Gdp Vs. Urkle Vs. Grape Ape... Same Plant??

• Thread starter Dankalicious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dankalicious

Dankalicious

In this video Ken Estes claims that GDP is an Afghani Indica brought to NorCal from Vietnam during the 70s. Now if your crazy uncle traveled around the country in a microbus and went to crazy concerts and music festivals passing this cut around, it is very likely that this original cut could have been hoarded in basements and closets all around the country. (If the gardener was successful in making new cuttings each year.) It is also possible that this cut was renamed multiple times and the most popular names became more well known than others.

It is local rumor that GDP, Grape Ape, & Purple Urkle are just different phenotypes of the same strain. But it is my understanding that to create phenotypes you have to either feminize some seeds with a herm cut or outcross with something else. To express recessive genetics or to mix them with other genetics. In his video he says the cut he received was crossed with a skunk and bred for 22 years by the NorCal Native Americans. I think that's what he said. Either way the Native American who received the original Afghani cut (which he said came from an American GI smuggled back overseas) could have started with a clone that made its way all around the US. Could have.

Any GDP, Grape Ape, or Urkle farmers on here?

What do you think about the Genetics? Same plant with different names or just a few different crosses all with the same original ancestor?

This is my cut. It was sold to me as "double purple doja" which it is most definitely not.
Produces some of the largest fan leaves I have ever seen and grows extremely short and bushy.
Loves heavy sun, cold temps, and lots of wind. Hates heat and humidity. I've grown this plant in 35 degree weather indoors and watched it frost over outside and not die. Some crazy shit. Tastes like purple perfume when cured. (Yes it actually tells your brain you are smelling a color) Ripe on the vine you can pick up skunk and diesel smells. Small glandular heads but very potent. Amber Trichs. Pale seeds with lots of dark black striping.

Gdp vs urkle vs grape ape same plant
Gdp vs urkle vs grape ape same plant 2
Gdp vs urkle vs grape ape same plant 3
Gdp vs urkle vs grape ape same plant 4
Gdp leaf
Gdp tray
Gdp vs urkle vs grape ape same plant 7
Gdp vs urkle vs grape ape same plant 8
Gdp vs urkle vs grape ape same plant 9
Gdp vs urkle vs grape ape same plant 10
Last edited:
zeke

zeke

That video takes away brain cells from anyone that watches it. As if it's not hokey enough with his retarded spiel the horrible content then degrades into a shameless marketing ploy for some even more retarded-ed rap cd. Fucking hilarious. Boo, horrible.

Dankalicious

Dankalicious

That video takes away brain cells from anyone that watches it. As if it's not hokey enough with his retarded spiel the horrible content then degrades into a shameless marketing ploy for some even more retarded-ed rap cd. Fucking hilarious. Boo, horrible.

He up and branded the shit out of that strain didn't he. Even decided the DBA would be "GDP". But it's not even pure GDP because he had to use something to BX it with.

Dankalicious

Dankalicious

And that big ol pile of beans. Whatcha got there?

When I first started breeding in 2011 I didn't really have any hookups on seeds or know who was safe to order from, so my buddy had this stash of viable looking beaners he had collected through the years in the best bags he bought. I figured they were herm beaners so I told him I'd grow them out for him and give him half the buds if it worked out. Only 3 hatched and all were male, the best smelling one also had the biggest arms and fastest growth so he was bred to this clone being she happened to be at the end of week 3 at the time. He ran some outside in the country and said they inherited the purple trait and tasted fruity. I tried to run a bunch outside this year and used too small of pots and they all dried out before I got back. :( So it's still kind of a mystery :)

WeirdWentPro

WeirdWentPro

They are not the same, but are related. GDP and Ape have their origins in the Urkel, and Ken Estes had nothing to do with any of them until very late in the long and at times sketchy story. Urkel (it had a lot of different names at the time, I mostly saw it as Humboldt Purple or Urkel) came on the scene in the late 90's in SoHum, right about the same time as the Mendo Purps.

99/00/01 both those strains blew up like crazy. The Bay Area just HAD to have their Grapes. It was generally accepted that they were 2 different phenos from the same batch of seeds (Urkel was short, very dense and always purple, Mendo was taller, a bit looser, much bigger, and not always purple, but very similar taste/smell and effect in both), and rumor had it at the time that they were the only 2 to succesfully germ from a stash that a Vietnam vet had brought back from Afghanistan in the late 70's (did not come from Vietnam), that his kids found when he passed and tried to sprout. That much I gathered through the grapevine (pardon the pun) at the time.

This much I know to be true: GDP is Urkel x Salmon Creek Big Bud.

Everyone loved the Urkel but it wasn't viewed as a big producer. It made small, but EXTREMELY dense buds, and vegged VERY slowly. It was a good producer if you knew to veg it 2-3x longer than your average bear, but that still made it a pain.

At the time the SCBB was the money producer in SoHum, a huge, skunky, bulletproof strain any idiot could grow and be successful with. One of the truly big producers that still had immense bag appeal. It is/was clone-only (seeds existed but were not distributed) there are/were 2 phenos, the "foxtail" and the "round top", other than that they are/were identical. I dont know its exact genetic makeup, that was played close to the vest (probably Sensi BB x unknown Humboldt Heirloom), but I know it originated from one person, and that person was the only holder of the seeds. I know he had a male that he pollinated the Urkel with, and I know that that became the (at the time) clone-only GDP, which as soon as it hit was THE must have strain of the time and place. It had all the best qualities of the Urkel, but was bigger and faster than the Mendo. Considering the immense demand for Purple in NorCal at the time, it was the one strain everyone who wanted to turn a dollar absolutely had to have. I know there was a ton of demand, from many different interested parties with deep pockets, for the GDP seed stock to be released.

I know that while this was all going on, the SCBB/GDP dude disappeared, never to be heard from again, and within a year or two from that happening, Estes started selling GDP seed and claiming it as either his own, or telling that utter BS Native American story. Estes doesnt strike me as the kind of person who would disappear anyone, so Im not trying to insinuate anything there, but I do think it's extremely likely he got it from someone who would and likely did.

The Ape is Urkel that Bret crossed with something else and bred the something else mostly out of it.

Dankalicious

Dankalicious

That all makes perfectly good sense! Thank you!

I believe I have the Urkle cut from what you described. There is definately no sativa lineage in the genetics, as it has the shortest inter-nodal spacing of any plant I have yet to see. Sometimes I WISH it had some big bud in there, to bring up the height and yield. It definitely needs veg time and lots of roots before it can produce, and like you said small but extremely dense buds. Sometimes an ounce looks like a quarter and friends don't want to be rude, but everyone puts it on the scale in disbelief that those tiny little nugs weigh as much as they do. Very potent psychedelic effects with an unavoidable nap soon to follow. Insomnia's natural cure. Unique one of a kind flavor unlike anything else I've ever smoked. Like some strange perfume with a musky grape overtone. Very floral and berry like. I've only grown it organic with rock phosphate and kelp as the PK, so the flavors I assume are authentic. Completely unique from what is sold in dispensaries and clubs. Glad to know the background on this beauty, and from the information gathered in the last few years, it seems everything you said is pretty similar to what I've learned on my own. :)

K

Kildo

These are Three different stains. The urkle is quite small and compact. The GDP has some intersection traits that set it apart. Both are full blow purple plants both lean strongly indica. The grape ape is larger than the other two and only parts of the flower go purple. Definitely different plants!

Nspecta

Nspecta

Breeder
ThePurplesSides

This was a bed full of all the different Purples I grew out side by side back around 04/05...I grew Urkle (aka The Purple), Grandaddy Purple, Grape Ape, Bridgeville Black Afghan, Nepalean Purple, Purple Nepal, Tuity Fruity Purple, Pakistani Purple Kush, among others...a lot of the 'names' were the same cuts...but Grandaddy Purple, Tuity Fruity Purple, and Grape Ape were all different. The Grape Ape was the biggest and GDP always seemed kinda 'meh' compared to Urkle. Their differences were more apparent when grown outdoors in full sun long season as that's when the plants reached their full potential.

Most all of what @WeirdWentPro says is true...or at least same I've heard over the years. There's some weirdness about the Mendo Purp's story...I've heard the same story he tells but that comes from Les (RIP) and it doesn't fit with the popular Mendo Purple cut that Jason Kings girlfriend at the time sprouted around Y2K. I'm guessing it's 2 different Mendo Purps?

Grandaddy Purple is Purple Urkle x Salmon Creek Bigbud as Weird said...and there's no fantastic backstory on Salmon Creek Bigbud's heredity...Chris (RIP/MIA) smuggled 50 Sensi Bigbud seeds back from Amsterdam the year it won the cup...nothing more, nothing less...maybe that's why that info was held close?

As for Grape Ape...I don't believe Bret had anything to do with breeding it...I was under the assumption he merely acquired the cut roundabout Mendocino?

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

View attachment 590291

This was a bed full of all the different Purples I grew out side by side back around 04/05...I grew Urkle (aka The Purple), Grandaddy Purple, Grape Ape, Bridgeville Black Afghan, Nepalean Purple, Purple Nepal, Tuity Fruity Purple, Pakistani Purple Kush, among others...a lot of the 'names' were the same cuts...but Grandaddy Purple, Tuity Fruity Purple, and Grape Ape were all different. The Grape Ape was the biggest and GDP always seemed kinda 'meh' compared to Urkle. Their differences were more apparent when grown outdoors in full sun long season as that's when the plants reached their full potential.

Most all of what @WeirdWentPro says is true...or at least same I've heard over the years. There's some weirdness about the Mendo Purp's story...I've heard the same story he tells but that comes from Les (RIP) and it doesn't fit with the popular Mendo Purple cut that Jason Kings girlfriend at the time sprouted around Y2K. I'm guessing it's 2 different Mendo Purps?

Grandaddy Purple is Purple Urkle x Salmon Creek Bigbud as Weird said...and there's no fantastic backstory on Salmon Creek Bigbud's heredity...Chris (RIP/MIA) smuggled 50 Sensi Bigbud seeds back from Amsterdam the year it won the cup...nothing more, nothing less...maybe that's why that info was held close?

As for Grape Ape...I don't believe Bret had anything to do with breeding it...I was under the assumption he merely acquired the cut roundabout Mendocino?

Regardless of the back story, Isnt that canopy of pure purple rather intoxicating. Such vibrancy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom