Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sky_blue

sky_blue

In a sealed room it may be enough a/c but in your case I think not. I would do minimum of 8000 btu unit

Hi C.John,
Thank you very much for such a quick bit of crucial info. The A/C unit is currently sealed into the wall unfortunately. Would it be cheaper and easier now to buy a portable A/C unit that is rated at 9000 to supplement? I can run a drain hose down through the floor...I don't want to spend the money, but I don't see alternatives...
The existing units (not my choice...) in both rooms are: Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000-BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner (1 per room), the dimensions of the unit are 13.2 x 16 x 12 inches. Small. Perhaps I could fit in a stronger unit, but cutting/opening up the shipping container wall holes is difficult, and I think stronger A/C units would never fit that small a hole.

Although it is very well insulated, especially the roof, the heat of NM is strong. I am concerned about August highs.

Pls. help with your continued priceless info. these things can turn into disasters when it's too late....

Best,
Don

sky_blue

sky_blue

Hey yo. Got 24k btu Haier window banger. Has white styro liner inside. During day when my lights are out, a light is shining in from small slit opening on side of unit. Can I block or shade that opening? If I can't block, how close can I put a shade? Thanks/
__
I'm having exact same problem. Thank you for asking. I have seen answers to this which involve using an aluminum tape to cover that light opening.
Also, you can buy "darkroom louvers" up to 12x24 (I think). They are for sale on Amazon. I f you have a better idea - pls. forward it along. I have issues with light leaking in 2-3 diff. places (the A/C, the passive intake holes,etc.). Might just switch to an acive intake w/an inline fan, and seal up all the passive intake holes. Can't seem to make it light-proof otherwise... ** Also, just in case you figure this all out, my exhaust fan has a very large carbon filter, but when it blows outside, the spring-loaded 8" cover opens up, and I don't know how to keep light from coming in there... Small amount, but that's all you need to screw up your flower cycle...

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

you mean whats the highest temps of the outside air? during the summers it avg in the 90's and we'll see 102's to 107's for two weeks out of the year also.

Yep. So use the 6000 number.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi C.John,
Thank you very much for such a quick bit of crucial info. The A/C unit is currently sealed into the wall unfortunately. Would it be cheaper and easier now to buy a portable A/C unit that is rated at 9000 to supplement? I can run a drain hose down through the floor...I don't want to spend the money, but I don't see alternatives...
The existing units (not my choice...) in both rooms are: Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000-BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner (1 per room), the dimensions of the unit are 13.2 x 16 x 12 inches. Small. Perhaps I could fit in a stronger unit, but cutting/opening up the shipping container wall holes is difficult, and I think stronger A/C units would never fit that small a hole.

Although it is very well insulated, especially the roof, the heat of NM is strong. I am concerned about August highs.

Pls. help with your continued priceless info. these things can turn into disasters when it's too late....

Best,
Don

Portables suck but it maybe your best option to use on as needed basis. Make sure you get the dual hose and hook it up properly.

gumby420

gumby420

hello all, so recently i needed some help with my room BAD, i went through 3 portable ac's with no luck. my room was between 82-90 constantly and had no one to help. i posted on here, John answered my questions and i hesitantly asked him to come to my room and help me. I purchased a shitty mini split against his advice and within an hour of him leaving it wasnt working properly (manufacturer error). He got me a great deal on a new mitsubishi unit, which he originally recommended, and came back out and installed it. its been working great with not one glitch since he left. thanks so much John. That Karma will come back to you. ;)
in conclusion: IF YOU NEED HVAC WORK, talk to this man.

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

johns a good guy and knows is biz. thanks john for being a good contributor to this site. thanks for being there when i needed it.

HighLife 45

HighLife 45

Hey CJ thanks for helping out so many of us!

I am about to set up a few sealed rooms and would like your guidance. I am hoping to get an ac from acwholesalers

If you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, sizing, zoning, one larger unit or individual units.
Is rheem a good brand?
200 amps of power at the location.

ballasts will be located outside of the room.
bare bulb vertical

Scenario 1;
2 rooms each with 5k 10'x10'x8'

Scenario 2;
3 rooms each with 5k 10'x10'x8'

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey CJ thanks for helping out so many of us!

I am about to set up a few sealed rooms and would like your guidance. I am hoping to get an ac from acwholesalers

If you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, sizing, zoning, one larger unit or individual units.
Is rheem a good brand?
200 amps of power at the location.

ballasts will be located outside of the room.
bare bulb vertical

Scenario 1;
2 rooms each with 5k 10'x10'x8'

Scenario 2;
3 rooms each with 5k 10'x10'x8'

Do individual high seer 3 ton mini splits for each room. The higher the seer the less energy they use. Rheem is ok unit but I don't believe they make mini splits.

pork

pork

i just got my hands on a Amana 18,000btu window unit...Have any experience with these, John?

HighLife 45

HighLife 45

Do individual high seer 3 ton mini splits for each room. The higher the seer the less energy they use. Rheem is ok unit but I don't believe they make mini splits.

Thanx for the quick reply.

Ok I was hoping to get a 5 ton out door unit and split it between the two rooms and do a flip flop.

The rheem and goodman 5 ton 18 seer units are the same price as one mini split.

I may just go with a couple window acs to start with because I am on a budget for the time being.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanx for the quick reply.

Ok I was hoping to get a 5 ton out door unit and split it between the two rooms and do a flip flop.

The rheem and goodman 5 ton 18 seer units are the same price as one mini split.

I may just go with a couple window acs to start with because I am on a budget for the time being.

You can do that but you need some zone controls to do it right which of course adds money to the bottom line. Where are you located because I can get deals on top of the line minis?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hay every one long time grower but new set up and cant figure out what way i want to go about all this. I bet if i read all this i would get some good info but as all my plants have no home at the moment i need help now lol. But i am running a 4x8 tent with 3 400 in it and i have two 3x3 tents in the same room as well. But temps are way to hot in the flower room so should i put my A/C in my tent or in the room that all my tents are in??? I am doing a closed room so intake fan outtake fan and a 6'' outtake fan for my air cooled hoods. If the AC is in the tent i would run my intake and outtake for the first ten mins of every hour as to not run the ac all the time. And the ac i have only has an outtake port on it so it would be using the air with in the tent to cool. so would be putting co2 in the tent be a waste of money so lost lol any help would be goooooood haha keep it green every one :D

You could put it in the room where all the tents are located. Then pull air from that room to each tent. You also could get line voltage thermostats to control the fans for each tent.

gumby420

gumby420

hey john, we had an electrician come out today for something unrelated and said that Romex that was run shouldnt be exposed to sunlight or water. Do you think it will be a problem or should i try and run it through something?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

hey john, we had an electrician come out today for something unrelated and said that Romex that was run shouldnt be exposed to sunlight or water. Do you think it will be a problem or should i try and run it through something?

He is correct but I have seen it outside for years w/o any real problems. Did I do that?

H

hogan400

I threw this in the cooling section but Ill toss it here for you, CannabisJohn.

I am building a new 12k flip flop and have used mini's in the past w great success. I have to cool 2 rooms and would like to skip the multiple mini's and possibly go to an "all in one".

I like the Rheem RSNMA060JK 5 Ton, it comes charged and seems it should cool my 12k/4000btu's per bulb ballast combo fine? 12x4000=48000btu and the Rheem 5 Ton rating is 63k worth of cooling. come precharged and seems simple enough.

my concerns are redundancy?
also failure can be a concern?
can I run this dual zone? what else would I need to buy?

I know one room is lights on, the other is lights off, but still even with lights off, its sealed and fans and pumps will generate heat. Not much, maybe 5k, with the dual zone control will all this switching to and fro cause issues as well?

Thank you buddy.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I threw this in the cooling section but Ill toss it here for you, CannabisJohn.

I am building a new 12k flip flop and have used mini's in the past w great success. I have to cool 2 rooms and would like to skip the multiple mini's and possibly go to an "all in one".

I like the Rheem RSNMA060JK 5 Ton, it comes charged and seems it should cool my 12k/4000btu's per bulb ballast combo fine? 12x4000=48000btu and the Rheem 5 Ton rating is 63k worth of cooling. come precharged and seems simple enough.

my concerns are redundancy?
also failure can be a concern?
can I run this dual zone? what else would I need to buy?

I know one room is lights on, the other is lights off, but still even with lights off, its sealed and fans and pumps will generate heat. Not much, maybe 5k, with the dual zone control will all this switching to and fro cause issues as well?

Thank you buddy.

I assume your lights are vented (because you use 4000 btus per 1 kw). I am still a bit worried. But I always worry. Bottom line is you will most likely be fine every day except the worst ones (such as 100F plus days). If you are willing to dim or turn off lights on the hottest days I say go for it . Just make sure your zoning controls and equipment is installed properly.

gumby420

gumby420

He is correct but I have seen it outside for years w/o any real problems. Did I do that?

Yes there was the yellow Romex running from one of the old ac units across the roof to the new unit. Cool thanks, i assumed it wouldnt be a problem if you installed it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom