Grafting Heirloom Tomatoes

• Thread starter Coir
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LegalGrow

LegalGrow

So to simplify - in the case of crossing strains, easier to cross pollinate than to graft.

Now if we could only take a tree just harvested bud and graft a new flowering plant to it... then have those huge harvests without the time every cycle... hmmm...??

Coir

Coir

Coir, at school many students became very fond of grafting with "Colossus". I went thru the schools seed bank and sure as shit we have "Estamino". I went thru research papers and I have no data on Estamino. questions.
For the purpose of success and ease of grafting do you have a preferred variety? Colossus vs Estamino, which do you have the most success in the root/scion grafts?

Never Break, cannabis is in a very small family, Cannabaceae the simplicity of this family contain Hops and Cannabis and I could be incorrect but that the only 2 Genus in that Family, how simple is that? And then up the ladder is the "Order" . Order contains
Family Cannabaceae hemp-Cecropiaceae Cecropia Family, Mullberry Family, Elm Family, Nettle Family.
Class Dicotyledons and Subclass is where the ability to graft outside the test tube stops.

What I'm saying is mother nature fools us and we find odd grafts in nature and man made. But I have never seen Dicots grafted to Monocots, aint happening , xylem phloem ,sorry spell but that shit is off. Amazing but some cactus will graft also. Monocots - grass, bamboo, maize, corn.
TomTato_TMHF-30_2682289b.jpg

Tom Potato

Colossus germinated faster than Estamino and was ready about a week earlier. One of the tricks with grafting from seedlings is getting the planting dates correct so that you can match up stem sizes easily. I learned a lot this year about different rootstock timing as well as scion timing. As far as vigor goes, I won't really know until later in the year but Colossus is supposed to be more vigorous while Estamino should be more generative so using Estamino on plants that tend to be too vegetative early on should be a good match while Colossus would work better on less vigorous varieties that tend to run out of energy early in the season. We shall see....

lino

lino

my latest experiment I'm very proud of is simple what it has done for my crop is amazing, You mentioned Peppermint. In the photo are some of the herbs I'm surrounding plants with many types of herbs. My patients look at my bong like a loaded gun,,,, wtf is this organic Lino?,,, I not one of you fucking guinea pigs !

My bench mark is 4 lips smacks and if I can get a puzzled look my experiment it was a success. Be careful putting Rosemary plant to close and to abundant there so fragrant that it will consume the flavor of your bud , Not good,,,, but this keep bugs down,,,, until bring one in with gnats which I did so I'll harvest some current buds and spray micro bug these gnat I brought in here,,, crap. But other than that error the herbs had Great bug defenses this crop.

DSC03017
lino

lino

Coir, have you worked with bigger Toms plants , grafts?.... I've seen Toms do incredible grafts when in cloning machines also. I've seen Tom's root in just a few days in clone machines and there is a stage of cloning where some Tom's really respond well to grafts , especially with bigger Tom plants. Some cultivars will throw roots everywhere in cloning machines... Just food for thought...

Coir

Coir

Coir, have you worked with bigger Toms plants , grafts?.... I've seen Toms do incredible grafts when in cloning machines also. I've seen Tom's root in just a few days in clone machines and there is a stage of cloning where some Tom's really respond well to grafts , especially with bigger Tom plants. Some cultivars will throw roots everywhere in cloning machines... Just food for thought...

You can root a tomato stem by just sticking it in water. They are one of if not the easiest plant to "clone". The problem with that though is you end up with a very small plant that wants to fruit immediately and it does not yet have the root system to support much of a fruit load. You can improve yield by removing all the flowers for 4-6 weeks after rooting to build a substantial root system that will then give you a decent plant. The problem with that then becomes you could have simply started from seed and not have to worry about carrying over bugs or disease into the new crop.

Coir

Coir

Now THAT is what I call efficient farming! Why isn't this the norm?

Someone gave me one of those plants along time ago. Unfortunately, it's really just a novelty as it will not produce the same amount or quality of either of the plants on it's own.
Just because it can be done, does not always mean it will be better!

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Grafting projects are so much fun.
*lookin good*

So, have you tried working with willow extract... (Asprin, basically, to those who wonder) or cinnamon to boost stronger rooting in new plants?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So..! I just finished reading an article about fruit tree grafting in Acres, and what's at the end of the article but another piece about research being done via a cat in Ohio on tomato grafting for organic production, requesting that any growers who are trying this technique please report to them regarding rootstocks and scions, success rates, etc. Very, very interesting, the timing of it all.

Coir

Coir

So..! I just finished reading an article about fruit tree grafting in Acres, and what's at the end of the article but another piece about research being done via a cat in Ohio on tomato grafting for organic production, requesting that any growers who are trying this technique please report to them regarding rootstocks and scions, success rates, etc. Very, very interesting, the timing of it all.
I will get some pictures later this week of the grafted plants. They are doing well and getting their first flowers open. Although about a month behind the non grafted ones, they seem to be catching up quickly. Definitely going to be interesting to see how this experiment turns out.

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

If you want to try something a little more interesting graft a cannabis plant onto a hops plant, strain of your choice they all work but i have found japanese hops to be the most excepting of the process and the german variety to be a close second :D

Coir

Coir

I have always wondered what happens when you do that. Do you see any difference in growth rate or changes to the cannabis?

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

I have always wondered what happens when you do that. Do you see any difference in growth rate or changes to the cannabis?
There does seem to be a little more vigor expressed in the cannabis plant but other then that not much change in either plant they all exhibit there same characteristics as before grafting. One other positive it does a dam good job of camouflaging the cannabis from prying eyes they just totally blend in:D

Coir

Coir

There does seem to be a little more vigor expressed in the cannabis plant but other then that not much change in either plant they all exhibit there same characteristics as before grafting. One other positive it does a dam good job of camouflaging the cannabis from prying eyes they just totally blend in:D
With the speed that hops grow, I wondered if it would increase the vigor of the scion. Although it would seem that you would need to use a scion from seed for outdoor growing if you wanted any size from the plant.

Coir

Coir

An update for anyone interested.... The grafting has definitely slowed things down. I would normally be at about full production right now but am only finding the first few tomatoes ripening this week. Oh well, another learning experience to go by for next year. Hopefully the added vigor will make up for it in the coming weeks. The plants all look really nice and are loading up very well considering the record rainfall we had all last month. More sun sure would be nice! Here are a few pictures from today. You can see how well the graft unions healed. Really hard to even tell at this point. I have been having to pick English cukes every other day for the last few weeks and the lettuce a couple of times a week. Basil is almost ready now as well.

87Q3999
 87Q4000
 87Q4004
 87Q4005
 87Q4012
 87Q4014
 87Q4018
 87Q4019
 87Q4028
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh! Sorry about that drool, I'll go get a clean rag.

Coir

Coir

Crazy amounts of English cucumbers this week. 137 picked today alone and I usually only pick 150-180 a week picking three different times. Might set a new record this week!
The heirloom tomatoes are coming on strong as well. Going to be the largest picking of the season so far this week. Should have plenty for all the stores and the farm market.

87Q4059
 87Q4069
 87Q4064
 87Q4065
Coir

Coir

Picked 25 more cases of tomatoes yesterday and need to pick cukes again today. The rain is back which will slow things down a little but supposed to be back near 80 next week! Should be getting to close to full production in the next few weeks. Still have lots of plants that I have not picked from yet so the numbers will keep increasing. Even though the grafted plants are a bit behind the non grafted, they look to be catching up quickly and if they keep loading up the way they are now, they should surpass them in yield soon. Lots of tomato slads and pico de gallo in my future.

growchick421

growchick421

Reading this makes me want my Gh so bad, but it's still too cold :(.

Ur veggies look amazing! I love the heirlooms as well. :rolleyes:
Grafting is not a necessary process in growing heirlooms, correct?? Sprouting seeds is still the common way still, right?? :sorry:
I should stop reading these when I'm tired...:wacky:

Top Bottom