Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I live in Northern Nevada and the outside temp is about 100 degrees now. I have a 12x9 vented room inside my garage and an 8,000 BTU air conditioner vented into the room itself instead of inside the room. The garage is not insulated, and the temps are well above 100 degrees. I do have a roof vent that is sucking some of the hot air out, and a high velocity fan blowing on the back of the unit. My room is still averaging about 90-98 degrees during the day. I can hear the pump of the unit coming on, but it is not cooling the room down. I turned my exhaust fan down a little (it's a 740 CFM Hydro Flow) to see if it was sucking out the cold air too fast. It didn't really make a difference. Am I going to have to cool my garage, or is there something else I could be doing? Cooling a garage this time of year is not an option.

Garage is probably 125 plus. A/C you have can't run in that high of temps. 100-110F is probably as high as I would go. Need to cool garage or a/c must be outside . Is it a window unit?

N

NV Farmer

Garage is probably 125 plus. A/C you have can't run in that high of temps. 100-110F is probably as high as I would go. Need to cool garage or a/c must be outside . Is it a window unit?
No, it's a portable air unit. If I cut a hole out of the wall of the garage to install a window unit directly into the room, I lose my ability to seal it, and then I have bugs and smell to contend with. Would you recommend one of those units that use water? I need the humidity in my climate so that part would be a non-issue.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

No, it's a portable air unit. If I cut a hole out of the wall of the garage to install a window unit directly into the room, I lose my ability to seal it, and then I have bugs and smell to contend with. Would you recommend one of those units that use water? I need the humidity in my climate so that part would be a non-issue.

Get a mini split installed properly

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

@CannabisJohn
I have a tech question for you.
Previous in 14k and 8k but portable a.c. worked fine with my autopilot master greenhouse controller. Using this to turn on and off my a.c. at my set temp. I just installed a 15k LG window ac unit. It works great, except when plugged into the controller. When the controller shuts off the unit, then back in, it stays on for a couple mins then shuts off. This happened in 2 different greenhouse controllers. It works fine when plugged into an outlet, not so much when plugged into the controller. The controllers trip and shut off. Im.sure I'm not overloading the controllers. They take 15a max, I have 11.2a in.

All 3 units have a power failure reset function. Means unit will resume last set function.

I currently have it running 24/7 using the thermostat on the a.c. unit to cycle on and off.

The new 15k window into uses .8a less and uses same wattage as my old 14k portable.

And LG so called "tech support" in India is a fvcking joke! What a crock of shit.

Last edited:
dnewsome2

dnewsome2

John, Ty so much for restarting this thread and your contributions towards the community.

Quick questions for you sir:

Desert environment, 120 degree summers, on the top floor of a newer house (2x6 good insulation) with central air for rest of house set at 77 during this time, and with exterior walls on two sides. Will a 24k BTU minisplit handle 4 1kw lights + the heat of the summer?

Also what is the big difference between say a Shinco minisplit and a Klimaire minisplit?

Thanks a ton in advance!
I live in the environment you're talking about do not be afraid to Overkill it. The last thing you want are extreme fluctuations.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Part 2 of my question.

Just talked to my grow builder buddy. He ran it o a similar issue. He bypassed the a.c. units thermostat and plugged the thermostat into his controller. Any thoughts? I have a digital display on my a.c., not the old school dial.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

@CannabisJohn
I have a tech question for you.
Previous in 14k and 8k but portable a.c. worked fine with my autopilot master greenhouse controller. Using this to turn on and off my a.c. at my set temp. I just installed a 15k LG window ac unit. It works great, except when plugged into the controller. When the controller shuts off the unit, then back in, it stays on for a couple mins then shuts off. This happened in 2 different greenhouse controllers. It works fine when plugged into an outlet, not so much when plugged into the controller. The controllers trip and shut off. Im.sure I'm not overloading the controllers. They take 15a max, I have 11.2a in.

All 3 units have a power failure reset function. Means unit will resume last set function.

I currently have it running 24/7 using the thermostat on the a.c. unit to cycle on and off.

The new 15k window into uses .8a less and uses same wattage as my old 14k portable.

And LG so called "tech support" in India is a fvcking joke! What a crock of shit.

Have you measured the amp draw or are you going off the nameplate data?

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Have you measured the amp draw or are you going off the nameplate data?
I've been pretty happy with the GE window unit. I like these mechanical buttons a lot better instead of digital. And I got it stupid cheap on Walmart

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Part 2 of my question.

Just talked to my grow builder buddy. He ran it o a similar issue. He bypassed the a.c. units thermostat and plugged the thermostat into his controller. Any thoughts? I have a digital display on my a.c., not the old school dial.
Probably wont work directly with your stat. There are ways to do it. You could have your controller turn a contactor on and off to energize the outlet directly. I've done that with a regular 24 volt stat (no controller). Stat had failed on fairly new window banger and part was 10-14 days away. If you have further questions PM me

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I've been pretty happy with the GE window unit. I like these mechanical buttons a lot better instead of digital. And I got it stupid cheap on Walmart
Does it have auto restart after a power failure?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

@CannabisJohn

Awesome! I'm not sure it's it's a 110 or a 24v signal. Just bought a meter to test tonight. How would i go about fabbing one of those up

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

It's all mechanical as long as power hits it it's on.

Going to be smaller than what our friend needs though I'm only running a 10x12 room

Going to be smaller than what our friend needs though I'm only running a 10x12 room
You are able to run two units on one circuit though

I just wanted to brag it's a pretty sick little unit. It hangs out the window on the west side of the house in direct sunlight and when it's 118 plus out it will still pump out 43-degree air Non-Stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

You are able to run two units on one circuit though

I just wanted to brag it's a pretty sick little unit. It hangs out the window on the west side of the house in direct sunlight and when it's 118 plus out it will still pump out 43-degree air Non-Stop.

Sounds like a great unit.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

@CannabisJohn

Awesome! I'm not sure it's it's a 110 or a 24v signal. Just bought a meter to test tonight. How would i go about fabbing one of those up

Your's is most likely 110v or the stat is DC voltage. I controlled the 110 volt outlet it was plugged into and bypassed the unit stat. It's pretty easy to setup. Need a regular wall stat, 110 volt to 24 volt transformer, a outlet, a contacter, and a box to house it all. The stat switches the contacter which energizes the outlet to start the unit.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Your's is most likely 110v or the stat is DC voltage. I controlled the 110 volt outlet it was plugged into and bypassed the unit stat. It's pretty easy to setup. Need a regular wall stat, 110 volt to 24 volt transformer, a outlet, a contacter, and a box to house it all. The stat switches the contacter which energizes the outlet to start the unit.

These are great for running auxiliary fans.

These are great for running auxiliary fans.
And you can adjust the swing setting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E7NYY8/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I went back to using my portable u til u get this issue sorted out.

Someone told me I may be able to use a light controller, use the trigger cord plugged into my greenhouse controller to activate the controller which powers my a.c. unit.

Seems like a fire hazard, but still need g a bug power draw upon start up.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Calling the electrical genius's.

Buddy had an idea to use a light controller as the power source for the a.c., plugging the trigger cord into the green house controller to turn on and off.

See pic

20170629 142323

Top Bottom