Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Robert72181

Robert72181

hiboy

hiboy

The problem is you're only able to put 1800 watts maximum on the 15 amp but that will trip the breaker
basically you're supposed to go 80% of that
So figure you can run about 1500 Watts on that breaker
Hb

Robert72181

Robert72181

The problem is you're only able to put 1800 watts maximum on the 15 amp but that will trip the breaker
basically you're supposed to go 80% of that
So figure you can run about 1500 Watts on that breaker
Hb
Is there anyway to change that different fuses or something or ?? Is there anyway I could make or have made between four and eight plugs directly plugged in to the welding outlet it's on a double breaker 50 amp I believe

Robert72181

Robert72181

You could turn that welding plug into a small sub panel or wire it straight to a light control (titan)
There probably isnt neutral present for 120v
Hb
Thanks man got to figured it out now

P

Pntgio

I turned on my lights earlier today and started to smell burnt plastic after about an hour. Not sure if the problem was due to a faulty outlet or was a result of overpowering. House has 15 amp breakers. I was running the breaker at max capacity with no issues until today. Total power should be around 1800 watts.

IMG 20170211 223437
IMG 20170211 223801 385
gwheels

gwheels

I have a 230 volt 20 amp plug in my garage. Is there any way i can use that to make something work out there other than my compressor ?

zoneblazed

zoneblazed

Alright here's my setup briefly. I'm growing out in a shed running an extension off a GFCI on a 15 amp breaker. I'm running a 1000 and a 600 and had a 400 running off the neighbors power (long story short, the shed has an identical sister in the backyard of the neighbors house and they are connected on a circuit under ground.) I know i shouldn't have but I couldn't resist the extra power at my hands. But now I am not using the neighbors power anymore and I can't run all three lights anymore.

Sooo the washing machine has a 20 amp breaker but the machine uses only 10 amps. Can I do a swap of the 15 amp breaker on the gfci with the 20 amp on the washing machine circuit? Or does the gfci box have its own 15 amp breaker that wouldn't let me run 20 amps anyway? Sorry if this is kinda jumbled, and thanks!

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I turned on my lights earlier today and started to smell burnt plastic after about an hour. Not sure if the problem was due to a faulty outlet or was a result of overpowering. House has 15 amp breakers. I was running the breaker at max capacity with no issues until today. Total power should be around 1800 watts.
Dude that is way to high for a 15 amp breaker! 1000 watts max on a 20 amp breaker not 15.
Your lucky you caught it before burning your place down.

hiboy

hiboy

I have a 230 volt 20 amp plug in my garage. Is there any way i can use that to make something work out there other than my compressor ?

Yes
Safely u can run 3 1000 watt lamps
Hb

Last edited:
hiboy

hiboy

Alright here's my setup briefly. I'm growing out in a shed running an extension off a GFCI on a 15 amp breaker. I'm running a 1000 and a 600 and had a 400 running off the neighbors power (long story short, the shed has an identical sister in the backyard of the neighbors house and they are connected on a circuit under ground.) I know i shouldn't have but I couldn't resist the extra power at my hands. But now I am not using the neighbors power anymore and I can't run all three lights anymore.

Sooo the washing machine has a 20 amp breaker but the machine uses only 10 amps. Can I do a swap of the 15 amp breaker on the gfci with the 20 amp on the washing machine circuit? Or does the gfci box have its own 15 amp breaker that wouldn't let me run 20 amps anyway? Sorry if this is kinda jumbled, and thanks!

Not unless your gfci and 15 amp breaker has #12 guage wire
Probably has # 14 which is code for 15 amp
120v x 20 amp breaker = 2400 watts
120v x 15 amp breaker = 1800 watts
Ohms law:
amps x volts = watts
Watts / volts = amps
Hb

Last edited:
hiboy

hiboy

Open the outlet if your confident doing that and make sure wires are pigtailed ( only one black and white connected to outlet) so your load doesn't carry thru the outlet
1800 watts not safe to run for a long period of time
Also look into installing a 20 amp outlet
Hb

Last edited:
Broken

Broken

Hiboy I am about to drywall a room in my basement that has been framed for years. It current has 2 outlet boxes and a single bulb room light on its own 20 amp breaker. I plan on adding a second run into the room with another 20 amp breaker.

What size wire should I run?

My setup will be a 4x8 tent placed in a 7x8 room. (bought a setup used that had the the tent , inside the room will give me a big enough area and should need less cfm to pull the smell out and give me one more step to keep it out of site.)

I have 3- 600 watt Yield Lab MH/HPS light kits. I figure I could run 2 lights on one circuit and the 3rd off the other as well as my fans?

hiboy

hiboy

Hiboy I am about to drywall a room in my basement that has been framed for years. It current has 2 outlet boxes and a single bulb room light on its own 20 amp breaker. I plan on adding a second run into the room with another 20 amp breaker.

What size wire should I run?

My setup will be a 4x8 tent placed in a 7x8 room. (bought a setup used that had the the tent , inside the room will give me a big enough area and should need less cfm to pull the smell out and give me one more step to keep it out of site.)

I have 3- 600 watt Yield Lab MH/HPS light kits. I figure I could run 2 lights on one circuit and the 3rd off the other as well as my fans?

That would work
# 12 wire thhn Romex
But I like to plan for any upgrades like maybe going to 1000 watters
And more air etc
So that being said I would run 6/3 romex and mount a small sub panel or land it into a light timer
Hb

gwheels

gwheels

Yes
Hb

My question is.....is there an easy way to do this? The wire I have going to the garage is armored cable but if I remember right the 230 volt compressor does not use the ground. Would it be possible to get an electrician to not crucify what my father did (which was all to spec) and add a box to that 230 so I can run my lighting on 110 and if I need the compressor turn off the lights and run the comp.

I am an electricity retard so I would rather it be done by someone else BUT i do not want to get the box red tagged or something.

hiboy

hiboy

Yes
Hb

My question is.....is there an easy way to do this? The wire I have going to the garage is armored cable but if I remember right the 230 volt compressor does not use the ground. Would it be possible to get an electrician to not crucify what my father did (which was all to spec) and add a box to that 230 so I can run my lighting on 110 and if I need the compressor turn off the lights and run the comp.

I am an electricity retard so I would rather it be done by someone else BUT i do not want to get the box red tagged or something.
Most likely u can't use it as 120v and 230 volt unless there is four wires present
Open up the box if confident ( u can turn off breaker to be safer) and see what's in the armored cable
Hb

Broken

Broken

@hiboy I thought about what you said about liking to upgrade. would it be ok to message you with some questions and pictures?

Top Bottom