Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary Chicago 3 Night Run

• Thread starter pRiMo303
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
No was not there, and will never forget how I danced and shook my bones at many many shows starting in 1970, probally way before most of you were born, way before tickets sold for 250 bucks and resold for thousands, way before 9 dollar beers, way before the huge pre and post show parties, way before 30 dollar tee shirts, , way before everyone used cell phones at concerts, way before dollar cheese sandwiches in parking lot, way before the entitled fans who think they can barge in on your space, way before shakedown street, way before the nitrous in the parking lots, tried and true fan from Palo alto, saw all the Winterland shows, Frost, Greek, my mother taught Bobby in the 3rd grade, way before crowds of 70,000 plus, I was on the bus way before it was cool to have a ticket to ride...
But I am glad to see them doing this and glad for the folks who never saw the real deal at least get to see a taste of them because indeed the music never stops.
However for me I am content with my memories but real sad about the devastating toll rock and roll took on my hero Jerry., who was all about the music...
I hope all enjoyed looks like they did, will keep tuned in my memories of days past still linger of the good old Jerry days....It is what it is....Tonight's the night....Enjoy, not bitter, just sitting here watching the world turn around no longer riding on the merry go round, I just had to let it go........

Last edited:
MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

LOL you totally sound like an old elderly person hating music they don't like. Sad.

B**** don't kill the vibe.

Grilled cheese sandwiches rock btw.

I've been listening to the Grateful Dead since the very same day I was born in the very early 70s.

Last edited:
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Ain't no time to hate, where did I say hate, none in my heart for any one or any thing.
I love the music, and am not killing the vibe. you just have had been there and done that to know what I mean...
Only just My observations of the present.
LOL may be old but I bet most of you could not keep up with what I do daily on farm...Our young interns are blown away about how much work I do...

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

I've been there, and done that, I was born into the family, have fun on the farm at least. Peace

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
I will have fun on the farm and will have fun tuning into tonight's last show...
Just hope the break is not so long and they at least can remember lyrics to the songs. Yes I know
Jerry forgot lyrics but he was pretty strung out and it's hard to remember anything when on that shit...
no matter what, the fake Jerrys, it's all good, but nobody can take his place..
Again enjoy while you can.....This is part of history, the real deal ended in 95 when Jerry left the building everything else is just what it is...

Last edited:
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Best set list so far. IMO...
1st night. Chicago...
Looking to hear Terrapin, estimated prophet, promised land lets just see..
Set 1

• Box Of Rain (from American Beauty, 1970)
    • Jack Straw (from Europe '72, 1972)
    • Bertha (from Grateful Dead, 1971)
    • Passenger (from Terrapin Station, 1977)
    • The Wheel (from the Jerry Garcia album Garcia, 1972) > Crazy Fingers (from Blues For Allah, 1975)
    • The Music Never Stopped (from Blues For Allah, 1975)
Set 2

• Mason's Children (from Workingman's Dead, 1970)
    • Scarlet Begonias (from From the Mars Hotel, 1974)
    • Fire On The Mountain (from Shakedown Street, 1978)
    • Drums > Space
    • New Potato Caboose (from Anthem of the Sun, 1968)
    • Playing In The Band (from Grateful Dead, 1971)
    • Let It Grow (from Wake of the Flood, 1973)
    • Help On The Way (from Blues For Allah, 1975)
    • Slipknot! (from Blues For Allah, 1975)
    • Franklin's Tower (from Blues For Allah, 1975)

SmokesalotofVT

SmokesalotofVT

Hey hey.. talked to my Buddy ,He is indeed Impressed with Trey thus far..
and is phsyced for the 3rd and Final Night.. and on a side Note he Said the Weed
is Awesome .. lol

Tomba

Tomba

2/9/73 !!
10/9/82 !!
10/10/82 !!
All fucking killer shows.

A little awesomeness for me was going into frost a few days ahead of the shows and burying Bacardi and a couple cases of beer in the lawn then on show day we brought in ice and cups and dug that shit up during the show to the utter amazement of everyone around us hahahaha. Good times!!!

SmokesalotofVT

SmokesalotofVT

I will have fun on the farm and will have fun tuning into tonight's last show...
Just hope the break is not so long and they at least can remember lyrics to the songs. Yes I know
Jerry forgot lyrics but he was pretty strung out and it's hard to remember anything when on that shit...
no matter what, the fake Jerrys, it's all good, but nobody can take his place..
Again enjoy while you can.....This is part of history, the real deal ended in 95 when Jerry left the building everything else is just what it is...
Indeed I must Agree with you Jerry was and is Irreplaceable ..He was talented beyond what Most people even really know
Like alot of the Steel Guitar work on Eagles Recordings Was Jerry .. But I do not hold that against the rest of the band as
I am sure They'd Love to Still have Mr Garcia around and Jammin his ass off with them.. can't really call them Fake Jerry's
though as I am sure they try to Do it with the Best Intentions and to honor Jerry ..I can imagine Trey Grew up listening to
Jerry just like alot of you... put yourself in his shoes..?? jerrys Role with the Dead(sort of) HUGE shoes to try and fill......
and on thier Fare thee Well tour No Less..

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
2/9/73 !!
10/9/82 !!
10/10/82 !!
All fucking killer shows.

A little awesomeness for me was going into frost a few days ahead of the shows and burying Bacardi and a couple cases of beer in the lawn then on show day we brought in ice and cups and dug that shit up during the show to the utter amazement of everyone around us hahahaha. Good times!!!

Got to get it in by any means...
Red Rocks. Would hide 12 packs in the trash can pre show as it is a city park and visitors are allowed in pre show. in the bathroom that's behind the stage on the left as you face stage.
Nice cold Heineken cans were the tradition. For years no one figured it out despite the water leaking from the melting ice...
Candlestick park for Giants would toss 12 packs over fence to friends waiting inside..
The good old days....Guzzle em down...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Got to get it in by any means...
Red Rocks. Would hide 12 packs in the trash can pre show as it is a city park and visitors are allowed in pre show. in the bathroom that's behind the stage on the left as you face stage.
Nice cold Heineken cans were the tradition. For years no one figured it out despite the water leaking from the melting ice...
Candlestick park for Giants would toss 12 packs over fence to friends waiting inside..
The good old days....Guzzle em down...
Frost... One time was having beer poured over fence from outside directly into my mouth.
Cops saw it were amused laughed and then told me to knock it off...
Frost shows were some of the very finest, my and the bands home turf....

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Frost
frost..

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
One of our top 5 shows....
Greek, 9 12 81...
https://archive.org/details/gd81-09-12.aud.wise.25317.shnf
My friend of 45 years is visiting. His memories are amazing.
We went to this show with a fella from New Zealand who never saw anything like this. this was the first Greek run with the exception of one show in 68, everything fresh.
He recalls an intense mushroom day....those damn things....

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Last night’s Grateful Dead show in Chicago at Soldier Field set a new record for attendance--
70,764…
===========================================
NEW YORK, July 5, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Empire State Realty Trust, Inc. ESRT, +0.17% gave 60,000 "Deadheads" an epic show on Saturday night during the sold out "Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead" concert on July 4 by synchronizing the Empire State Building's (ESB) LED tower lights to the band's live performance of "U.S. Blues."
The production was specifically designed for the Soldier Field Anniversary crowd, where members of the original band were reunited for the "Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead" tour 20 years to the day after the band's last performance together.

ESB lighting designer Marc Brickman teamed up with the band to create the vision and technical design of the music-to-light show, which featured an assortment of Grateful Dead imagery in the mast of the building.

Fans who weren't able to catch the once-in-a-lifetime show live at Soldier Field can watch ESB's tribute online at www.Dead.net. ESB will also give New Yorkers an encore performance of the lighting at 9:00 p.m. ET on July 5. Fans can tune into iHeartRadio's Q104.3 to listen along as they watch the show.

GDs9

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Steimagephp

"DO NOT MAKE CONTACT WITH THESE GUESTS!" the flyer warns security personnel about people having an "upsetting experience." Leave it instead to medical personnel, the flyer says.
Stewie on acid

And don't touch them! "LSD CAN BE ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN TO SKIN CONTACT. DO NOT TOUCH ANY GUESTS SUSPECTED OF BEING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF LSD. (Gloves are available in the uniform room.)
Stelsd

GDs10a

GDs10b

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

OK just ordered on ppv... will enjoy, partys on!!!!
Every body is having lots of safe fun, nothing wrong with dat.....
That's the sprit I cherish 100s of thousands of folks together no incidents.
Jerry would approve....

I'm sorry, cman when I posted that earlier I had destroyed a half-gallon of gin and trying to sleep after an epic show where they totally blasted US Blues. Really I'm sorry about that, it was uncalled for... everybody has their different takes. Cheers and I hope everybody has a great show tonight. We are all digging these old Dead war stories that is all that matters brother.

Latest posts

Top Bottom