Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Just wanted to correct one of my previous posts. Checked one of my receipts and I got 3 24k daikin for $3856 out the door so under 1300 bucks a piece. Here in MI we build removable enclosures around them for winter time usage. Thanks again John, your a great resource here on the farm.

J

johnconnor

Is there any way to keep a window banger from freezing up in the winter time?

Mudskipper

Mudskipper

It's cheaper to buy separate a/c and dehuey units than combining them.

+1

Just get everything on timers so you're maximizing the dehumidification w/ no-out occurring(except for an occasional dump through out the off time ;)). Mr. slims are the business

N

ninjagaiden

Thanks for the advice.

Building a very small mother room, about 152 sqft. Plan to run non-aircooled 2x400's or 2x600'sdepending on what I am working on. The room will prob have a small 25pint/day dehuey

Thinking about slapping a 9k btu, smallest mr slim they make, in there for temp control. Crazy?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks for the advice.

Building a very small mother room, about 152 sqft. Plan to run non-aircooled 2x400's or 2x600'sdepending on what I am working on. The room will prob have a small 25pint/day dehuey

Thinking about slapping a 9k btu, smallest mr slim they make, in there for temp control. Crazy?

Should work great if properly installed

Superbeasto

Superbeasto

It gets sub zero in Michigan. i am trying to go totally sealed room to have total control over the enviroment. But its getting complicated and almost seems like a waste of resources. Excel Air says with there low ambient kit there system will cool in -20 degree weather. Im trying to find other less costly options. I know one option would be non sealed room in the winter and sealed in the summer. But if there was a way to keep it sealed year round, that would be my first choice.

Maybe CJ could chime in more on this-

Not a whole lot on lung room/cold climate growing info here on the farm. Found some good info on IC that "dun haven' fun" posted, but he was in a warm climate. I'm thinking about using a lung room as a "perfect climate room" that will pull cold outside air (most of the year up here) in if necessary- both flower rooms will circulate air with the lung room, so one of them will be discharging hot air into the lung to balance the climate.

I don't know how us cold climate guys can use sub zero air a couple months out of the year for cooling purposes, unless it is conditioned in a lung room before introduced into the flower. At the same time, these mini split condenser units will not work at -20/-30 degrees in our winters. During the warmer months, the lung room could be closed off and ac used to cool. But like tbone said, if it were practical to stay sealed year round, it would be much easier...

L

LastHurrah

Hello Farmers,
I just joined so I could post on this most informative and helpful thread. Thanks Cannabis John for holding it down for so long. I'm finally building my own growroom after years of "assisting" at other people's ops. It's a converted bedroom 10.5x9 (flower with 2 600s now, 2 more later) plus a 2x4 closet space (veg, recirculates flower air). Inland NorCal so 90s-100s for a long part of the year. Room shares one wall with garage and I can DIY as needed. Water for washing machine is on that shared wall (thought about chiller/ice boxes). Remote ballasts will be in the garage.

This will be a long-term arrangement and I may expand with a tent or two in the garage if all goes well. I planned to use bare bulbs and fluoros in the bedroom to start, so no hoods to vent the heat out. Using a Sentinel CHH4 to control environment. So I'm at 3000 watts of lighting in the room with a potential for another 1200 in the garage (may only use for a cycle or two during cooler months). I was thinking a 2-ton window or wall unit to save $ upfront, then upgrade to a split (LG, Fujitsu, or Samsung, right?) after a few cycles.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is supplemental CO2 generally necessary when using window/wall unit? Skip the window/wall unit and do the split right away? If w/w unit okay, what brand/size/retailer suggested?

Thanks and again... I'm happy to have found this thread and all the unmentioned contributors. Is this thing a sticky yet?

LH

Mudskipper

Mudskipper

I don't know how us cold climate guys can use sub zero air a couple months out of the year for cooling purposes, unless it is conditioned in a lung room before introduced into the flower.

I'm confused. You have ample cold dry air available-why would you want to run a mini split?

Mudskipper

Mudskipper

Why couldn't you just use less of your bone chilling dry outdoor air to cool things down? It just needs to be drawn in properly.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Maybe CJ could chime in more on this-

Not a whole lot on lung room/cold climate growing info here on the farm. Found some good info on IC that "dun haven' fun" posted, but he was in a warm climate. I'm thinking about using a lung room as a "perfect climate room" that will pull cold outside air (most of the year up here) in if necessary- both flower rooms will circulate air with the lung room, so one of them will be discharging hot air into the lung to balance the climate.

I don't know how us cold climate guys can use sub zero air a couple months out of the year for cooling purposes, unless it is conditioned in a lung room before introduced into the flower. At the same time, these mini split condenser units will not work at -20/-30 degrees in our winters. During the warmer months, the lung room could be closed off and ac used to cool. But like tbone said, if it were practical to stay sealed year round, it would be much easier...

Would have to temper the air some way before introducing cold air in too big of quantities. Lung room would before a good way to do it. Also would need to filter that air properly too.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hello Farmers,
I just joined so I could post on this most informative and helpful thread. Thanks Cannabis John for holding it down for so long. I'm finally building my own growroom after years of "assisting" at other people's ops. It's a converted bedroom 10.5x9 (flower with 2 600s now, 2 more later) plus a 2x4 closet space (veg, recirculates flower air). Inland NorCal so 90s-100s for a long part of the year. Room shares one wall with garage and I can DIY as needed. Water for washing machine is on that shared wall (thought about chiller/ice boxes). Remote ballasts will be in the garage.

This will be a long-term arrangement and I may expand with a tent or two in the garage if all goes well. I planned to use bare bulbs and fluoros in the bedroom to start, so no hoods to vent the heat out. Using a Sentinel CHH4 to control environment. So I'm at 3000 watts of lighting in the room with a potential for another 1200 in the garage (may only use for a cycle or two during cooler months). I was thinking a 2-ton window or wall unit to save $ upfront, then upgrade to a split (LG, Fujitsu, or Samsung, right?) after a few cycles.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is supplemental CO2 generally necessary when using window/wall unit? Skip the window/wall unit and do the split right away? If w/w unit okay, what brand/size/retailer suggested?

Thanks and again... I'm happy to have found this thread and all the unmentioned contributors. Is this thing a sticky yet?

LH

A mini would be best. It'll do the best at cooling your room in hot weather. Window units have a drop off when it gets above 95F or higher outside. The window unit will work if needed by budget.

L

LastHurrah

Thanks CJ for that response. I anticipated that answer. Since its early December, and cold enough now, I'm going to run the room vented for a cycle or two. Air is cold enough to pull from outside and pass thru the room to the scrubber which exhausts into garage.

On linesets... I'm seeing folks talk about min/max lineset lengths. Best to position outdoor part of split so that once uncoiled, the linesets length reaches the point where I want to install inside part of the split?

Current recommendation for brand and online retailer would be awesome so I can research more over next few months.

Thanks again CJ!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks CJ for that response. I anticipated that answer. Since its early December, and cold enough now, I'm going to run the room vented for a cycle or two. Air is cold enough to pull from outside and pass thru the room to the scrubber which exhausts into garage.

On linesets... I'm seeing folks talk about min/max lineset lengths. Best to position outdoor part of split so that once uncoiled, the linesets length reaches the point where I want to install inside part of the split?

Current recommendation for brand and online retailer would be awesome so I can research more over next few months.

Thanks again CJ!

Mitsubushi is my brand. LG also good.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

20151124 191542
20151124 192254 1
View attachment 553597My mistake I had thought in the past you had called them a good unit for the money. Like I said before we have well over thirty in service and have had one failure right out of the box. We put in 10 more last week and installing 1 more tomorrow. The last one was 4 24k btu daikin for each 12k gavita room and 2 24k btu for veg .Overkill for sure but will probably be running 16k in each room in the future and would rather have too much than not enough. Also if there is a failure on one unit there is still plenty of ac. The wholesale house is loving us right now .

Last edited:
Superbeasto

Superbeasto

mittenmedgrow- I'm about to pull the trigger on a new build out and want to situate my split unit condensers inside an interior space like you have above. Are you exhausting the heat generated in that space by the condensers out to atmosphere/outside through a filter? Really curious how you are handling that hot air situation- thanks!

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

These are in a building that has more than 8000sqft warehouse with about 2000sqft of offices, warehouse has 30ft ceilings. The rooms are 10' 4 " inside. Last summer I had 8 2 ton running with no outside ventilation it got pretty hot in the open warehouse area but the sealed grow rooms are well insulated and 2 24k units kept each 8 light room plenty cool. In the last building I was running 16k lights 4 24k units and the building was much smaller so I needed to pull heat out of the lung room where the ac condensers were located. I ran 2 boz 1 ozone generators with a 12 in max fan pulling through a big charcoal filter then pushing through a uvonair Corona discharge cd 1200 then out the roof. In the big warehouse I have already been running the Reznor heaters this year to keep it at 65f. With the new rooms I'm hoping the additional splits will keep the open areas of the warehouse at 70f without having to run the furnaces. I will definitely be adding ventilation when the weather warms up, probably do something similar to the other space with multiple 12 in vents. I would rather set the units outside but I don't want to be obvious. The last building shared a demising wall with another business and after 2 years they found out what was going on because we had a water pipe freeze and break and the landlords worker kicked a hole in the wall to gain access to my suite.

DxHerms

DxHerms

last post was an issue with my fujitsu mini split. had a leak somewhere from installation. Caused to unit to form ice and not work properly. had the line re sealed and charged back up...now 2 months down the line im noticing water droplets pooring out of the back of the unit. any idea why? thanks in advance.

Top Bottom