Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yea bloke every point has 3 wires connected iv had a few apart before. I have basic knowlege of wiring just not to experienced with the main an power panel an so on.. An its not something i wanna play around with myself..
There is 3 wires still connected to the ground bar? It looks like there cut off but they go threw a hole drilled out in the board. Will look around for a ground pole outside is there a chanve that the ground wire is eatherd under the house or somewhere like that if i cant find the rod outside.. Dmt exactly need 2 600w lights but i wanted to make the most outta the area i have sorta thing..
Heres a close up of the 3 wires connected to the ground bar. I would thought every circuit would have a ground wire leadin back to this ground bar though?
View attachment 943477
Looks like more than 1 ground wire in each of those 3 groups. Those ground wires don't have to be in their own post. So, with what I am seeing in your picture, it looks like your system is grounded.

GrowinDownUnda

GrowinDownUnda

The equipment would have taken that into consideration and marked as such on the labels 600 watts on a 240 v supply is only 2.5 amps
13amps was a rough estimate on everythin on that circuit not includin a water pmp an air pmp if i wanted to go down the rdwc route.. Not 100% on the fridge usuage i evn contacted lg an they cldn tell me the usless fools so i pland that it roughly should draw 4.2amps wen motor kicks in i could be miles off on that one though..
Here is a site you can use. you just need 2 of the numbers to calculate your load in numbers that will make sense to you.
[URL
Looks like more than 1 ground wire in each of those 3 groups. Those ground wires don't have to be in their own post. So, with what I am seeing in your picture, it looks like your system is grounded.
Awesome bit safer then wat another bloke was tryna tell me.. I want a grw setup of some sort but before that i wanna know if me family are safe in the first place lol.. How do i tell wat guage wire they have used wen running the circuits

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

13amps was a rough estimate on everythin on that circuit not includin a water pmp an air pmp if i wanted to go down the rdwc route.. Not 100% on the fridge usuage i evn contacted lg an they cldn tell me the usless fools so i pland that it roughly should draw 4.2amps wen motor kicks in i could be miles off on that one though..

Awesome bit safer then wat another bloke was tryna tell me.. I want a grw setup of some sort but before that i wanna know if me family are safe in the first place lol.. How do i tell wat guage wire they have used wen running the circuits
I can only give you a general answer on that because I have no idea what type of wire is in each of those circuits. If it's modern wire like romex it will be printed on the sheathing. However from the pictures I have seen and the age of the original wiring, I doubt that applies. I dug this up on the internet though:

"For nonferrous wires (like copper electrical wire) in the United States, 12 and 14 gauge are sizes in the American wire gauge system. The diameter of solid 12 AWG wire is approximately 0.0808 inches (2.053 mm), and 14 AWG is 0.0641 inches (1.628 mm)."

That can give you a reference on wire size based on the American Wire Gauge system. I would assume that Australia has a system that is similar. Just turn the power off at the panel before measuring wire thickness.

GrowinDownUnda

GrowinDownUnda

I can only give you a general answer on that because I have no idea what type of wire is in each of those circuits. If it's modern wire like romex it will be printed on the sheathing. However from the pictures I have seen and the age of the original wiring, I doubt that applies. I dug this up on the internet though:

"For nonferrous wires (like copper electrical wire) in the United States, 12 and 14 gauge are sizes in the American wire gauge system. The diameter of solid 12 AWG wire is approximately 0.0808 inches (2.053 mm), and 14 AWG is 0.0641 inches (1.628 mm)."

That can give you a reference on wire size based on the American Wire Gauge system. I would assume that Australia has a system that is similar. Just turn the power off at the panel before measuring wire thickness.
Yea no doubt it wouldn be to much of a difference from american standards..
Nice find on the measurements to work out guage. Cbf shuttin down power to measure wire thicknes atm, its nice an chill with me ac runnin was in the roof for 5 minutes sweatin like a pig..
Must be an older wire as i cldn find any writing on it heres a pic if it helps.
20200222 134940

Dan789

Dan789

Gday. Quick rundown im thinkin bout settin meself up a grow tent running cpl 600w mh/hps cpl inline fans an water chiller an cpl other bits an pcs. Heres me problem im in an older house so dunno if the wiring and pwr board/sub panel will be able to handle the load of it all. The circuit thats available in the area is a 15amp and has a 700L fridge on the same circuit Im from aus if that makes any differenc heres a cpl pics..
Had someone tell me i shld never set up a grw room as me wiring is to old View attachment 943039View attachment 943038View attachment 943040
Never seen such a panel layout, but I’ve only been in the industry since 1970, and never in Australia. That said, theres got to be someone you can talk to closer to home that actually is familiar with the electrical distribution system there. Only when you or your local expert knows, (not guesses) what’s going on should you fuck around and possibly get hurt or burn your place down in the endeavor...imho, retired Electrical contractor IBEW/NECA member.

GrowinDownUnda

GrowinDownUnda

Never seen such a panel layout, but I’ve only been in the industry since 1970, and never in Australia. That said, theres got to be someone you can talk to closer to home that actually is familiar with the electrical distribution system there. Only when you or your local expert knows, (not guesses) what’s going on should you fuck around and possibly get hurt or burn your place down in the endeavor...imho, retired Electrical contractor IBEW/NECA member.
Believe it or not i have seen allot worse espeacially on older homes an mine looks allot better an organised if that makes sense. But yea im no sparky so im not about to go messin around with anything my self. An ur not allowed to go messing around with wiring your self if ya want anything added or replace techically you must have a certified electrician to do the work for you.. With sayin that i was only on here to get second opinion an a better understandin on it all. If i do get around to havin a grow room of any sort ill be gettin a sparky round to have a good talk to about current system an make sure its safe. From my understandin everything seems ok apart from the out dated panel?

Dan789

Dan789

Believe it or not i have seen allot worse espeacially on older homes an mine looks allot better an organised if that makes sense. But yea im no sparky so im not about to go messin around with anything my self. An ur not allowed to go messing around with wiring your self if ya want anything added or replace techically you must have a certified electrician to do the work for you.. With sayin that i was only on here to get second opinion an a better understandin on it all. If i do get around to havin a grow room of any sort ill be gettin a sparky round to have a good talk to about current system an make sure its safe. From my understandin everything seems ok apart from the out dated panel?
I’d be the first to state my ignorance of your set up, you’re on the right track getting someone versed in the rules and methods...over here it’s a much different set up, three wire, 240/120 volt system, your meter said something about two wire 240 system...but that’s just what i read... good growing down-under.😎

GrowinDownUnda

GrowinDownUnda

I’d be the first to state my ignorance of your set up, you’re on the right track getting someone versed in the rules and methods...over here it’s a much different set up, three wire, 240/120 volt system, your meter said something about two wire 240 system...but that’s just what i read... good growing down-under.😎
Yea the standard today is 3 wire aswell im just in a older house. Currently growing outdoors but would like to get something going indoors over the cooler months..

Screenshot 20200222 175719 Samsung Internet

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
I just bought a Hyperion 2 controller for my new room.
My box is a 200 amp box from mid 90s. It has empty spots but if you add all the breakers installed there are already 200 amps of them. Except the big ones they are all 10 amp circuits. Some are really hardly used. Like I've got curcuits that are nothing but a couple ceiling lights.
Can I still add my 220 curcuit without removing something else?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
My box is a 200 amp box from mid 90s. It has empty spots but if you add all the breakers installed there are already 200 amps of them. Except the big ones they are all 10 amp circuits. Some are really hardly used. Like I've got curcuits that are nothing but a couple ceiling lights.
Yes, it is expected that all circuits won't be used and fully loaded at any one time. You can even add another 60 amp panel off the side maybe even a 100amp. I can't remember but you can certainly add another circuit or 2 without overloading your system. Just wire the new stuff right.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Post any questions for electrical advice here.
hb
Im new to indoor growing. Also my electrical is pretty old. Am I ok running a 250 watt hps.on a 20 amp fuse? This isnt taking into account fans yet. But im doing im a basic soil grow.

Dan789

Dan789

Reason for the 200 amp service and if c/b's add up to more than 200 amps is that everything isn't on at once. That's called diversity... meaning you can have way more than 200 amps of connected load, as long as it's all not on at once, if that happens, that's what the "mains" are for. Also, it's 200 amps per phase conductor, (red or black wire, in the US.). Each individual c/b no mater what it's designation or trip rating won't ever have that much current going through it, it's just where it will trip our for a short circuit.
Your drop coming in off the pole will be smaller than a similarly sized conductor coming in through a conduit as air aids in the cooling of those feeder conductors. fyi.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Im new to indoor growing. Also my electrical is pretty old. Am I ok running a 250 watt hps.on a 20 amp fuse? This isnt taking into account fans yet. But im doing im a basic soil grow.
a 20 amp circuit is good for around 2000 Watts ( ball park) don't go over it. fans can draw around 50 watts ( depending on size ) so on your 20 amp circuit you could have 6 - 250 w hps plus a whole bunch of fans so you're good to go.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
a 20 amp circuit is good for around 2000 Watts ( ball park) don't go over it. fans can draw around 50 watts ( depending on size ) so on your 20 amp circuit you could have 6 - 250 w hps plus a whole bunch of fans so you're good to go.
That’s assuming nothing else is plugged into that circuit other than those lights and fans. Usually 1800watts is max. Never really wanna max out the circuit. I’m looking to run a separate circuit to my garage as I’m looking to run more wattage in the light category. Should be fun.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

K,thx. I've traced all the outlets to the box. The only thing plugged into it are 3 fluorescent lights but I can go down to one & from what your telling me if I can have 6-250 w hps & I only have one I figure I'm fine,lol. I don't know if this makes a difference or not but my electric is the 60s era bussman screw in fuses so that's what's got me so worried. Info is much appreciated tho!

Dan789

Dan789

Just make sure that your new installations are up to snuff, so that they last as long as your initial wiring...nothing wrong with old methods/materials, unless it’s “knob and tube wiring” and only then because it’s more difficult to add into.

cruzin

cruzin

I was told you can run 14 100 watt light bulbs of a 15 amp circuit. What wire is used for the outlet? is the wire white or yellow, white wire is for 15amp outlets and yellow wire is for 20 amp outlets. What plug is the timer plugged into is it a 15 or 20 amp outlet. If you know you have a 20 amp plug and yellow wire from the outlet to the breaker panel you probably would be safe but if its a 15amp circuit with 15amp outlet and white wire I would be scared of starting a fire. But like the other person said you will probably trip the breaker if its a 15 amp circuit.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

That’s assuming nothing else is plugged into that circuit other than those lights and fans. Usually 1800watts is max. Never really wanna max out the circuit. I’m looking to run a separate circuit to my garage as I’m looking to run more wattage in the light category. Should be fun
I was told you can run 14 100 watt light bulbs of a 15 amp circuit. What wire is used for the outlet? is the wire white or yellow, white wire is for 15amp outlets and yellow wire is for 20 amp outlets. What plug is the timer plugged into is it a 15 or 20 amp outlet. If you know you have a 20 amp plug and yellow wire from the outlet to the breaker panel you probably would be safe but if its a 15amp circuit with 15amp outlet and white wire I would be scared of starting a fire. But like the other person said you will probably trip the breaker if its a 15 amp circuit.
Ok im not to sure if im right here cuz im not great with electrical but from what i can see its a box with two 20 amp buss sl fuse. They have two white wires ran each of them & two green wires ran to them. As i said before i traced the outlets and the the one 20 amp has 3 fluorescent fixtures ran to it. The other has a stereo & a couple patio lamps.

Top Bottom