Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
3 balls

3 balls

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated. How long did they last you? I’ll be running the ac all summer then switching to air exchange during colder months. It was 65 degrees out today and my air exchange was barely keeping the room at 80
In your situation they may last forever. I get a couple years out of them easy and that's abusing the shit out of them 12+ hours a day 365.

OngSkap

OngSkap

In your situation they may last forever. I get a couple years out of them easy and that's abusing the shit out of them 12+ hours a day 365.
Word, thanks again for the quick reply. Now just to find where to buy one...Besy Buy is sold out of 18k and Amazon is apparently notorious for sending units that have been trashed in transit

OngSkap

OngSkap

If you can afford it for portable A/C but want it to last and be competitive towards a mini split or traditional a/c. Get a kwikool (they even make geothermal versions, heat/ac versions, overhead hung like a quest dehumidifier version)

They are pretty badass and def the commercial of portable a/c’s ( one of my buddy’s showed me his and then I got myself a 2.5 ton, on my 2nd round with no errors or flaws , it def can cool my room no problem )
Why would I spend nearly $3k for a 7x9 room? It’s a bit much don’t ya think?

B

Burned Haze

Why would I spend nearly $3k for a 7x9 room? It’s a bit much don’t ya think?

Matters on your objectives or hobby goals lol. Kinda like size of rims on their car or some people are all about not messing around with junk gear or failures easy lol , I would much rather invest in being preventive than waste my time and produce fluff or ruin my crop because I have some down time. ( a oversize a/c is always better than the opposite cause the result of a undersized = and you’ll have it run 24/7 and worse results or possible failures )

+ i just know window a/c or crappy portables = c02 reducer + smell giver ( I made a lung room for my a/c so all intake/exhaust is in my “ lung room” so I never lose my c02/put smell outdoors )

Take my advice all you want ( I spent my time to help ya, if you don’t intake or agree. Everyone has their own views points )

example my room really only need 22-24k of cooling of a/c. I got a 32k ( was that extra cash worth it by same brand ? hell yes cause it has no problem keeping up , and if it gets hot out I don’t have to worry )

Last edited by a moderator:
OngSkap

OngSkap

Matters on your objectives or hobby goals lol. Kinda like size of rims on their car or some people are all about not messing around with junk gear or failures easy lol , I would much rather invest in being preventive than waste my time and produce fluff or ruin my crop because I have some down time. ( a oversize a/c is always better than the opposite cause the result of a undersized = and you’ll have it run 24/7 and worse results or possible failures )

+ i just know window a/c or crappy portables = c02 reducer + smell giver ( I made a lung room for my a/c so all intake/exhaust is in my “ lung room” so I never lose my c02/put smell outdoors )

Take my advice all you want ( I spent my time to help ya, if you don’t intake or agree. Everyone has their own views points )
Dude, I’m just gonna block you. You’ve been so salty and passive aggressive since I suggested you do some homework on silica.
I don’t need your pretentious advice on how I should spend $3,000 on an ac unit for a tiny room. Try to help this community out rather than being so condescending.

Tbone

Tbone

Hi John,
I got some good advice from you a few years ago and now I am building a third grow room. Im not installing a mini split this time. I'm installing a Carrier forced air unit. The air handler will be outside the room and I am also installing 3 Dehumidifiers outside the room and ducting them into the room. The objective here is to not have any equiptment in the room other than lights.
My delema is when sizing the load I fall right at 48000btu:
Room 24'x10'x10' 9100 btu
12 Gavita LEDs 26,598 btu
Dehumidifiers 8,592 btu
CO2 Generators 3,700 btu
Total 47,990 btu
So the load calls for a 4 ton Air conditioner. If I go with a 4 ton I assume I will get better dehumidification from the air conditioner but I have that pretty well covered with the 3 dehumidifiers. A little birdie keeps telling me to upsize to a 5 ton which is oversizing by a whole ton. My question is simple Would would you use 4 or 5 ton. I like to have the controll to bring temps down below 70 degrees at the end of flower. And if I ever add any equiptment I have room in btus to handle the extra heat load.
Can you see any problems oversizing by 12000 btus?
Thanks ,
Terry

Luckydux

Luckydux

Any cheap diy ideas on controlling a split system with a basic environmental controller? Maybe something along the lines of those Dayton fan controllers used for greenhouses??

N

nicolajanjak

Any cheap diy ideas on controlling a split system with a basic environmental controller? Maybe something along the lines of those Dayton fan controllers used for greenhouses??
nowadays minisplit are mainly inverter technology
there are not suited to use a timer on it .. you cant do on/off on these compressor, because it will make it get old prematurely
the AC will gradually reduce the speed of compressor and equalize gazes inside the system before turning off

just put your co2 controller if you have one

N

nicolajanjak

just a device that turn on/off your co2 bottle/burner.
to increase the ambiant co2 inside the room

not sure why you want a controller on the ac ? it is already integrated

Luckydux

Luckydux

I do run a burner but I’m sorry I don’t follow what your suggesting about it.
I want to control the ac so I have control over my day and night temps. I also prefer a remote thermostat to better control temps all around. It would help prevent the temp and humidity swings I’m having. I want the fan to run on high until temps are stable. This is a 10k light room with 2 3ton splits and an Anden dehumidifier.
I’ve never ran a room this large so kinda learning as I go

Cannaology617

Cannaology617

John, Ty so much for restarting this thread and your contributions towards the community.

Quick questions for you sir:

Desert environment, 120 degree summers, on the top floor of a newer house (2x6 good insulation) with central air for rest of house set at 77 during this time, and with exterior walls on two sides. Will a 24k BTU minisplit handle 4 1kw lights + the heat of the summer?

Also what is the big difference between say a Shinco minisplit and a Klimaire minisplit?

Thanks a ton in advance!
What is the square footage you are trying to maintain?

farmersofzion

farmersofzion

Hey everyone. So trying to buildout a indoor flowering room with about 130 lights rated at 680 Watts each. Strictly logic tells me I need to account for at least 680W x 130 Lights x 3.4 BTU's. Having trouble with HVAC contractors giving me a solid logic on why they choose their particular tonnage. Figure I ask you guys who have actual experience. Here are my variables below:

1) 680W x 130 Lights x 3.4 BTU = 300,560 BTU's of load
2) Evaporative cooling effects of lights = No clue but I know this contributes to lessening the heat load (???)
3) 25 Foot High Ceilings (???)
4) Dehumidifiers - 13 units rated at 5500 Watts
5) One roof centrifugal exhaust fan planned to be installed and opened every hour or two during lights on.

Anyone have any clue on the effects of points 2 & 3? because I'm working with much higher ceilings and a lot of plants, I'm hoping these variables benefit me.

Ultimately trying to figure out my AC tonnage for this room. Thoughts?

Cannaology617

Cannaology617

What is the square footage you are trying to maintain?
Sorry for the delay. New here and simply forgot about the site for a bit. Rule of thumb is to always upsize by 1/2 ton. I’ve found over the years by doing this, you put less stress on the system and have shorter cycles. That being said, you don’t want to go so big that it’s cutting on and off again in like 10min cycles. Short cycling is bad, shorter cycles are good and more efficient.

ic0dex

ic0dex

Best place to put the controller and or to have it partially covered. I read that if light shines on it it will pick up the incorrect temperature and not cool the room properly.

Also do you recommend using any “Smart” thermostats and if so any ecommendations?

HappyGrowmore

HappyGrowmore

Well it appears that my thread disappeared from the forum during the server change. So here goes a new one. Ask away about your grow room a/c questions.
I’d like to learn more about sealed rooms in humid environments. Is there no need for exhaust so long as you have sufficient air conditioning and dehumidification? I’m used to more arid climates but have recently moved and it’s hot and humid here. Exhaust seems like it would over strain the system but I’m also concerned about stale air. Would introducing an air scrubber be beneficial or over kill?
Thanks

Dbear180

Dbear180

I’d like to learn more about sealed rooms in humid environments. Is there no need for exhaust so long as you have sufficient air conditioning and dehumidification? I’m used to more arid climates but have recently moved and it’s hot and humid here. Exhaust seems like it would over strain the system but I’m also concerned about stale air. Would introducing an air scrubber be beneficial or over kill?
Thanks

You literally said, "I'd like to learn" in the first four words of this thread... why dont you just read the thread instead of asking a question that's been answered?

HappyGrowmore

HappyGrowmore

You literally said, "I'd like to learn" in the first four words of this thread... why dont you just read the thread instead of asking a question that's been answered?
Guess I’m still learning how to navigate the site, I’ve been a member for 15 minutes, sheesh, thanks for the help

Dbear180

Dbear180

Guess I’m still learning how to navigate the site, I’ve been a member for 15 minutes, sheesh, thanks for the help

& I see you still aren't doing the work of actually reading thru the threads. Guess your just one of those sensitive "hold my hand" type growers. I mean I only live where its already 100 on the daily, & grow in sealed c02 enriched rooms, I could fill you in on a lot about growing here, but I wont. Because you dont even want to attempt to find the info yourself 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Top Bottom