Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
THELORAX802

THELORAX802

I am not worried about anything other than making sure i am using the proper methods to run these 600's (extension cords that can withstand 600 mag ballasts) and 400's. When i bought them i just went out, bought a ext cord with a man clock timer and plugged and played! Never realizing i could be fucking thi8ngs up.

sixstring

sixstring

I am not worried about anything other than making sure i am using the proper methods to run these 600's (extension cords that can withstand 600 mag ballasts) and 400's. When i bought them i just went out, bought a ext cord with a man clock timer and plugged and played! Never realizing i could be fucking thi8ngs up.

You should not be using extension cords on that size grow.1 ballast maybe even then it better be a heavy duty cord and short lol.
Switch to cob led and cut your veg power in half and flower by 1/3 easy peazy :)

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

Cob leds on strips dude? I actually bought a surge protected ext cord dude and neevr once had i had more than one 600 ballast plugged into any 1 ext cord, but it would have a inline fan plugged in. Just trying to understand how to properly get bigger safely. So if i am not conveying that , i want to!

hiboy

hiboy

No red flags will be drawn if you only have 1000 Watts
I know people that went from 150 to 600 $ a month with no flags
Hb

Quban

Quban

One thing I've learned is that you don't believe what the panel says because so many things get changed and updated and panel labeling is not always accurate
Go ahead and run your 125 amp you can always derate the sub breaker if you have a problem with the house tripping the main but looking at your panel it is highly doubtful that it will
Hb

Thanks for the response. I guess today I'm going to do a survey of the electronics that are in the home and calculate the amps that will be used I just don't want to invest money that I don't have to because this is a rental and it's a temporary operation not permanent the run is going to be about a hundred to a hundred and fifty feet but the test garage is very far from panel

Quban

Quban

Can I use aluminum wiring to run the 1:25 amp number to line to save $?

hiboy

hiboy

Can I use aluminum wiring to run the 1:25 amp number to line to save $?

You probably could but we always pull copper I don't know prices on it but you have to step up the wire size also which also means stepping up the pipe size most likely though inch and a half pvc will fit whatever you need
Electronics in the house don't add up for anything the only thing you're looking for if you're trying to calculate amperage is 240 stuff and that's about it the only 120 power in the house is a microwave dishwasher refrigerator etc. but you said there's no kitchens in there so most likely there's nothing to worry about but it will cost you a pretty penny to buy all the stuff you need for that garage run
Hb

Quban

Quban

Thanks again for the guidance that's the thing since I'm only on the year lease I only have potentially about three crops depending how I space them out or a few more smaller-sized crops if I do it monthly I'm just wondering how much I should invest to get this going compared to how much I'm going to get back after everything is said and done since it's only a year lease

hiboy

hiboy

Thanks again for the guidance that's the thing since I'm only on the year lease I only have potentially about three crops depending how I space them out or a few more smaller-sized crops if I do it monthly I'm just wondering how much I should invest to get this going compared to how much I'm going to get back after everything is said and done since it's only a year lease
Honestly I probably wouldn't
I came back to change this response I definitely would not do it for one year
Too much work building too much work growing to pull it down
Hb

Quban

Quban

Honestly I probably wouldn't
I came back to change this response I definitely would not do it for one year
Too much work building too much work growing to pull it down
Hb

Thanks for your feedback Highboy... I was worried about that.

I'm not so much worried about the amount of work as the amount of money invested. I have a large grow under me in the past I'm talking 5 room Warehouse Grow 600 amps, so I know what I'm doing but this will be my first solo project. the garage is already built walls are already in place roof is already in place what I am worried about is investing in the lights, the initial run to power the subpanel, and the power for electricity usage. Will these costs exceed my return? I'm on my way to the house now to measure the square footage of the garage and calculate power consumption at its Max Capacity

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
@hiboy
I'm going to have a new build 3 phase power run to new setup.
Looking @ 480Y/277v
I thinking around 2000 amp/3000amp service to start might have to upgrade later, Looking to run 120v, 240v, 277v, & 3 phase 460 for large AC units, Gavita 277v lights, other misc 240v and 120v items.

My understanding is I will need a step down on a 277v branch to get a 240v/120v , Is this correct ?

Also for my setup do you think the 480Y/277v is the best 3 phase setup for this build ?

Also do you have a place you recommend to order panels/transformers from and what is the best brand to go with...Thanks

Last edited:
hiboy

hiboy

@hiboy
I'm going to have a new build 3 phase power run to new setup.
Looking @ 480Y/277v
I thinking around 2000 amp/3000amp service to start might have to upgrade later, Looking to run 120v, 240v, 277v, & 3 phase 460 for large AC units, Gavita 277v lights, other misc 240v and 120v items.

My understanding is I will need a step down on a 277v branch to get a 240v/120v , Is this correct ?

Also for my setup do you think the 480Y/277v is the best 3 phase setup for this build ?

Also do you have a place you recommend to order panels/transformers from and what is the best brand to go with...Thanks

Yes 480v primary is great for ac units
Gavita makes that voltage (277v) also, but if you ever move your stick with that voltage
Yes you will need a step down transformer to 400 amp 120/240 or multiple 200 amps
Gona get complicated
If you don't have electrical knowledge hire someone.
What is your general area
Hb

hiboy

hiboy

14 gauge wire extension cords minimum per ballast @ 1000 watts
16 guage per 600 watts
Length under 100'
Hb

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

Why thankyou kind sir! I really do appreciate folks reciprocating!

Robert72181

Robert72181

Post any questions for electrical advice here.
hb
Got a question for you boss first of all let me start by first of all let me start by I rent this place is built in 1974 From the breaker box I have a dedicated welding plug No use for it and I forgot to mention my living room and garage are on the same breaker can I exchange it to several regular plugs basically wired up so I can run my growtent in the garage I think it's a 30 amp fuse what it work

hiboy

hiboy

Got a question for you boss first of all let me start by first of all let me start by I rent this place is built in 1974 From the breaker box I have a dedicated welding plug No use for it and I forgot to mention my living room and garage are on the same breaker can I exchange it to several regular plugs basically wired up so I can run my growtent in the garage I think it's a 30 amp fuse what it work

What size is the breaker all of your living room outlets are supposed to be 20 amp maximum or 15 amp depending on the wire
sounds like somethings wrong with the wiring in your panel
Hb

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

Hey hi boy, later in the year once it warms up here(late april-may) would you be willing to walk me through wiring up a huge foam insulated basement? I got plans!

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

There only one litt;e light outlet in the entire space, of which has gotta be 20' wide, 100' long, with 7 ft ceilings, shit even the harvestman spiders down there are pretty chill. thankyou for your help, ahead of time!

Robert72181

Robert72181

What size is the breaker all of your living room outlets are supposed to be 20 amp maximum or 15 amp depending on the wire
sounds like somethings wrong with the wiring in your panel
Hb
Kind of a joke it's a 15 amp if I'm running my thousand I can't have any AC in the house Way too much shit running through a 15 amp breaker That's the main reason I use LED because if the breaker flips LED comes right back on I had to wait too long with my HPs so do you think I could have that plug rewired with 4 to 8 regular plugs

Top Bottom