GAVITA

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

There is 1, just 1 left in stock. Once it's gone you'll have to wait a couple months..

waayne

waayne

I heard that they are sending out notices to all the distributors and sales venues that the electronic data link components are melting down. I guess it is the RJ45 cord set components or something used with the EL1 and EL2 controllers are not taking the heat associated with the ballast, the ones I have apparently don't have the newer version upgrade so I lucked out but my supplier will not sell the new ones to anybody for a bit until they get it all sorted out from the factory.
Thank's for the heads up @Texas Kid

T

toquer

ballast is at 72 degrees, cord opening is the same, hottest part of the ballast which is just above the light bulb is 96. reflector is about 102 at the hottest point on top. i can only imagine end user error to be at fault if there has been any issues.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I heard that they are sending out notices to all the distributors and sales venues that the electronic data link components are melting down. I guess it is the RJ45 cord set components or something used with the EL1 and EL2 controllers are not taking the heat associated with the ballast, the ones I have apparently don't have the newer version upgrade so I lucked out but my supplier will not sell the new ones to anybody for a bit until they get it all sorted out from the factory.
We haven't had any complaints over here...

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I've been trying to wrap my head around this idea all day... I've discussed it with several other employees and we can't understand how the low frequency that comes from the RJ cord isn't capable of this.. Do you have any further info?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Registered jack cord is low frequency and is not made for any kind of a heat application which is why you dont see it used outside.Even in your home everything is hardwired up to a phone jack.The only reason rj cord/plugs exists is because the telephone companies were deregulated and they needed an easy cheap way for dumbass consumers to plug in there own phones without needing a tech to hardwire them,so im gonna guess and say the heat generated by the BALLAST is probably warping/distorting some of the cheap plastic 4 pin plugs or female receivers gavita is using and not heat generated by the rj lines themselves.Actually ill come clean and say my brother in law who has worked for verizon for 35 years is sitting here telling me what to write,i did not even know what RJ cord stood for,lol.

Last edited:
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I'll see if I can get my hands on the notice that is supposedly floating around

muir

muir

out of my 24 of the original units, I had 1 DOA. I love them. I had been very excited to see the controllers, as I am looking to throw up another pole barn and hang 90 more once I get licensed. Its a bummer to hear of the controller failures.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Muir,Are these the E series you are talking about having 24 of ?Those are the only ones that work with the new controllers i think?If they are the E series you have to remember the only ones out are the pre release drop which is probably somewhat of a test run to shake out any issues a new product might have.Im betting if there is a problem its an easy fix,maybe a different RJ cord or female connector that can take the heat.It doesnt sound like the controller itself but the cord components.I dont think the controller itself would have any heat to it since it is super low power,That is the whole idea that makes this controller different,No high power running through it at all,its just very low power that signals the lights to turn on and off,the lights themselves are plugged into 240 directly,All just speculation on my part though.

muir

muir

no I bought these over the last year, not the controllable series. I do love them and wouldn't consider a different direction. With the the new versions and the controllers. I want 90 of the new non-dimable 1ooo watt ones if they sort the problems.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Registered jack cord is low frequency and is not made for any kind of a heat application which is why you dont see it used outside.Even in your home everything is hardwired up to a phone jack.The only reason rj cord/plugs exists is because the telephone companies were deregulated and they needed an easy cheap way for dumbass consumers to plug in there own phones without needing a tech to hardwire them,so im gonna guess and say the heat generated by the BALLAST is probably warping/distorting some of the cheap plastic 4 pin plugs or female receivers gavita is using and not heat generated by the rj lines themselves.Actually ill come clean and say my brother in law who has worked for verizon for 35 years is sitting here telling me what to write,i did not even know what RJ cord stood for,lol.

Computers, servers, network hardware (switches, routers, firewalls, etc) all produce shitloads of heat, and dont fry the cat5/6 or rj-45 pins.

outwest

T

toquer

They are rj-11/14, but yeah should be able to handle the heat. I got 4 of the new 1000w e series coming next week!! Can't wait for the 6/750's to arrive this friday!!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Can you explain why the 750 is so great compared to a 1000w fixture dimmed down?

Exactly what is the main difference? Please enlighten me.

One thing I know for sure is there is no need to go past 750w (or even 660w for that matter) if you have 8' ceilings.

10' ceiling minimum for 1k. I am putting in 11.5' ceiling for the 1ks I am getting, but I am going epaps this time as I can get a better deal. and with my new 3x6 beds the coverage is ideal.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Can you explain why the 750 is so great compared to a 1000w fixture dimmed down?

One thing I know for sure is there is no need to go past 750w (or even 660w for that matter) if you have 8' ceilings.

10' ceiling minimum for 1k. I am putting in 11.5' ceiling for the 1ks I am getting, but I am going epaps this time as I can get a better deal. and with my new 3x6 beds the coverage is ideal.
Hoping to have video done by the end of this week... e-Paps tested lower then expected and the spread on them doesn't justify it's inefficiency.

T

toquer

In theory over and/or under volting of electrical devices reduces the useful life, and output.
In financial analysis, increased maintenance cost and paying for something you don't need is a waste of money.
Multiply 50 lights by 20 locations and pennies add up. Rather rapidly too.

As for light output, heat generated, IR produced and plant reactions I can't say yet. Once they're hung I'll report back.
As for the 600SE vs the 6/750DE running at 600. Light output is the same. I'll check bulb temp tomorrow.

Top Bottom