Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JahStone

How much pressure should I see on the meter when he checks it?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Its been installed about 2 weeks but I havent been using it. I had to finish building the room. I just now put a real load on it. I had a 600W running and couldnt kkep it in range. The AC guy told me I needed more load on it to prevent it from short cycling. I went out and spent $ on 1000W gear...

Best guess is that it was installed improperly and always had a leak. Your guy needs to get out there and fix it properly and free.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

How much pressure should I see on the meter when he checks it?

Depends on temperatures inside. If your guy is reasonable he will admit their mistake and fix it properly. To answer your question I would say 100-125 on low pressure gauge.

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Hey CJ, is it ok to put a wall mounted oscillating fan directly under my mini-split to move the cold air across the room? Fan is a ecoplus 16 inch set at low speed. It's a 12k btu idealaire. 8'x10' room. Much appreciated.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey CJ, is it ok to put a wall mounted oscillating fan directly under my mini-split to move the cold air across the room? Fan is a ecoplus 16 inch set at low speed. It's a 12k btu idealaire. 8'x10' room. Much appreciated.

Yes as long as fan does not bounce air off of another close wall right back at a/c unit.

J

JahStone

Dude bitched at me when he called me back. Saying he only made $250 and this bullshit has never happened before. Im the one whos got $2250 into a unit that doesnt work!
I put two ballasts above the AC mounted to the wall, but one edge is against the ceiling. They are running 240V and dont get very hot. Is that a bad place for my ballasts?
I once had my dehumidifier underneath a "precharged" mini split. The AC froze and blew water into the dehumidifier.... Id be careful with what equipment you put directly under the AC
Of course... Im #666... Thats the way shit has been going
Jah bless!

2013 10 03 13 41 52 896
J

JahStone

It was at around 120lbs of pressure. He cranked the connection a little bit, but said it wasnt leaking much if anything at all.
We put the lights on and it was cooling but then the compressor shut off. It keeps shutting off set all the way down to 70F so he set it to 65 and the compressor kept running. The room was pretty cool but my temp probes all said it was 85-90. I put my hand right there and it seemed cold as fuck.
Then we set it back to 75 and it shut off right away. We tried 70 and it wouldnt cool much.
He thinks the remote control isnt calibrated properly. Everything else is working properly.
The guy who sells him the units said the sensor is in the remote control. That doesnt seem to make much a difference where I place the remote control though....
He says Ill have a new control on Monday, if that doesnt fix it he says he doesnt know what he can do.
He added a bit of freon to get it up to 125lbs before he left.
I dont feel any more oil on the lines now.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

It was at around 120lbs of pressure. He cranked the connection a little bit, but said it wasnt leaking much if anything at all.
We put the lights on and it was cooling but then the compressor shut off. It keeps shutting off set all the way down to 70F so he set it to 65 and the compressor kept running. The room was pretty cool but my temp probes all said it was 85-90. I put my hand right there and it seemed cold as fuck.
Then we set it back to 75 and it shut off right away. We tried 70 and it wouldnt cool much.
He thinks the remote control isnt calibrated properly. Everything else is working properly.
The guy who sells him the units said the sensor is in the remote control. That doesnt seem to make much a difference where I place the remote control though....
He says Ill have a new control on Monday, if that doesnt fix it he says he doesnt know what he can do.
He added a bit of freon to get it up to 125lbs before he left.
I dont feel any more oil on the lines now.

He wiped the oil off. See if it reappears. This guy does not know what he is doing. The remote control DOES NOT have room sensor in it. The room sensor is in the indoor unit where warm air from room comes back to indoor unit. I need two temps. I need air discharge temp from indoor unit and I need the temp of air returning to unit. That temp is taken on top of indoor unit.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Dude bitched at me when he called me back. Saying he only made $250 and this bullshit has never happened before. Im the one whos got $2250 into a unit that doesnt work!
I put two ballasts above the AC mounted to the wall, but one edge is against the ceiling. They are running 240V and dont get very hot. Is that a bad place for my ballasts?
I once had my dehumidifier underneath a "precharged" mini split. The AC froze and blew water into the dehumidifier.... Id be careful with what equipment you put directly under the AC
Of course... Im #666... Thats the way shit has been going
Jah bless!

Then he needs to charge more and do it right the first time.

Twisted pleasure

Twisted pleasure

CJ thanks for the information. Great to have someone around to ask questions on HVAC

1) Can I ask what the difference is between a normal ac and a heat pump?

2) Ive seen these mini split with seer up to like 24? is that really allot of a difference from a standard 13 seer normal house unit? I know Lenox leads the industry with energy savings with incorporating same technology with powering down the fan and compressor to save on draw. After the unit catches up.

Im just curious cause right now I have a 30,000 btu rhud 13 seer thats running 24/7 right now. Could I replace that with two 24 seer and get some off time (cause they would catch up) and save on almost double the seer?

Thanks for your time.

J

JahStone

Hes an old friend that I lost touch with for a couple of years. I only contacted him again because my last AC blew out... It was one of those shitboxes from a hydro store that you can install yourself.
At 65 it was too cold to do the test... sorry, Im from LA.
When I had it set at 70 return temps were around 72 and air coming out was 65, then I think the compressor shut down and output went back to 70ish and the return air was stuck at 75F.
When I turned it up to 75 the return temp went to 80 before it started cooling again, so it looks like it kicked back on, but let it get 90F at cannopy level first and then didnt cool it enough to bring the canopy back to normal.

J

JahStone

I think I have at least 2 issues. The accuracy of the Caliber IV digital hygrometers for these types of tests and the calibration of the setpoints on the AC.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

CJ thanks for the information. Great to have someone around to ask questions on HVAC

1) Can I ask what the difference is between a normal ac and a heat pump?

2) Ive seen these mini split with seer up to like 24? is that really allot of a difference from a standard 13 seer normal house unit? I know Lenox leads the industry with energy savings with incorporating same technology with powering down the fan and compressor to save on draw. After the unit catches up.

Im just curious cause right now I have a 30,000 btu rhud 13 seer thats running 24/7 right now. Could I replace that with two 24 seer and get some off time (cause they would catch up) and save on almost double the seer?

Thanks for your time.

1) heat pump uses the compressor for heating also. It sends hot refrigerant indoors and cold refrigerant to outside when heating.

2) In short do it. It will save you money.

Twisted pleasure

Twisted pleasure

1) heat pump uses the compressor for heating also. It sends hot refrigerant indoors and cold refrigerant to outside when heating.

2) In short do it. It will save you money.

Ok thanks what about just doing one of the dual zone?

So its either Mitsubishi,Fujitsu, or LG any other brands u recommend?

Man must be nice to have u local Take u out for a steak dinner...ur one cool kat thanks CJ

J

JahStone

So I put on a sweatshirt and did the test on 65. The return air was 72.5 and the compressor kept on cooling...
Theres no new oily shit on the lines outside.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Ok thanks what about just doing one of the dual zone?

So its either Mitsubishi,Fujitsu, or LG any other brands u recommend?

Man must be nice to have u local Take u out for a steak dinner...ur one cool kat thanks CJ

Could do a dual zone. Those three are my favorites.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I do the same thing, my man... Just put an 18" standing fan on a shelf so it sits just under the A/C's output, seems to work great.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Hey Big Johnny,

I'm running 6Kw in a 10'x12', 4 wall fans, CO2 burner and at times a De-huey but my ballasts are out. Will a 2 ton mini split handle them if I stop venting?

I know the equation and it's borderline but I'd like your opinion.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey Big Johnny,

I'm running 6Kw in a 10'x12', 4 wall fans, CO2 burner and at times a De-huey but my ballasts are out. Will a 2 ton mini split handle them if I stop venting?

I know the equation and it's borderline but I'd like your opinion.

In most cases yes. This assumes good insulation, minimal fresh air into room, and outside weather. I doubt you will make it all the time. I like a 3ton for your op. Try it 2 lights at a time maybe and see where you get.

P

Peacegrowers

First of all thank you all for your input, I have been getting allot of new info in this forum. I'm getting all my materials this week to start building my grow room which actualy is a complete bedroom, all my materials are being shipped from the US and I will be getting them by Thursday, I live in Aruba and it is summer the whole year round, so I bought a 18000 BTU inverter, that will have to cool a 14 feet by 13 feet room with 5 600 watt HPS (Gavita) light(1140 cfm Vortex exhaust fan). But I am wondering for a couple of days already about 1 issue that I haven't heard anybody talking or posting about and that is: I want my hps lights to go on from 7:00 pm till 7:00 am when I'm going into flower. For the vedge I have 3 4x8 T5 each 400 watt+ so vedging would not give me heat problems, but now this is my

QUESTION:
If my lights go off at 7:00 am I know that temp will drop if I turn my AC off at the same time the lights go out, will this affect my plants, what I'm trying to say is that it will be night time for the plants when it is daytime for us, because rightnow in Aruba the temp today is at 91.4F at daytime, room is completely sealed though, I'm thinking that maybe the outside heat can bring temp up in the room after a couple of hours, not that it will be hot in the room, but what I want to say is, that if it is a must for the plants that night time temp must be lower than day time temps?
Will this have an ill effect on them?
Has one of you guys dealth with the same situation? I will have ventilators working when lights are on or off to keep airflow. And I can't change the schedule, what's day time for us must be reversed into night time for the plants.

I hope you guys understand wat I'm trying to say o_O !!

Top Bottom