• Start date
  • Tagged users None
lino

lino

Meet FireLung Bud., Add a little spice to the exhale. JalapenoBis

DSC02704

lino

lino

Sorry I'll quit hijacking this thread,,, i get all giddy and warm inside when ya talk bout grafting.... Just got done radiating some plants the other day so I do all kinds of crazy experiments trying to replicate some g13 experiments from years ago....

Coir

Coir

Sorry I'll quit hijacking this thread,,, i get all giddy and warm inside when ya talk bout grafting.... Just got done radiating some plants the other day so I do all kinds of crazy experiments trying to replicate some g13 experiments from years ago....
No problem. I love seeing new things! What is it you are injecting them with? Do the scions act normal after you graft? Have you tried using cannabis as both scion and rootstock?

lino

lino

Its my own recipe but I make a "glue" and add a agar high in hormone Auxin and breakdown a seaweed extract and glue ESPECIALLY for complete root/scion graft. With cannabis I will use very aggressive male many times for rootstock and have tried many other combos also. The last few year I have been grafting multible root stock systems into one plant and one rootstock plant into many strains for many reasons. I soak with callus and enzymes of the plant I hope to have the rare DNA cross over.... so many reasons for grafts a book could be written.

neverbreak

neverbreak

@coir, impressive work bud, have ya tried any other graftin methods other than flat graftin? thinkin wedge graftin might work well for tomatoes.

@lino, can u explain what yer tryin to do there? as i understand, ya can only graft within the same family.

neverbreak

Coir

Coir

I plan on trying wedge grafting next year. Even with the silicone clips, I think it will go better. Although, it is a bit more time consuming with the extra cuts.

Thoth

Thoth

Wow nice job bro. I hear grafting is pretty difficult to get right. Does this allow the tomatoes to live longer or are you only doing it to increase yield?

Have you sat down to do the math whether the increased yield outweigh the investment in time spent grafting?

Coir

Coir

Wow nice job bro. I hear grafting is pretty difficult to get right. Does this allow the tomatoes to live longer or are you only doing it to increase yield?

Have you sat down to do the math whether the increased yield outweigh the investment in time spent grafting?

Trying to increase yield and vigor on heirloom tomatoes. Disease resistance is another benefit but that hasn't really been a problem for me. I grow my tomato plants for 10-11 months so keeping the yield up and consistent is really important. The heirloom tomatoes tend to run out of gas after 4-5 months where the greenhouse hybrids produce a lot better. Hoping for the best of both worlds with this experiment. I planted out both grafted and non grafted of the same variety next to each other so I can see if it's worth the effort and expense. I will know in November!

Coir

Coir

Been following this and doing some research on grafting..... I have to ask does this really increase yields?
So far, all the data I have implies 25-50% increase. I'm sure some of that takes into account loss from disease on ungrafted plants but the reason I finally tried it is due to all the positive info out there. I will post my results once things are apparent.

lino

lino

Coir, at school many students became very fond of grafting with "Colossus". I went thru the schools seed bank and sure as shit we have "Estamino". I went thru research papers and I have no data on Estamino. questions.
For the purpose of success and ease of grafting do you have a preferred variety? Colossus vs Estamino, which do you have the most success in the root/scion grafts?

Never Break, cannabis is in a very small family, Cannabaceae the simplicity of this family contain Hops and Cannabis and I could be incorrect but that the only 2 Genus in that Family, how simple is that? And then up the ladder is the "Order" . Order contains
Family Cannabaceae hemp-Cecropiaceae Cecropia Family, Mullberry Family, Elm Family, Nettle Family.
Class Dicotyledons and Subclass is where the ability to graft outside the test tube stops.

What I'm saying is mother nature fools us and we find odd grafts in nature and man made. But I have never seen Dicots grafted to Monocots, aint happening , xylem phloem ,sorry spell but that shit is off. Amazing but some cactus will graft also. Monocots - grass, bamboo, maize, corn.
TomTato_TMHF-30_2682289b.jpg

Tom Potato

lino

lino

@lino, can u explain what yer tryin to do there? as i understand, ya can only graft within the same family.
Plants in those pics had many hours of study/research, there were many reasons and experiments going on , not just to see "can I graft this to that". I get to see many experiments at school and many student are intrigued with grafting, especially in Hort 101 and choose grafting as their class project . In hort 101 I chose Embryo Rescue as my research and experimental design,,, my professor put up many road block to try and stop me from my experimental design in E Rescue. Meanwhile at nite my cannabis crop had secret concoctions from other students experiments going on from skool experiments, so snook home for all kinds of wacky experiments to perform on cannabis and I performed my main goal of a seed E rescue on a cannabis seed at Home, not easy.

Hormones are in the glue, I didnt post any graft glue pics yet, but shown in one of the pics is a hormone and graft/girdle technique. I have produce "bolting" (a term used in Hort to induce extreme elongations,, this can refer to cell or even meristem , stem, elongation). Cannabis has the ability to store massive amounts carbohydrates, sugars in the roots. girdling can also increase brix count (sweetness if done properly) . I dont NOT use girdling for that purpose as more stress usually hurts the bud than helps the plant most of the time. However, when mastered girdling/ and grafting methods can be used to produce cannabis bolting (stem elongation) incredible procedure for cloning! Its well worth the effort. But like I said, I had many experiments going on at the same time at home and skool and read every students experimental design paper also.

Einstein worked in patent office. I wonder how many experiments he took home with him? lol, makes ya wonder.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Plants in those pics had many hours of study/research, there were many reasons and experiments going on , not just to see "can I graft this to that". I get to see many experiments at school and many student are intrigued with grafting, especially in Hort 101 and choose grafting as their class project . In hort 101 I chose Embryo Rescue as my research and experimental design,,, my professor put up many road block to try and stop me from my experimental design in E Rescue. Meanwhile at nite my cannabis crop had secret concoctions from other students experiments going on from skool experiments, so snook home for all kinds of wacky experiments to perform on cannabis and I performed my main goal of a seed E rescue on a cannabis seed at Home, not easy.

Hormones are in the glue, I didnt post any graft glue pics yet, but shown in one of the pics is a hormone and graft/girdle technique. I have produce "bolting" (a term used in Hort to induce extreme elongations,, this can refer to cell or even meristem , stem, elongation). Cannabis has the ability to store massive amounts carbohydrates, sugars in the roots. girdling can also increase brix count (sweetness if done properly) . I dont NOT use girdling for that purpose as more stress usually hurts the bud than helps the plant most of the time. However, when mastered girdling/ and grafting methods can be used to produce cannabis bolting (stem elongation) incredible procedure for cloning! Its well worth the effort. But like I said, I had many experiments going on at the same time at home and skool and read every students experimental design paper also.

Einstein worked in patent office. I wonder how many experiments he took home with him? lol, makes ya wonder.

This is awesome stuff bro. I love pushing the limits and creative aspect of growing. I tried freezing a new cut recently to see if I could preserve the strain without seeds.. failed, but fun to experiment..

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Could you try grafting Peppermint and Skunk Bud? Possibly have a menthol final bud? Or does it not quite work that way?

800px Mint leaves 2007

germinator

germinator

Lino thats cool stuff dude....can ya whip me up a high CBD pineapple and a high THC mango please. Cool stuff thanks for sharing. Great thread !

lino

lino

Odd you ask? I'll provide more detail bout my latest usage of peppermint. Experiment is my best answer but there is a positive and a negative to encounter also. in the next post. When you talk about lets say cross over Flavor, let me start with myth and then go into data. 99.9% of all growers students swear that they can taste flavors from the other grafted plant. So the students I have mentor'd get the old blind fold test. Actually you should scope before you consume. Grafting out of genus can be dangerous in consumption in rare occurrences if not tested on animals first!
Myth most of the time the taste transfer not of DNA . Cannabis has a Very high exchange rate air/soil. In blind test , many times people would taste the jalapeno but one time I got tomato-canna- noids on are TomatoBis plant. I didnt even scope the plant till a student brought it to my attention.

For centuries, farmers have been genetically modifying their plants without even knowing it. That’s the message from German scientists who found that grafting, a common technique used to fuse parts of two plants together, causes the two halves to swap genes with each other.

Grafting can involve fusing the stem of one plant (the scion) to the roots of another (the stock), or a dormant bud to another stem. There are many reasons for this – sometimes it’s the most cost-effective way of cultivating the scion, sometimes the stock has properties that the scion lacks including hardiness or sturdiness. The vessels of the two halves eventually merge but people have long believed that they keep their genetic material to themselves. It turns out they were wrong. i can post tons more of students writing on this but I'm going to try and get back to TOMATO subject

Lemon Mint graft - So now that we have Blood Brothers AND on rare occurrences we can assume that we are the first human to put a characteristic of, lets say a flavinoid of lemonene in our New Cannabis SPECIES, and Strongly in the DNA to be transferred to all other plants of the same SPECIES ( cannabis ) Bam , legalGrow your the 1st to think of it.... WRONG in my opinion... but I have also thought as you do in your question quote:
"Could you try grafting Peppermint and Skunk Bud? Possibly have a menthol final bud? Or does it not quite work that way?"
YES and NO, with no knowledge you can get any cross and mother nature does not cooperate very often. So there are ways to TRY and force your DNA but that gets complex . Why do I say WRONG about you being the 1st to think of that? I quess we have been grafting cannabis long before the Egyptian and this is why the complex flavors and characters exist in cannabis. This is what we have done to dogs also. We breed for our pleasures like friendly, taste, smell on and on. Professors and scientist alway down talk the cannabis plant by telling me its not a Perfect Flower plant on the evolution tree and I say, and I strongly feel, that cannabis, like all smart plants evolves based on needs. Since the beginning of man Cannabis Pollination system has had no need to evolve due to man . We are the best pollinator of cannabis. I bet we kick bee's ass's on cannabis pollination, maybe...

So to answer your question LegalGrow >. YES, you could do exactly what you asked about with grafting for taste.
TomatoBis

the student cut the root stock to the cannabis plant at bout 17 day which will almost always kill the cannabis but the dam plant hung on for mths. She cut off all the leaf material and the dam thing shot a little cannabis shoot that never grew and eventually died . but the tom had the funkiest tasting tomato's and smell skunkTomato when crushed. Some people said they got nauses after eating these little sickly Tomato's from TomatoBis.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom