Germination help.........

• Thread starter Entheo Shaman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Entheo Shaman

I am having a problem germinating some seeds, was hoping someone could help me out.
I germinated 10 White Rhino seeds July 28 using the paper towel and saucer method.
About 4 days later, 9 of them cracked. I put them into soaked rockwool cubes under t-5 flourescent.Its now been 6 days since I put them into cubes, still no sign of sprouts. I got alittle antsy and cracked some of the cubes open to check on the progress. Some of the seeds had not sprouted much at all while a couple of them had, that was a couple of days ago and still no sprouts.....Am I just being overly impatient?

U

ukcheesehead

I am having a problem germinating some seeds, was hoping someone could help me out.
I germinated 10 White Rhino seeds July 28 using the paper towel and saucer method.
About 4 days later, 9 of them cracked. I put them into soaked rockwool cubes under t-5 flourescent.Its now been 6 days since I put them into cubes, still no sign of sprouts. I got alittle antsy and cracked some of the cubes open to check on the progress. Some of the seeds had not sprouted much at all while a couple of them had, that was a couple of days ago and still no sprouts.....Am I just being overly impatient?

how big was the tap root? b4 placeing in the cubes?
what seedbank are the seeds from?
has any of the seed shell fell off yet ?

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Occasionally I'll help a seed out of its shell if its stuck. Scarifying the seeds or soaking them ahead of time usually makes this unnecessary. The seed is at its most venerable point when the taproot first emerges. The cotyledons (first round leaves) will rot if stuck in the shell in a wet environment and the plant will die.

Apply VERY light pressure with your thumb and index finger on the cracks on opposite sides of the shell with the tap root facing down. It's very easy to crush the plant so be careful. I only try to open it enough to then pry the shell off. Also, the taproot should not be handled at all. It's extremely susceptible to bacteria and disease so wash up well first, even then if you touch it it may well croak.

Once you get the shell off, make note of the membrane that binds the cotyledons as many times this is the reason the plant wasn't able to open the shell in the first place. Sometimes it's necessary to remove it. Be even more careful if you attempt this as the plant tissue is so soft it will rip with the slightest provocation.

I'll only do this with limited seed stock coming from auctions or BINs. Hey you only get 10 or 15 seeds and the all need to show up to the selection party. ;)

Good luck

F

FastForward

I've just gotten over the germination learning curve. To cut a long story short (involving some very nice beans being killed):

- I now germ in coco. If they're gonna germ, they'll germ in coco (imho)
- Cracking, or transplanting from kitchen roll, is a potentially life threatening event to a tiny taproot, so going straight to medium saves that risk (dropping one, touching the root itself....can kill...as can intense light)
- Coco seems to be ideal for keeping air and water/moisture on the seed, and then a lovely environment to root into

I've tried vertical and horizontal germination, warm and room temp (heated prop and no prop), under lights and not under lights. What works for me is:

- 3" pot/dixie cup, 100% coco
- presoak coco with 5ml/l formulex, rhizo or whatever your fave baby food is
- make 3mm deep hole with chopstick
- drop in seed (any way will do)
- cover hole
- give light spritz with baby juice
- put in heated and covered prop
- wait 24-72 hours
- when the seed pops its head, or you can see movement -> move under prop light
- done :)

Zoolander said it in another thread - about mother nature not getting technical with tissue paper and cracking. For me the key was not transferring them between tissue paper and pot.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't have experience in coco but you have to make the most of the limited beans you get. If they are not germing more extreme measures must be taken unless you can afford unlimited beans. Paper towels have offered the best results by far for me. It's def a delicate procedure but offers better germ rates with more control over the process and easier access if help is needed.

Everyone has learned a different way, that's all. :)

E

Entheo Shaman

I got the seeds from Dope-seeds.com.
The taproots were still pretty short when I placed them in the rockwool, some were just coming out.
I found some stuff called Golden Humic Extract. It came highly recommended by a couple of people. I am giving that a try. It is supposed to speed the germination process.

T

the Rock

dope seeds .com??? are these guys reputable (never heard of them)

F

FastForward

Personally I don't like ordering seeds online....it's just too blatant. Bring back from Dam, or go in person with cash....it's one thing buying hydro gear online, but seeds...that to me is just a bit too far... sorry to get off topic...

E

Entheo Shaman

Dope-seeds.com is based in UK. I have successfully ordered from them. I know of others who have also ordered from them and received product. One or two have lost orders in the U.S. due to customs.

C

cell

And you ordered these to the states?

I've been looking for a somewhat reliable source.

N

nog

i just put them in damp seed compost,on a warm shelf under flourescent tube and they usually show after 3 - 4 days. i dont like domes or covering with polythene, you dont need too much moisture it can encourage damping off, moulds etc.

meangreenmartian

meangreenmartian

i always just do the soma way and throw a few in distilled water till next day when good ones sink. Then just transfer into organic soil. Opened side down of course into the soil.

meangreenmartian

meangreenmartian

I have heard that paper towel method does damage to the very critical beginning root of the plant. Water is just that much easier and I have yet to have a problem

Latest posts

Top Bottom