Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natural

Natural

@Natural @hiboy
Think I figured it out. View attachment 578450
That's the breaker that feeds the subpanel. I can't find a 100amp breaker anywhere on the main panel. So a 50 amp breaker was feeding the 100 amp breaker panel. That's some scary shit right? The wire also looks like 50 amp and not 100amp:opps:
damn dude..looks like you coulda had a fire. shit like this is exactly why I love to do my own work. pays to be diligent. glad you're on it bro :)
Long length wire size 400

hiboy

hiboy

Hiboy,How important is balancing a sub panel?I have a 30A 240 for lights,is it okay to have the 20A 240 for A/C on the same side or is there a reason to put it on the other side opposite?125A sub,Im not using the room and ac on the other side of the panel right now so the draws all from 1 side for the most part,easy switch if i have to,thanks.
Very important to balance the loads. Doesn't matter if the breakers are on the left or right since every other breaker is the opposite phase
Hb

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Thank you hiboy,It was balanced until i took one room offline ill change it tomorrow!

hiboy

hiboy

So I hope I'm not repeating this question but I couldn't find anything on this ginormous 43 page thread or ,anywhere else for that matter, on these 240v duplex receptacles. When wiring them do they have one hot to the top receptacle and one to the bottom; or both hots going to the top(or bottom) receptacle screws? They're aren't any other loads before or after this single duplex receptacle.
Thanks in advance, and for all the good info thus far hiboy and friends.
240v outlet. Gold screws on each side takes 1. 120v wire opposite phase to get it 240v.
Green screw ground of course
Hb

hiboy

hiboy

@Natural @hiboy
Think I figured it out. View attachment 578450
That's the breaker that feeds the subpanel. I can't find a 100amp breaker anywhere on the main panel. So a 50 amp breaker was feeding the 100 amp breaker panel. That's some scary shit right? The wire also looks like 50 amp and not 100amp:opps:
Wire looks like #10 if that black and red is the one
HB

remmar08041202

remmar08041202

I have questions. I'm starting up a grow. I will be running 2 seperate 5000 w flower rooms . A veg room and a drying room. Need advice on what I would need as far as electrical supplies. The first flower room will consist of 5 wall fans, Atmosphere controller, light controller,5 1000 hps lights and ballasts 1, 24,000 btu mini split air conditioner,Humidifier and dehumidifier. The second flower room will consist of the exact same thing as listed above for room 1. The veg room will just consist of 3 t5s a couple fans and and a dehumidifier /humidifier and a small window Ac to cool. And the drying room will consist of a atmosphere controller ,fan, dehumidifier and humidifier. Also a portable air conditioner/heater. Thanks for any advice. I also plan on havin g the light controllers and ballasts mounted on the outside walls so I will need outlets on the outside of the 2 flower rooms. And I already have power ran out to my barn. Wires are just dead and need to be hooked up to a panel

Last edited:
Raj Jah

Raj Jah

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to install a 20A outlet using the hot/neutral wiring already in place at/in a light fixture? The fixture is connected to a light switch.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Hey @hiboy

So I got a new Eaton 125amp sub-panel I am installing. I am only going to have it powered by a 50amp breaker in my main so I guess its a 50amp sub-panel...lol....Anyway before mounting it on the wall I am trying to figure out which "pre marked" holes to punch out on the sub-panel for the wires. I know that I am punching 1 hole on the top of the box so I can feed my 6/3 wire into it and know to punch out the 3/4in hole. Where I get confused is how many and which other holes to punch out. Part of me wants to punch them all out just so I have all the options but something tells me I shouldn't have open/punched holes unless they are going to be used, am I right? So from the sub-panel I am going to have a total of 3 but maybe 4 double gang boxes/outlets and one of those, the 240 double gang is going to be connected to a wired in digital timer box. Does each gang box need its own hole in the sub-panel for wire to feed in/out? What about the timer box? Is that another hole or is the wire going to go from the sub-panel to the timer box to the double gang box?? Sorry if I am being confusing but I'm still learning and trying to read as many articles and watch as many vids as I can....Also in case your wondering I am going to do all the work and wiring I can BUT when it comes time to deal with "live" electricity and connect the 6/3 to the main I will have an electrician come over, so don't worry, I won't be frying myself...this time....lol....If you could answer any of these q's and or have any other info/advice I would really appreciate it!! Please and thank you!!

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Hey also I have 3/4in collar/clamps for the 6/3 wire being fed into the sub-panel...what size collar/clamp do I use for 10/3 and 12/3 wire? Please and thank you...

Mr.Xagain

Mr.Xagain

will a digi ballast that has been on 120 for 6 months, then put on 240. fry in one night?
Nah, bro theres a chip that flips the voltage. Usually when that happens it's because theyve just been in the room at high temps for a while in one position and the wires get brittle when their position is changed the wires crumble. But 6 months, you should be good.

hiboy

hiboy

Hey @hiboy

So I got a new Eaton 125amp sub-panel I am installing. I am only going to have it powered by a 50amp breaker in my main so I guess its a 50amp sub-panel...lol....Anyway before mounting it on the wall I am trying to figure out which "pre marked" holes to punch out on the sub-panel for the wires. I know that I am punching 1 hole on the top of the box so I can feed my 6/3 wire into it and know to punch out the 3/4in hole. Where I get confused is how many and which other holes to punch out. Part of me wants to punch them all out just so I have all the options but something tells me I shouldn't have open/punched holes unless they are going to be used, am I right? So from the sub-panel I am going to have a total of 3 but maybe 4 double gang boxes/outlets and one of those, the 240 double gang is going to be connected to a wired in digital timer box. Does each gang box need its own hole in the sub-panel for wire to feed in/out? What about the timer box? Is that another hole or is the wire going to go from the sub-panel to the timer box to the double gang box?? Sorry if I am being confusing but I'm still learning and trying to read as many articles and watch as many vids as I can....Also in case your wondering I am going to do all the work and wiring I can BUT when it comes time to deal with "live" electricity and connect the 6/3 to the main I will have an electrician come over, so don't worry, I won't be frying myself...this time....lol....If you could answer any of these q's and or have any other info/advice I would really appreciate it!! Please and thank you!!
You'll need a connector for the wire they are metal or plastic where it clips into the panel . a 1/ 2 inch connector can fit two 12-2 Romex in it or you can get three quarter to fit more .

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

You'll need a connector for the wire they are metal or plastic where it clips into the panel . a 1/ 2 inch connector can fit two 12-2 Romex in it or you can get three quarter to fit more .
thanks, i actually figured it all out and got it done all by myself!! WOO HOO!!! One question thou when I am wiring a single 20amp 120v outlet and I am using 12/3 wire and its a single pole 20 amp breaker, what do i do with the 2nd hot wire? just not use it and either cut/tape it off??

hiboy

hiboy

thanks, i actually figured it all out and got it done all by myself!! WOO HOO!!! One question thou when I am wiring a single 20amp 120v outlet and I am using 12/3 wire and its a single pole 20 amp breaker, what do i do with the 2nd hot wire? just not use it and either cut/tape it off??
Yep

OGONLY

OGONLY

Hi Guy. Great info thanks for all you do. Electronic infotronics. :cool:

X.rm

X.rm

will a digi ballast that has been on 120 for 6 months, then put on 240. fry in one night?
Nope, a phantom 2 @ least wont. I used 4 @ 120v for exactly 6 months then upgraded and have been running them @ 220v for a year no problem. Supposedly they have a chip that recognizes the voltage and just switches automatically. PEACE.

X.rm

X.rm

still worried about plugging the other one in..lol..and there is at least 5+ degrees differnce in them.. better flow = less resistance rite bro
am learning tho
Not to mention your using up half the amperage than running @ 120v. Best of luck to you bro. Eventhough i know you dont need it. Ha,ha,ha... those that know, kno... PEACE

newbie1

newbie1

Post any questions for electrical advice here.
hb
Hi Im new to this and thinking of running 2 mars hydro 300s. Could you please advise me on the type of timer that is suitable for these units. And any other set up details I might need to know. Many thanks .

Top Bottom