Smokeyjojackson

Hey John looking for some help again.

Room info:
12x16x8 (walls are rigid insulation)
4 air cooled Raptor 8's 1kw (4kw)
2 open batwing style x1kw (2kw)
(All ballasts are outside the room)
4 burner Co2
70 Pint Dehumidifier (off when lights on)
4 18" oscillating fans
24k BTU Mitsubishi Mr Slim
12k BTU Window unit (through the wall w/homemade plenum)

I cant get the room below 84

The issue I am having is that the air coming from the air handler on my Mitsubishi is nowhere near as cold as the air coming from my window unit. The mini split is set to 59 and the window unit is set to 61.

I suspect there may be something wrong with the mini split. I know the fan inside the air handler unit looks filthy. I feel like it has been struggling for awhile and probably should have been able to handle the room as it was but the temps were always in the low 90's sometimes higher.

For the last week I have had no issue keeping the room whatever temp I wanted 78-85. The window unit would cycle on 2/3 times per hour and the room was great. As of today both the Mitsubishi and the window unit both seem to be working full time and struggling to get the room below 84. I haven't heard the window unit cycle off in hours....

Is there potentially something wrong with my mini split unit?

How would you begin to tackle this situation if you were me?

Would cleaning the handler fan help?

Would that cause the air to be noticeably warmer than my window unit?

I have access to a trusted AC guy but his knowledge of mini splits is somewhat limited compared to yours but he has all the required tools and would be able to help me with whatever needs to be done. He made the initial connection etc.

I am hoping you can help me figure out if my mini split is running up to par or what direction I should go to remedy this predicament.

Thanks for your time,

Smokeyjojackson

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey John looking for some help again.

Room info:
12x16x8 (walls are rigid insulation)
4 air cooled Raptor 8's 1kw (4kw)
2 open batwing style x1kw (2kw)
(All ballasts are outside the room)
4 burner Co2
70 Pint Dehumidifier (off when lights on)
4 18" oscillating fans
24k BTU Mitsubishi Mr Slim
12k BTU Window unit (through the wall w/homemade plenum)

I cant get the room below 84

The issue I am having is that the air coming from the air handler on my Mitsubishi is nowhere near as cold as the air coming from my window unit. The mini split is set to 59 and the window unit is set to 61.

I suspect there may be something wrong with the mini split. I know the fan inside the air handler unit looks filthy. I feel like it has been struggling for awhile and probably should have been able to handle the room as it was but the temps were always in the low 90's sometimes higher.

For the last week I have had no issue keeping the room whatever temp I wanted 78-85. The window unit would cycle on 2/3 times per hour and the room was great. As of today both the Mitsubishi and the window unit both seem to be working full time and struggling to get the room below 84. I haven't heard the window unit cycle off in hours....

Is there potentially something wrong with my mini split unit?

How would you begin to tackle this situation if you were me?

Would cleaning the handler fan help?

Would that cause the air to be noticeably warmer than my window unit?

I have access to a trusted AC guy but his knowledge of mini splits is somewhat limited compared to yours but he has all the required tools and would be able to help me with whatever needs to be done. He made the initial connection etc.

I am hoping you can help me figure out if my mini split is running up to par or what direction I should go to remedy this predicament.

Thanks for your time,

Smokeyjojackson

I suspect you have 2 problems. The fan is dirty. Low on refrigerant (leak). Cause if it weren't low on refrigerant also the air would be colder not warmer. So your tech needs to locate leak(s) and recharge system properly. Leaks are most likely at connections on indoor and/or outdoor units. Look for oil around those fittings. Then he needs to disassemble the indoor unit, remove and clean fan, and then reassemble. If he needs help with any help with removal of the fan . He can go to Mr. Slims website and download a tech manual for your unit. It's very simple for the removal anyway.

Last edited:
X

xoddah

Way back there somewhere I am sure
but I am going to ask again
Walk in coolers used for soda / beer in convience stores
there is a local guy who buys, refurbishes, resells and designs these units
my only interest are the mechanicals, not the modular rooms
I am going to visit his shop next week to see what he has to offer
Any experience with this type cooler 220 Volt single phase
I currently have 12 x 36 x 10 12000 watts lights
propane co2 the normal stuff.. top of the line equipment
I intend to expand soon, double, then triple 36 x 36
what can you tell me about these systems good bad
thank you in advance

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Way back there somewhere I am sure
but I am going to ask again
Walk in coolers used for soda / beer in convience stores
there is a local guy who buys, refurbishes, resells and designs these units
my only interest are the mechanicals, not the modular rooms
I am going to visit his shop next week to see what he has to offer
Any experience with this type cooler 220 Volt single phase
I currently have 12 x 36 x 10 12000 watts lights
propane co2 the normal stuff.. top of the line equipment
I intend to expand soon, double, then triple 36 x 36
what can you tell me about these systems good bad
thank you in advance

Can't use the cooler refrigeration units. Already looked into it. The compressors are designed to run at lower temps and pressures. Am working with a customer now who is using the modular rooms. His first room will be partly up this week. Going to be interesting with 4 inch thick foam walls and 8 inch thick ceilings. All 3 of his rooms probably won't be fully functional for a few months.

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

12 x 15 Sealed Room
4,000 watts of lighting
Co2 Burner
4 Oscillating Fans
Carbon Scrubber
Ballasts and Controllers Outside Of Room

* I was thinking an 18,000 BTU Mini Split Would Be Ideal *

What's your take on this CJ?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

12 x 15 Sealed Room
4,000 watts of lighting
Co2 Burner
4 Oscillating Fans
Carbon Scrubber
Ballasts and Controllers Outside Of Room

* I was thinking an 18,000 BTU Mini Split Would Be Ideal *

What's your take on this CJ?

18k would most likely be fine but I would do a 24k inverter style. Mainly I say this size because I know little about actual room construction or climate.

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

18k would most likely be fine but I would do a 24k inverter style. Mainly I say this size because I know little about actual room construction or climate.

Thanks for the quick response CJ

What do you mean by inverter style?

Hopefully what your talking about has the quick connect DIY feature

Everything must be done in house so quick connect mini splits are a must

Cjgrow

Cjgrow

Ok I think I got my answer, now my question is can a 12000 btu mini split handle this , 3 600 gavitas and fans in a hot climate?

S

Smokeyjojackson

I suspect you have 2 problems. The fan is dirty. Low on refrigerant (leak). Cause if it weren't low on refrigerant also the air would be colder not warmer. So your tech needs to locate leak(s) and recharge system properly. Leaks are most likely at connections on indoor and/or outdoor units. Look for oil around those fittings. Then he needs to disassemble the indoor unit, remove and clean fan, and then reassemble. If he needs help with any help with removal of the fan . He can go to Mr. Slims website and download a tech manual for your unit. It's very simple for the removal anyway.

Ok John I have cleaned the indoor unit myself using a home made "bib" of the sort you can buy and some cleaner solution. The fan operates at a much higher rate now than before but the air coming out of it measures at about 68 when the unit is set to 59. As a contrast my window AC is set to 61 and the air coming from it can be measured at 58.

I have a tech coming over this afternoon to look at the unit.

I do have a question though.

I always ASSumed that if the unit was low on refrigerant or was not cooling to capacity that the indicator light on the indoor units would flash and alert to some abnormality in the system. When operating both lights stay green at all times. No flashing or blinking that would indicate some sort of trouble.

Am I mistaken that the unit is somewhat self diagnosing?

I guess I am just concerned that without some sort of error code we will not be able to fix the problem.

I had to shut off 1/3 of my lights last night because the room got up to 95 and staying there with the 24k mini split running and the 12k window unit running constantly.

I couldn't even get to sleep till the lights finally went off.

This shit is getting stressful....

S

Smokeyjojackson

Hey Cj a huge thanks on the info for what to do about my room.

I cleaned the indoor unit myself and had a tech come by today.

Long story short the leak was at the compressor.

The room is now a cool 75 degrees with all 6k on Co2 humming and just the mini split running.

I actually just had to turn the temp up for the first time in years...

Many thanks kind sir!

MischiefGrows

MischiefGrows

6k watts not air cooled would need a 3 ton or 36k btu? And you recommend a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim? Are there any other models that you would recommend? This will need to be installed by an hvac tech, especially for warranty reasons? Could you estimate an expecte bill for this?
Also, to run this, I will need a dedicated 30 amps? I ask bc that is what my room (currently 4k watts) is running on. I am trying to estimate what else needs to be done electricity an wise to make this work.

Thanks.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Ok I think I got my answer, now my question is can a 12000 btu mini split handle this , 3 600 gavitas and fans in a hot climate?

Can't say with 100% certainty but it should. Mostly depends on room construction. Was on vacation so sorry for slow response.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey Cj a huge thanks on the info for what to do about my room.

I cleaned the indoor unit myself and had a tech come by today.

Long story short the leak was at the compressor.

The room is now a cool 75 degrees with all 6k on Co2 humming and just the mini split running.

I actually just had to turn the temp up for the first time in years...

Many thanks kind sir!

It can be low without any indicator lights flashing. I'm sorry I took so long answering u. Was on vacation. Glad to hear it's fixed.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

6k watts not air cooled would need a 3 ton or 36k btu? And you recommend a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim? Are there any other models that you would recommend? This will need to be installed by an hvac tech, especially for warranty reasons? Could you estimate an expecte bill for this?
Also, to run this, I will need a dedicated 30 amps? I ask bc that is what my room (currently 4k watts) is running on. I am trying to estimate what else needs to be done electricity an wise to make this work.

Thanks.

3 ton Mr Slim needs a 25 amp circuit. Yes it must be professionally installed for lots of reasons. LG is a good brand also. Make sure it's inverter style.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks for the quick response CJ

What do you mean by inverter style?

Hopefully what your talking about has the quick connect DIY feature

Everything must be done in house so quick connect mini splits are a must

All mini splits are quick connect. Only a few are DIY. As far as I know there are no DIY inverter type units. Inverter type units can control better under varying load conditions. Which is best for your plants and your equipment. IMO the DIY units are junk. Avoid if possible. Just my two cents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom