Grow number two, making space

• Thread starter amekins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
amekins

amekins

Everyone has been uppotted using Coast of Maine Stonington Blend into 3 gallon fabric pots. Tomorrow I will look at them again after they’ve settled in and tie some branches down. I hate the unevenness of the canopy even with the shortest plant elevated. Both small fans are now also facing tent walls and staggered. I’ll check leaf temps tomorrow.
3DAE21BA CAD6 46BD B230 25DB226FCBEC
C68BCDC7 6BEA 4DD0 A58D 02B16AE2EA3F

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looks like they asking for a bit lower humidity. Not uncommon to see em droop a bit after a good water but make sure they are getting a good dry cycle and water in mornings so they have time to uptake and reduce water saturation of the soil.

Odiesel

Odiesel

Looks like they asking for a bit lower humidity. Not uncommon to see em droop a bit after a good water but make sure they are getting a good dry cycle and water in mornings so they have time to uptake and reduce water saturation of the soil.
I'm kinda glad i went the coco route this time since all my previous grows were hydro I wanted to do soil or coco. Soil watering definitely takes some getting used to since you are having to even out the cycle. I was reading something yesterday about watering since im trying to build a runoff catchment setup for my tent.
He said about soil- "In soil, it takes experience to know when to water. Plants in soil are moving between being oxygen starved after a watering and being water deprived as the soil dries between events. Plant roots require both oxygen and water. If the roots are starved of oxygen, they will turn brown and die. Soil based growing media become oxygen depleted when they are saturated with water. This means that the roots are unable to get enough air for some time after each watering. Growers need to wait for soil to dry out before watering again because otherwise the roots will not get enough oxygen and they will die."
Said this way paints a better picture for me the way watering and different mediums are effected, so if I ever do try soil this is good to know

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm kinda glad i went the coco route this time since all my previous grows were hydro I wanted to do soil or coco. Soil watering definitely takes some getting used to since you are having to even out the cycle. I was reading something yesterday about watering since im trying to build a runoff catchment setup for my tent.
He said about soil- "In soil, it takes experience to know when to water. Plants in soil are moving between being oxygen starved after a watering and being water deprived as the soil dries between events. Plant roots require both oxygen and water. If the roots are starved of oxygen, they will turn brown and die. Soil based growing media become oxygen depleted when they are saturated with water. This means that the roots are unable to get enough air for some time after each watering. Growers need to wait for soil to dry out before watering again because otherwise the roots will not get enough oxygen and they will die."
Said this way paints a better picture for me the way watering and different mediums are effected, so if I ever do try soil this is good to know
Bingo. Thats why organic i feel has an advantage because you don't need runoff and you can water a bit less volume more frequently. Atleast thats my thoughts on it for soil.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Bingo. Thats why organic i feel has an advantage because you don't need runoff and you can water a bit less volume more frequently. Atleast thats my thoughts on it for soil.
Yep, and also where i feel media like proterra and coco work well as an organic base substrate since they are both nearly impossible to overwater to the point of O2 starvation.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yep, and also where i feel media like proterra and coco work well as an organic base substrate since they are both nearly impossible to overwater to the point of O2 starvation.
Yup largely why I feel coco will be the best media for organic. Not just o2 for the plant but also microbes which are heavily effected by this too and also huge amount of surface area provided for them means much more housing for them also.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yup largely why I feel coco will be the best media for organic. Not just o2 for the plant but also microbes which are heavily effected by this too and also huge amount of surface area provided for them means much more housing for them also.
Agreed. I mixed about 15% coco into my proterra mix, but i might try 3 gals of ammended coco next time. Only thing is its about triple the price compared to proterra. Which honestly works almost as good as coco. Its certainly not easy to overwater with it, and it comes precharged with lime buffers that in my view likely help to counteract the acidic organic feeds.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Agreed. I mixed about 15% coco into my proterra mix, but i might try 3 gals of ammended coco next time. Only thing is its about triple the price compared to proterra. Which honestly works almost as good as coco. Its certainly not easy to overwater with it, and it comes precharged with lime buffers that in my view likely help to counteract the acidic organic feeds.
Yeah the buffering is going to be an important factor i feel too.

Top Bottom