Grow Room design-RDWC questions and ideas

• Thread starter Cool_Beans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

We would inject it into the flow of the loadout mains with a big venturi.
Sorry wasn't referring to your process. I see guys using pumps with venturis inside a closed res and it does nothing to help O2 sat, nor drive off CO2.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

I'll just put this here - measuring DO with a probe both in my system and on the bench - venturis do fuck all nothing to raise DO. For the most part airstones raise DO by stirring and increasing atmospheric contact with water. The bubbles themselves in the water don't do the O2 exchange nearly as much as the surface of the water does. So a pump without a venturi stirring the water will be just about as effective as one with a venturi.

If the venturi is sucking air from inside the res, you are wasting time. If sucking from outside, at least you are pulling in more atmosphere to keep free O2 high in the res atmosphere and pushing out CO2.
I understand, I was looking for a way to replicate the effect of the stones without having them in my buckets.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

In bioflock shrimp farming systems, the bacteria they add is combating the Shrimp for 02. If they want to increase stocking density, they must increase o2 levels. Venturies are the most efficient way of increase 02 levels in large systems of water. Again, . . google everything lol

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I understand, I was looking for a way to replicate the effect of the stones without having them in my buckets.
Surface agitation is what you need. Airstones, waterfalls, and pumps with high flow all do this.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Let me be more clear.

This type of pump with the air hose inside the res will not help you. It makes bubbles but does not pressurize the output in any way. So for stirring nute tanks and things like that, it will only stir not oxygenate.

A venturi that feeds into piping with a restriction that increases pressure and holds it there in the pipe for some time before releasing into the res will, assuming the air source is from an area of normal atmospheric O2 levels.

Sorry if I confused. Not all venturis or installations are the same.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Lets say you have a tote with 30 gallons of Nutrient water in it. If you have no airstones and no pump yet you leave the lid off, you will slowly develop of biofilm on the top of your water surface. If you put a small pump in the system, that does not cause surface agitation, and you leave the lid off, you will still get the biofilm on the entire surface this will stop all 02 from entering the water via surface gas exchange. If you only use an airstone you will get a biofilm but where the airbubbles come up and pop and make waves, they will be pushing the biofilm away. If you shut the stones off, the biofilm will quickly cover that water area that was bubbeling. This will actually increase the 02 levels of the water, even with the biofilm, just at the slowest possible level. Gas exchanges at the surface, except in the case of nanobubbles that can stay submerged for long periods of time. The gas is not exchanged while the bubble is traveling up the water, its more less increase the surface mixing when it pops, which increase gas exchange. Lets start with the first example again, if you only have a large pump, and your creating waves and you have no airstone, this will stop the biofilm from forming on the surface, but now it can stick on the side walls easier cause of the waves. Now if you add an airstone and a water pump, you are not only mixing the water and creating an even 02/nutrient water column, you are agitating the surface with the bubbles. Your creating small waves and then pulling the new molecules down. If you do not mix the water and it sits still, the o2 levels will decrease as you go deeper since gas is exchanged at the surface. A pump help create an even water column. A airstone with waterpump, waterfall, or ANY venturi, will all be beneficial. I choose the non pressurized venturi fitting but will eventually switch to the pressurized ones. I use it because I dont have to buy airstones now. There are alot of guys who legit just shove the airline in the res not attached to a stone or pump. Its pretty much how my 4 plant buckets work. I dont have enough pressure in them to create a venturi effect. But I also dont have to dig the airstone out of the roots, clean it only to find out its half clogged. Then there are waterfalls, which does basically the same thing. Waterfalls create surface agitation, keep an even o2 column, and there are no extra moving parts. If you go waterfalls you dont need a venturi fitting or airstones. I didnt like the waterfalls because im in love with venturis lol. . .and I dont even use them the correct way. Its just so much easier to put a pump in the res, and attach an airline to it. Im actually installing systems for others and if there was an easier way, id be doing it. Not saying easier is good for you, perhaps you should buy an 02 probe and collect your own data like moe. I do not lol

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Let me be more clear.

View attachment 1309729

This type of pump with the air hose inside the res will not help you. It makes bubbles but does not pressurize the output in any way. So for stirring nute tanks and things like that, it will only stir not oxygenate.

A venturi that feeds into piping with a restriction that increases pressure and holds it there in the pipe for some time before releasing into the res will, assuming the air source is from an area of normal atmospheric O2 levels.

Yes, you're 100% correct. I'm talking about the latter. They make 3/4" and 1/2" pvc versions that people screw on the end of their garden hoses to inject liquid fertilizer. I have a couple on the way w some bulkheads and I also have a stack of old cat litter tubs to play around with. I'll report back if I find anything interesting or potentially useful. Worse case I can use them to feed my veggie garden outside. I ran underground irrigation lines to raised beds, so they'd work great there.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

I was organizing the garage and found about 15 feet of 3" schedule 40 I forgot I had. Score..

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

This is what I ordered to play around with and so far it works pretty damn good. The valve let's you dial in how much action you want. This was 3/4", think I'll also try the 1/2 version to see if I can get the nice champagne bubbles w lower gpm. The 700gph pump came with one of the input "venturi" adapters and a little vent line, but it didnt amount to asshole for putting bubbles in even by itself in the bucket. Also cool thing to play with - when you shut the pump off the water will backfeed up the vent and settle @ the waterline of your bucket/system. I'm gonna try to use that in my setup I think.

20221211 123941
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Getting everything ready to start a small 2 bucket grow to test my setup out before building out the new space too much. Have 3 in week 5.5 flower in my tent so I'm gonna stick my clones in dwc buckets to get them out of the aerogarden, they been in there about 2 weeks too long and are not all that happy w me right now lol. This should buy me some time to get my rdwc setup finished and ready to go in the tent when the 3 soil plants are done.

ninjadip

ninjadip

looks good!

week 3 is when i start trimming those fan leaves, especially the ones that are already in shade on the bottom or under another leaf

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Yeah, I should start taking more off. I'm leery because my 1st grow I took off a lot at what was the wrong time for the plant, the big defoliation too early, in combination with all the other things I was doing wrong, really put the plant in a rut for about 2 weeks when it should've been hammering.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

I took clones off the plant on the left since it was a total beast grower from the very start. I had to crop and train it quite a lot during veg so it wouldnt totally run away from the other two. It could have easily filled that 3x3 by itself. I'm excited to see what it can do with more space and less intervention.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Started building out some new grow space, I should be able to get about two more 3x3 tents worth of space which will be lovely for testing my little bucket setup. I decided to keep it simple for now and do something more easily digestible to cut my teeth a little before building out a larger space elsewhere. There is just too much I dont know and I dont want to spend a bunch of time and money flying blind.

My soil girls are cranking away, they smell outrageous. I think I'm in the middle of week 7 since flip. This seems to be going way way better than my first try.

20230103 165550
20230103 165232
20230103 165216
20230103 165257
20230103 165701
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

This is what I'm cooking so far. I should wrap up framing and electrical today. The entry area is getting sheetrock. Grow space will be under the stairs and lined with foam board. I will have the control station in the entry area. The clones are keeping me company and put on a bunch of new growth last night.

20230104 074231
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Any recommendations for a good tds/ph and temp monitor?

Also, I have flora trio, cal mag, epsom, hydroguard, pH down. Is there anything else I aught to have for my first grow? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible for the first few runs.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Any recommendations for a good tds/ph and temp monitor?

I use the HydroMaster HM-500. It works well and is a lot cheaper than the Blue Lab. I am getting ready to buy another one and I think I saw them for about $225. I like it enough to buy another one fwiw.

Also, I have flora trio, cal mag, epsom, hydroguard, pH down. Is there anything else I aught to have for my first grow? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible for the first few runs.

I use Silica in place of PH up to get the buffer built up, PH Down to adjust rising PH. I also use plant enzymes. Not sure you need epsom salt if you are using cal/mag.

Looking killer bro!

ninjadip

ninjadip

I know nobody will concur with my choice but this is what i use. I use that controller, but replace the stock electrode with an Apera one. Calibrate it and i'm golden. I have been using this combo for near 2 months. I like it so much i'm buying another set now that's on a super sale of $34 USD to use for my other setup.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Let me be more clear.

View attachment 1309729

Because gas exchange happens where air and water meet would using a pond pump that shoots water into the air as a design feature be useful in oxygenating the water? I'm guessing it would be the same as a waterfall.

Might be a useful setup when the Mrs complains about having a water tank in the middle of her dining room. You can say it's a Feng Shui water feature.

Top Bottom