Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey John

Would it make any sense to use a single 10 ton unit and set it up to do zoning? I'm assuming this is a feature that will allow cold air to be directed where its needed, right? and price wise would it be cheaper too?

Zoning is the feature that allows air to cool each room as needed. If you want to do a single unit and do flip flop on ur lights then you could most likely get by with a single 7.5 ton unit that is zoned properly will do the trick. This will give you 5 tons for room with lights on and 2.5 tons for room with the lights out. Keep in mind you will want 3 phase power to power up the outdoor unit for anything bigger than 5 tons.

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

Hey whats up John!

I have an opportunity to make a purchase on a couple mini-split AC units...can you give me some info/insight as to whether or not these particular units are worth a darn, please and thank you~

Bless up...Sol

Here is the info for said units:

Brand: Shinco

Model Number KFR-70GW/IZBM
Style Ductless Mini Split AC With Heat Pump
Compressor Panasonic (Made In Japan)
Refrigerant R410 A (Pre-Charged)
Cooling Capacity 24000 BTU
Heating Capacity 27000 BTU
Application Area 1200 Sqare Feet (Variable)
Power Supply 230 V / 60 Hz
Input Power 2400W (cooling) / 2550W (heating)
Input Current 10.4A (cooling) / 11.1A (heating)
SEER 13.3
HSPF 7.9
Sound Level 55dB (indoor) / 62dB (outdoor)
Dehumid Capacity 2.1
Min Operating Temperature - 10 C / 14 F
Control System Control System Digital Multifunction infrared
Remote control with indoor unit
Dynamic digital LED display
Net Weight 37lbs (indoor) 150lbs (outdoor)
Dimensions 44.8X 8.3 X 12.7 in (indoor unit)
37.4 X 13.8 X 33 in (outdoor unit)
Warranty 1 Year on Parts / 5 Years on Compressor
Unit Features

Cooling & Heating Function
Highly Efficient (S.E.E.R. 13)
Dehumidification Function
Circulation Function
Digital Multifunction infrared Remote control
Intelligent control multifunction digital dynamic
LCD display (indoor unit)
Defrosting function (heat pump)
Clock Mode
Digital 24 Hour Timer
Sleep Mode
Automatic 3 Dimensional Dual Louver Air Flow
Remote Adjusted Double Louvers
Swing Double Louver Function
Auto Re-Start Function
3 Fan speed Selection
Multi-fold evaporator for faster cooling
Saw-teeth fan design for noise reduction

gumby420

gumby420

So i have 2 1000w hps and a 400w mh in a 10x10x10 room. right now i have 10 plants vegging under 1 1000w hps and 400 mh. without the other 1000w even turned on my temps are in the low to high 80s.
i am now on my third a/c. first i got a 10,000 btu, then 11,000 now today 13,000 and still not really noticing much of a difference.
i have fresh air being pumped in and air being sucked out through a carbon filter and blower. and the hot air from the ac exhausting out as well.
what else can i do other than air cooling the lights?
im starting to notice some tacoing on the leaves and starting to look a little spindly.
thanks for the help

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey whats up John!

I have an opportunity to make a purchase on a couple mini-split AC units...can you give me some info/insight as to whether or not these particular units are worth a darn, please and thank you~

Bless up...Sol

Here is the info for said units:

Brand: Shinco

Model Number KFR-70GW/IZBM
Style Ductless Mini Split AC With Heat Pump
Compressor Panasonic (Made In Japan)
Refrigerant R410 A (Pre-Charged)
Cooling Capacity 24000 BTU
Heating Capacity 27000 BTU
Application Area 1200 Sqare Feet (Variable)
Power Supply 230 V / 60 Hz
Input Power 2400W (cooling) / 2550W (heating)
Input Current 10.4A (cooling) / 11.1A (heating)
SEER 13.3
HSPF 7.9
Sound Level 55dB (indoor) / 62dB (outdoor)
Dehumid Capacity 2.1
Min Operating Temperature - 10 C / 14 F
Control System Control System Digital Multifunction infrared
Remote control with indoor unit
Dynamic digital LED display
Net Weight 37lbs (indoor) 150lbs (outdoor)
Dimensions 44.8X 8.3 X 12.7 in (indoor unit)
37.4 X 13.8 X 33 in (outdoor unit)
Warranty 1 Year on Parts / 5 Years on Compressor
Unit Features

Cooling & Heating Function
Highly Efficient (S.E.E.R. 13)
Dehumidification Function
Circulation Function
Digital Multifunction infrared Remote control
Intelligent control multifunction digital dynamic
LCD display (indoor unit)
Defrosting function (heat pump)
Clock Mode
Digital 24 Hour Timer
Sleep Mode
Automatic 3 Dimensional Dual Louver Air Flow
Remote Adjusted Double Louvers
Swing Double Louver Function
Auto Re-Start Function
3 Fan speed Selection
Multi-fold evaporator for faster cooling
Saw-teeth fan design for noise reduction

Installed these before and have seen too many problems. IMO there are a POS.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

So i have 2 1000w hps and a 400w mh in a 10x10x10 room. right now i have 10 plants vegging under 1 1000w hps and 400 mh. without the other 1000w even turned on my temps are in the low to high 80s.
i am now on my third a/c. first i got a 10,000 btu, then 11,000 now today 13,000 and still not really noticing much of a difference.
i have fresh air being pumped in and air being sucked out through a carbon filter and blower. and the hot air from the ac exhausting out as well.
what else can i do other than air cooling the lights?
im starting to notice some tacoing on the leaves and starting to look a little spindly.
thanks for the help

With unvented lights I use 6000 btus/ hr for each 1kw of lighting so you need 18k unit. Sounds like you are using portable a/c. If so is it a single hose for exhausting air or 2 hoses (1 for air to a/c and 1 for exhausting air)? If it's single hose it's wasting air it makes cool.

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

Installed these before and have seen too many problems. IMO there are a POS.

All I needed to hear Brother John!
Would a price of $700.00 change your outlook on there POS tendencies? I know he'll let them go for $5oo.oo to be honest!

But in all seriousness...even if the price is right...I DO NOT want a POS!

thanks for your time CJ

Bless up...Sol

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

With unvented lights I use 6000 btus/ hr for each 1kw of lighting so you need 18k unit. Sounds like you are using portable a/c. If so is it a single hose for exhausting air or 2 hoses (1 for air to a/c and 1 for exhausting air)? If it's single hose it's wasting air it makes cool.

So are you saying a single hose portable is a waste of $$. I picked up a 9000 btu to put in my basement. I have 2k hps in a 5x10 tent and 1k mh in a cab. The idea was to keep the ambient temps in basement outside of grow areas around 65, so the fresh air coming in would help w cooling. Lighting in both spaces is vented sharing an 8" CanFan HO. I tried exhausting my AC on the same duct, but w the AC in front of the fan it vents too much from AC and not enough from lights. If I put it behind it, it just forces hot air from lights down my AC vent, and then AC just blows hot air. I even tried putting a 6" Valuline fan behind the AC, and it still forced hot air out AC. I am thinking to change the configuration..
-put the 8" behind the AC, and the 6" in front of it (lights>6">AC>8">window)
Or
-have the 8" on lights only, and then port another 6" hole in window Im exhausting out of and slap a 6" booster fan on instead of 6" centrifugal

But..after reading your post..I wonder if the AC will serve its purpose or should I hang it up and try and get some outdoor in the ground till winter gets here?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

All I needed to hear Brother John!
Would a price of $700.00 change your outlook on there POS tendencies? I know he'll let them go for $5oo.oo to be honest!

But in all seriousness...even if the price is right...I DO NOT want a POS!

thanks for your time CJ

Bless up...Sol

I had problems. Is it used?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

So are you saying a single hose portable is a waste of $$. I picked up a 9000 btu to put in my basement. I have 2k hps in a 5x10 tent and 1k mh in a cab. The idea was to keep the ambient temps in basement outside of grow areas around 65, so the fresh air coming in would help w cooling. Lighting in both spaces is vented sharing an 8" CanFan HO. I tried exhausting my AC on the same duct, but w the AC in front of the fan it vents too much from AC and not enough from lights. If I put it behind it, it just forces hot air from lights down my AC vent, and then AC just blows hot air. I even tried putting a 6" Valuline fan behind the AC, and it still forced hot air out AC. I am thinking to change the configuration..
-put the 8" behind the AC, and the 6" in front of it (lights>6">AC>8">window)
Or
-have the 8" on lights only, and then port another 6" hole in window Im exhausting out of and slap a 6" booster fan on instead of 6" centrifugal

But..after reading your post..I wonder if the AC will serve its purpose or should I hang it up and try and get some outdoor in the ground till winter gets here?

Portable units never do what they claim. Use 2 fans and 2 separate ducts (1 to vent lights and 1 to vent a/c).

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Portable units never do what they claim. Use 2 fans and 2 separate ducts (1 to vent lights and 1 to vent a/c).

It was either a 9,000 BTU portable or a 5,000 BTU window that I would have to box in the rear and then vent out the window. Do you think the booster fan will be enough to help exhaust (says 240 cfm flow) or do I need the the 6" centrifugal? Centrifugal seemed like overkill.. The exhaust for AC will be <15'.

Thanks for your help, CJ.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

john,what are your thoughts on the newer LG units?I noticed they are coming out with some real high SEER units now.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

It was either a 9,000 BTU portable or a 5,000 BTU window that I would have to box in the rear and then vent out the window. Do you think the booster fan will be enough to help exhaust (says 240 cfm flow) or do I need the the 6" centrifugal? Centrifugal seemed like overkill.. The exhaust for AC will be <15'.

Thanks for your help, CJ.

Should work for 5000 btu unit but get one bigger for 9k unit (350-400 cfm).

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

john,what are your thoughts on the newer LG units?I noticed they are coming out with some real high SEER units now.

I have a 2 yr old 13 seer LG in my room that I am happy with. Wished I could have gotten a Mitsubishi anyway. But LG seems to be just fine.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Im with you on mitsu but was surprised at the lg units seer ratings.

M

MiDWeZ

Good Day M8. I had a couple quick questions for a grow I am putting together.. ive purchased everything but the cooling/vent sysytem because im stuck on what will be the best way to cool the rooms. The 2 rooms are 5 x 9 and have 2 1k watters in each on flip flop. Vertical so no hood, the room has some cheap insulation. should i buy an inline fan and exhast the hot air..the weather here is very hot. also i have a 24k btu mini split but how could i set it up to cool both rooms ?any help would be greatly apprecciated

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Good Day M8. I had a couple quick questions for a grow I am putting together.. ive purchased everything but the cooling/vent sysytem because im stuck on what will be the best way to cool the rooms. The 2 rooms are 5 x 9 and have 2 1k watters in each on flip flop. Vertical so no hood, the room has some cheap insulation. should i buy an inline fan and exhast the hot air..the weather here is very hot. also i have a 24k btu mini split but how could i set it up to cool both rooms ?any help would be greatly apprecciated

Do a lung room between rooms with a/c in there. Then use fans and ducts to cool each room.

evu80

evu80

hey guys

I've been looking to get two units of mini splits and wanted to know what kind of brand should I be looking at so I know which one to avoid like the plague. I've looked on thermospace and wanted to know if there are other places online or a physical store in North Cali that sells them at competitive prices.

so if i need roughly 48k btu should i get a single 4 ton unit or get 2 two ton units incase one fails and for even cooling since there are two handlers

Top Bottom