GAVITA

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
In theory over and/or under volting of electrical devices reduces the useful life, and output.
In financial analysis, increased maintenance cost and paying for something you don't need is a waste of money.
Multiply 50 lights by 20 locations and pennies add up. Rather rapidly too.

As for light output, heat generated, IR produced and plant reactions I can't say yet. Once they're hung I'll report back.
As for the 600SE vs the 6/750DE running at 600. Light output is the same. I'll check bulb temp tomorrow.

I thought bulb replacement was pretty much a non factor with the GP bulbs. I also thought dimming them had no affect on that particular bulbs lifespan.

I said it before and I will say it again. It may be a "waste", but having the option to dim is a huge benefit. Especially since some strains prefer less light, and some like more. You can also ease plants in to higher light intensities as they grow more root mass with a dimmable fixture.

T

toquer

the 600SE ballast runs 10F hotter than the 6/750 does at 600W, the bulbs run the same temperature. Ahh, but the surface area of the 6/750 is greater, so it's probably a moot point. Once i have the lux meter back i'll report differences there at various distances from the bulb. i'll do the same for the 1000's once they're hung.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Computers, servers, network hardware (switches, routers, firewalls, etc) all produce shitloads of heat, and dont fry the cat5/6 or rj-45 pins.

outwest
I see your point,i was strictly going off what my brother in law said,he is an engineer with verizon 35 years and deals with everything from fiber optics on down,strictly speculation on my end but go look at a standard plastic RJ cord end and tell me if it looks like its designed to take the heat of a ballast,sure doesnt to me.
Can you explain why the 750 is so great compared to a 1000w fixture dimmed down?

Exactly what is the main difference? Please enlighten me.

One thing I know for sure is there is no need to go past 750w (or even 660w for that matter) if you have 8' ceilings.

10' ceiling minimum for 1k. I am putting in 11.5' ceiling for the 1ks I am getting, but I am going epaps this time as I can get a better deal. and with my new 3x6 beds the coverage is ideal.
Cap,this is a quote off gavitas facebook page,"The Gavita Pro 750W DE EL lamp for our Pro 6/750 DE FLEX fixture. It is a unique lamp in its class, the first 750W electronic HPS lamp to hit the 1500 micromol level. Many climate rooms do not have the height you need for 1000W lamps, or the crop is too high. A 750W lamp works much more efficient in the 600-825W range than a dimmed 1000W lamp."

All i really know is i tried the gavita 1k's in my room with 8'ceilings and it was too much and i did not like dialing it back so much,just felt it was the wrong tool for the job.Luckily my son has higher ceilings so it wasnt a loss.When i bought them no one said/knew shit about ceiling heights being an issue,In fact just the opposite gavita even did my lighting plan after i gave them all dimensions,lesson learned.Im looking at the 750's/new controllers but scared to jump right in like i did with the 1k's.I sure do like what @midwestdensies is doing with the 600's too but ive always run 1ks,the way hes yielding with them though its hard to argue against them in a setup like mine w/8' ceiling height.Luckily my place is just a hobby room so i can wait and see how it shakes out,Gavita and Wazzup have been eerily silent lately so not much input from the manufacturer.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I've read Whazzup just doesn't have the time for forums anymore, too busy promoting Gavita in the field.
I can understand that,he actually mentioned it being kind of overwhelming,Marketing wise i doubt there is any better way to reach this particular market than over the internet though,even if its just regular facebook updates.Maybe they are looking to their distributors to pick up the slack,just nice to get answers directly from the manufacturer.

seaslug

seaslug

I'm sure closing a sale to a commercial greenhouse brings a nice commission. (I don't know if whazzup does that, he was doing the trade shows last I saw.)

muir

muir

Well, the small garden store next to my property sold 10,000 400watt igrow induction units to a single installation. They sell for over a grand each. Yeah, it's a lighting salesman's wild west here in Colorado.
I'm sure closing a sale to a commercial greenhouse brings a nice commission. (I don't know if whazzup does that, he was doing the trade shows last I saw.)

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Hoping to have video done by the end of this week... e-Paps tested lower then expected and the spread on them doesn't justify it's inefficiency.

will a gavita light up the same long foot print? They have the same exact bulb do they not? Also, I'm getting epaps for 400 each..

deacon1503

deacon1503

will a gavita light up the same long foot print? They have the same exact bulb do they not? Also, I'm getting epaps for 400 each..

I think the epaps use the standard Phillips green power and the gavitas use the green power plus.

muir

muir

here's the future. Grow in Peace sold me my older (6-12 month) Gavita units for, ironically 420.

Maxspect led floodlight
wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

bought 2 gavita's and 2 e-paps to see for myself
the gavita's are 64 in apart in 1 row
the e-paps are 64 in apart in the other row
rows are 4 ft apart over the same 8 x 8 area
i have been looking and watching and staring for 6 months now

i would buy the gavita's myself

fwiw

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Same bulb... I'll save the lengthy explanation for the video. The reason people are getting these so cheap is because Dutch Supply is a nickel and dime distributor. Selling a LESS inefficient fixture for dirt cheap isn't the smartest approach to sales. Our major commercial accounts (Hundreds of lights) know the difference in the fixtures through their own extensive testing and Gavita is the fixture chosen for their facilities.

I think the epaps use the standard Phillips green power and the gavitas use the green power plus.
Same bulb. Phillips didn't want anything to do with our industry so they granted Gavita the rights to Private Label.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Same bulb... I'll save the lengthy explanation for the video. The reason people are getting these so cheap is because Dutch Supply is a nickel and dime distributor. Selling a LESS inefficient fixture for dirt cheap isn't the smartest approach to sales. Our major commercial accounts (Hundreds of lights) know the difference in the fixtures through their own extensive testing and Gavita is the fixture chosen for their facilities.

Same bulb. Phillips didn't want anything to do with our industry so they granted Gavita the rights to Private Label.

Hey can you tell me something? On the gavita 1k reflector, does the hood come off as easily as they do on the 600w fixture? As of late I have been running my gavitas with no reflector. With an 8' ceiling and a white room the plants are enjoying it. ESPECIALLY the cookies.

Also will the gavita light up a 6x4 pretty evenly or do you think 4x4 or 5x5 is more realistic?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Hey can you tell me something? On the gavita 1k reflector, does the hood come off as easily as they do on the 600w fixture? As of late I have been running my gavitas with no reflector. With an 8' ceiling and a white room the plants are enjoying it. ESPECIALLY the cookies.

Also will the gavita light up a 6x4 pretty evenly or do you think 4x4 or 5x5 is more realistic?
Reflector and bulb come off very easy, Jair needed a fixture that could be easily serviced in the Commercial AG application.

And Muir is fairly correct, the Gavita is a MUCH more square footprint but I would still say at 36-40"s you're looking at a 4x4.5 footprint (worth having plants under).

Kendo

Kendo

So I turned mine down to 850 to lower temps to 78f . The way the room is vented I can't run em full tilt and keep temps under 80f. I am impressed w/ the penetration and footprint at 5' apart.

Top Bottom