Got some questions about Colorado

• Thread starter organicozarks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
organicozarks

organicozarks

Firstly, I am moving up there in November. I am not going to buy a house right away as I want to figure out the City first. The being said, do people grow in rent houses/condos/town homes/ etc.? What are the dangers of this?

I have grown in a rent house years ago, and it was stressful as hell. This was in a non-med/recreational State.

Secondly, I am looking for a warehouse in the denver/lakewood area for our business. It will not be for growing, however it would be nice if I could put a small room in there. Most of the warehouses I am seeing are saying no mmj. Mine would be a small personal grow, and not for a business.

Does anyone have any resources(websites, brokers, agents) for warehouses other than craigslist, and Google?

If you have first hand knowledge of warehouse space that would be great.

Thanks for the help!!!

organicozarks

organicozarks

Looking for warehouse space of 1,500 sq foot or a little less) with a couple of offices, bathroom and a show room.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

yo yo! Awesome to hear you're moving out here man!

Out of all the home growers I know, about half own and half rent. Of the renters, it's mostly "don't ask don't tell" or they have permission. I know it can def be difficult to find rent houses in the city to set up in but it's definitely very possible. If there's a will there's always a way :)

as far as a personal op in a warehouse, I don't see that flying at all. Growing in a commercial space without the license is still federally illegal and like you said, most warehouse owners are not cool with it. In fact I'm pretty sure most disps who are building new warehouses for legalization are all leasing to own since most landlords who are ok with it are locked in.

sky high

sky high

Might be a good idea to simply be upfront about your intent with the property >owner<....wherever you plan to grow. (and I would not take the word of a broker who is looking to seal a deal on a matter such as this)

The reason for this is that the same law (64) that gives the personal right to grow also give EVERY property owner in the state the legal right to specifically forbid >>any<< marijuana use/marijuana growing on their property. You can take the chance if you want...and many do, but if you aren't open about it and they find out they can, at minimum, legally boot your ass in 3 days without any recourse whatsoever on your part. No deposit refunds...no nothin.

I'm also pretty sure the right to grow is a >residential< right. If you aren't living there legally, you aren't growing there legally.

good luck

organicozarks

organicozarks

I am being completely upfront about the growing as it is for my business. Without getting into details I will need a grow room as part of my business. I will not be growing to sell, or for anything like that. I just actually need the plants themselves as test subjects. That's all. Nothing fancy, and nothing big. I would not try to hide this as it would effect my legal businesses. I am thinking that I will be bale to find someone that will see the connection, and how important it is.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Our family has a business buying, fixing, and selling foreclosed properties. We've renovated about 25 homes in Aurora (East of 225/Parker, Quincy to the south, Iliff to the north, and east to E470.

So far, we've found 4 obvious grows and 1 likely. One of the houses was trashed and their basement grow room was disgusting, but it made a nice laundry room. Haven't had any mold or other issues, thankfully.

I think if you find the *right* realtor they can find you a property. It's pretty difficult to find a place that allows you to grow. Apartments don't allow cultivation, and my apartments don't even allow marijuana of any kind.

I would look for someone younger who needs the business (realtor). I've found that the older folks are, the more skeptical they are. It's all about the realtor and finding the right one. imo.

soserthc1

soserthc1

if your moving there to grow without fear which would be my choice , I wouldn't def find a spot that was ok with it as you will find your self in the same situation your in ( and i just had - bought a new home after renting and thou i was never late once with rent) Landlord must of found a leaf in the pluming and was enough to keep my security deposit - and to create enough fear to make me shut down in new home.... so after owning homes since i was 17 three years of renting in between has taking the excitement out of finally getting my own home back as i now need to move to legal state , which with kids aint that easy......

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

I am being completely upfront about the growing as it is for my business. Without getting into details I will need a grow room as part of my business. I will not be growing to sell, or for anything like that. I just actually need the plants themselves as test subjects.

No offense, but I'd double check your business plan. What may work and be the bees knees where you are from might not sell here.
About half of the grow stores have closed down since '09.
The more it resembles farming, the less willing people are to pay for fancy overpriced shovels.

Probably want to pickup a card for your medical grow in the warehouse, as unless you live there, AM 64 doesn't protect you. So, another $100 there.

Might want to talk to a lawyer about having live personal plants, in a commercial public setting. As funny as it sounds, a call to the DA for their stance may be in order before opening shop. But if you have a showroom, showing off your plants and your 'whatever' that made them so, that will be very public and when you are public, you are more likely to talk to them.

If your selling equipment, it's easier just to use other plants in the system for the show and tell.

organicozarks

organicozarks

No offense, but I'd double check your business plan. What may work and be the bees knees where you are from might not sell here.
About half of the grow stores have closed down since '09.
The more it resembles farming, the less willing people are to pay for fancy overpriced shovels.

Probably want to pickup a card for your medical grow in the warehouse, as unless you live there, AM 64 doesn't protect you. So, another $100 there.

Might want to talk to a lawyer about having live personal plants, in a commercial public setting. As funny as it sounds, a call to the DA for their stance may be in order before opening shop. But if you have a showroom, showing off your plants and your 'whatever' that made them so, that will be very public and when you are public, you are more likely to talk to them.

If your selling equipment, it's easier just to use other plants in the system for the show and tell.

No offense taken. The showroom is for another business that we have had for 10 years. Not for live pot plants. No one would ever see the live pot plants but me, and possibly some close customers. They would just be for testing purposes. What we have been doing for 10 years will indeed work there. I understand without the full story you guys have to piece together what I am doing, but if I did tell you the full story then it would be obvious who I was. Our businesses have a very prominent web presence, so anything we get from the local economy would just be gravy.

P.S. I am anti hydro stores.

P.S.S. What we do where we are is actually not the bees knees. We actually make 0 money locally. Let me repeat that. We make ZERO money locally. So use moving up there, and getting no business would not change things one bit. Again if we do get business then it is just gravy.

P.S.S.S. We planned on getting medical cards regardless of our situation there.

Thanks for the concerns. They are appreciated.

organicozarks

organicozarks

Just to let people know there are indeed landlords in Denver that have no problem renting to people that want to grow. For people looking I would suggest to look around at space where there are already grows.

organicozarks

organicozarks

We have secured a warehouse, and are suppose to hear back about a place to live this week. We are not going to be growing in the warehouse. We did find many people willing to rent to us if we grew, but we have shifted gears a bit, and will just use "testers" that have medical grows already set up.It will be the "safer" thing to do.

I was actually surprised at how many people will allow you to grow in their warehouses.

We also bumped the date up, and will be there in about a month.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Well, let me give you an early "Welcome to Colorado!".

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

I was actually surprised at how many people will allow you to grow in their warehouses.

When consumer spending is down, there isn't a whole lot else to pay rent on these warehouses. Denver is a destination city for goods, not a point of origin (in aggregate). Also competition, if everyone else is doing it?
Weed grows saved the commercial real estate market here (and probably the residential too, imagine if that grow house on everyblock were instead foreclosed and abandoned, a la Detroit).
Financial crisis 2008?
Colorado grows weed 2009!

sky high

sky high

I hope you secured these rentals with a deposit. Reports last night were saying that there were very few rentals available before this flood....and now that 20,000 homes are unlivable, rentals are in high demand....prices will go up....and availability won't be what it was last week.

The focus here for a lot of folks definitely isn't gonna be on weed. Wow.

Wot a mess......

ogbluntdoc

ogbluntdoc

... do people grow in rent houses/condos/town homes/ etc.? What are the dangers of this?...

just yesterday a coworker of mine was telling me maintenance went into his apartment (idk why) and they discovered his grow. They went and reported it to management, and they did a plant count. It was within legal limits, so they let him continue with his grow. no med card. Although the apartment complexes say they don't allow it, i think they really don't give a crap unless your grow is causing harm to there property or the people who live there. Which they noticed his grow was not. It had a secured lock on the door and was clean with no damage to the apartment.

I found this to be an encouraging reminder. We don't need to worry as much as we used to. We need to be aware, but worry no. People that don't smoke or use cannabis are understanding and becoming used to the language, smell, and use of marijuana out in the public's eye. I don't drink alcohol but that doesn't mean i can't stand the site of a bottle of liquor or someone drunk of off it. Or with cigarettes i hate the smell of cigarettes on someone. but as a society we have learned to accept it whether we smoke them or not. Just like we will with Cannabis. To each his own.

organicozarks

organicozarks

Of course I put down a deposit, and payed the first months rent. I also have a signed lease.

ogbluntdoc, That is very interesting. I hope to hear more and more of these stories.

sky high

sky high

We don't need to worry as much as we used to. We need to be aware, but worry no.

This is exactly how we have treated being "medical" for the last...wow...10 years now. (goin in for my 10th renewal in a few weeks) It's all "legal", but you still don't flaunt it/let your employer know/speak of it casually/etc. because, as we all know, "legality" has it's downfalls as well as it's perks.

be safe, all

Top Bottom