Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hello john. Im in nor cal and If I had a hvac pro set up a 5 ton ac at my industrial unit. ( my space has no fire sprinklers and I listed it as storage to avoid annual inspections) what kind of permits do I need to get for the install and what all do I need for that permit. Will i have to get inspections annually if i get an ac that size? Also what do you think is the best way of going about it? Building everything to code just incase someone comes knocking and just list as storage and no business to avoid an inspection? or just getting everything inspected as a "corral reef farm". Thanks a lot

Avoid permits just to install an a/c IMO.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

OK so I have my split, got my whip and fuse box will run that to a 25amp breaker. got a 15' line set. so the guy at the hvac supply say it must be vacuum purged after i connect it all up to get rid of air and water in the lines. last go i had crappy ass air-con minis and all i had to do with those was bleed the lines with a screw driver. I dont wanna fuck up this nice unit, quietside is basically samsung. got it for 275$ 160 for the line set and whip. I hate to be cheap, but man I got creamed before and had everything taken away. I have a hardline budget.

point is, i budgeted 500 for ac im at 435 now plus i need to run wires still. im at budget. guy said it would be 150 to come out to me. thats a security risk and puts me over. if its too ghetto to just bleed the lines (its not like im running 50' of copper) then ill take the risk and go over budget. other option is to wait for a low humidity day to do the connect.

took your advice on putting it outside the garage by the way. just gonna camouflage it as a tool shed or dog house with scrap wood and sound board on the neighbor side.

Any air left in system with shorten life of unit. If you vent it too much you could be short of refrigerant and it won't cool properly.

washburn4life

washburn4life

Could you run a water source A/C unit off a creek with a sump pump

The creek has a good flow year round and is 2-1/2' wide a foot deep maybe only 2' in winter

I would dump the hot water in the creek also... Is this a bad idea?

Those water source ac units are they a good option!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Could you run a water source A/C unit off a creek with a sump pump

The creek has a good flow year round and is 2-1/2' wide a foot deep maybe only 2' in winter

I would dump the hot water in the creek also... Is this a bad idea?

Those water source ac units are they a good option!

Depends on water temp. Would be best if it maintained 85F or below all year round and also water needs to be very clean. It can be cleaned on it's way to unit such as filters and strainers. Make hot water dumped downstream of cold intake. Also figure 2.5 gpm per ton of a/c.

washburn4life

washburn4life

Depends on water temp. Would be best if it maintained 85F or below all year round and also water needs to be very clean. It can be cleaned on it's way to unit such as filters and strainers. Make hot water dumped downstream of cold intake. Also figure 2.5 gpm per ton of a/c.
your the man!

K

kushtrees

Hey CJ

I have a fujitsu mini split compressor I think is over heating a little. At the peak heat of the day the Ac has been running for almost 10 hours with lights on so it is already hot and the heat outside isnt helping. About an hour before lights out the AC stops cooling for a little while, the temps go from 76 to 83 inside and the compressor fan slows down. About a half hour later the compressor is a little cooler, the fan speeds up and the temp is brought back down to around 76.

I am going to give the compressor a good cleaning with the hose after this run, since theres only a couple weeks left. I was wondering if there is anything I could do in the mean time to help the compressor stay cool and prevent any permanent damage to the system. It seems like it the system will not drastically overheat because it slows itself down a little, so I am hoping any serious or permanent damage will be avoided with its little cool down procedure.

I read to not take the hose to the compressor unless the AC is off which I could do at night, but I couldnt let it dry for 24 hours.

Any advice about what to do about this?

Should I call the HVAC guy after this run for maintenance? or can i wait till after another run and have it serviced in the summer (this was my original plan)

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey CJ

I have a fujitsu mini split compressor I think is over heating a little. At the peak heat of the day the Ac has been running for almost 10 hours with lights on so it is already hot and the heat outside isnt helping. About an hour before lights out the AC stops cooling for a little while, the temps go from 76 to 83 inside and the compressor fan slows down. About a half hour later the compressor is a little cooler, the fan speeds up and the temp is brought back down to around 76.

I am going to give the compressor a good cleaning with the hose after this run, since theres only a couple weeks left. I was wondering if there is anything I could do in the mean time to help the compressor stay cool and prevent any permanent damage to the system. It seems like it the system will not drastically overheat because it slows itself down a little, so I am hoping any serious or permanent damage will be avoided with its little cool down procedure.

I read to not take the hose to the compressor unless the AC is off which I could do at night, but I couldnt let it dry for 24 hours.

Any advice about what to do about this?

Should I call the HVAC guy after this run for maintenance? or can i wait till after another run and have it serviced in the summer (this was my original plan)

Get it checked out ASAP.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Hey john quick question, sorry I know I've read it in here somewhere I just can't find it now. I've been running a window Ac for my mothers an veg stuff letting it dump into my garage now that its warming up I'm going to build a box and exhaust it. How many cfms per ton did you recommend?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey john quick question, sorry I know I've read it in here somewhere I just can't find it now. I've been running a window Ac for my mothers an veg stuff letting it dump into my garage now that its warming up I'm going to build a box and exhaust it. How many cfms per ton did you recommend?

500 cfm per ton

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

John, need some guidance from ya. new to so cal, originally from the PNW... lot cooler up there (as far as temps;)) setting up a new grow. looking to run 2 flowering rooms on a flip, both sealed and air cooled hoods. gonna stick with (4) 600W's in each room for the most part, but with the capabilities of running 1k's here an there. Im looking at the Mitsubishi dual zone mini split rated at 30,000 btu.

heres the one
https://www.acwholesalers.com/cat1034/cat1034.ac?mainCat=cat1049&subCat=cat1037&trail=5206:15 + 15

also saw this one which rates each zone at 18,000 btu but the unit is labeled 28,600?
https://www.acwholesalers.com/Mitsubishi/MXZ-3B30NA-MSZ-FE18NA-MSZ-FE18NA-28600-BTU-17-5-SEER-Heat-Pump-I-SEE/19718.ac?catId=cat1034&mainCat=cat1049&subCat=cat1037&trail=5206:18 18

need to make the move before the heat starts setting in... my portables arent gonna make it!

never ran mini splits in grows, just came off a commercial which had a bad ass AC system. keepin it micro these days.
Z

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

John, need some guidance from ya. new to so cal, originally from the PNW... lot cooler up there (as far as temps;)) setting up a new grow. looking to run 2 flowering rooms on a flip, both sealed and air cooled hoods. gonna stick with (4) 600W's in each room for the most part, but with the capabilities of running 1k's here an there. Im looking at the Mitsubishi dual zone mini split rated at 30,000 btu.

heres the one
https://www.acwholesalers.com/cat1034/cat1034.ac?mainCat=cat1049&subCat=cat1037&trail=5206:15 + 15

also saw this one which rates each zone at 18,000 btu but the unit is labeled 28,600?
https://www.acwholesalers.com/Mitsubishi/MXZ-3B30NA-MSZ-FE18NA-MSZ-FE18NA-28600-BTU-17-5-SEER-Heat-Pump-I-SEE/19718.ac?catId=cat1034&mainCat=cat1049&subCat=cat1037&trail=5206:18 18

need to make the move before the heat starts setting in... my portables arent gonna make it!

never ran mini splits in grows, just came off a commercial which had a bad ass AC system. keepin it micro these days.
Z

The second one is rated that way because both indoor units are not expected to be on at same time. If both were on at full call for heat or cool they would only put out total btus per hr as outside unit is rated. With 15,000 units in each room you could cool up to 3700 watts with air cooling. I use 4000 btus/ hr per 1 kw for air cooled lights. So for your grow you could do a 24k unit with 2- 12k indoor units. May save your a few bucks or get 30k unit and add light later if wanted. BTW Mitsubishi is one of the best minis on the market( #1 IMO).

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

The second one is rated that way because both indoor units are not expected to be on at same time. If both were on at full call for heat or cool they would only put out total btus per hr as outside unit is rated. With 15,000 units in each room you could cool up to 3700 watts with air cooling. I use 4000 btus/ hr per 1 kw for air cooled lights. So for your grow you could do a 24k unit with 2- 12k indoor units. May save your a few bucks or get 30k unit and add light later if wanted. BTW Mitsubishi is one of the best minis on the market( #1 IMO).
Thanks man, got my eye in the mitsu 24k w/ two 12k wall mounts at the moment. Whats the difference on the type of zones? - wall mount, ceiling mount, and ceiling cassette?
Z

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks man, got my eye in the mitsu 24k w/ two 12k wall mounts at the moment. Whats the difference on the type of zones? - wall mount, ceiling mount, and ceiling cassette?
Z

Wall mount is easiest install and cheapest. All the ones I have installed are wall mount. The other 2 would force you to have access above ceiling for service. Stick with wall mount and get a pro install please.

whatthe215

whatthe215

hey John, thanks for being such a great open resource for people.

upgrading to two 12 light flip rooms, not sure if 600s or 1ks yet. thinking about setting up a multi evaporator system. would be a pro install with all the proper valves etc to make sure refrigerant is exchanged properly.. twinned evaporators. 4 or 5 ton split. just wondering what your thoughts on a system like this were.

i'll probably put 18kbtu window units in each room as well to take care of supplemental veg lighting and ambient day temps for the day-on flip room. summer day time temps can reach 110 and are consistently 95+ for awhile. rooms will be properly insulated as well, first floor, night-on room has the hot wall.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

hey John, thanks for being such a great open resource for people.

upgrading to two 12 light flip rooms, not sure if 600s or 1ks yet. thinking about setting up a multi evaporator system. would be a pro install with all the proper valves etc to make sure refrigerant is exchanged properly.. twinned evaporators. 4 or 5 ton split. just wondering what your thoughts on a system like this were.

i'll probably put 18kbtu window units in each room as well to take care of supplemental veg lighting and ambient day temps for the day-on flip room. summer day time temps can reach 110 and are consistently 95+ for awhile. rooms will be properly insulated as well, first floor, night-on room has the hot wall.

I would do a zoning system instead of 2 air handlers and 1 condensing unit. You would have 1 of each with electric dampers that switch air flow one room at a time. Might be a bit cheaper. I have never do a multizone unit above 3 tons (mini splits). What unit are you looking at? Excellent that you have lights out supplemental cooling. You will use it. What state are you in?

B

bakershredhead

Hey CJ I just ordered one of these units as I couldn't find a trustworthy hvac tech.. Hopefully it will work for awhile. Just wanted to let farmers know about these as they are comparable to what excel air sells. 30' precharged line with r410 and quick connects. You just need to buy a modular blower for the size of condensor you purchase. Cost me $3100 for a 4 ton with the blower and a honeywell 2 stage thermostat. It's not the most effiecient but it's a self install. I'll let farmers know how well it works in a few weeks. Hey Jon my experiment room that I constructed of panda plastic is what I'm installing the a/c in. It turned into more than experiment. Two lights went to four now I"ve got eight. I'm going to use the 4x8 pieces of insulation with the shiny backing. What gauge of thickness would be good? I live in the PNW and the rooms in a 3 bay shop.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey CJ I just ordered one of these units as I couldn't find a trustworthy hvac tech.. Hopefully it will work for awhile. Just wanted to let farmers know about these as they are comparable to what excel air sells. 30' precharged line with r410 and quick connects. You just need to buy a modular blower for the size of condensor you purchase. Cost me $3100 for a 4 ton with the blower and a honeywell 2 stage thermostat. It's not the most effiecient but it's a self install. I'll let farmers know how well it works in a few weeks. Hey Jon my experiment room that I constructed of panda plastic is what I'm installing the a/c in. It turned into more than experiment. Two lights went to four now I"ve got eight. I'm going to use the 4x8 pieces of insulation with the shiny backing. What gauge of thickness would be good? I live in the PNW and the rooms in a 3 bay shop.

Depends on your lowest and highest temps. Colder or the hotter temps will need more insulation. I would use R19 at the least.

Top Bottom