Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

boom21

Why would it make a difference? Was it lowering your humidity more so w the handler in the room? The ducting may have been restricting air flow thus reducing cooling/dehumidification

Its fluctuating my Humidity from 40%-70% roughly. When the lights cut on and the AC starts flowing the humidity drops pretty quickly. I had these same AC in a different place with the air handlers ducted in and didn't have this much fluctuation. I was just putting it out there to see if anyone else has encountered this problem.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Hey guys I have 3 MrCool 24k DIY units to install and I have some questions about wiring the units. The installation manual isn't very thorough with the electrical side of things. Should I use s/o cord or seal tight? The units have over current protection built in so do I still need a disconnect or can I just run it straight to the breaker?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Hey guys I have 3 MrCool 24k DIY units to install and I have some questions about wiring the units. The installation manual isn't very thorough with the electrical side of things. Should I use s/o cord or seal tight? The units have over current protection built in so do I still need a disconnect or can I just run it straight to the breaker?

I run mine straight to the breaker but it's not up to code. You need an outdoor disconnect to have everything on the up and up. I didn't realize this until after the install when I was driving around and every single mini split I saw had a disconnect...

It should say the maximum fuse amperage. Just make sure to use thhn single-strand wire, and make sure the ground is jacketed as well.

You're right about the instructions being janky, though.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
I run mine straight to the breaker but it's not up to code. You need an outdoor disconnect to have everything on the up and up. I didn't realize this until after the install when I was driving around and every single mini split I saw had a disconnect...

It should say the maximum fuse amperage. Just make sure to use thhn single-strand wire, and make sure the ground is jacketed as well.

You're right about the instructions being janky, though.

Awesome thanks for the feedback Savage... I had a feeling I was going to need a disconnect for the install.

On the tag it says full load is 11.5 but min circuit ampacity 15 amps and max fuse 25 amps. This confuses me slightly as well…

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

No problem, boss. Mine said max 20amp, so I run it on a 2 pole 20 amp breaker.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Currently looking for an hvac tech near PDX who knows water-cooled systems, Surna/HI/etc.

J

jsteezy

Looking for help on this design: Anyone experienced in HVAC feel free to chime in.

I've got a 2.5k room in a 12x9 and a 4k room in a 18x10 in my basement. In between the two rooms is a lung room which also has our gas water heater and furnace. I haven't taken the measurements of this space 10in and 8in exhausts were causing our appliances to go out, so we cut some intakes for combustion air. They now stay lit, however the water heater is backdrafting, especially when its too cold out. I am now at wits end and our temps are high as it is. I am thinking about installing a minisplit in the lung room, and having active intakes into the grow room in a similar fashion to DonJuanMatus, but using the lung room as my cooling supply instead of outdoor air. The active intakes would cause negative pressure in the lungroom, but positive pressure in the grow rooms, causing the air in the grow rooms to get pushed back into the lung room and mix with the cool air in the lung room before getting sucked back in to the grow space. Now, I still have those passive intakes we cut for the water heater and furnace... I assume the negative pressure will still pull fresh air from upstairs through these, but since its under negative pressure in the basement it will keep our smell from leaking upstairs? I'd say the lung room is probably 35-50% of our basement, and the two grow spaces take up the rest. 2500cf of grow space and approx 2000cf of lung room or more. I'd go with 24000 btu in the lung room... Main concern is water heater back draft. will the positive pressure causing passive exhaust BACK into the lung room neutralize the negative pressure in the lung room and solve our water heater back draft? I turned the exhaust off and left the active intakes on, it made positive pressure and pushes air back into the lung room so I feel like our water heater will work under this condition?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Looking for help on this design: Anyone experienced in HVAC feel free to chime in.

I've got a 2.5k room in a 12x9 and a 4k room in a 18x10 in my basement. In between the two rooms is a lung room which also has our gas water heater and furnace. I haven't taken the measurements of this space 10in and 8in exhausts were causing our appliances to go out, so we cut some intakes for combustion air. They now stay lit, however the water heater is backdrafting, especially when its too cold out. I am now at wits end and our temps are high as it is. I am thinking about installing a minisplit in the lung room, and having active intakes into the grow room in a similar fashion to DonJuanMatus, but using the lung room as my cooling supply instead of outdoor air. The active intakes would cause negative pressure in the lungroom, but positive pressure in the grow rooms, causing the air in the grow rooms to get pushed back into the lung room and mix with the cool air in the lung room before getting sucked back in to the grow space. Now, I still have those passive intakes we cut for the water heater and furnace... I assume the negative pressure will still pull fresh air from upstairs through these, but since its under negative pressure in the basement it will keep our smell from leaking upstairs? I'd say the lung room is probably 35-50% of our basement, and the two grow spaces take up the rest. 2500cf of grow space and approx 2000cf of lung room or more. I'd go with 24000 btu in the lung room... Main concern is water heater back draft. will the positive pressure causing passive exhaust BACK into the lung room neutralize the negative pressure in the lung room and solve our water heater back draft? I turned the exhaust off and left the active intakes on, it made positive pressure and pushes air back into the lung room so I feel like our water heater will work under this condition?

Check your PMs. I feel the safest thing is not to have a lung room with gas appliances in it. I dont want you to die from CO poisoning. Please get rid of lung room and install 2 mini splits or one big convential split system that is zoned to run both rooms.

J

jsteezy

Posting here so others can perhaps benefit from this. Be aware of gas appliances in your grow space and design for it!! Or be prepared to learn the hard way! Sometimes learning the hard way is best, though. I now have a new understanding for gas appliances and how they work.

CJ, if I did not have the appliances in the lung room, would this be a suitable design? Theoretically, the constant exchange of air between lung room and grow space would equalize and provide a consistent environment in both the lung room and grow space.

Thanks again for gracing the forums with your knowledge.

Last edited:
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Posting here so others can perhaps benefit from this. Be aware of gas appliances in your grow space and design for it!! Or be prepared to learn the hard way! Sometimes learning the hard way is best, though. I now have a new understanding for gas appliances and how they work.

CJ, if I did not have the appliances in the lung room, would this be a suitable design? Theoretically, the constant exchange of air between lung room and grow space would equalize and provide a consistent environment in both the lung room and grow space.

Thanks again for gracing the forums with your knowledge.

Lung rooms work if done correctly. I recommend having supply and exhaust to each room that are same size fans.

Nybadboy

Nybadboy

Hi guys can anyone recommend or give me a idea other then fans and a/c to get air flow through my room I'm on very minimal funds and don't have any tubing through my grow room (I'm even embarrassed to post this) but things look great everyone says from my pictures ..
Any ideas until my first run is done and I can afford the things that really make a difference

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi guys can anyone recommend or give me a idea other then fans and a/c to get air flow through my room I'm on very minimal funds and don't have any tubing through my grow room (I'm even embarrassed to post this) but things look great everyone says from my pictures ..
Any ideas until my first run is done and I can afford the things that really make a difference

Need fan at least. Something has to move the air.

NE Gardens

NE Gardens

Quick question - I'm trying to select an integrated 3-phase HVAC system that fulfills two requirements:
1. Large amount of latent cooling (dehumidification)
2. Programmable day/night settings

For example, I'd like to be able to set it like this:
Day 6am-6pm: 85 degrees, 75% RH (dehumidification barely run, if at all)
Night 6pm-6am: 80 degrees, 50% RH

I have found units that fulfill the first requirement, one being the york predator units w/ MagnaDry - 3 phase, 5 tons and up, does about 4 gallons per hour of dehumidification. However, as I understand it, this unit can't be programmed for separate day and night temp/rh settings.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Quick question - I'm trying to select an integrated 3-phase HVAC system that fulfills two requirements:
1. Large amount of latent cooling (dehumidification)
2. Programmable day/night settings

For example, I'd like to be able to set it like this:
Day 6am-6pm: 85 degrees, 75% RH (dehumidification barely run, if at all)
Night 6pm-6am: 80 degrees, 50% RH

I have found units that fulfill the first requirement, one being the york predator units w/ MagnaDry - 3 phase, 5 tons and up, does about 4 gallons per hour of dehumidification. However, as I understand it, this unit can't be programmed for separate day and night temp/rh settings.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Programming should be done thru tstat and humidstat not unit. I would not combine the two in one unit. I would get separate a/c and dehuey. If one breaks down you don't lose both functions. Also if that's a package unit I would avoid due to smell leakage on roof. Use split systems. Just my thoughts.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Programming should be done thru tstat and humidstat not unit. I would not combine the two in one unit. I would get separate a/c and dehuey. If one breaks down you don't lose both functions. Also if that's a package unit I would avoid due to smell leakage on roof. Use split systems. Just my thoughts.
Cannabis John,
Building a new grow bigger then I usually do. Rooms will be 12x40 at 14 feet tal. there will be 18 phantom DE. ballasts will be outside the room roughly 36 flowering plants. Commercial dehumidification, rooms are completely sealed so as to run co2. I want to drop the temps to 65-68 at week 6 until harvest. What would you suggest for tonnage on a single package unit. If I decide to go with splits what would you suggest the application to properly cool. Everything will be installed at ground level.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Cannabis John,
Building a new grow bigger then I usually do. Rooms will be 12x40 at 14 feet tal. there will be 18 phantom DE. ballasts will be outside the room roughly 36 flowering plants. Commercial dehumidification, rooms are completely sealed so as to run co2. I want to drop the temps to 65-68 at week 6 until harvest. What would you suggest for tonnage on a single package unit. If I decide to go with splits what would you suggest the application to properly cool. Everything will be installed at ground level.

No package units. Smell escapes thru unit. Do 2- 5 ton splits with air handlers in room.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
No package units. Smell escapes thru unit. Do 2- 5 ton splits with air handlers in room.
Thanks, I'm in Oregon building a legal grow, smell is not much of a concern. do the splits save money in energy costs over the package units? I do like the fact if one split fails there is a backup. Are there any other advantages splits have over package units.

Latest posts

Top Bottom