Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HighLife 45

HighLife 45

Hey cj...Is there a way to hook up 2 ton window units to a programmable thermostat?

I have two 2ton units cooling one of my rooms and would like to keep it from dropping down to 68 degrees when the lights go off.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey cj...Is there a way to hook up 2 ton window units to a programmable thermostat?

I have two 2ton units cooling one of my rooms and would like to keep it from dropping down to 68 degrees when the lights go off.

You can do it but it is difficult. Need transformer(s) and relays.

R

Riskyplay11

I as most of us am having a hell of a time with my room in the summer. I have an idea about how to fix it but im not sure and then stumbled across this thread and BOOM, i know you guys can help!

So here's the run on my room's...i live in the pacific northwest, in a very warm part of the state, i grow in my basement and have it broken up into three rooms - veg room (12 x 12) bud room(11 x 10) and an extra room i use for drying. My bud room i run two 6" magnum xxl hoods with 1000 watt and two smaller sunmaster hoods with 600 watts. all hoods are sealed and i have a turbo 6" fan. I also run a co2 system into my room. Right now i have the largest portable ac i can find in my area, it is an lg 13000 btu unit and i it can only keep my room down between 86 - 88 when lights are on. With the exception of putting another ac unit in my room ive been racking my brain to find a better permanet souloution. i cut a hole in the wall and mounted the portable ac half in the room so it wouldnt be pulling my co2 enriched air out of the room. i also vent the hot air from it out of the house.

I am thinking about getting a heat-pump and furnace and putting it in the spare room i have with the heat pump outside and then just running ducting to the two rooms. i went on craigslist and found this:

HVAC system- Furnace and outside A/C unit, NOT a heatpump, Furnace is a 77,000 BTU 240 volt, FLA 4 amp, 1/3 HP unit. The outside unit is a GOODMAN 2 and 1/2 ton A/C unit. (model # G8C130181AE) You will need to purchase an "A" coil for the A/C .

I will put a picture with this, but i think this would more than be sufficent to cool both of my rooms. this is forsale for $400. With some minor wiring (i have 240 available) is this a good deal or do i just not know what im talking about? all input would be greatly appreciated

5I55La5Ee3K23G13Idc7fd8764f76eddc12ac.jpg

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I as most of us am having a hell of a time with my room in the summer. I have an idea about how to fix it but im not sure and then stumbled across this thread and BOOM, i know you guys can help!

So here's the run on my room's...i live in the pacific northwest, in a very warm part of the state, i grow in my basement and have it broken up into three rooms - veg room (12 x 12) bud room(11 x 10) and an extra room i use for drying. My bud room i run two 6" magnum xxl hoods with 1000 watt and two smaller sunmaster hoods with 600 watts. all hoods are sealed and i have a turbo 6" fan. I also run a co2 system into my room. Right now i have the largest portable ac i can find in my area, it is an lg 13000 btu unit and i it can only keep my room down between 86 - 88 when lights are on. With the exception of putting another ac unit in my room ive been racking my brain to find a better permanet souloution. i cut a hole in the wall and mounted the portable ac half in the room so it wouldnt be pulling my co2 enriched air out of the room. i also vent the hot air from it out of the house.

I am thinking about getting a heat-pump and furnace and putting it in the spare room i have with the heat pump outside and then just running ducting to the two rooms. i went on craigslist and found this:

HVAC system- Furnace and outside A/C unit, NOT a heatpump, Furnace is a 77,000 BTU 240 volt, FLA 4 amp, 1/3 HP unit. The outside unit is a GOODMAN 2 and 1/2 ton A/C unit. (model # G8C130181AE) You will need to purchase an "A" coil for the A/C .

I will put a picture with this, but i think this would more than be sufficent to cool both of my rooms. this is forsale for $400. With some minor wiring (i have 240 available) is this a good deal or do i just not know what im talking about? all input would be greatly appreciated

5I55La5Ee3K23G13Idc7fd8764f76eddc12ac.jpg

Could work nicely but if you are using it to do multiple rooms then you will need to do zoning dampers and controls. Is it R22 or R410A? Were valves closed on condensing unit before it was cut loose? If it's R22 you might have a problem finding an A coil. You will probably spend around $300-400 for coil and copper lines. Also you need an HVAC tech to do brazing ,evacuation, and start up.

Hello CJ. I'm looking for a central split ac for a 21k 1000x21 with adwings hoods. Which is about 7 tons of ac. What ac unit would you recommend? Does a central split work the same as mini splits? The air is circulated and no outside air comes in right? because there will be co2 added from bottles.
If there are 2 rooms 21k each can I use the same ac unit for 2 separate rooms or would I need 2 blowers and 2 compressors? Just trying to get an idea of how this works all works before I call hvac. Thanks.

darlingmaster

darlingmaster

CJ,
I have to recharge a mini split for a friend. It was installed before the room was built and it hummed away for 2 years until his landscaper bumped it real hard with a ride on mower and cracked the line set. Thankfully it was off when this happened so no compressor damage.
Anyways, got new line sets on it but I'm stumped on a few things. Do I vacuum just the line set or do I open the gas and liquid vales and vac the whole system? Normally these things are pre charged in the compressor and I'd hook up the line set and attach vac equipment to the service port while leaving the actual valves closed. But the system is completely devoid of r410a right now.
And when I charge it, do I charge with the unit on or off?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hello CJ. I'm looking for a central split ac for a 21k 1000x21 with adwings hoods. Which is about 7 tons of ac. What ac unit would you recommend? Does a central split work the same as mini splits? The air is circulated and no outside air comes in right? because there will be co2 added from bottles.
If there are 2 rooms 21k each can I use the same ac unit for 2 separate rooms or would I need 2 blowers and 2 compressors? Just trying to get an idea of how this works all works before I call hvac. Thanks.

My recommendation for 21kw of unvented lights is 11.5 tons. I use 6000 btus/hr of a/c per 1kw of unvented lights. I know what the engineers say (3413 btus/ 1kw) but that does not take into account room construction or additional equipment in room. Also I want your room cool on hottest of days. If you insulate properly my formula works well. If you do 2 rooms with 1 a/c I would suggest a small mini split for each room on off cycles (maybe 3 tons in your case). Also if you use 1 a/c for 2 rooms you need to install zoning controls to control each room properly. Yes central a/c units just circulate the air within the room. I would suggest a professional install.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

CJ,
I have to recharge a mini split for a friend. It was installed before the room was built and it hummed away for 2 years until his landscaper bumped it real hard with a ride on mower and cracked the line set. Thankfully it was off when this happened so no compressor damage.
Anyways, got new line sets on it but I'm stumped on a few things. Do I vacuum just the line set or do I open the gas and liquid vales and vac the whole system? Normally these things are pre charged in the compressor and I'd hook up the line set and attach vac equipment to the service port while leaving the actual valves closed. But the system is completely devoid of r410a right now.
And when I charge it, do I charge with the unit on or off?

If the lines were cracked with valves open then all R410A is gone so vacuum with valves left open. If for some reason valves were closed then leave them closed until you have vacuumed the new line set. Charge with R410A bottle on scale and charge what nameplate calls for if it will take it all. Then run unit and complete charging. Don't start unit w/o some R410A in system.

S

sicinsane

When sealing a room do you have to run both A/C and Co2? can you just run AC without the co2? I'm just asking because i've never ran co2 but my room has been getting hot. Atm i have an intake and exhaust. Intake through the window and exhaust through the attic. I'm just wondering if i can seal my room and run a portable A/C without the Co2 or keep the intake and exhaust and use the portable a/c?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

When sealing a room do you have to run both A/C and Co2? can you just run AC without the co2? I'm just asking because i've never ran co2 but my room has been getting hot. Atm i have an intake and exhaust. Intake through the window and exhaust through the attic. I'm just wondering if i can seal my room and run a portable A/C without the Co2 or keep the intake and exhaust and use the portable a/c?

If you're sealing the room fully then yes run CO2 and a/c.

evu80

evu80

quick question John

in a 20by20 room, how many drops should we have and where is the best place to have them? also what about returns? I'm going to use a 5 ton unit.

one last thing. is it worth paying 1700 more for a 16 seers unit over a 13 seers unit. Supposedly we're suppose to save 300 a year based on the manufacturer

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

quick question John

in a 20by20 room, how many drops should we have and where is the best place to have them? also what about returns? I'm going to use a 5 ton unit.

one last thing. is it worth paying 1700 more for a 16 seers unit over a 13 seers unit. Supposedly we're suppose to save 300 a year based on the manufacturer

You'll save more than that because your unit will run more than what they base your savings on. So yes spend the cash if you can. My best guess is that it'll pay for itself in 1-2 yrs. I would put supply air drops above lights. I would hang the air handler in middle of room if possible and have no return drops. Just leave it open on that end. Obviously you will want a 9.5 to 10 ft tall room to do this or put in one LARGE return thru wall or ceiling where unit sits outside room. Or 2 returns (1 at each end of room). Make sure placement of tstat is good. If you do a single return air drop make it 20 by 30 inches or two 20 by 20 returns.

blazeone44

blazeone44

Has anyone had any experience dealing with CJ personally installing their setup? Considering using him to install my commercial A/C, but just want a little more info/ pics if possible. Thanks for the help guys.

N

NBfrost

Hey cj can you help .. I just put a 9000w portable ac in my room cooling my 3 1000w hps .. it works awsome , but i am having a smell issue , i run a huge carbon filter on a 6 " fan with a short strait run of ducting to outside . but my portable is ducted outside seperatly and i can smeel a faint smell .. before i was running a 6000w window unit with a box buit around it . I dont wan t to go back to my window unit because i would have to build a new box for a bigger wall unit .. and thoughts ? thanks in advance .

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey cj can you help .. I just put a 9000w portable ac in my room cooling my 3 1000w hps .. it works awsome , but i am having a smell issue , i run a huge carbon filter on a 6 " fan with a short strait run of ducting to outside . but my portable is ducted outside seperatly and i can smeel a faint smell .. before i was running a 6000w window unit with a box buit around it . I dont wan t to go back to my window unit because i would have to build a new box for a bigger wall unit .. and thoughts ? thanks in advance .

Not sure except another carbon filter so room has no smell. If room has no smell then the a/c exhaust won't have smell either

NebulasINbloom

NebulasINbloom

Hey brotha, first of all, thanks for the great thread! I've learned a lot reading it! I made the mistake of buying an under powered mini split for my room. Still works very well when I add some fresh cold mountain air along with it. I have 2 10 x 10' tents put together that I'm flowering in. Each one has 3 1000 watt Gavitas (Exposed bulbs) and 1 plasma. So, that is 6,000watts and 2 plasmas in a 10 x 20' space. I have a Klimaire 18,000btu unit split in to 2 wall mount exchangers! It isn't cutting it! So I'm bring fresh air in from a window box I built. Should I dump the fresh cold air above my lights and let it mix in this way? The wall exchanger and the fresh air dumps are opposite of each other and I have air moving back towards the wall mount. It works well, but just curious if I should let that fresh air hit the floor and bounce up, or dump in on the lights and let it work around the tents...

Also, I'm moving deep deep in to the mountains after the new year. I have been looking at these bad boys http://opticlimate.absolutecs.gr/ Any experience or thoughts? They are dutch, and I have heard great things. They are water cooled ACs, I'll have ice cold well water, and could potentially do geo-thermal circulation to cool it too. Let me know what you think buddy!

Again, Thanks for your time,
Neb

NebulasINbloom

NebulasINbloom

P.S. Klimaire makes a great mini split! I really like mine

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey brotha, first of all, thanks for the great thread! I've learned a lot reading it! I made the mistake of buying an under powered mini split for my room. Still works very well when I add some fresh cold mountain air along with it. I have 2 10 x 10' tents put together that I'm flowering in. Each one has 3 1000 watt Gavitas (Exposed bulbs) and 1 plasma. So, that is 6,000watts and 2 plasmas in a 10 x 20' space. I have a Klimaire 18,000btu unit split in to 2 wall mount exchangers! It isn't cutting it! So I'm bring fresh air in from a window box I built. Should I dump the fresh cold air above my lights and let it mix in this way? The wall exchanger and the fresh air dumps are opposite of each other and I have air moving back towards the wall mount. It works well, but just curious if I should let that fresh air hit the floor and bounce up, or dump in on the lights and let it work around the tents...

Also, I'm moving deep deep in to the mountains after the new year. I have been looking at these bad boys http://opticlimate.absolutecs.gr/ Any experience or thoughts? They are dutch, and I have heard great things. They are water cooled ACs, I'll have ice cold well water, and could potentially do geo-thermal circulation to cool it too. Let me know what you think buddy!

Again, Thanks for your time,
Neb

Be careful with water cooled a/c units with water is that is too cold. Check specs for water inlet temps. Make sure you are in specs. My guess is that they are very fancy with usually means overpriced especially for what we do. I would put my money in a high quality high efficiency properly sized mini split. Cold air falls so bring it in high.

NebulasINbloom

NebulasINbloom

Good point. I am simply researching them, though. As for the fresh air... I'm just concerned about the super cold air in the winter, and the bare bulbs I guess. Thanks for the feedback.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

How cold is it neb?the mitsubishi hyper heat pump minis say there good down to -13 and they are hi seer also.

Top Bottom