Grow diary mission impossible (low to medium budget lol)

• Thread starter BearWater
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I was just asking, I know they sell them for a reason and lots of people use them.

I'm use to clamping the connections and using HVAC tape over the connections but thinking about it, the rubber boot would make changing out filters definitely quicker since I use tape on mine. Maybe the next time I change my filter, I'll buy the rubber boot to put on instead. It will at least save me money on HVAC tape!
I do remember having the thought “man this is going to suck taking back down after it’s all taped up” : ) I went back and looked at the pick and if you look close you can see the filter is a little off alignment also. That boot worked amazingly for my application. It could be one of the few beginner recommendations I could give hahaha.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Hey all I got a question for you exhaust/intake gurus!
One more piece of info. I have a box fan in front of the filter for downward air movement. I wondering if that would affect the uptake ability of the fan? I’m going to mess with the placement to see if that changes anything.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Everyone! I’m sitting on my couch with the 3yr old sleeping on me and I realized I still haven’t sealed the entire inside of the space!!!! I’m almost certain that’s what is going on. I’ll be heading back out there at some point this evening. That’s kind of embarrassing but is what it is. At least I hope that is what it is😂🤪 some of the perks of having extreme ADD (diagnosed not by self hahaha) I can get a bunch of different things done but only partially! 🥴 so I guess that’s not really done then?

Newty

Newty

One more piece of info. I have a box fan in front of the filter for downward air movement. I wondering if that would affect the uptake ability of the fan? I’m going to mess with the placement to see if that changes anything.
Take a pic when you get a chance.
Everyone! I’m sitting on my couch with the 3yr old sleeping on me and I realized I still haven’t sealed the entire inside of the space!!!! I’m almost certain that’s what is going on. I’ll be heading back out there at some point this evening. That’s kind of embarrassing but is what it is. At least I hope that is what it is😂🤪 some of the perks of having extreme ADD (diagnosed not by self hahaha) I can get a bunch of different things done but only partially! 🥴 so I guess that’s not really done then?
Most of us setup tents in the space we have, you were creative and went a different route and it's going to take a little bit to get it dialed in. There's always going to be adjustments you want to make, some will be easier to complete then others but it looks like everything is coming together well! You got this!

It just seems like there's not as many hours in a day anymore, you start a project and before you know it the whole day is gone.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
it looks like everything is coming together well! You got this!
hey thank you! : ) 🙏
It just seems like there's not as many hours in a day anymore, you start a project and before you know it the whole day is gone.
It’s just not fair!! Hahaha. I will say having kids and managing the shit show I call all my hobbies and housework stuff is absolutely exhausting. But then I get the little one taking a nap on me and it all makes sense : ) me and the six year old were out building a porch for the shed while the little slept, it was good : )

Take a pic when you get a chance
here’s three pics for orientation of the room to the fans/exhaust system.
57A703F4 DAA4 413A B700 80EA3272B9BF
8D37F0E1 B147 4A0D 87C9 ACE9947B7713
E526C279 DD02 464A 9D6C 9611ABC44C3C

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Here’s a screen shot of the controller controlling, note the temp : ) its a little lower (its cold outside now) so it should be coming down in the next few hours.

85A59BDE DE7C 4992 BB37 86CEEF17A88C
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Lots of updates! The first thing is about the heat control or lack there off in the grow space. It was easily (for my setup) to just open the damn door to both the room and shed! That simple! My take away from that is you can fight it and constantly be at odds with it, or dont : ) also the most simplest solution could be staring you in the face and until the right trigger comes along you may never see it (still working on the figuring out of seeing the simple solution hahaha). On that note, I have two window mount ac in the works from a family member!! (Just collecting dust in the garage). The universe will provide!!

Up potted from solos today! I’ve come to the realization that I was not watering “well enough” and for that the plants have suffered. Upon removal from the solos I saw very little root growth on the obvious dry plants (im not to worried about it) ill veg those girls until they catch up lol. Thats why I was asking about the root stuff earlier in a separate post. Which I have decided to use on one of each strain as a tester, if all goes well I will be applying the solution to the entire run.
D3CA501F DA9B 4F9F A7E3 9F3ECF84D45A
1AD089EF 955D 45CD 8F53 9AF8C9F1BBE0
1E7B9C3B BAC4 4695 A066 0CC840A70BFD

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Ok, watered one of each strain and all my strawberry plants. The strawberries got half a droppers with about 2 gallons of water. The ganja got just the tip of the dropper full worth of solution in about 2 gallons of water. It honestly seems like not enough of the solution in that much water to hurt things, but again im not willing to take that chance with my extremely limited knowledge. Ill keep this post updated on the progress after watering with solution.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I didn’t run the heater last night, the low inside the room is 58. Too cold? Lights come on in 2 hours.

Newty

Newty

I didn’t run the heater last night, the low inside the room is 58. Too cold? Lights come on in 2 hours.
I would try for a minimum of 60, 63-65 would be more comfortable if you can. Occasional dips below 60 now and then will be ok, as long as it doesn't dip to low.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I would try for a minimum of 60, 63-65 would be more comfortable if you can. Occasional dips below 60 now and then will be ok, as long as it doesn't dip to low.
Thanks Newty! Yeah I unplugged the heater yesterday during the up potting to get it out of my way and never plugged it back in. Ill get it back up and going today (it was perfect the other night when i used the heater). Thanks again newty!!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Just got out of the shed and there is already a noticeable difference in the plants from yesterday!! Was totally under watering those things, they look much happier today. Now i just play the waiting game for another watering.
Im going to go pick up my new (to me) ac tomorrow and work on getting that incorporated into the grow. Lots of ideas based on little experience… what could go wrong?😂🤷🏼‍♂️

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I think im going to need to really learn the ACI controller functions more fluently. Here’s a screen shot of what my room did over lights out. It did that the entire time hahaha.
9228103B AC7A 45C4 96B6 893BD5DCB550

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Great morning to everyone! Yesterday I picked up the not one but two window mount AC units, now I need to figure out how im going to utilize them. I have some questions! My biggest one being where should I run the AC? Directly into the grow room through the insulation thus leaving the hot exhaust into my shed (I could build a vent box for it and get that hot air up into the attic space. Or should I cool the “lung room” and intake cool air from there into the grow space? With those questions in mind, the two AC units are 8,000 and 5,000 BTUs. I searched the forum and there are a couple threads from a while ago with some info but with my limited knowledge I really wasn’t able to make sense of any of it. I’m leaning towards running the smaller unit into the grow space from within the shed (based on what I have seen done elsewhere, mini split). Im open to suggestions and past experiences setting up rooms with lung or direct AC rooms. Im wondering if I should cross post this question to a new thread titled im a crazy and there’s nothing you can do about it? Hahaha. Thanks again for reading! Oh! The plants are growing! The bigger Banana Garlics I have are a pretty light green color, have know clue what that means : ) ill post some pics later (im not too worried about it) my expectations have shifted a bit since joining the farmer, I have read a lot of folks saying “making it through the first run from start to finish” is most important. I’ve dropped any past ego or confidence from my outdoor experiences and are approaching this new venture as a inexperienced indoor grower. So all that means I know the plants are ok at this point and im not stressing over the little things too badly, might not get that 4 pound yield but it will give me something to shoot for hahaha. Again ill post some pictures later today so I can make the necessary adjustments if needed. Thanks everybody!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
As promised, here are pics of the Banana Garlic. Haven’t used any nutes on them. Only water this far. after reading through the forum im leaning towards it might be light stress? Also they got a little pissed that they were in those smaller than solo cup containers.
C00C8AD8 4132 4720 AAEA A89F89B6433C
19F64761 37CB 41A5 9C3F 4D6364212AFD
4248877C AC83 4D1D B3C1 C5DE950A21E9

Z

Zab

Could always pop some sandwich sized zip lock bags on the top of the cups over night too.
Or you could use clear solo type cups with a hole or 2 on the bottom, the ones I have fit right inside my solo cups. I lke the tote mini greenhouse there.

Z

Zab

Alright the madness continues! I took 2waters idea of sandwich bags on top of the solos, and found some very cheep clear plastic planting cups. They have roughly a 1/2” drain whole at the bottom, do you think that will create enough humidity in the dome or should close that whole up? I was think I could use the whole as a spritzer port for the seedlings?
View attachment 2118225
Sorry I posted about the clear solo cups before reading the whole thread, looks grrreat!

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
So yesterday was a wash as far as getting plants up potted. I did make it to a lowes and got some ducting to route hot exhaust out of the shed directly and to intake cool/cold air from outside directly. Got half done with that project and had to come in for the night. I have three kids which two of them were on a winter break so my shed time was very constricted, I’m “retired” but my wife still grinds for the man so her schedule is really my schedule (and that shit is not consistent), just life : ) with that said ill probably be able to finish the exhaust project over today as it NEEDS to happen, grow space hit 85f yesterday (to hot I think?). And maybe ill get a little up potting done, who knows. Definitely going to enjoy some Saturday morning cartoons hahaha. Oh and I built a watering bucket for the littles as I dont have water to the shed yet and dont want to bring a hose in there just yet(going to lay some plastic drip catch down). It’s goofy I know, but im a goofy guy and LOVE building shit, like really love it hahaha.View attachment 2126161View attachment 2126162
I made one of these not too long ago as well lol

Just one question, I see you have the 4x corners of your light all clipped back to one ratchet and that one hanging from the ceiling, I’d suggest making 4x mounting points in your roof etc and individually run those straps vertically, I’ve had a few different ratchets fail on me completely, and a few just slipped over time (even the metal geared ones)

Don’t wanna freak your out over it, just that if one of those breaks that’s the end of the grow, cus it’s gunna come straight down on those fragile plants… let alone a damaged light…

Just my 2 cents, wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I saw that, then in a month or 2 see devastation when a strap breaks

But I deter, setup is sick fam 😁👊👊

Z

Zab

I made one of these not too long ago as well lol

Just one question, I see you have the 4x corners of your light all clipped back to one ratchet and that one hanging from the ceiling, I’d suggest making 4x mounting points in your roof etc and individually run those straps vertically, I’ve had a few different ratchets fail on me completely, and a few just slipped over time (even the metal geared ones)

Don’t wanna freak your out over it, just that if one of those breaks that’s the end of the grow, cus it’s gunna come straight down on those fragile plants… let alone a damaged light…

Just my 2 cents, wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I saw that, then in a month or 2 see devastation when a strap breaks

But I deter, setup is sick fam 😁👊👊
Not my thread but thanks for the info, I didn`t think these would break let loose( I havethe plastic, ones but only use the metal ones).

Top Bottom