Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

terrapin11

could i run, say, two 600w's off the 240v then just disperse everything else over the convenience circuits (last 600, a/c, fans, etc.)?

Dan789

Dan789

@hiboy

Come to find out the wires overhead to my building are to small for a 100 amp or bigger. So I now need to run #2 from my 200 amp service panel to my building. But at least I'll definitely have 200 amps at my building.

I'll have 16 lights in flower, do you recommend a Titan light controller for those?
Check your roll, to sustain 200 amps via conduit to your panel your going to need correctly sized wire, the correct type of insulation and whether it's, copper or aluminum, and thwn vs tw. (NEC section 310.60). Assumptions based on incorrect information won't help you down the line, when that wire burns up inside the conduit, probably in the middle of your grow. imho

Dan789

Dan789

could i run, say, two 600w's off the 240v then just disperse everything else over the convenience circuits (last 600, a/c, fans, etc.)?
I'm not trying to bust your balls, but you can't just plug shit in without having the capacity in those respective circuits. Imho you'll need someone with sufficient electrical "savvy" to noodle out your situation, figure if your panel has spaces for new c/bs, and how to extend some "dedicated" circuits to where you want to grow. I appreciate all the "macgyver" improvisation, but you need someone to physically install some new circuits for you. Until you come to that realization, you won't get too far. Good luck

fatawa

fatawa

'll have 16 lights in flower, do you recommend a Titan light controller for those?
id run those on hubs..u can pull 4 240v circuits and break ea into 4 110v...least thats what i do cause i hav multiple lights

fatawa

fatawa

600's and an a/c plus other equipment definitely took too much for 1 circuit
def.....i cant believe it didnt trip..i can guarantee yur wire was getting warm.i run 1000w lights but if my memory serves me right a new 600wdigital/dimmable ballast draws 8amps.so there is no way u wernt pressing yur luck

sixstring

sixstring

def.....i cant believe it didnt trip..i can guarantee yur wire was getting warm.i run 1000w lights but if my memory serves me right a new 600wdigital/dimmable ballast draws 8amps.so there is no way u wernt pressing yur luck
600w draws about 5 amps @ 120v and 2.5 @ 240v if you run a 1000w @ 120v it will draw just over 8 amps,thats why most smart growers use 240v for hid lighting

fatawa

fatawa

if you run a 1000w 2 120v it will draw just over 8 amps,thats why most smart growers use 240v for hid lighting
newer ones already come with that wiring.and 1000w pulls 11amps 4sure(no offense i hav 8 of them)but im talking bout a seperate hub,transformer basicaly..literaly breaks 1 240v circuit into 4 outlets.i use them cause my pumps r 8amps each,so instead of running 30amp 10/2 circuit for each light/pump(which wud pull 19amps with 1 light,1pump i do the hubs and i can plug 2 fans in after i plug 1 light,1pump

fatawa

fatawa

20170331 113319
20170331 113104
Ran outside to make sure i wasnt way off.ha

T

terrapin11

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but you can't just plug shit in without having the capacity in those respective circuits. Imho you'll need someone with sufficient electrical "savvy" to noodle out your situation, figure if your panel has spaces for new c/bs, and how to extend some "dedicated" circuits to where you want to grow. I appreciate all the "macgyver" improvisation, but you need someone to physically install some new circuits for you. Until you come to that realization, you won't get too far. Good luck

not busting my balls, thanks for the response. i appreciate all of the insight and help.
i'm just trying to set up my little grow after moving, and slightly upgrading if possible.
in my last grow all of my equipment wasn't on one circuit, rather several. that's how it was able to work, no? i just didn't use those circuits when the room was on (12 hours on).
for example, if i were to use the dryer circuit (240v outlet)-i would never use the actual dryer. i know, "macgyver" bs-but that's what i gots in a rented home.
i certainly don't want to add a third 600w if it's unwise.

fatawa

fatawa

in my last grow all of my equipment wasn't on one circuit, rather several. that's how it was able to work, no
it had to of been..idt u would of had np with it like that.probably just luck..is there empty spaces in breaker?

fatawa

fatawa

If possible id put at least lights on dedicatd circuit.safest n smartest way.all the extras pumps,fans,etc shud b fine running off already establishd circuits.

T

terrapin11

this is my current panel.
all i have plugged in is a T5 eight bulb (4ft).

Dan789

Dan789

From the looks of the panel you've got plenty of spaces, but note it's a rental. That said anything you do should be "by the book" so you don't get into a problem with the owner. With a cellar that's available for routing anything new to where ever your going/contemplating a grow. Can you grow there (cellar)?

dan1989

dan1989

Hey guys I will be running a 600w hps on 240v. Do I need a contactor relay before plugging into my timer or will it be ok. FYI its a lumii heavy duty hydro timer. Already had an answer from a guy I trust but as always I like to cross reference my info, especially when it comes to electrical safety. Any advice appreciated. I'm not trying to cheap out by the way lol

T

terrapin11

From the looks of the panel you've got plenty of spaces, but note it's a rental. That said anything you do should be "by the book" so you don't get into a problem with the owner. With a cellar that's available for routing anything new to where ever your going/contemplating a grow. Can you grow there (cellar)?
yup, growing in the basement.

sixstring

sixstring

newer ones already come with that wiring.and 1000w pulls 11amps 4sure(no offense i hav 8 of them)but im talking bout a seperate hub,transformer basicaly..literaly breaks 1 240v circuit into 4 outlets.i use them cause my pumps r 8amps each,so instead of running 30amp 10/2 circuit for each light/pump(which wud pull 19amps with 1 light,1pump i do the hubs and i can plug 2 fans in after i plug 1 light,1pump
that has got to be the least efficient 1000w ballast ever,you are wasting energy with that boat anchor lol.1000w div by 240v is pretty basic stuff here.1000w / 240v =4.1 amp so if you have a decent digital ballast @ 94 -95% power factor you are still around 5 amps maybe and 10 @ 120v,but like i said most growers use 240v for a 1000w ballast. even at 120v you should be around 8.3 to 9 amps not 11.i would chuck that thing and grab something from this decade :facepalm: i run 6 x 600w ballasts on one 20 amp breaker with room to spare and also have had no issue with 4x 1000w gavita on a 20 amp breaker although i prefer to only have 3 per 20 amp.

fatawa

fatawa

Lol.this is a brand new electronic ballast bro..best u can get right now n hid technology besides new ceremics coming out.i pay $12 for ea of my 1000w so i kno its not least effiencent....lol

fatawa

fatawa

Think yur mistaking unless u got pics showing yur ballasts pulling less.mine 1 month old

fatawa

fatawa

9×4 is 36amps bro(thats considering yur suposive 9 amps is true)..a 20amp circuit can oly max do 16amp..im an electrical engineer..do this everyday at wrk so what yur saying dnt add up

Top Bottom