder again,,, old folks in wheelchairs coming to my aid after the flash...lol....shook up but okay I got up laughed it off with a few of the oldies then went to the print room to find the circuit and shut it off.......I didn't do much the rest of the day hurt my fkin heart the second one......I could feel it for a long time afterwards......

I still twitch thinking about it and some other real close calls that could have killed me one would have fried me and the shut power off in half the city........I disconnected the wrong side of a 600v transformer thinking everything was off at the switch.......It still give me the willies....
hey, late getting back on this, I got a lot of my hits in the shipyard from welding. We weld our boxes on the ships structure using it for ground and when you hold a box and they tack it in place you get hit with the welding current....Bad boots caused me a lot of pain & the learning curve was like using those dog collars.

cshell

cshell

Here's a problem I think I already know the answer to. I'm growing 4 plants right now (OG Kush (F), Cinderella 99 (R), Gelato (R), and Cherry 18 (F) in two 27-gallon totes. It's my first attempt at growing in home made organic no-till soil. Up until now, all of the plants have been doing beautifully.

I flipped them to 12/12 about two weeks ago... as expected, they all showed female flowers. The past couple of days I'm noticing the Cherry 18 (from Crockett Family Farms), though from a fem seed, has some branches producing balls right next to the fem flowers. I've cut five or six stems that are doing this but keep finding more. None of the ones I've found so far have opened yet, but I guess it's just a matter of time. Some of the larger branches still look fine with no herm signs so far.

My question is do I need to kill this plant, or do you think I can just clear out all of the branches with male flowers and keep an eye out for more? I really really really don't want to end up with a tent full of seeded bud.

As I said... I think I know what I gotta do, but opinions from those with more experience are welcome. Thanks.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Here's a problem I think I already know the answer to. I'm growing 4 plants right now (OG Kush (F), Cinderella 99 (R), Gelato (R), and Cherry 18 (F) in two 27-gallon totes. It's my first attempt at growing in home made organic no-till soil. Up until now, all of the plants have been doing beautifully.

I flipped them to 12/12 about two weeks ago... as expected, they all showed female flowers. The past couple of days I'm noticing the Cherry 18 (from Crockett Family Farms), though from a fem seed, has some branches producing balls right next to the fem flowers. I've cut five or six stems that are doing this but keep finding more. None of the ones I've found so far have opened yet, but I guess it's just a matter of time. Some of the larger branches still look fine with no herm signs so far.

My question is do I need to kill this plant, or do you think I can just clear out all of the branches with male flowers and keep an eye out for more? I really really really don't want to end up with a tent full of seeded bud.

As I said... I think I know what I gotta do, but opinions from those with more experience are welcome. Thanks.
🪓 kill it’s to early to mess with it

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
hey, late getting back on this, I got a lot of my hits in the shipyard from welding. We weld our boxes on the ships structure using it for ground and when you hold a box and they tack it in place you get hit with the welding current....Bad boots caused me a lot of pain & the learning curve was like using those dog collars.
I have a problem with a Bubble Bomb I'd like you to help me with please Frankster. She's was flipped to flower Mar 1......I noticed something was off week 2 after I fed her 6ml Micro/6mlGro/12ml bloom. 1 ml Flurolisious & 5ml Cal/mag...+ 5ml phup.....

The following week I gave her a worm casting tea I'd made 2 days earlier with 4 tbs/gallon = 16+tbs in a cheesecloth bag soaked for 2 days.....

She was not looking good with papery leaves, dry, yellowy green, hanging with a purple stem & stalk....

Next week I fed her again 6/6/12/1/ + 5ml up.....My ph tester is fked a new one here tomorrow but it was reading 6.2 before I added dolomite lime and it was on it way back up when this happened...ppm has been 800 - 880...

Last week I watered with RO water only, 2 gallons of zero ppm water and its looking better but I've lost 3 critical growth weeks.

It has no buds yet ( or very very small ) I've grown this strain before and it is locked up for sure I'm just not sure of the next step

I guess my question is now what....Feed as I normally would for a 1 month old plant or RO water again?

Feb 28
March 3
March 8 before and after bending manipulating
March 12
Mar 17
March 27

100 6847
100 6898
100 6898
100 6903
100 6938
100 6954
100 7010
cshell

cshell

So I snuffed the Cherry 18 a couple of days ago. Today, my freebee Gelato did the same thing... small clusters of male flowers right up against the female buds. Not nanners but full-fledged male flowers. Both of these plants were in the same tote in Coot's soil mix and were doing beautifully until this. I don't think I have any light leaks (hard to tell right now since the floor is full and the totes are heavy). Are these both just genetic hermies or is there something else that could be causing this?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Dude I found and one of these extra leaf fans ! Lol something I’m doin or just a mutant
Sorry for the long response time everyone; life has been hitting me hard these days. The wife hasn't been well; but is now recovering.🙏

I love seeing this kind of stuff 🥰 🥰 🥰 Mosh; that looks like a replication error or a transcription error to me. Either in the DNA->RNA or from the RNA->Proteins. Could be viral; could be a lot of things actually. Not precisely sure. Difficult to determine; although I think some assumptions can possibly be learned here. We need to know more specifics. It's a bit N heavy; but that's all I see nutrient wise; so it's looking pretty normal development; besides the errors...

What's the strain?... and did you find any more; or was it the one and only. ie. Any observable differences in environmental factors that could be contributing factors. ie. something different about the soils; ect...

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I taught myself how to play guitar with a poster of "TAB" (finger placement on fretboard) cant read sheet music. Played an acoustic to build finger strength and played right to my fingers bleeding to build callus on them also. If you ever do start to learn guitar pick up a Taylor acoustic or an Les Paul. Looking at around $400-$500 for those specific brands and wont really need a replacement unless you can a ford a Gibson after you learn to play. It is very enjoyable to learn and to play. Once you do learn the cords you'll find that you really hear your favorite songs in a different ear then it's funny.
I've tried a few times; harmonica also; but just never really ever put in the hard work and dedication. Musical instruments' is one of those things where your building grey matter; and new brain cells for sure. It's imprinted; and we probably learn things a certain way; then they stick with us. Lots of various nuances in how the same chords are struck; makes a huge difference in expression.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter

It can vary brother; there's clearly no straight answer on this subject. Especially without specific examples; background; and pictures.

The best answer I can give is this; Things like GMO (and others) especially a few of the older links get nanners; so simply pick them off; they are usually inert anyhow; and produce little or zero pollens. Some modern female strains actually carry (pseudo) male traits; such as balls; especially in late flowering; and it's a natural phenomena. It's just part of the isolate. A morphological expression of sorts; like a bearded woman.
Bearded  woman

That said; if it's producing actual pollens then it's often an environmental problem; ie. light rotation; or nutrient; or pH imbalances... ect..

This is a complicated subject. Last and not least; I'd be looking at genuine hermaphroditism; which I believe is relatively rare in cannabis these days.

Hope this helps.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I’m really not an organic dude but I know all the stuff your using should give you a successful harvest. That being said the plant looks totally locked out. I know ppl say you don’t have to worry about ph in soil but I would give it a good watering with water ph’d to about 6.0. And maybe dim or back off light or stick in corner, whatever to reduce light intensity.

Yea; @GrowHobo nailed it on the head. pH imbalances; looks pH'd acidic IMO; but difficult to tell. Could be multiple of factors also; but it's certainly not transpiring; and simply slowly fading away into oblivion. Cold could be a contributing part of it also; this time of year.

Anytime I have these sorts of issues I do exactly what he prescribed; adequate flush; and pH reset; Then go from there..... introducing half nutes; either right away; or the next day depending on what I think is how I want to proceed.... Sometimes they bounce back with little nutrients; than can be built back up again.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
So I snuffed the Cherry 18 a couple of days ago. Today, my freebee Gelato did the same thing... small clusters of male flowers right up against the female buds. Not nanners but full-fledged male flowers. Both of these plants were in the same tote in Coot's soil mix and were doing beautifully until this. I don't think I have any light leaks (hard to tell right now since the floor is full and the totes are heavy). Are these both just genetic hermies or is there something else that could be causing this?

Ideas? Suggestions?
I think there's something else to it; personally. Difficult to say for sure; but I really do think we sometimes dismiss genetics; and not looking at some of the more obvious culprits for this phenomena. But it's certainly a complicated subject that I'm still learning also.

And it varies hugely strain to strain; some are far more common for issues to happen; cause they are sativa leaning.... Whereas most of the stuff I've been working on these days is far more stable. But I'm not getting to that confidence level; to take on bigger problem Childs; finicky complex strains; because they can be exceptionally rewarding; if their executed correctly. ie. tightly dialed environmental considerations.

cshell

cshell

Thanks Frankster. My girlfriend was around today so I asked her to zip me in to the tent. Turned off the light and, it took a minute or two for my eyes to adjust, I found a light leak... dim, but there. A seam in the tent had started to separate and was allowing just a tiny bit of light to come through. Also, the tote with the two plants that hermed were in the back of the tent under the leak. The tote at the front still looks fine but the light fixture would have blocked the light leak from reaching those plants, so I guess it makes sense. The light was so dim I'm surprised it had any effect, but it would explain the cause. Really a shame... they were both gorgeous plants.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Thanks Frankster. My girlfriend was around today so I asked her to zip me in to the tent. Turned off the light and, it took a minute or two for my eyes to adjust, I found a light leak... dim, but there. A seam in the tent had started to separate and was allowing just a tiny bit of light to come through. Also, the tote with the two plants that hermed were in the back of the tent under the leak. The tote at the front still looks fine but the light fixture would have blocked the light leak from reaching those plants, so I guess it makes sense. The light was so dim I'm surprised it had any effect, but it would explain the cause. Really a shame... they were both gorgeous plants.
Yea; great to hear bubba. Glad your able to catch these things; no doubt the light can be very minimal. I used to have a friend from NASA who worked on the hubble telescope; one of 3 people doing what he did,, writing unix code; to run spectrograph on measuring distant objects in space. Eugine Lee; a professional graduate that did his masters via NASA grant; in Computer Engineering at Johns Hopins Univerity.. (also a massive pothead; pool shark; Korean American) A bonified Genius pothead; raised in Philadelphia; from the age of 3. His mother was a Refugee. The programs he wrote would run for weeks (months) sometimes; for spitting out the figure on supercomputers. Also; this is how we measure atomic particles "signature" ie. the "bandwidth" or "spectral signature" (of atomic elements) Spectrometer is pretty standard lab equipment; I've actually thought about making a reason to get one. (Although; I'd need room for it) From some place like ebay.

My point being; light is a very complex subject; and we know a great deal over the past 75 or so years. Cannabis are very sensitive light instruments; no doubt; specifically the long flowering sativa type; and it goes back to what @Aquaman used to always say back in the day.... Plant signaling... It's not just light; it the instructions "sets" themselves; the elements; it the way their assembled; that fits all the puzzle together; from both ends... chemistry; light; matter; energy; it's all a circle of sorts. a transfer....
Yinyang

Would be cool if I could perform chemistry essay's on our cultivars; and measure things more precisely. We could improve stuff better; guide it; perhaps. At minimum; it would give huge amounts of data on overall compositions; and overall purity; ratio's; breakdowns in atomic mass/per gram

Also; the eye adjustment thing. I'm not surprised either; TBH. And certainly sitting in the dark for 10-15 min adjust your eyes; if your not already like me; and see pinpoints of light when your eyes are already closed. 🤫 Anytime I use my thermal scope; or my NV goggles; it takes time for my eyes to adjust. I really enjoy standing out in the forest and letting my eyes acclimate; under the canopy.

The real takeaway here is that long flowering high sativa's should be left to the expert; and that some strains are FAR more sensitive than others. Also; that having a double barrier of dark; as a (lab grade) failsafe.... and active inhibitor of light penetration; a shell inside a shell... so to speak. ie. absolute darkness. Then you can only simply fuck it up directly; by actual "fuckups" instead of incidental ones.... like timers; or leaving the zipper open. or the door ajar; stooped shit that's easier to manage; w/good protocol.

Inverse Square Law 1 300x162

Last edited:
cshell

cshell

Yea; great to hear bubba. Glad your able to catch these things; no doubt the light can be very minimal. I used to have a friend from NASA who worked on the hubble telescope; one of 3 people doing what he did,, writing unix code; to run spectrograph on measuring distant objects in space. Eugine Lee; a professional graduate that did his masters via NASA grant; in Computer Engineering at Johns Hopins Univerity.. (also a massive pothead; pool shark; Korean American) A bonified Genius pothead; raised in Philadelphia; from the age of 3. His mother was a Refugee. The programs he wrote would run for weeks (months) sometimes; for spitting out the figure on supercomputers. Also; this is how we measure atomic particles "signature" ie. the "bandwidth" or "spectral signature" (of atomic elements) Spectrometer is pretty standard lab equipment; I've actually thought about making a reason to get one. (Although; I'd need room for it) From some place like ebay.

My point being; light is a very complex subject; and we know a great deal over the past 75 or so years. Cannabis are very sensitive light instruments; no doubt; specifically the long flowering sativa type; and it goes back to what @Aquaman used to always say back in the day.... Plant signaling... It's not just light; it the instructions "sets" themselves; the elements; it the way their assembled; that fits all the puzzle together; from both ends... chemistry; light; matter; energy; it's all a circle of sorts. a transfer....
View attachment 1231508

Would be cool if I could perform chemistry essay's on our cultivars; and measure things more precisely. We could improve stuff better; guide it; perhaps. At minimum; it would give huge amounts of data on overall compositions; and overall purity; ratio's; breakdowns in atomic mass/per gram

Also; the eye adjustment thing. I'm not surprised either; TBH. And certainly sitting in the dark for 10-15 min adjust your eyes; if your not already like me; and see pinpoints of light when your eyes are already closed. 🤫 Anytime I use my thermal scope; or my NV goggles; it takes time for my eyes to adjust. I really enjoy standing out in the forest and letting my eyes acclimate; under the canopy.

The real takeaway here is that long flowering high sativa's should be left to the expert; and that some strains are FAR more sensitive than others. Also; that having a double barrier of dark; as a (lab grade) failsafe.... and active inhibitor of light penetration; a shell inside a shell... so to speak. ie. absolute darkness. Then you can only simply fuck it up directly; by actual "fuckups" instead of incidental ones.... like timers; or leaving the zipper open. or the door ajar; stooped shit that's easier to manage; w/good protocol.

View attachment 1231507
I'm just an old guy with old eyes and you would think (wrongly it turns out) that since outdoor plants don't usually have this problem, even with moonlight and other light intrusions, that a small dim light-leak would not be a big problem. Lesson learned.

Pretty new to tent growing and new to the organic no-till method of growing. also new to Blumats. The results, until this, were stellar. Live and learn, eh? At least I still have two healthy plants.

Thanks again for your input, Frankster!

MTLEADER

MTLEADER

Ty @GrowHobo and @Frankster I flushed the soil with distilled water got some PH down for $3.26 😁 and the plant is outside in the sun it almost right away turned green. When I flushed the soil did I wash out all the microbes and stuff in the soil? If so is it ok to wait a couple days before I do the top dress and add all the stuff back to the soil ? That and the PH down I didn't use yet cause the distilled water I bought will last a few days. Hoe do I use the PH down if I have to use my well water though? Fill my water can and check the waters PH and then add PH down if I need it tell I get the right PH and then just water the plant right ? Then add nutes when I need them but check the soil PH every so often also.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I'm just an old guy with old eyes and you would think (wrongly it turns out) that since outdoor plants don't usually have this problem, even with moonlight and other light intrusions, that a small dim light-leak would not be a big problem. Lesson learned.

Pretty new to tent growing and new to the organic no-till method of growing. also new to Blumats. The results, until this, were stellar. Live and learn, eh? At least I still have two healthy plants.

Thanks again for your input, Frankster!
Agreed; this biology major wouldn't think so actually; 😆 That said; this old man has clearly learned some more things over time. it's a work in progress.
Here's another for everyone on light sensitivities....
For example, a large observational study of more than 40,000 women found that sleeping with a TV or light on was associated with a 17% increased risk of gaining 11 lbs over the course of five years ie. thus lights and hormones; and chemical signaling to ones brain; and nervous system. I don't believe plants are much different bubba. After all; were all shared genetic code.

Top Bottom