Grove Bags Yes? No? Why?

• Thread starter CannaGranny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dothraki

Dothraki

Time to take it down a notch. Agree to disagree.
Why the hell would you add my quote under Neuro’s? Are you using me to justify telling him to tone it down? Read my post, tell me what exactly needs to be toned down in that post. The fact that I’m using reason and logic?

I swear it’s like a fucking mob of 12 year olds in here jesus christ lol.

freezeland2

freezeland2

What temperature? Do you keep hygrometers in them?
Mid 60’s in the room they are stored in. No I don’t put hygrometers in the bags. When I do open after sealing for 30 days plus they are as moist as the day they were sealed. They also smell killer. Maybe you are drying to quickly?

0ttomanfarmer

0ttomanfarmer

I got mine today. Will put some flowers from the Jars into the Grove Bags to see if there will be a difference after a month or so.
Gonna report how it worked out.
20230207 125236

Some of the packs look weird at the sealing part. Do your packs also look like that ?

NotSure

NotSure

I vote CVault just because they are easy to do a Everclear wash after the bud is gone and make a little oil. The 2 I have usually handle a grow. If not I have jars for overflow. I like to smell and feel the progress of the cure. Just my .02, adjusted for inflation.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Why the hell would you add my quote under Neuro’s? Are you using me to justify telling him to tone it down? Read my post, tell me what exactly needs to be toned down in that post. The fact that I’m using reason and logic?

I swear it’s like a fucking mob of 12 year olds in here jesus christ lol.
You should keep talking about how everyone here is dumb. Is working great for you.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Grove Bags are a tool. They are just another method that can be used to get a cure. I'm sorry if this offends you but if you put less desirable bud into a Grove Bag it's not going to perform some hidden voodoo magic and turn it into unicorn rainbow frufru.

Just do yourself a favor and don't make blanket statements regarding things that you seem to be the exception with.

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Dangerous when people defend products like this lol. I am not out to shit on..or praise anyone. But truth is truth whether it fits your portrayed narrative or not. The fact of the matter is… these bags do NOT do well in dry environments because they lose too much too fast, even heat sealed. That is a fact. At least with the bags I have, which I assume came off the same conveyor belt.

Recognizing the limits and/or shortcomings of a product will lead to better products and a higher standard….unless of course you have an emotional connection to that product and lash out at anyone that points out it’s deficiencies.
I have yet to see any deficiencies that can be quantified and backed up by more than “This may be only the third time I’ve done this, but I’m a genius and can run a TV station”. Sorry. I’m just not taking those bona fides seriously.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
NO! Why? Because Cvaults do the trick very well.

I grow 4 plants and generally store each harvested plant in its own 17 liter cvault.
Plant #3 harvested 7 weeks ago 840 grams. Burping 30 oz at a time is not a problem

View attachment 1328046

I vote CVault just because they are easy to do a Everclear wash after the bud is gone and make a little oil. The 2 I have usually handle a grow. If not I have jars for overflow. I like to smell and feel the progress of the cure. Just my .02, adjusted for inflation.

Any of you guys needing or wanting more Cvaults?
I have several used which I have not cleaned and have a thin film of resin inside. They're the big size, about the size of a basketball but it's been so long I forgot the exact volume. Looks like the size in smokedareefer's pic.
I've been thinking about trying to clean them up and sell on ebay or maybe the classifieds here.
Let me know if you want them and I'll let them go for cheap but shipping might be a little pricey

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Grove Bags are a tool. They are just another method that can be used to get a cure. I'm sorry if this offends you but if you put less desirable bud into a Grove Bag it's not going to perform some hidden voodoo magic and turn it into unicorn rainbow frufru.

Just do yourself a favor and don't make blanket statements regarding things that you seem to be the exception with.
I can say this ... Like said above, Grove bags are a tool. Used correctly, they do well. Get in a rush and fill the bag too soon? You can still get mold. I tossed about a 1/4 lb from my outdoor run earlier this week. I got in a hurry and still had too much moisture in the bud but that's on me. It has nothing to do with the bag itself. Likewise, over-drying before placing in the Grove Bags would have a different but less than optimal result on the cure as well. That's not the bag's fault if the grower is deviating from the recommended process.

What I like about the Grove bags is they don't break when dropped. They don't require as much handling as the old fashion mason jar/burp method. Are they superior? I guess that depends on who you ask. I like them ... but, they are expensive. Will I buy more? We'll see.

If you don't want to cure in a glass mason jar, they are a viable option ...

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I can say this ... Like said above, Grove bags are a tool. Used correctly, they do well. Get in a rush and fill the bag too soon? You can still get mold. I tossed about a 1/4 lb from my outdoor run earlier this week. I got in a hurry and still had too much moisture in the bud but that's on me. It has nothing to do with the bag itself. Likewise, over-drying before placing in the Grove Bags would have a different but less than optimal result on the cure as well. That's not the bag's fault if the grower is deviating from the recommended process.

What I like about the Grove bags is they don't break when dropped. They don't require as much handling as the old fashion mason jar/burp method. Are they superior? I guess that depends on who you ask. I like them ... but, they are expensive. Will I buy more? We'll see.

If you don't want to cure in a glass mason jar, they are a viable option ...

+1 on all accounts gramps.

The yearly cost has been negligible to me considering the amount of bud that I had cured. $4.50/half pound of cured bud is easily digested :)

My typical process is:

-hang dry bud until achieved dryness (I go on feel, cripsy buds or small stems snapping)
-do final trim and into grove bags
-do NOT heat seal yet
-check bags every day for 1-3 days as you might be surprised at how moist the bud is the next day
-heat seal bags for 1-12+ months

Dothraki

Dothraki

But here’s the thing… 14-16 day dry in controlled environment, buds smelled, smoked and tasted amazing, not harsh… into grove bag & heat sealed, RH in bag 62%, then dropped to 58 after a couple weeks, then down to 53 a few weeks later. Bags were in 68F. After 7 weeks of cure the buds are not as flavorful and became slightly harsh..back of the throat deal when smoked from a small dry glass bowl (no filtration).

Since the buds were flavorful and smooth before going into grove bags you can rule out that this was a drying error. Since RH in bag was proper that rules out too dry or too wet going into bags. Temps were good in the room, never got above 70f.

Like I said before, next run I’ll do half jars and half bags. But as the info outlined above shows, it seems the bags are the culprit for loss of flavor and adding to the throat hit.

..HIGHLYxLYFETD..

..HIGHLYxLYFETD..

What’s your opinion on Grove Bags? I’m using half gallon jars and quickly running out of storage space. Tell me about your experience with these and how I can best use them to cure and store. Thanks! 🙂
I'm using some now my harvest, did a couple oz's in jars, and the rest in grove bags. Claim to keep rh at 58-62%. U just gotta keep the temp right. They seem nice, I'll know for sure when they done with the cure. I wanted to see comparatively which turns out with a better cure, the glass jars or grove... I hope the bags work better, cuz all around they cheaper, lighter, takes up less room than big jars, oh and no burping. That's nice about them too...

..HIGHLYxLYFETD..

..HIGHLYxLYFETD..

10 - 12% on a wood moisture meter. Grove recommends that on their website. I haven’t had a bad cure yet doing that. The other important thing is heat sealing the bag closed and leave it alone in a cool dark place for a month.
I'm gonna have to check out those wood moisture meters....a new toy! Lol. Hopefully they reasonably priced. Appreciate that freezeland2

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

But here’s the thing… 14-16 day dry in controlled environment, buds smelled, smoked and tasted amazing, not harsh… into grove bag & heat sealed, RH in bag 62%, then dropped to 58 after a couple weeks, then down to 53 a few weeks later. Bags were in 68F. After 7 weeks of cure the buds are not as flavorful and became slightly harsh..back of the throat deal when smoked from a small dry glass bowl (no filtration).

Since the buds were flavorful and smooth before going into grove bags you can rule out that this was a drying error. Since RH in bag was proper that rules out too dry or too wet going into bags. Temps were good in the room, never got above 70f.

Like I said before, next run I’ll do half jars and half bags. But as the info outlined above shows, it seems the bags are the culprit for loss of flavor and adding to the throat hit.

My experience has been a bit different than yours. In fact, my success with them has not even been 100% (see the part where I tossed a 1/4 lb of moldy bud). What makes them worth-while to me isn't that they are fool-proof. It's that they don't shatter when dropped. I dropped a jar a little over a year ago and it shattered into a bazillion pieces. My dogs were in the same room and one of my dogs loves cannabis. We got through that episode with no harm to the four-legged children. The anxiety level from that incident isn't something I got over though. Since then, where-ever possible, we avoid containers that can shatter. Shatter proof and easy storage is their appeal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom