Grafting Heirloom Tomatoes

• Thread starter Coir
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Supercharge

Supercharge

That is a mighty well maintained GH you run bro. Very nice indeed. Your greenthumb clearing extends well beyond growing cannabis. Not a flaw to be seen on any of those plants. Who do you sell to?

Coir

Coir

Thanks Supercharge. I have been selling everything I produce to Chuck's Produce, Mingo restaurant, La Bottega and Charlies restaurants, and at the Vancouver Farmers Market. I have left the market for good though as it is dying a slow, painful death and it's just not profitable anymore. Kind of sad since I was a vendor there for the last 22 years.

Coir

Coir

It's just the Vancouver Farmers Market that I am not going back to. Unfortunately, the management has decided that drawing a 60K/yr salary and not having to do anything is better than actually having to work. They are just going to milk it until it collapses into bankruptcy at this point. I talked with the executive director(why there even needs to be one I have no idea) and he's not willing to listen to or make the needed changes. Same with the so called "market master". She's even worse to deal with than the exec director and neither one does what they are paid for. Most of the so called "farmers" down there do not grow anything they sell. There are many that have the exact same produce from the same wholesaler on their tables still in the boxes with the farm name on it and they pretend they grew it. You can find the same boxes and produce at Safeway and Fred Meyer for a lot less money and the intelligent customers have figured that out. There are rules against buying from a wholesaler but the powers that be refuse to enforce them or even question the vendors violating them. The booth that was next to mine for the last 10 years is supposedly an Oregon based farm but everything they have out says Washington, Idaho, or California on the box and they don't even bother to take the stickers off of some of it. Can't really have Walla Walla onions if your farm is in Oregon but the bags and stickers say "Walla Walla Sweets Grown in Walla Walla Washington" right on them yet the vendor says he grows them in Cornelius Oregon. And it only gets worse as you walk through the place and see what others have and claim to grow.

Supercharge

Supercharge

Ah that's a messed up situation. Not even a legitimate farmer's market! I can see why you're not interested in going back and why it's dying. In some ways, you can't blame management for doing what they're doing - why work harder than you have to? But at the same time, if they're greed is killing it for everyone else, then there's really no excuse.

canadaseed

canadaseed

what's up man.. hey was just wondering something.. referring to cannabis: could i graft a topped female onto rootstock and use that as a mom? And also does the rootstock need to be female aswell..

Coir

Coir

what's up man.. hey was just wondering something.. referring to cannabis: could i graft a topped female onto rootstock and use that as a mom? And also does the rootstock need to be female aswell..

I have no idea since I have never tried it before but I would say give it a try and report back here. I really don't see the point unless it could be proven that you gain something by adding a different root stock to a scion.

canadaseed

canadaseed

okay, i will try it.. the reason is because i have a plant i'd like to mom but she's already starting to flower. i'm caught between finishing her, mothering her and waitng for cuttings.. and dont really wanna do that cause of time restrictions. also just for the learning experience too,

lino

lino

I have found grafting cannabis plants takes more effort and time as compared to some other plants. Common grafting techniques dont have a high success rate with cannabis. And Yes, you can graft all 3 cannabis genders. You can also graft transgenic cannabis to other plant species and or become transgenic and or transgender on rare occasions, less than 5% (and combined with low graft success rates). The 1st pics on this thread of a scion to rootstock tomato graft is very hard to do with cannabis seedlings and you may not know the sex of the seedlings or clones. So male to female grafts take many extra weeks sexing the plants.
I saw a old tired mother cannabis plant, bubba kush not looking very healthy. We grafted a cutting of her onto a Young strong male. Then we removed all the male limbs once the graft took. Bubba Pre 98 had vigor again.

lino

lino

Question @Coir - determinate an indeterminate cultivars of tomato ,
Will a indeterminate rootstock with a determinate scion continue to produce tom's any longer , longer life span ? Do you have any idea.?

Nice produce! Is the Vancouver Farmer Market crap going to have much of a impact on your vegetable biz? Maybe a row of Vancouver Skunk bud in that green house would boost profits...

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

It's just the Vancouver Farmers Market that I am not going back to. Unfortunately, the management has decided that drawing a 60K/yr salary and not having to do anything is better than actually having to work. They are just going to milk it until it collapses into bankruptcy at this point. I talked with the executive director(why there even needs to be one I have no idea) and he's not willing to listen to or make the needed changes. Same with the so called "market master". She's even worse to deal with than the exec director and neither one does what they are paid for. Most of the so called "farmers" down there do not grow anything they sell. There are many that have the exact same produce from the same wholesaler on their tables still in the boxes with the farm name on it and they pretend they grew it. You can find the same boxes and produce at Safeway and Fred Meyer for a lot less money and the intelligent customers have figured that out. There are rules against buying from a wholesaler but the powers that be refuse to enforce them or even question the vendors violating them. The booth that was next to mine for the last 10 years is supposedly an Oregon based farm but everything they have out says Washington, Idaho, or California on the box and they don't even bother to take the stickers off of some of it. Can't really have Walla Walla onions if your farm is in Oregon but the bags and stickers say "Walla Walla Sweets Grown in Walla Walla Washington" right on them yet the vendor says he grows them in Cornelius Oregon. And it only gets worse as you walk through the place and see what others have and claim to grow.

Well please do come to Vermont then! we have year round farmers markets and could find planty of eager motuhs for those veggies you produce! If you ever need a laborer lol let me know!

Coir

Coir

Question @Coir - determinate an indeterminate cultivars of tomato ,
Will a indeterminate rootstock with a determinate scion continue to produce tom's any longer , longer life span ? Do you have any idea.?

From what I have learned so far, a determinate scion will remain determinate and in fact, might not graft to an indeterminate scion. Some testing would be needed but again, it really doesn't make sense to do that. Grafting increases disease resistance which is more important in long cultivation cycles like we have in the greenhouse(10-11 months). Determinate varieties in the greenhouse just don't make sense for commercial production.

Nice produce! Is the Vancouver Farmer Market crap going to have much of a impact on your vegetable biz? Maybe a row of Vancouver Skunk bud in that green house would boost profits...

Thanks! Honestly it does not. I have customers(stores and restaurants) that will buy everything I grow. I do get less $/lb from them but it also frees up an entire day a week for me so it all works out.

Coir

Coir

Well please do come to Vermont then! we have year round farmers markets and could find planty of eager motuhs for those veggies you produce! If you ever need a laborer lol let me know!

I love Vermont. I taught a photography workshop there about 3 years ago and it was one of the nicest places I have ever been. Such friendly people! We stopped along a highway one morning to shoot someone's barn they had decorated for Halloween. The owner came out to see what our crazy group was doing and was so excited we liked her decorations, she ran back into her house and returned with hot coffee and fresh chocolate chip cookies(still warm from the oven!) for all of us. One of the many great moments while we were there.

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

now that's the type of Vermonter I wanna hear about! the kind I grew up with! Thank goodness you ran into a local instead of a transplant...they still have yet to figure out our friendly ways when they move here from mass, new York conn areas

Latest posts

Top Bottom