Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks for the quick response CJ..:cool:..You said " those type of units", do you mean mini splits in general or the precharged type?..here's the thing, if it doesn't need vacuuming the line/sys , then no AC tech needed, b/c loose lips sink ships savy!..If it does in fact need a vacuum test, then I will definitely get er done.. I'm a sparky by trade and can do everything else, just not going to purchase the tools needed when an AC guy(trust worthy) has all the right gear for specific needs..
Thanks again!..

The precharged units. They are not supposed to need evacuating. Good luck

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

hey cannabis john,

i was looking at the friedrich mini splits and saw they are pre charged for 66ft of lineset. i was going to install with one of my friends that have done them before so vacuuming the line is no problem but we werent planning on messing with the refrigerant.

if i got the unit would i be able to take it somewhere to have them take some freon out of it so i could install it with a 30ft lineset? or is that not a reasonable endeavor?

thanks for the help!

CJ,

question in regards to vacuum pumps. I need to get one to degas butane from my bho. I'll be getting a mini-split in the late spring that will require a longer line set. what cfm and to what micron would you recommend? I was looking at either a 3-5 cfm, possibly 2 stage, with a 50 micron rating.

Thank you!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

hey cannabis john,

i was looking at the friedrich mini splits and saw they are pre charged for 66ft of lineset. i was going to install with one of my friends that have done them before so vacuuming the line is no problem but we werent planning on messing with the refrigerant.

if i got the unit would i be able to take it somewhere to have them take some freon out of it so i could install it with a 30ft lineset? or is that not a reasonable endeavor?

thanks for the help!

Removing freon is a huge problem but don't worry. It says UP TO 66 ft so you don't need to remove any.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

CJ,

question in regards to vacuum pumps. I need to get one to degas butane from my bho. I'll be getting a mini-split in the late spring that will require a longer line set. what cfm and to what micron would you recommend? I was looking at either a 3-5 cfm, possibly 2 stage, with a 50 micron rating.

Thank you!

Have you done this before? I haven't but can tell you a 2 stage is quicker for evacuation than single stage. I wouldn't use the butane one on anything else but butane. At the very least make sure you change the oil EVERY time.

M

meg0tnutz

The precharged units. They are not supposed to need evacuating. Good luck

Hey CJ thanks again man!..Purchased the unit and wouldn't you know it, it does indeed need evacuating..I guess even the precharged type needs evacuating..
FYI, it is the AURA mini split...Thanks , and keep up da good work!..

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey CJ thanks again man!..Purchased the unit and wouldn't you know it, it does indeed need evacuating..I guess even the precharged type needs evacuating..

Yes because all minis are precharged with freon in outdoor unit not with sealed and charged line sets.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Hey John. What type of regular maintenance do you suggest for mini splits to keep them running in tip top shape?

F

fasteddy0

The Aura mini splits are pre charged but, they are not DIY. So as you obviously know now that the lineset has to be evacuated. I think that this is a common misconception because they are marketed to growers and distributed through Hydrofarm, and people do not think that an HVAC tech is needed. The actual DIY mini splits have line sets that have already been evacuated. I have also known a few people that have had some issues with getting these DIY units not cooling correctly out of the box, and needing an HVAC tech to them to charge them, as they had low freon levels upon installation.

M

meg0tnutz

The unit is DIY enough for my needs, but the tech will evacuate the lineset..And you're right, I don't like how the industry misleads consumers..They claim ' precharged lineset, however it still needs evacuating. I was under the impression that one needs to evacuate prior to precharging..Which is exactly why I asked in the first place..
I definitely want to make sure it gets done correctly..

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

The unit is DIY enough for my needs, but the tech will evacuate the lineset..And you're right, I don't like how the industry misleads consumers..They claim ' precharged lineset, however it still needs evacuating. I was under the impression that one needs to evacuate prior to precharging..Which is exactly why I asked in the first place..
I definitely want to make sure it gets done correctly..

Parts of this industry is as bad as the feds for screwing the growers.

kushjunkie

kushjunkie

Hey CJ-

Got my mini split up and running no problem. My question is whether the line fittings should be retightened after after the first few weeks of in initial use. Its seems that the line temp swings up and down. I was concerned this may cause some loosening of the fittings due to expansion and contraction of the metal. I don't want leaks!!

Thanks!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Did you evacuate the lines? Do you have an inverter style mini? I always secure my fittings with Leak Lock (too late for you). This is part of the reasons why I don't consider a mini split install DYI. Also is line set longer than what unit was initially charged for? All these factors could and will affect your line temps.

kushjunkie

kushjunkie

Did you evacuate the lines? Do you have an inverter style mini? I always secure my fittings with Leak Lock (too late for you). This is part of the reasons why I don't consider a mini split install DYI. Also is line set longer than what unit was initially charged for? All these factors could and will affect your line temps.

Yep, vacc'd the lines. Then pressurized with nitrogen and checked for leaks and psi loss. Then vacc'd the lines again w/ micron gauge and released refrigerant.

Unit was charged for same as lineset length.

Was just curious, this seemed like something that could naturally happen over time.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Yep, vacc'd the lines. Then pressurized with nitrogen and checked for leaks and psi loss. Then vacc'd the lines again w/ micron gauge and released refrigerant.

Unit was charged for same as lineset length.

Was just curious, this seemed like something that could naturally happen over time.

It could happen. That's why I use leak lock. So check them but don't overtighten. Also check for leaks with soap and water solution. Make sure you watch it for a few minutes cause small leaks take a while to show bubbles. Your lines will change temps if you have an inverter type mini (as compressor slows down or speeds up). That's why I asked if it's an inverter style unit.

kushjunkie

kushjunkie

Thanks! Yeah, inverter type...

Bought an Aura Systems 36,000 btu. Not sure why I went with this over the big brands, maybe ease of purchase at hydro shop. Either way, I'm psyched to have gotten my feet wet. Mini-splits are clearly the way to go, and I know I'll want to install more in the future.

J

jabronie

Hey CannabisJohn, heard a lot of good stuff about the old thread too bad it's gone, but grateful you're still helping out.

I'm planning a new grow in a 12x12 room with high ceilings (11') in SoCal. Room is well insulated with one outside east facing wall shaded by neighbor's big ass house - room stays cool in the summer without the central A/C.

Planning 4 x 600w bare, T5 flourescents, fans, and misc. hydro eq.

I have an LG 22k BTU mini split - would this suffice to cool the room?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

hey johnnie,Do you buy a premade lineset when you do an install or do you make them onsite?My lineset runs are less than 10' and im not sure they even make them that short,definitely easy to just coil the excess up by compressors but not as clean.Is there an advantage to having a certain amount of lineset?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey CannabisJohn, heard a lot of good stuff about the old thread too bad it's gone, but grateful you're still helping out.

I'm planning a new grow in a 12x12 room with high ceilings (11') in SoCal. Room is well insulated with one outside east facing wall shaded by neighbor's big ass house - room stays cool in the summer without the central A/C.

Planning 4 x 600w bare, T5 flourescents, fans, and misc. hydro eq.

I have an LG 22k BTU mini split - would this suffice to cool the room?

That should be more than enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom