Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Broken

Broken

@hiboy I ordered 240v cords for my ballast and got them longer than needed, 15 feet. I can return them and even with me paying shipping it would still be cheaper to get 6 foot cords. My question is would the difference in length cause me to draw more power? or work my harder ? Thank you

hiboy

hiboy

@hiboy I ordered 240v cords for my ballast and got them longer than needed, 15 feet. I can return them and even with me paying shipping it would still be cheaper to get 6 foot cords. My question is would the difference in length cause me to draw more power? or work my harder ? Thank you
No sir nothing will be changed
Only thing hurting would be your wallet but they really aren't that much around 15 or 20 bucks I believe when I had to order some
Hb

GLGC.MI

GLGC.MI

Lost power on the circuit shown. Won't come back. No idea what to do. Moved lights to another set of plugs but I'm still without juice to a lot of the building.

IMG 0489
IMG 0487
Broken

Broken

I feel stupid asking but did you turn off all breakers and then back on? I have had one that would show on but it had been kicked but not reset to the off position.

Dan789

Dan789

Get in contact with an Electrician/ Electrical contractor to get this taken care of. imho

hiboy

hiboy

Lost power on the circuit shown. Won't come back. No idea what to do. Moved lights to another set of plugs but I'm still without juice to a lot of the building.
Bulldog breakers suck
You can still get replacements for them
Push in and out multiple times sometimes that will reset it
Hb

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

Hey @hiboy quick question. Does the old school 4 wire 220v run like two 110s? I keep blowing breakers in my room and am running extension cords and stuff which I hate. But I have an old 220v washer hookup that doesn't get used. Was wondering if I could reroute those wires (we'll probably an electrician) and run more 110's in there as most my stuff is set up to run 110 now.

hiboy

hiboy

Hey @hiboy quick question. Does the old school 4 wire 220v run like two 110s? I keep blowing breakers in my room and am running extension cords and stuff which I hate. But I have an old 220v washer hookup that doesn't get used. Was wondering if I could reroute those wires (we'll probably an electrician) and run more 110's in there as most my stuff is set up to run 110 now.

A question a question I am so happy to answer questions thank you
been twiddling my thumbs not knowing what to do
Yes four wire is a hot hot neutral ground so you have a couple options you can do
You can run those wires and make your own little subpanel and then branch off with 20 amp breaker's for whatever you want or you could take those wires and run them into a lighting control like a Titan and just plug your ballasts in
Or you could just land each hot into an outlet and plug the lights in but the you'll need to change your breakers to 20 amp because plugs are only rated up to 20 amp
Hb

Homesteader

Homesteader

So I'm looking to redo-a room to get it to code level if I can. I have a lung room which houses my controllers but currently pass the cords through a hole in the wall to the grow which I assume/been told breaks code. In order to get this right, do I install linked boxes from one room to another and then make patch cords? I'm sorry Im confused on what to do.

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

A question a question I am so happy to answer questions thank you
been twiddling my thumbs not knowing what to do
Yes four wire is a hot hot neutral ground so you have a couple options you can do
You can run those wires and make your own little subpanel and then branch off with 20 amp breaker's for whatever you want or you could take those wires and run them into a lighting control like a Titan and just plug your ballasts in
Or you could just land each hot into an outlet and plug the lights in but the you'll need to change your breakers to 20 amp because plugs are only rated up to 20 amp
Hb
Awesome. Thanks so much HB!

hiboy

hiboy

So I'm looking to redo-a room to get it to code level if I can. I have a lung room which houses my controllers but currently pass the cords through a hole in the wall to the grow which I assume/been told breaks code. In order to get this right, do I install linked boxes from one room to another and then make patch cords? I'm sorry Im confused on what to do.
Yes you are correct cords passing through walls is not
Code
To me when building a grow room I'm not really concerned about codes I'm more concerned about safety issues and if you're the only one in there it's not really that unsafe to have some cords passing through a hole in drywall
If you really want to make it different I can figure out a couple ways but to me it's not really that unsafe
Hb

Homesteader

Homesteader

I currently have about 5-6 cords through the same hole. Fans, lights, dehuey and such., probably fairly safe but just looking out for issues. Would it be okay to I was to set up a four gang box on each side of the wall that act just as a jumper to accommodate the 8 outlets? Then make male to male patches to the controllers? Is that something I should consider? code? Looking to possibly rent this property out in a few years, and just trying to dot my i's with it now while I can. Thanks

Dan789

Dan789

Hey all, not to get some shit started, but there's a reference book called the NEC (National Electrical Code), it's at your local library. Just start reading it, and most of these type questions will get answered. Start with section 210 on branch circuits, 225 outside branch circuits, then on to 240 over current, and then section 300 wiring methods. Take a glance at 310 to get an idea what size wire you should be using then section 400 for these temporary cords. After twenty years or so you'll know half of what you'll need for all these situations you're outlining. Get some local (in person help) but start educating yourself, put some time in otherwise you'll never know what you need and have to be reliant for online help that might/might not answer your questions correctly.

hiboy

hiboy

Hey all, not to get some shit started, but there's a reference book called the NEC (National Electrical Code), it's at your local library. Just start reading it, and most of these type questions will get answered. Start with section 210 on branch circuits, 225 outside branch circuits, then on to 240 over current, and then section 300 wiring methods. Take a glance at 310 to get an idea what size wire you should be using then section 400 for these temporary cords. After twenty years or so you'll know half of what you'll need for all these situations you're outlining. Get some local (in person help) but start educating yourself, put some time in otherwise you'll never know what you need and have to be reliant for online help that might/might not answer your questions correctly.
It's hard enough for a skilled contractor to interpret that book let alone these pot heads
Plus what would I do with all my free time
Hb

hiboy

hiboy

I currently have about 5-6 cords through the same hole. Fans, lights, dehuey and such., probably fairly safe but just looking out for issues. Would it be okay to I was to set up a four gang box on each side of the wall that act just as a jumper to accommodate the 8 outlets? Then make male to male patches to the controllers? Is that something I should consider? code? Looking to possibly rent this property out in a few years, and just trying to dot my i's with it now while I can. Thanks

Easiest way would be to do like your thinking a box behind a box but instead just put outlets in them and get a metal belkin surge strip
Hb

Dan789

Dan789

Point taken, peace. But it would help to let these "Potheads" know,where all this info is being culled from, just in case they're interested.

G

GrowNbudz

Awesome thread @hiboy
OK, I have a 24x45 building split into three rooms. I have a 24 x 31 flower, 12 x 12 veg and a 6x12 seedling/clone room. I have a 4 ton heating and cooling unit. I plan on having 12 1k lights on 6 light movers in flower, 3 1k lights on 2 light movers in veg. And several T5 in clone room. Of course some fans, maybe exhaust but I'm really leaning to a seal room.
I have a 200 amp panel on a pole about 50 feet from the building that feeds another 100w panel in the building. Is the 100w panel enough? And how should I wire the lights so they don't trip or overload. Should I buy a light controller or wire xx amount of lights on their own circuit? I'm not sure on how I should wire each room.

Thank you for your help.

lurrabq

lurrabq

Easiest way would be to do like your thinking a box behind a box but instead just put outlets in them and get a metal belkin surge strip
Hb
Or, just drill thru the drywall, put a 2" conduit sleeve thru the hole. Finish it off at both ends with a nylon bushing. Then you can add or subtract cords as necessary.

hiboy

hiboy

Awesome thread @hiboy
OK, I have a 24x45 building split into three rooms. I have a 24 x 31 flower, 12 x 12 veg and a 6x12 seedling/clone room. I have a 4 ton heating and cooling unit. I plan on having 12 1k lights on 6 light movers in flower, 3 1k lights on 2 light movers in veg. And several T5 in clone room. Of course some fans, maybe exhaust but I'm really leaning to a seal room.
I have a 200 amp panel on a pole about 50 feet from the building that feeds another 100w panel in the building. Is the 100w panel enough? And how should I wire the lights so they don't trip or overload. Should I buy a light controller or wire xx amount of lights on their own circuit? I'm not sure on how I should wire each room.

Thank you for your help.
Is that a three phase panel or a single phase panel it will make a big difference
If it's single phase hundred amps would not work you have 63 A alone on lights without t5 at least 30 or 40 on air conditioning along with all your fans and Blah blah blah
Hb

G

GrowNbudz

@hiboy
I was in a hurry this morning and didn't explain it 100% correctly, I do apologize. I have attached a sketch.

So, I just upgraded to a 200 amp panel which is installed on a pole about 50' away from my building. I do have a breaker box inside my building that runs off that 200 amp panel, however that breaker box has NO main breaker, just two rows of 10 spaces on each side, so enough space for 20 breakers. With no main breaker in that breaker box will that breaker panel work? If not how do you suggest I wire this building to suit my needs?

Thank you sir!

View attachment LM.pdf
Top Bottom