Grove bags vs Mason jars

• Thread starter Clyde4210
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

I am good with my 1 gallon pickle jars and mini hygrometers.
I don't burp my jars everyday or every week !
I burp them if the RH goes over 65%. The meter tells me.
Depending how much is in jar and condition they went in jar [all are unique] will determine if there is much activity in the first 3-4 weeks.
I have a gallon pickle jar full too and that's going pretty good but with 4, 8gram integra packs. That pickle jar I place a sandwich bag over opening before putting the lid on. Did you do anything special too make it air tight?

E9noxis

E9noxis

Is it better to use multiple smaller Grove bags or one big Grove bag?

I'm finding bad things with small jars so I wonder if the same applied to the bags

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Is it better to use multiple smaller Grove bags or one big Grove bag?

I'm finding bad things with small jars so I wonder if the same applied to the bags
Use multiple and buy from Grove and get the 4 Oz bags. I bought mine from Amazon not bad but I do have a small bag with a leak.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Use multiple and buy from Grove and get the 4 Oz bags. I bought mine from Amazon not bad but I do have a small bag with a leak.
I went to buy a few of them here in Canada and they have free shipping on orders over $99, my $25 dollar order they wanted $29 shipping.....I'll use my glass jars. I've shipped and received stuff from across North America, I shipped a 6lb box Halifax to Vancouver for $25 and they want $29 for a few plastic bags? No it ain't happining

sambapati

sambapati

My first grow but I’m going to be using mason jars with a hydrometer in each as well as a bodiva pack, and other half will be in grovebags (58-62%RH)

everyone has their own preference so I wanted to try both and see what each is like, half of each stain I’m growing will be split in half between the 2 for curing so I can compare plant by plant
appreciate your approach and taking the time to let us know the results. I'm planning to continue using the paper bag method and then put them in the grove bags.

freezeland2

freezeland2

appreciate your approach and taking the time to let us know the results. I'm planning to continue using the paper bag method and then put them in the grove bags.
Use a moisture meter and you can forget the paper bags, although that method works well too.

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

I went to buy a few of them here in Canada and they have free shipping on orders over $99, my $25 dollar order they wanted $29 shipping.....I'll use my glass jars. I've shipped and received stuff from across North America, I shipped a 6lb box Halifax to Vancouver for $25 and they want $29 for a few plastic bags? No it ain't happining
Check again I tweeted them about shipping and they lowered it. If not try Amazon but all they have is sample packs.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I'm in a Grove Bag cure cycle right now. Bought 10ea. 1/4 lb and 10ea. 1 oz. bags. I'm using them on my last small harvest. Took for ever to get a tracking number out of them and forever to get them. Was about to put the harvest in Ball jars when they got here and they did screw the crap out of me on shipping. $21 for shipping out of the Cleveland area I think it was is insane! Also ordered a bunch of meters for the bags from useless Amazon twice and none of them were nowhere close to accurate or useable. Had to get some Govee meters I could calibrate that are working good. Already had a wood meter. But with all the drama of getting the bags in and good temp/rh meters my weed got a bit to dry. So after setting a few days I tossed a fan leaf in each bag because the rh was 56% or so. One bag is at 73.0f/60.9rh and the other is 73.9f/60.9rh with the fan leafs now pulled. So I will see how it goes after a couple more weeks. But they are working as advertised.

steamroller

steamroller

I have a gallon pickle jar full too and that's going pretty good but with 4, 8gram integra packs. That pickle jar I place a sandwich bag over opening before putting the lid on. Did you do anything special too make it air tight?
Mine are listed as water proof and seem to seal well. They were $10 each on the 'big river'.
Wife bought me 12 @2 liter generic mason jars that work perfectly also. Meter in every jar, and attention.
Any ' moisture 'pack is smoke IMO. I don't and hopefully will never need that much high tech. I am old and we learned other things before all this.
If you let your shit get too dry throw a carrot [or appropriate size piece of carrot ] in bag/jar .
Haven't had to do that with any of my own product.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Mine are listed as water proof and seem to seal well. They were $10 each on the 'big river'.
Wife bought me 12 @2 liter generic mason jars that work perfectly also. Meter in every jar, and attention.
Any ' moisture 'pack is smoke IMO. I don't and hopefully will never need that much high tech. I am old and we learned other things before all this.
If you let your shit get too dry throw a carrot [or appropriate size piece of carrot ] in bag/jar .
I toss in a fresh leaf, it gets crunchy in 1 -2 days and the buds get their moisture back.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Check again I tweeted them about shipping and they lowered it. If not try Amazon but all they have is sample packs.
Thank you, I guess you had some influence...they had another option with a 15% summer discount it made the deal palatable.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Let us know how you like the opaque versus windowed. All of mine have windows but can see potential benefit of the solid opaque bags.
They were out of the windowed 1/2 lb so I took the alternative...WTF I'll give them a try if it helps preserve my harvests great. I've not had any trouble with jars though...I go through it so fast there's no time to mold/dry out or get all funky tasting. I smoke an oz plus every 6 days when I'm conserving, I go through more when I'm flush with it.

I don't usually have more than I can use but I have a large harvest coming in now that I'll need more space for and some of it may last more than a month or 2,,,,,,,I hope the bags do the job.

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

I'll have to look I bought mine with pickles from Walmart. Cleaning was easy just hot water and dawn dish soap. You have to scrub the inside lip of the lid.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

This works really well for me: Stop the dry one day before the buds are in the curing zone. Trim the leaves and stems. Now put the buds in rectangular storage trays with humidity sensors. Don't let the buds touch the sensor. Something like 10x15x5 in size that holds a lot more than a mason jar. Then burp the trays once a day until the humidity is stable at 60%. Then store the buds in mason jars for long term. No burping jars. Burp 4-5 trays instead of 30 jars.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I tweeted them 2 weeks ago when I went to order and it was 21 bucks shipping. I went back a week after and shipping was 11 bucks.
I received my bags today...First they wanted $28 for shipping then after your intervention they dropped it to $9.22 how nice of them. Did they forget that we get to see their shipping cost? $3.19 is what they paid....In this day and age of gouging I'm getting a bit ticked off at how blatant it has become.

Bags
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

I received my bags today...First they wanted $28 for shipping then after your intervention they dropped it to $9.22 how nice of them. Did they forget that we get to see their shipping cost? $3.19 is what they paid....In this day and age of gouging I'm getting a bit ticked off at how blatant it has become.
I asked them to switch to USPS because when I tried shopping it was FedEx at 20+ shipping. If you're bags are good then you should love them. For me they dry a little slower, had to burp but I think it's a better cure. The jars are all lemon scent, oily and that large Grove bag has bring out more of the diesel and it's stickier.

Side note: everyone is price gouging on shipping or at least small companies are. They think they should make a profit off the postage. USPS priority mail is $8.45, tracking, up to 70 pounds and it shouldn't cost more than that unless there's something special needed or done.

Careful ordering signature items dealing with tobacco that's definitely over 20.

Last edited:
Top Bottom