Grow number two, making space

• Thread starter amekins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Let’s be clear that I didn’t take it in any direction except plants and food. But I will happily entertain side wanders as part of the journey.

The name of the thread is kinda funny....2 making space! Is that some type on innuendo? Im sure its not but a little humur goes a long way

amekins

amekins

Read it as: “This is my second grow and I’m having to clean and toss shit to make any kind of room for plants in our small 865 sq feet of living space.”

I thought I might 1) lose people, or 2) violate a character limit.

amekins

amekins

This diary is the equivalent of a pie cooling on the windowsill with a packed bowl next to it.
Gotta shoo us off with a damn broomstick.
I’d be more likely to shoo you off the cooling pie and direct you to a seat and offer you cookies and milk or coffee or tea while you wait for the pie to cool. Gotta smoke the bowl out on the balcony 🤓😎🥰

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The fans are lower now but I worry they’re too close to the plants and I’ll end up with leaves missing. Opinions welcome.
View attachment 1054260
What i shoot for is a cyclone action under and through the canopy. The exhaust at the top will complete it as it pulls air up. Think of trying to create a toilet bowl action upside down. No direct airflow but lots of movement of air in the room. I dont bother with the air above the plants as they "breathe" from the underside of the leaves. You need to get that moisture away from the leaf and blowing from the top acts as a hydrofoil? Deflector? Whatever you want to call it, creating a humid microclimate. The whole goal of air movement is to pull that moist air away from the leaves and bring in new co2 rich air. Doing one accomplishes both.

Tldr: air movement under and through the canopy is important. A cyclone mixes the air in the most effective manner IMO without direct airflow and the exhaust pulls that up and out.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I got to far behind so skipping up to the end. An IR temp gun while not at all needed is very handy in checking leaf temps and many things can be seen with it. How well the plant is transpiriing, fan placement etc. By checking various locations you can see how your airflow is affecting the plants. This is because forced evaporation lowers leaf temps. If your getting nice even leaf temps you likely have very good even airflow among the plants.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I got to far behind so skipping up to the end. An IR temp gun while not at all needed is very handy in checking leaf temps and many things can be seen with it. How well the plant is transpiriing, fan placement etc. By checking various locations you can see how your airflow is affecting the plants. This is because forced evaporation lowers leaf temps. If your getting nice even leaf temps you likely have very good even airflow among the plants.
Also very useful for cooking!

Badchoice

Badchoice

Thanks for speaking of that we use those at work and I’ve been meaning to take one lol so I can measure heat better With my grow thanks for reminding me.

amekins

amekins

That was what I had actually envisioned. And then the reality of a small tent and small plants made putting the fans where airflow would be directed up towards the plants not possible without putting the plants on risers (not happening). Anyway...a VPD chart hangs on the tent. I have the little spreadsheet on my phone to enter the temps and RH, and the VPD was close but never really ideal. And that one sad sack plant made me need to figure it out and made adjustments to allow the humidity to rise more. Less than 12 hrs later, the improvement was noticeable. Twenty-four hours later? Much happier plants. All of them, even the ones that are harder to fuck up, have grown an inch in 8 hrs. So yeah, I’m slowly piecing together the information that has stuck (miracles exist! At least a few things stuck!) and utilizing when it clicks. This was one of those times. 👍
40206614 E876 41CD 8A7D D41F4FACC4FC
38630E8E 9BCE 4DBF A512 748ED9641D12

Latest posts

Top Bottom