Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Yo, bro. Got outside building with 60 amp line from house. Want to run 3k with 3 ton unit. How many amps do I need? Think I can spare 20 more from house. Any more I have to up amps to house or install meter on out building and hire licensed electrician with permit and inspectors. Peace.

hiboy

hiboy

Yo, bro. Got outside building with 60 amp line from house. Want to run 3k with 3 ton unit. How many amps do I need? Think I can spare 20 more from house. Any more I have to up amps to house or install meter on out building and hire licensed electrician with permit and inspectors. Peace.

your lights and ballasts draw under 15 amps, so if your air cond. is 3o amp 240v u will still have some juice left over for fans, pumps. etc.
hb

hiboy

hiboy

im in a three level triplex. i live on the main floor, my homies rent the top floor and the landlords old ass brother(hes an opera star, keeps me up late at night belting horrible ballads) lives in the basement. in my kitchen the range is plugged into a 30 amp dryer plug, but the problem is i cant have a big subpanel right above my stove. looks kinda funny ya know? everything that need to be plugged into it is fifteen feet away in the growroom. im thinking of just saying fuck my stove. unplug that shit, and run a 30 amp extension cord to the 7200w light controller in the grow room? is that safe/whats the safest way to do that? and just to check, this deluxe 7200w light controller
is better than this :
and if im going to grab the one from dx hydro, what extra options do you think would be a good idea?
whats on the other side of the stove, meaning the room behind it. or is it an exterior wall cause thats an option of mounting a sub panel.
if u do the cord use # 10 S . O . cord, its has a black covering like an ext. cord and its really heavy dut. figure 2.50 to 3 a foot
hb

B

brandylorton

I also have a small setup of tomato in my own house's basement. There is no scope of sunlight want to know which grow light will be perfect one.

hiboy

hiboy

I also have a small setup of tomato in my own house's basement. There is no scope of sunlight want to know which grow light will be perfect one.
perfect grow light veg is MH
perfect grow light bloom is hps
hb

ttystikk

ttystikk

...and the perfect light for both is HPS with plasma. But that's a bit spendy for tomatoes.

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

Hey Hiboy! Just wanted to say I really dig your non-egocentric approach towards replying to your fellow farmers questions here on your thread and actually having a well thought out/intelligent response! I guess that's what separates you from the rest and why the farmers here come to you as the "local Electrician"! You know your shit (as I'm sure many others do as well) and you've proven it time and time again...your mellow attitude and genuine desire to help is what gives this thread that extra "spark"!
Yes I did just say spark! lol!

Ok...now for my questions. I want to make sure I complete this upgrade properly and safely so I am starting with the basics. I apologize for the very rudimentary level questions brahduh, I just really want to learn how my electrical system works from the ground up so I can make wise/educated decisions! Even if I feel I may know a thing or two, still want to hear it from a pro!

I need help with establishing what it is I have exactly as far as power is concerned. So I have attached a few pictures to assist with this part of my electrical upgrade endeavor.

*********************************************************************************************
So here we have your basic electrical panel...what exactly is that circle thingy to the left (old electrical unit perhaps?)?

2012 05 29 181432

Here we have a close up of the meter itself...what does the number underneath the word "type" necessarily mean? Does the 240v mean all my breakers are at 240v and not 120v? This leads me to my next questions/photo...

2012 05 29 190100

Here we have the panel/breakers themselves...
-What kind of power am I working with?
-Does this photo say I am only using 70 amps out of 100 amps available?
-Does the double pole 100amp breaker mean just that, 100amps nothing more nothing less?
-Are the 30, 20, 20 amp breakers at 120v?
- Or 240v based off what the "type" says in above picture? Therefore my 30,20,20 amp breakers are actuallly "60,40,40" in theory?

***********************************************************************************
Breaker-1 is for the house
Breaker-2 is for the garage
Breaker-3 is for the studio behind garage (where I intend for my room to flourish with upto 6k in flower and 1-1.5k in veg/mom/clones*plus all the extra added electrical consuming devices)

2012 05 29 181223

Thank you so much for any and all knowledge you provide brahduh...it is all very much appreciated!

If anyone else can take my questions on as well, feel free...and much love for your replies!

Bless up...Sol

sox

sox

Since im runnin chords all over the house can i grab two 50' 12 gauge chords and run em to my washer /dryer plug? There are extension chorda that are 240 right? Then everything will be cheaper? Do i have to get 240 chords for the ballasts too or is a 240 extension chord good?

sox

sox

Do they make 240 surge protectors/power strips? Im not sure what there called

ttystikk

ttystikk

Since im runnin chords all over the house can i grab two 50' 12 gauge chords and run em to my washer /dryer plug? There are extension chorda that are 240 right? Then everything will be cheaper? Do i have to get 240 chords for the ballasts too or is a 240 extension chord good?

12 gauge is okay if you're not running more than 15-20amps@240 through them. You might get away with 30, but I would only try that if I could put a hand on the cord and make sure it's staying cool.

Do they make 240 surge protectors/power strips? Im not sure what there called

I haven't seen them, but they must exist somewhere. On the other hand, you're not running a computer, just lights and fans. The circuit breaker inline with the circuit should suffice. Be sure it's rated properly.

hiboy

hiboy

Hey Hiboy! Just wanted to say I really dig your non-egocentric approach towards replying to your fellow farmers questions here on your thread and actually having a well thought out/intelligent response! I guess that's what separates you from the rest and why the farmers here come to you as the "local Electrician"! You know your shit (as I'm sure many others do as well) and you've proven it time and time again...your mellow attitude and genuine desire to help is what gives this thread that extra "spark"!
Yes I did just say spark! lol!

Ok...now for my questions. I want to make sure I complete this upgrade properly and safely so I am starting with the basics. I apologize for the very rudimentary level questions brahduh, I just really want to learn how my electrical system works from the ground up so I can make wise/educated decisions! Even if I feel I may know a thing or two, still want to hear it from a pro!

I need help with establishing what it is I have exactly as far as power is concerned. So I have attached a few pictures to assist with this part of my electrical upgrade endeavor.

*********************************************************************************************
So here we have your basic electrical panel...what exactly is that circle thingy to the left (old electrical unit perhaps?)?

View attachment 221504

Here we have a close up of the meter itself...what does the number underneath the word "type" necessarily mean? Does the 240v mean all my breakers are at 240v and not 120v? This leads me to my next questions/photo...

View attachment 221507

Here we have the panel/breakers themselves...
-What kind of power am I working with?
-Does this photo say I am only using 70 amps out of 100 amps available?
-Does the double pole 100amp breaker mean just that, 100amps nothing more nothing less?
-Are the 30, 20, 20 amp breakers at 120v?
- Or 240v based off what the "type" says in above picture? Therefore my 30,20,20 amp breakers are actuallly "60,40,40" in theory?

***********************************************************************************
Breaker-1 is for the house
Breaker-2 is for the garage
Breaker-3 is for the studio behind garage (where I intend for my room to flourish with upto 6k in flower and 1-1.5k in veg/mom/clones*plus all the extra added electrical consuming devices)

View attachment 221508

Thank you so much for any and all knowledge you provide brahduh...it is all very much appreciated!

If anyone else can take my questions on as well, feel free...and much love for your replies!

Bless up...Sol
thanks for the kind words, just got home from vegas so im back to the jungle.
that old round circle on the left of the metered panel is an old panel, the one on the right is the upgrade. and the flexible conduit that connects the two probably powers what was in the old panel. sometimes its easier to leave the old panel and just make it into a large j box.
to your questions... the single breakers on the left are 120v, and the one 100 on the right is a 240v 2 pole its called. dont worry about the writings on the meter, you have a typical installation and it should work well for you
the 100 amp means that you can run up to 100 amps, but should only be drawing 80 amps for safety
\hb

hiboy

hiboy

you should use 30 amp cords if your running it from your dryer plug. most likely its on a 30 amp double breaker, and the 12 guage is rated for 20 amps only
you will need the correct ends on the cords for your 240v outlet, the stab ins are shaped differently
hb

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

thanks for the kind words, just got home from vegas so im back to the jungle.
that old round circle on the left of the metered panel is an old panel, the one on the right is the upgrade. and the flexible conduit that connects the two probably powers what was in the old panel. sometimes its easier to leave the old panel and just make it into a large j box.
to your questions... the single breakers on the left are 120v, and the one 100 on the right is a 240v 2 pole its called. dont worry about the writings on the meter, you have a typical installation and it should work well for you
the 100 amp means that you can run up to 100 amps, but should only be drawing 80 amps for safety
\hb

Welcome Home HB! Glad you made it back safe and sound!

Thanks for answering my questions brahduh!

So I have 100 amps:
30 amps for my house
20 amps for detached garage
20 amps for "hobby" room attached to garage

for a total of 70 amps drawn which puts me under that 80% range that you speak of.

My problem lies with the "hobby" room, I only have 20 amps available but need enough amperage to handle up to 10k worth of energy consumption. If I am not mistaken, I need at least 1 amp per 100 watts or 10 amps per 1000 watts. So that being said, I would need at least an EXTRA 100 amps for the "hobby" room:eek:! Am I incorrect with that assumption? Which would put me wayyyyyyyy over the allotted 100 amps already on my panel! What if I were to add a 240v/50 amp breaker? That would still put me over my 100 amps available! I just don't get it braduh...I really don't but I realllly really want to though!

What in Jah's good name do I frickin need to do on my panel in order to have 10k worth of energy draw in my "hobby" room?!?!?!?!

I hope I made enough sense to convey the conundrum I am being faced with?!?! If not just let me know if there is any piece of info you may need and Id be happy to provide!

Much love for the assistance HB!

Blessings...Sol

Hilltopfarms

Hilltopfarms

So I have 100 amps:
30 amps for my house

for a total of 70 amps drawn which puts me under that 80% range that you speak of.

My problem lies with the "hobby" room, I only have 20 amps available but need enough amperage to handle up to 10k worth of energy consumption. If I am not mistaken, I need at least 1 amp per 100 watts or 10 amps per 1000 watts. So that being said, I would need at least an EXTRA 100 amps for the "hobby" room:eek:! Am I incorrect with that assumption? Which would put me wayyyyyyyy over the allotted 100 amps already on my panel! What if I were to add a 240v/50 amp breaker? That would still put me over my 100 amps available! I just don't get it braduh...I really don't but I realllly really want to though!

What in Jah's good name do I frickin need to do on my panel in order to have 10k worth of energy draw in my "hobby" room?!?!?!?!

I hope I made enough sense to convey the conundrum I am being faced with?!?! If not just let me know if there is any piece of info you may need and Id be happy to provide!

Blessings...Sol

even though your breakers' total amperage add up to 70 amps, you've got to remember you aren't using 70 amps all the time (probably never). With that said, the 20 amp circuit you have already in your hobby room
should be sufficient for your 120V needs (fans, pumps, etc). So if you need 10kw @ 240V, thats about 45 amps being used. I would add a 60amp double pole breaker and on that circuit you can use a safe 48 amps with the proper gauge wire. That leaves plenty of current (about 30 amps) for you to use in your house, minus what you use on the hobby room 20 amp circuit. Just try not to use your house a/c, electric washer or dryer, large things like that while your lights are running (a good reason to flower at night time)

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

even though your breakers' total amperage add up to 70 amps, you've got to remember you aren't using 70 amps all the time (probably never). With that said, the 20 amp circuit you have already in your hobby room
should be sufficient for your 120V needs (fans, pumps, etc). So if you need 10kw @ 240V, thats about 45 amps being used. I would add a 60amp double pole breaker and on that circuit you can use a safe 48 amps with the proper gauge wire. That leaves plenty of current (about 30 amps) for you to use in your house, minus what you use on the hobby room 20 amp circuit. Just try not to use your house a/c, electric washer or dryer, large things like that while your lights are running (a good reason to flower at night time)

Hey Hilltop! Thanks for the reply braduh! A light bulb literally went off after reading your post...things became much more clear thereafter!

What is it that differentiates 120v from 240v? Is it the fact they are Double Poles? Or a specific type/size wire? Would I not be able to run a window AC unit on that same 60 amp double pole breaker? Because what I am gathering is that the two can not and will not coincide with one another...correct?

Bless up...Sol

Hilltopfarms

Hilltopfarms

Hey Hilltop! Thanks for the reply braduh! A light bulb literally went off after reading your post...things became much more clear thereafter!

What is it that differentiates 120v from 240v? Is it the fact they are Double Poles? Or a specific type/size wire? Would I not be able to run a window AC unit on that same 60 amp double pole breaker? Because what I am gathering is that the two can not and will not coincide with one another...correct?

Bless up...Sol

Think of 'double pole' as two 120v poles put together to make 240 volt, there is no one wire that carries 240 volts, but theres two wires carrying 120 volts each.... the window unit depends on what voltage it runs on and the amperage it uses, that will be yourdeciding factor

sox

sox

you should use 30 amp cords if your running it from your dryer plug. most likely its on a 30 amp double breaker, and the 12 guage is rated for 20 amps only
you will need the correct ends on the cords for your 240v outlet, the stab ins are shaped differently
hb

Thanks Again Brother!

hiboy

hiboy

So I have 100 amps:
30 amps for my house

Blessings...Sol
Sox hit it right on with the info, glad to have him on thc to help yall out.
You could runb #6 wire two hots and one #10 ground to your garage for all your 240v lighting.
That wire would be installed in a conduit such as flex or pvc if your garage is detached.
or you could run romex 6/2 and your ok there. BUT that wont do your air conditioner so either you run another wire (depends on your air cond) to keep ur room kewl.
hb

Top Bottom