Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Howdy John,

A few years back i took your advice on other threads and bought a few of the 2 ton Mitsubishi M series mini split, I love them they work GREAT here during the winter months in Michigan, it works below zero which crazy as it may seem, I ran it all winter.
The only drawback was setting the weekly timer, pain in the azz. If only there were a way to hook it up to my Sentinel CHHC-4.
Well I am building a place for a friend and wondered if there is anything similar to this Mitsubishi mini split that can be more friendly with controllers like a night day temp control or a thermostat that can be remotely controlled? Perhaps Fujitsu? Or should i stick with the ones I know work?
I have my contractor working on pricing for me on these same units, I wanted a 2 Ton dual zone but he said they don't make a dual zone that is M series, one that ill run in the cold down to zero. The dual one he said they have would only work down to 20-30 degrees.

Any thoughts on cooling two 10x10 rooms with 4k watts on a flip and a dehumidifier in each? Whats your thoughts on air cooled hoods in sealed rooms?

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate all your postings, I have read many over the course of the past several years and here you are still helping those that ask.

Wish you lived closer I would have you do the work.

Chuck

Mitsubishi makes a remote programmable tstat for their stuff. Your guy should know this. Also I think you can get a low ambient control to allow you to cool with lower outdoor temps. Also could get P series Mitsubishi but it is about twice the price.

C

Chuckleberry

Actually John I found out today the two I have are P series and the multi unit ones are the M series, I had them mixed up.
When we installed these a few years ago they didnt have much new technology just the wirelss remote and the add on wall thermostat thats a pain to program.
He mentioned today there were a few new ways to program these.

Thanks again for your time.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Actually John I found out today the two I have are P series and the multi unit ones are the M series, I had them mixed up.
When we installed these a few years ago they didnt have much new technology just the wirelss remote and the add on wall thermostat thats a pain to program.
He mentioned today there were a few new ways to program these.

Thanks again for your time.

M series can cool to only 14F outside. Have ur guy check and see if they can go lower with an additional low ambient control.

bibbles

bibbles

I'm putting together a 4k room, uncooled DE lamps, I figured that a 25k window unit would be easy enough, but then I measured my windows, and they're only 20" wide. A mini-split isn't possible, I'm done with the portable thing as I'm going sealed, and I don't like the idea of using a window AC with a plenum; however, I did run across some window ACs specifically for horizontal sliding windows: http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA123KT1-Casement-Conditioner-Full-Function/dp/B003GZQ15Y

I haven't found any larger than 12k, but as the window opens on either side, with a solid portion in the center, couldn't I get away with two 12k unites? It's a little less cooling, but would provide better coverage as they'd be at opposite ends of the room, albeit along a single wall. Visibility isn't really an issue, though any better ideas would be loved! :D

EDIT: While we're at it, the room is 11'x12', they would be along a 12' side; where would be a good place to put the circulation fans? Opposite wall, side walls, one one each of the three? Also, I was planning on running the lights and 25k AC on a single 50amp circuit at 240, but these are 120, so double the amperage; would I be better off running two 30amp circuits at 120 and 240 respectively? The only other power draw will be (120) a 7w air pump, a Can-Fan 8" Pro Series (1.58amps), and 2-3 circulation fans (0.5amps/ea?).

This part of the question might be better suited to the electrical thread, but hey, I'm here now.

Last edited:
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I'm putting together a 4k room, uncooled DE lamps, I figured that a 25k window unit would be easy enough, but then I measured my windows, and they're only 20" wide. A mini-split isn't possible, I'm done with the portable thing as I'm going sealed, and I don't like the idea of using a window AC with a plenum; however, I did run across some window ACs specifically for horizontal sliding windows: http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA123KT1-Casement-Conditioner-Full-Function/dp/B003GZQ15Y

I haven't found any larger than 12k, but as the window opens on either side, with a solid portion in the center, couldn't I get away with two 12k unites? It's a little less cooling, but would provide better coverage as they'd be at opposite ends of the room, albeit along a single wall. Visibility isn't really an issue, though any better ideas would be loved! :D

EDIT: While we're at it, the room is 11'x12', they would be along a 12' side; where would be a good place to put the circulation fans? Opposite wall, side walls, one one each of the three? Also, I was planning on running the lights and 25k AC on a single 50amp circuit at 240, but these are 120, so double the amperage; would I be better off running two 30amp circuits at 120 and 240 respectively? The only other power draw will be (120) a 7w air pump, a Can-Fan 8" Pro Series (1.58amps), and 2-3 circulation fans (0.5amps/ea?).

This part of the question might be better suited to the electrical thread, but hey, I'm here now.

Run separate ckts. 24k should be great for 4 lights. Fans on all 3 walls. Maybe even 2 fans per wall if your budget and electrical can support it.

bibbles

bibbles

Run separate ckts. 24k should be great for 4 lights. Fans on all 3 walls. Maybe even 2 fans per wall if your budget and electrical can support it.
You wound't bother putting a fan on the same wall as the AC units (or did you mean eight total)? Thanks!

EDIT: The brands available (12,000 btu) appear to be Frigidaire, Comfort Aire, Kenmore, Soleus, and Arctic King, any winners or losers to be aware of? I was leaning toward Frigidaire as stores haven't started stocking them, but Amazon Prime has my back, and will probably do overnight replacements three years after purchase (did with my portable).

For those curious, "the implied warranty of merchantability" are real magic words.

Last edited:
bibbles

bibbles

Hm, that's an exaggeration, it was two years after, but the third next-day replacement, all of which were outside of the 30 day window; warranteeing would have taken weeks.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

You wound't bother putting a fan on the same wall as the AC units (or did you mean eight total)? Thanks!

EDIT: The brands available (12,000 btu) appear to be Frigidaire, Comfort Aire, Kenmore, Soleus, and Arctic King, any winners or losers to be aware of? I was leaning toward Frigidaire as stores haven't started stocking them, but Amazon Prime has my back, and will probably do overnight replacements three years after purchase (did with my portable).

For those curious, "the implied warranty of merchantability" are real magic words.

Stick with Frigidaire. Avoid Soleus like the plague. Fans on wall with a/c are not really needed. The a/c fan will start moving from that wall. The rest of the fans will circulate it.

gumby420

gumby420

hey john, i just installed 2 more 1000s today making a total of 4 1000s. plus two vertical 400 watts. the 12000 btu mr slim is at 90 and doesnt seem to be pumping out air like it first did. what sort of maintenance should i look into? its been running straight since you installed it. or do you think that we might need more btu? thanks
edit: the 4 1000s are all air cooled 8", the two 400s are not

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

hey john, i just installed 2 more 1000s today making a total of 4 1000s. plus two vertical 400 watts. the 12000 btu mr slim is at 90 and doesnt seem to be pumping out air like it first did. what sort of maintenance should i look into? its been running straight since you installed it. or do you think that we might need more btu? thanks
edit: the 4 1000s are all air cooled 8", the two 400s are not

Most likely need more a/c. I would recommend at least 6-12,000 more. Check the filters and shut it down for a minute when lights are out and check cleanliness of blower wheel thru vanes. Was it working fine before the additional lights? Refresh my memory where are u again? You can PM me if would like to do so.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Found a good deal on two 5 ton goodman split AC's, do these come pre charged like minis? it says they do online, I just wanted to make sure before dropping the coin. I have a cousin who can do the install hes just not licensed in cali to buy refrigerant.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Found a good deal on two 5 ton goodman split AC's, do these come pre charged like minis? it says they do online, I just wanted to make sure before dropping the coin. I have a cousin who can do the install hes just not licensed in cali to buy refrigerant.

The outdoor unit does have some refrigerant in them. But the line sets are not. You must have them professionally installed. BTW Goodman is junk. Stay away from it. IMHO they are amount the worst brands. You have much better options for a bit more.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Thanks john, thanks for the heads up. I talked to my cousin and he recommended york splits. Said it was the best bang for my buck. Damn that sucks the lines arent pre charged, the hardest part of all this for me is letting a virtual stranger in to install, and I really dont want to spend twice as much buying 4 mini splits.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks john, thanks for the heads up. I talked to my cousin and he recommended york splits. Said it was the best bang for my buck. Damn that sucks the lines arent pre charged, the hardest part of all this for me is letting a virtual stranger in to install, and I really dont want to spend twice as much buying 4 mini splits.

Precharged does not mean DYI. Only a few manufacturers make DYI minis. IMO those units are total junk. Unless line sets are sealed and precharged the units aren't DYI.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

What's good cannabisjohn question I want to buy a LG 30,000btu for 4800watt bare bulb setup. What do you think it's rated for 18seer
30,000 / 32,000 BTU 18 SEER Heat and Cool Mini Split Air Conditioner w/ Advanced Inverter TechnologyLG BRAND LS307HV3(W/Remote Control)

COOL AND HEAT/ DEHUMIDIFICATION / AIR PURIFICATION
Or is the Mr Slim better with 31,000btu with 14.5seer
Also with the condenser with smell come out like a window banger? I'm trying to find out how many kilowatts does a unit like this draw a month for a grow room? Thanks once again

21st Century

21st Century

Hi, I have a question for Cannabis John and figured it would contribute to the blog in hopes it may help someone else with the unit I have, which are the Gree Terra Mini Split 9,000 BTU, 27 SEER and they have Mitsubishi compressors with a great amount of options for a really affordable price in comparison to other mini splits, especially the Mr Slim Mitsubishi series, which I was seriously considering until my research came across these Gree's and at 27 SEER, I was really impressed. They also have a lot of great reviews from owners. I have a 11x13x10 room with (2) 1000 HPS lights and 4 induction lights with LED's all hybridized together. I also run hydro with chillers, which helps with keeping the room cool. This unit is the perfect size for me. I have a good friend who has helped me with everything so far & is a licensed General Contractor and hiring a pro HVAC tech is not really an option for security reasons, I live in another state than John does unfortunately and even though my state is a medical state and I have legal grow, I do not want any person here that I do not know. My GC friend and I can do this install if we are told what tools to buy or rent and how to evacuate the lines properly. I would even pay someone like Cannabis John to do a Video Phone consultation for his time and expertise when it came to that part of it. I can hold the phone and do the relaying of the work to my GC friend, while you watch what we are doing for example. I'd even buy or rent the tools for the job you tell us to get. If we can do this install with your help like this, then I would have at least one more job for you at the same house in the same manner, via video consulting us on our HVAC install, but I want to put a Gree Evo+ Quad Unit into the rest of the house. These unit are going to be roof mounted on a flat roof of a U shaped adobe house. They are precharged for 25' from what I found online. I also have a question of cutting or coiling any excess line, what is your opinion on that, John? Thank you for your time and have a dank day!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

What's good cannabisjohn question I want to buy a LG 30,000btu for 4800watt bare bulb setup. What do you think it's rated for 18seer
30,000 / 32,000 BTU 18 SEER Heat and Cool Mini Split Air Conditioner w/ Advanced Inverter TechnologyLG BRAND LS307HV3(W/Remote Control)

COOL AND HEAT/ DEHUMIDIFICATION / AIR PURIFICATION
Or is the Mr Slim better with 31,000btu with 14.5seer
Also with the condenser with smell come out like a window banger? I'm trying to find out how many kilowatts does a unit like this draw a month for a grow room? Thanks once again

No smell cause air handler inside room just recirculates air within the room. Mini split is 2 separate pieces. One for indoor and one for outdoor connecting by wiring and copper piping. Either unit is good. Mr Slim is a bit better. But LG is more energy efficient.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi, I have a question for Cannabis John and figured it would contribute to the blog in hopes it may help someone else with the unit I have, which are the Gree Terra Mini Split 9,000 BTU, 27 SEER and they have Mitsubishi compressors with a great amount of options for a really affordable price in comparison to other mini splits, especially the Mr Slim Mitsubishi series, which I was seriously considering until my research came across these Gree's and at 27 SEER, I was really impressed. They also have a lot of great reviews from owners. I have a 11x13x10 room with (2) 1000 HPS lights and 4 induction lights with LED's all hybridized together. I also run hydro with chillers, which helps with keeping the room cool. This unit is the perfect size for me. I have a good friend who has helped me with everything so far & is a licensed General Contractor and hiring a pro HVAC tech is not really an option for security reasons, I live in another state than John does unfortunately and even though my state is a medical state and I have legal grow, I do not want any person here that I do not know. My GC friend and I can do this install if we are told what tools to buy or rent and how to evacuate the lines properly. I would even pay someone like Cannabis John to do a Video Phone consultation for his time and expertise when it came to that part of it. I can hold the phone and do the relaying of the work to my GC friend, while you watch what we are doing for example. I'd even buy or rent the tools for the job you tell us to get. If we can do this install with your help like this, then I would have at least one more job for you at the same house in the same manner, via video consulting us on our HVAC install, but I want to put a Gree Evo+ Quad Unit into the rest of the house. These unit are going to be roof mounted on a flat roof of a U shaped adobe house. They are precharged for 25' from what I found online. I also have a question of cutting or coiling any excess line, what is your opinion on that, John? Thank you for your time and have a dank day!

Word of caution on a mini split the computer boards are more important than the compressor. The boards control everything. I am not saying they are bad or inferior units but again just a word of caution.

FiveAM

FiveAM

Without having to run through this entire thread, what's a good model and brand for a 3k setup? Sorry if you have to repeat yourself

Latest posts

Top Bottom