Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

East county is hot. I located near east county and the heat is amongst us. The only reason why I suggest a nice size ac unit is because it's better to buy a heavier unit and it works less then a small unit that works hard. Wish I knew too I just sold my 14000 btu portable ac on Craigslist ! But I know led draw less heat I just suggest a heavy ac because of your actual growing location granite it is shaded it's because it's in a shade. But that's just my suggestion I'm a indoor type of guy. Im going to cool my 6000 watt room with a 24000 btu mini split. Best of luck to you brotha and happy gardening! Nice to see a couple of SD heads in the farm !

I recommend more a/c for you if you are not air cooling ur lights. My recommends are 4000 btus/hr for 1kw of air cooled lighting and 6000 btus/hr for not air cooled. Been doing grows for 6 yrs now and commercial HVAC for over 20 yrs. Those numbers have never steered me wrong. They are a bit overkill but better safe than sorry. So you should have a 3 ton if your lights aren't air cooled. Also I answered your PM.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks you two for the input really appreciate it, John I'm in east county area but got lots of eucalyptus shading it for the entire day. The shed is up on 4x4 runners and plan on putting four 6" passive intake square vents using a bug - proof mesh on the floor which will be countered by the sucking from a 8" 720 cfm fan with speed control.

I hope that gives some venting insight.
Once entirely lit it shouldn't use more than 2000-2400w to power all the LED units I plan on running. Doing soil too if that's a factor.

A 12k unit should do it. I suggest Mr Slim mini split. A unit and installation is around $2000. If that is out of your budget get a window unit. Make sure it restarts automatically on power failure.

R

reddwood

A 12k unit should do it. I suggest Mr Slim mini split. A unit and installation is around $2000. If that is out of your budget get a window unit. Make sure it restarts automatically on power failure.
Yeah mini split is gonna be a down the line purchase for now unfortunately. Until then, I'll be rocking a window unit!

Should I stick with the 12,000 BTU ballpark number when searching for those units as well? Also if you knew any brand or appropriate models of the top of your head you could recommend?
The good thing is that I'm seeing way more ACs that have the auto-restart function

grow.proper

grow.proper

I recommend more a/c for you if you are not air cooling ur lights. My recommends are 4000 btus/hr for 1kw of air cooled lighting and 6000 btus/hr for not air cooled. Been doing grows for 6 yrs now and commercial HVAC for over 20 yrs. Those numbers have never steered me wrong. They are a bit overkill but better safe than sorry. So you should have a 3 ton if your lights aren't air cooled. Also I answered your PM.

I just purchased a 24k btu aura mini split for 1350 out the door. At 4k btu per 1k that's 24 k for my 6k room. I will be air cooking it as well

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Yeah mini split is gonna be a down the line purchase for now unfortunately. Until then, I'll be rocking a window unit!

Should I stick with the 12,000 BTU ballpark number when searching for those units as well? Also if you knew any brand or appropriate models of the top of your head you could recommend?
The good thing is that I'm seeing way more ACs that have the auto-restart function

Yes on the number. Just stick with a name u recognize.

grow.proper

grow.proper

Here's a guy selling a window unit

W

wstcstmonkey

Hi John, thank you for all your info it's invaluable.

Right now I'm looking at a NorCal 20x30 room with 8 " ceilings. Using your formula of 4k btus per 1k watts for air cooled lights and 6k btus for non air cooled lights, in a heavy insulated + dry wall cge + ducting and using soil (not sure if factor). Will be running a dehuey in there as well. Again, according to your formula, I am looking at ~ 70k-90k btus that I need... I'm on 220 power I'm just curious what route you would go to cool the room.

I'm wondering if it's feasible to use two mini splits that are 36k or is it recommended I get something much bigger... wondering what reasonable prices I should expect to spend on this equipment. Budget is trying to be around 4k-5k for ac. Trying to stay within budget...

Last edited:
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi John, thank you for all your info it's invaluable.

Right now I'm looking at a NorCal 20x30 room with 8 " ceilings. Using your formula of 4k btus per 1k watts for air cooled lights and 6k btus for non air cooled lights, in a heavy insulated + dry wall cge + ducting and using soil (not sure if factor). Will be running a dehuey in there as well. Again, according to your formula, I am looking at ~ 70k-90k btus that I need... I'm on 220 power I'm just curious what route you would go to cool the room.

I'm wondering if it's feasible to use two mini splits that are 36k or is it recommended I get something much bigger... wondering what reasonable prices I should expect to spend on this equipment. Budget is trying to be around 4k-5k for ac. Trying to stay within budget...

Unfortunately your are under budgeting for a/c. Minimum tonnage needed is 6 tons up to 7.5 tons. 2-3 ton minis installed would be somewhere $7-8k. That would be Mr Slim minis (top the line). Only problems with minis in a room that big is they need help moving the air evenly thru the room. Usually we as growers have enough fans in there that isn't really a problem for us. 2 regular split systems installed with minimal ducting would probably be around 9-10k range. So one option is to do only half lights for first run or two. That way u can do 1 a/c at a time. If you do that then put up a dividing wall at about half of the room. You can hang 6 mil plastic for reflection. The stuff that is white on one side and black on the other. Doesn't need to be light proof just a way to get optimal room size vs 1/2 lighting.

dirk d

dirk d

Hi CJohn, I'm having so many issues with my (3) LG mini splits. I'm noticing that on one of my air handlers, air only comes out the first 5" of the unit. seems the rest of the air handler is not pushing air out. looked at the air handler and it looks kind of slimy, wet. The air that it blows is cold but seems like not much air coming out, at least compared to the other air handlers. asked my AC guy and he said its condensated water or something. then week later my roms are at 85F lol

Thinking of upgrading the units to the mitsu instead of fixing these LG's. Already have to replace one compressor and now my 2nd LG is not working fully. My room is running 9k vertical with (2) 30k LG mini. My AC guy also said that the LG's are not "commercial enough" for my application.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi CJohn, I'm having so many issues with my (3) LG mini splits. I'm noticing that on one of my air handlers, air only comes out the first 5" of the unit. seems the rest of the air handler is not pushing air out. looked at the air handler and it looks kind of slimy, wet. The air that it blows is cold but seems like not much air coming out, at least compared to the other air handlers. asked my AC guy and he said its condensated water or something. then week later my roms are at 85F lol

Thinking of upgrading the units to the mitsu instead of fixing these LG's. Already have to replace one compressor and now my 2nd LG is not working fully. My room is running 9k vertical with (2) 30k LG mini. My AC guy also said that the LG's are not "commercial enough" for my application.

Your guy isn't very good IMO. I have a LG unit in my small grow. Have had it for 4 years or so w/o problems. Sounds like your air handlers need to be disassembled and the blower wheels cleaned. Look at them closer w/o them running. You must disassembly them to clean the units properly.

KeepSimple

KeepSimple

Best I can figure is that they sent your wrong wire. Should have been 14/4. Get some new 14 gauge wire to do S terminal or some 14/4 at Home Depot or Lowes.

Just wanted to say that you were correct about sensor wife and that my ac seems to be running fine. Keeping room at 75° with no issues so far. Have had it running since July draw hovers around 5-6 amp.

Thank you for your help CJ!!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Just wanted to say that you were correct about sensor wife and that my ac seems to be running fine. Keeping room at 75° with no issues so far. Have had it running since July draw hovers around 5-6 amp.

Thank you for your help CJ!!

Cool. Best of luck

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

what would be the best mini split for the buck on a 12k room with A/C hoods?

K

krinen

I need help on what unit to get. I am looking at either a 12k BTU or 18k BTU. I have a 10' x 10' room with 3200W, all in air cooled Raptor hoods, and All 4 digital ballasts are inside the room as well. I have a 10k window unit that I have running almost 24/7 just to keep the temps in check. When the lights kick on and the 70 pint dehumid is running temps get a little too high.

So with all of that, what mini split would you recommend? Also will these will act as sort of a dehumidifier as well?

K

krinen

I need help on what unit to get. I am looking at either a 12k BTU or 18k BTU. I have a 10' x 10' room with 3200W, all in air cooled Raptor hoods, and All 4 digital ballasts are inside the room as well. I have a 10k window unit that I have running almost 24/7 just to keep the temps in check. When the lights kick on and the 70 pint dehumid is running temps get a little too high, and so does my electric bill....

So with all of that, what size mini split would you recommend? Also will these will act as sort of a dehumidifier as well?

Top Bottom