Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dan789

Dan789

I'm not in competition with you here dan congratulations you must be almost 70 years old
Look how long I've been on the site and have been helping people
Feel free to help everybody out like I have for the last seven or eight years hear your knowledge is greatly appreciated
Hb
All good, no competition, just comaraderie. I'm 66 & loving life.

hiboy

hiboy

All good, no competition, just comaraderie. I'm 66 & loving life.
Yeah I'm 47 and you pretty much started your electrical career when I did
At first I started doing tile when I was 18 I'm glad I got out of that no offense any tilesetters here
Hb

Dan789

Dan789

That's got to be tough on the knees (tile setting), being an Electrician is hard enough on your body.

Cali clouds

Cali clouds

I just kind of stick to the questions and not get in the drama
I have too much drama
five-year-old twins and electrical business and a 70 light operation going on at two spots
My plate is full
Hb

You get em tiger. I thought my plate was stacked. I got 2 y/o twins, a grading company, manage 35 lights and a medium sized greenhouse. The wife says I can't start one more thing lol. Hats off to you. And yeah I have seen you answer more electrical questions then anyone else on the interweb. Thanks for making sure we don't burn down our houses, lol. I'm only 30. I can't imagine doing all this when I'm 50, you ol timers make me feel like I'm lazy. So much for the lazy pothead stereotype

O

Ownzu77

Have a power box in kitchen and grow room in bed room. Extension chords snakes through top corner of doorway, no door just the 'doorway', that separates rooms in the old Victorian.

Does this violate the extension chords through doorways and temporary wiring code? Will I be cited by an inspector if he sees this? Do the power chords themselves direct to the ballast count as extension chords? Can those pass through doorways with no doors?

I want to be able to keep my setup as is but can move the lamps into the kitchen where the 50 amp is.

Does the super thick chord from a power box count as an extension chord?

Is a doorway still a doorway without a door or hinges? Even if it's just part of old architecture used to split the rooms in an old building like in a Victorian?

Thanks for your time guys

hiboy

hiboy

Have a power box in kitchen and grow room in bed room. Extension chords snakes through top corner of doorway, no door just the 'doorway', that separates rooms in the old Victorian.

Does this violate the extension chords through doorways and temporary wiring code? Will I be cited by an inspector if he sees this? Do the power chords themselves direct to the ballast count as extension chords? Can those pass through doorways with no doors?

I want to be able to keep my setup as is but can move the lamps into the kitchen where the 50 amp is.

Is a doorway still a doorway without a door or hinges? Even if it's just part of old architecture used to split the rooms in an old building like in a Victorian?

Most of those things you have is in violation of the firecode I know that you're not allowed to pass cords through walls etc. in a temporary situation I believe you are allowed to but honestly it's a tripping hazard and not something that would be recommended let alone what gauge is all your extension cords and how long are they that plays a big part in all of it
Hb

O

Ownzu77

it's a rental and the landlords aren't letting me modify the electrical. They are strung up with hooks into the corners so they aren't a tripping hazard. The chords them selves are designed for grow lights. I'm having a hard time understanding what temporary means in my case. All the loads are light and all the wires are thick enough gauge. I just don't want to get some loophole style violation because the architecture has a lot of "doorways".

Thanks for the quickly reply

Dan789

Dan789

Most of what you've mentioned are contrary to any electrical codes (NEC) that I'm aware of in the US. I'm intrigued though how are you feeding a "power box" with this I'm imagining something yellow in color from a job site, which I'm guessing further your feeding from a range or dryer plug. So just to put your mind at ease any inspector would red tag the whole setup should they happen upon your electrical distribution improvisation.
Any cord utilized for powering anything is deemed temporary usage only.
And as HB mentioned the temp cord routed through the house is a big Fire Code violation and its presence is an added hinderance should anything catch fire, (which happens more than you want to believe) and you are trying to escape with yours and the lives of anyone living with you. Not the best idea or scenario. I'd suggest to scale your expected grow to something smaller, and maybe contained in one of the small growing cabinets. Expand when you can do so without subjecting others to what could turn into a very bad situation. imho. Peace

hiboy

hiboy

it's a rental and the landlords aren't letting me modify the electrical. They are strung up with hooks into the corners so they aren't a tripping hazard. The chords them selves are designed for grow lights. I'm having a hard time understanding what temporary means in my case. All the loads are light and all the wires are thick enough gauge. I just don't want to get some loophole style violation because the architecture has a lot of "doorways".

Thanks for the quickly reply
Ummm
if I was in your situation I would probably be doing the same thing well maybe not but it doesn't sound like you have much knowledge of electrical to fix it
So if you're not overloaded what is the problem here
A tripping hazard is it not only to your own personal safety but you could pull the cords and make an explosion that's burning down the house to extreme you.
Yes I've been Drinking and high and playing poker
Hb

O

Ownzu77

Most of what you've mentioned are contrary to any electrical codes (NEC) that I'm aware of in the US. I'm intrigued though how are you feeding a "power box" with this I'm imagining something yellow in color from a job site, which I'm guessing further your feeding from a range or dryer plug. So just to put your mind at ease any inspector would red tag the whole setup should they happen upon your electrical distribution improvisation.
Any cord utilized for powering anything is deemed temporary usage only.
And as HB mentioned the temp cord routed through the house is a big Fire Code violation and its presence is an added hinderance should anything catch fire, (which happens more than you want to believe) and you are trying to escape with yours and the lives of anyone living with you. Not the best idea or scenario. I'd suggest to scale your expected grow to something smaller, and maybe contained in one of the small growing cabinets. Expand when you can do so without subjecting others to what could turn into a very bad situation. imho. Peace

I had a 25 foot chord put on my powerbox, which is a brand

O

Ownzu77

Ummm
if I was in your situation I would probably be doing the same thing well maybe not but it doesn't sound like you have much knowledge of electrical to fix it
So if you're not overloaded what is the problem here
A tripping hazard is it not only to your own personal safety but you could pull the cords and make an explosion that's burning down the house to extreme you.
Yes I've been Drinking and high and playing poker
Hb

Yeah exactly, my landlords are jackbooted nazis, trying to loophole me into moving out. I'm not that type of dude, I'm a medical marijuana patient and I don't intend to be bullied by my landlords. Worst comes to worst ill move the setup to where the drier and stove outlets are in the kitchen, so chords arent necessary. Setup the fridge in the living room

Dan789

Dan789

Yeah exactly, my landlords are jackbooted nazis, trying to loophole me into moving out. I'm not that type of dude, I'm a medical marijuana patient and I don't intend to be bullied by my landlords. Worst comes to worst ill move the setup to where the drier and stove outlets are in the kitchen, so chords arent necessary. Setup the fridge in the living room
Another PS. as I was thinking about this the power cords that typically are used to feed these power boxes get damaged on these same jobsites. The conductors break internally as it's stranded wire. One I was troubleshooting ended up not providing the full 240 volts across the connection at said power box. That lost voltage and current is building up heat and that isn't good. Use with extreme caution in any location. It would make me look to some other solution.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

hell thought id ask is it ok to put a exfan/inline in to a power strip I paid good money for it does 3000 jul before over loading

Dan789

Dan789

hell thought id ask is it ok to put a exfan/inline in to a power strip I paid good money for it does 3000 jul before over loading
So your asking is it ok using a power strip to supply a exhaust fan, that trips said protection device? No. find the problem, check for a wiring fault, most likely check everything you've done.
The power box above is an construction site distribution system, not associated with power strips.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

So your asking is it ok using a power strip to supply a exhaust fan, that trips said protection device? No. find the problem, check for a wiring fault, most likely check everything you've done.
The power box above is an construction site distribution system, not associated with power strips.

no not what im saying I was just telling u the power of the strip before it fails

Dan789

Dan789

no not what im saying I was just telling u the power of the strip before it fails
So that protection is for electrical surge as in if your home was struck by lightning. Most have some type thermal trip integrated, but not all. Otherwise lots of people use them, I've got several under my desk with a plethora of cords for my computer and ancillary crap. For our growing endeavors where we may not be watching 24/7 or even in the same room is my only concern with untended electrical apparatus. Lights, fans, tubes that can explode, ballasts that can do the same rupturing their insulation and innards all over. I've seen some controllers that have heat or smoke inputs that will shutdown all the power when/if something like a high heat or smoke situation arises. That would be ideal from an electrical safety outlook. Peace.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

ill re ask the ? I had

so I have a 100wat inline fan plugged in to a power bar with a surg protection rated to hold up to 3000 jul of power

with it be ok

Top Bottom