Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

@CannabisJohn got a question for ya good sir.

What size ducting and vent registers should I use in this situation?

5 ton water cooled air handler with a plenum, then a Y and going to two vents. Both runs would be about 10 feet and the only turn would be from the duct to the vent.

I was looking at this for ducting.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermafl...00-0003/203767741?N=5yc1vZc4nu#specifications

Use 18x14x14 tee wye. So 18 inch off of plenum to 2-14 inch ducts

Bull Trout

Bull Trout

Does any have any experience with this product (link)? If so where did you get it? I have some funky build up on my blades of the blower and I am looking into an easy way to clean them.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

Are there any more affordable Minisplits than mrslim that are comparable in quality?

cc503

cc503

Are there any more affordable Minisplits than mrslim that are comparable in quality?
sorry if this has been covered somewhere else but what are the advantages of running a mini split over central ac? I am setting up a room that will have 12 to 16 open hood 1000w. I am in the nw so it gets cold in the winter n there aren't really proper heating controls in the basement. I saw that some units also can heat any advice on a unit that could keep the room steady? thanks

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

sorry if this has been covered somewhere else but what are the advantages of running a mini split over central ac? I am setting up a room that will have 12 to 16 open hood 1000w. I am in the nw so it gets cold in the winter n there aren't really proper heating controls in the basement. I saw that some units also can heat any advice on a unit that could keep the room steady? thanks
IMO mini splits are more economical for smaller rooms.. For bigger set ups as what your describing central air is going to work better.. I would recommend looking into an Excel Air 5 ton XL or Elite series if you need dehumidification as well. You can add on a 5kw Hester for a couple hundred.. They work great I'm at 7500 feet in CO and these units have been flawless for me.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

IMO mini splits are more economical for smaller rooms.. For bigger set ups as what your describing central air is going to work better.. I would recommend looking into an Excel Air 5 ton XL or Elite series if you need dehumidification as well. You can add on a 5kw Hester for a couple hundred.. They work great I'm at 7500 feet in CO and these units have been flawless for me.
how much are they in comparison?

cc503

cc503

whats the advantage of a mini split over a central? if im gonna a run an open hood room with
how much are they in comparison?
you run ac and a heater? or do you air cool? you did mean a heater right?

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

whats the advantage of a mini split over a central? if im gonna a run an open hood room with

Im Talking price comparison of central versus mini split I have no problems running a 25$ heater

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

Yes, in the summer I run ac and in the winter I run the heater...same as you would your house.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I like minis in bigger rooms too because I like multiple units. Yes it costs more to install but you have some redundancy. Plus you can stage the mini set points so they only all run at once if needed. With a single big unit it's either on or off. No in between.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

I like minis in bigger rooms too because I like multiple units. Yes it costs more to install but you have some redundancy. Plus you can stage the mini set points so they only all run at once if needed. With a single big unit it's either on or off. No in between.
Have you heard of "pioneer" Mini's any speculation on quality?

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

No I haven't. If Chinese then I would say no good. Best advice is just to stay away from no name shit.
K so good brands to use BESIDES mitsubishi would be: LG? Panasonic? <<<<< Ive had way better luck finding more affordable units with these brands. It looks like two LGs @ 24000 btu would be cheaper than one 36 mr slim. ANy speculations?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

K so good brands to use BESIDES mitsubishi would be: LG? Panasonic? <<<<< Ive had way better luck finding more affordable units with these brands. It looks like two LGs @ 24000 btu would be cheaper than one 36 mr slim. ANy speculations?

I have a LG unit myself. It works well. I push Mr Slim because of the warranty and I get great pricing. They are the best. LG is decent. I've installed over 100 Mr Slims with only 2 problems under warranty. These units work hard too. My LG doesn't work too hard. It's a bit oversized. Wanted to add more lights but never did.

Puscifer

Puscifer

CJ, how do i go about adding r410 to a Mr Slim? I installed one with 50ft of line set and need to add a few oz. I know to weigh it in as a liquid but where? Theirs a low pressure port inside the unit outdoor unit but i have to remove the case, can i charge using the service valve where I vacced from?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

CJ, how do i go about adding r410 to a Mr Slim? I installed one with 50ft of line set and need to add a few oz. I know to weigh it in as a liquid but where? Theirs a low pressure port inside the unit outdoor unit but i have to remove the case, can i charge using the service valve where I vacced from?

Yes you can. That is a low pressure port which is where u need to add it.

cc503

cc503

How many watts are you trying to cool? I'm no expert but from my experience if you need 3 tons (36k btu) or less a mini split will be more cost effective.. Over 4tons and I would just install central air
Either 12 or 16 k trying to budget out what I can afford... Going to go open hood and sealed room for co2 but so I think I'm going to need at least a 5 ton... Interesting thought to use two minis , are there any smart acs that can take advantage of all the cold air outside in the winter?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom