Growing in 3rd World Conditions (Cuba) att #2

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zerberus

Zerberus

Hi everyone, this will be second attempt to growing in Cuba, last time one of my dogs ate the plant at around 45 days old 😂, but this time I have a little ghetto setup. I'm going to be growing inside one of the sections of the closet in my room, it's a 30" x 30" and it's about 6 feet in height. I put in a Vipar Spectra V1000 (2023) with the new diodes, I will wrap it later down the road with panda film, and I'll put in all the bells in whistles little by little. This is the "grow room" for now...
Growing in 3rd world conditions cuba att 2

I germinatd 2 Black Domina they are feminized photoperiods. They both sprouted from the soil today, the soil I'm using has been flushed for the last two months with rain water only and LAB.

The soil is just natural soil found around wooded green areas here in the island, it has about a 30% mix of rice hulls, and 10% mix of broken down styrofoam bits with some small bits of wood chips.

These are both the plants now....

DAY #1

Growing in 3rd world conditions cuba att 2 2
Growing in 3rd world conditions cuba att 2 3

I'm super excited to see this grow progress... Some details about the lighting setup. It's currently at 75%, 26 inches up, it's whats recommended by the manufacturer for the seedling stage.

I went directly and planted into bigger containers this time, I don't want to have to transplant until it's well into the vegetative stage and the roots have fully developed because the soil is not perfect and it's still clunky, so I want it to grow without interrupting it or stressing it out.

For nutes I will be using the General Hydroponic Flora Series 3 bottle kits sold on Amazon, I'll be using my own home made CalMag, I'll also be using Hydrolyzed Fish food for the plants.

Hope everything goes well this time, I will be keeping the door locked so that my dogs don't eat it this time 😂 wish me luck and all advise and productive criticism is welcome. I'm here to learn, better myself and my grow skills along the way and with a lot of luck get really high in the end 🤞🏻

Zerberus

Zerberus

How do you make your homemade calmag?
I'm treating the next soil the plant will be transplanted into with very small quantity of MG citrate (obtained from tablets), and for Calcium I'm using grounded up eggshells. I'm only going to feed the soil twice (before the plants are in it), and I'm only using rain water also to keep it moist. Im just trying to feed the soil as much as possible without forcing a Nute lockout, since the soil here isn't great.

I will not feel the plants calcium or MG citrate if there's no symptoms, I will also only place one plant into the treated soil and the other will go into a regular soil that has been maintained with rain water only.

I just want to see how the plant reacts, if it makes a difference to feed the soil before transplanting. That's why I germinated two of the same strain, I want to test some different ways of growing with the things I have at hand.

cobblestoner

cobblestoner

I'm treating the next soil the plant will be transplanted into with very small quantity of MG citrate (obtained from tablets), and for Calcium I'm using grounded up eggshells. I'm only going to feed the soil twice (before the plants are in it), and I'm only using rain water also to keep it moist. Im just trying to feed the soil as much as possible without forcing a Nute lockout, since the soil here isn't great.

I will not feel the plants calcium or MG citrate if there's no symptoms, I will also only place one plant into the treated soil and the other will go into a regular soil that has been maintained with rain water only.

I just want to see how the plant reacts, if it makes a difference to feed the soil before transplanting. That's why I germinated two of the same strain, I want to test some different ways of growing with the things I have at hand.
Whenever I plant my veggies it usually helps to establish a transplant pot or plot and water it like the others for about a week. Especially if the soil hasn't been.

ScareCrowe420

ScareCrowe420

I'm planning on running some Black Domina on my next round, plus I was following your last attempt as well. Not sure why just something I find interesting about seeing how you have to adjust without having all the ready made options we tend to have here in the states. I'm in 🍿

Zerberus

Zerberus

Whenever I plant my veggies it usually helps to establish a transplant pot or plot and water it like the others for about a week. Especially if the soil hasn't been.
I would think that is done to prevent stress and have the plant easily accept the transplant process right?
I'm planning on running some Black Domina on my next round, plus I was following your last attempt as well. Not sure why just something I find interesting about seeing how you have to adjust without having all the ready made options we tend to have here in the states. I'm in 🍿

Awesome man, if you ever see anything I can improve on or change please let me know.

And yea it's a challenge growing in Cuba where nothing is accessible, something as small as nutrients that's cost 40$ on Amazon costs me a small fortune and a headache to have a mule bring it to the country on a plane because of the economic embargo. So I have to get very creative when it comes to growing here.

cobblestoner

cobblestoner

I would think that is done to prevent stress and have the plant easily accept the transplant process right?

Awesome man, if you ever see anything I can improve on or change please let me know.

And yea it's a challenge growing in Cuba where nothing is accessible, something as small as nutrients that's cost 40$ on Amazon costs me a small fortune and a headache to have a mule bring it to the country on a plane because of the economic embargo. So I have to get very creative when it comes to growing here.
Yes, just for the soil to be better for the plant to move into.

B

BillyBanchan

Hi everyone, this will be second attempt to growing in Cuba, last time one of my dogs ate the plant at around 45 days old 😂, but this time I have a little ghetto setup. I'm going to be growing inside one of the sections of the closet in my room, it's a 30" x 30" and it's about 6 feet in height. I put in a Vipar Spectra V1000 (2023) with the new diodes, I will wrap it later down the road with panda film, and I'll put in all the bells in whistles little by little. This is the "grow room" for now...View attachment 2003718

I germinatd 2 Black Domina they are feminized photoperiods. They both sprouted from the soil today, the soil I'm using has been flushed for the last two months with rain water only and LAB.

The soil is just natural soil found around wooded green areas here in the island, it has about a 30% mix of rice hulls, and 10% mix of broken down styrofoam bits with some small bits of wood chips.

These are both the plants now....

DAY #1

View attachment 2003721View attachment 2003723

I'm super excited to see this grow progress... Some details about the lighting setup. It's currently at 75%, 26 inches up, it's whats recommended by the manufacturer for the seedling stage.

I went directly and planted into bigger containers this time, I don't want to have to transplant until it's well into the vegetative stage and the roots have fully developed because the soil is not perfect and it's still clunky, so I want it to grow without interrupting it or stressing it out.

For nutes I will be using the General Hydroponic Flora Series 3 bottle kits sold on Amazon, I'll be using my own home made CalMag, I'll also be using Hydrolyzed Fish food for the plants.

Hope everything goes well this time, I will be keeping the door locked so that my dogs don't eat it this time 😂 wish me luck and all advise and productive criticism is welcome. I'm here to learn, better myself and my grow skills along the way and with a lot of luck get really high in the end 🤞🏻
Many blessings! I feel good about this... It's heartwarming, you seem smart about working with what you have available, and I am a hunit percent cheering you on.

I'm pulling up a comfy chair.

B

BillyBanchan

And using rainwater is smart! Great pH for cannabis, and clean. Clean water and LEDs could be a setup for a calcium or magnesium deficiency. You're in soil so that's a saving grace hopefully.

I am interested to see how your soil works. GH Flora is a great and easy set to use. The ratios on the label can be too hot for cannabis and personally 25 - 50% strength has worked well.

Zerberus

Zerberus

And using rainwater is smart! Great pH for cannabis, and clean. Clean water and LEDs could be a setup for a calcium or magnesium deficiency. You're in soil so that's a saving grace hopefully.

I am interested to see how your soil works. GH Flora is a great and easy set to use. The ratios on the label can be too hot for cannabis and personally 25 - 50% strength has worked well.
Thanks I didn't know I had to dilute the nutes further, so thank you for that advice. All help is welcome 🥳

Zerberus

Zerberus

Many blessings! I feel good about this... It's heartwarming, you seem smart about working with what you have available, and I am a hunit percent cheering you on.

I'm pulling up a comfy chair.
Thank you feels really feel good to have this community behind me helping me along the way, it would be a nightmare without all of you help so every little grain of sand wether it's motivational or advice is always welcome, thank you 🥳

Zerberus

Zerberus

The baby girls are strating to perk up. Guys fyi this post is going to be like my last, super detailed in everything I'm doing inside the grow room, and the plants progress, I know to some it might seem tedious since you have done this 1000 times so if you can bare with me.

For example today I put in a about 6 bowls containing water, to raise the humidity in there since I don't have a store bought humidifier yet here. So I looked online and it was the quickest solution I could find to raising humidity, I know it probably won't help much, not even close to what I actually need, but for now I think something is better than nothing 🤷🏻‍♂️😄
IMG 20230705 212748
IMG 20230705 212744

Look how it is with all the bowls of water 😂 sorry guys I know its an extremely rustic set-up but I gotta make the best of the conditions I'm in.
IMG 20230705 214746

Zerberus

Zerberus

P.s I have some table fans but they are really old and I'm afraid of putting them in there and having them catch fire 😂 so tomorrow I'm going to buy a brand new 20" box fan and put it in there to help strengthen the plants and keep temperatures relatively under control.

cobblestoner

cobblestoner

The baby girls are strating to perk up. Guys fyi this post is going to be like my last, super detailed in everything I'm doing inside the grow room, and the plants progress, I know to some it might seem tedious since you have done this 1000 times so if you can bare with me.

For example today I put in a about 6 bowls containing water, to raise the humidity in there since I don't have a store bought humidifier yet here. So I looked online and it was the quickest solution I could find to raising humidity, I know it probably won't help much, not even close to what I actually need, but for now I think something is better than nothing 🤷🏻‍♂️😄
View attachment 2003919View attachment 2003920

Look how it is with all the bowls of water 😂 sorry guys I know its an extremely rustic set-up but I gotta make the best of the conditions I'm in.View attachment 2003922
If you want more humidity for now have u thought about just a spray bottle and a cut plastic bottle as a dome? They are pretty little so they might like it

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Don't worry too much about relative humidity, i have had RH as low as 20% and didn't notice any signifiant difference in growth rate than with higher RH.

P

phill93

Look how it is with all the bowls of water 😂 sorry guys I know its an extremely rustic set-up but I gotta make the best of the conditions I'm in.if water in the open like that

Look how it is with all the bowls of water 😂 sorry guys I know its an extremely rustic set-up but I gotta make the best of the conditions I'm in.View attachment 2003922
Water in the open like that with a light source is going to grow alge brother, get some panda film and put it up in front of the cupboard 👍💪 Your soil also seems very woody, maybe go over to peat mixed with some worm castings and perlite when you transplant to bigger containers in a couple of weeks? Good luck

P

phill93

Don't worry too much about relative humidity, i have had RH as low as 20% and didn't notice any signifiant difference in growth rate than with higher RH.
This isn't accurate brother. Low humidity will mean the plant has to use more energy to cool themselves down because they use significantly more water. Because they use more water the amount of fertilizer applied also goes down... having a good vpd is key. If I grow outside in the summer (I stay in a very dry area, 15-30% RH) the plants can only take around 1.2 EC. The same plants of a similar size in the same medium take 2.5 EC ALL DAY LONG indoors unders ideal conditions. I'm not saying that you can't grow with low humidity but there is a day and night difference in growth rate and how much the plants will eat. If humidity didn't matter why do you think the commercial growers would bother wasting time and $$$ to keep humidity and temps ideal...

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

sure then explain me why there no difference for me in plant growth with 20 % rh 40-50% rh 70% rh do not impact that significantly growth rate compared to lot of others factor imho.

i have absolute no control with temperature and humidity here, depending the weather and the seasons indoor being in a small appartement
my condition can vary a lot and believe me i m not seeing any visible/noticeable difference in growth rate with signifiant variations regarding temp and humidity all years long.

B

BillyBanchan

sure then explain me why there no difference for me in plant growth with 20 % rh 40-50% rh 70% rh do not impact that significantly growth rate compared to lot of others factor imho.

i have absolute no control with temperature and humidity here, depending the weather and the seasons indoor being in a small appartement
my condition can vary a lot and believe me i m not seeing any visible/noticeable difference in growth rate with signifiant variations regarding temp and humidity all years long.
Cut and dry, it is not. One person's experience, or perception, doesn't automatically mean hard rules for the rest of the universe.

Get familiar with transpiration and VPD, because at the moment, it's your word against the established botany scholars and community.

Zerberus

Zerberus

If you want more humidity for now have u thought about just a spray bottle and a cut plastic bottle as a dome? They are pretty little so they might like it
I did think about this actually, but I was worried about the high temperature inside the dome while I sleep, since their cycle is now 6am to Midnight (18hrs) I thought having the light so close to a plastic dome would burn them inside.

Top Bottom